The Wright Bothers weren't the first to fly. They were just the first not to crash.

tech / sci.physics / Re: Knoppix Operating System :-)

SubjectAuthor
* Knoppix Operating System :-)Physfitfreak
+* Re: Knoppix Operating System :-)Physfit Freak
+* Re: Knoppix Operating System :-)edpr...@gmail.com
|`* Re: Knoppix Operating System :-)bertietaylor
| `- Re: Knoppix Operating System :-)Arindam Banerjee
`* Re: Knoppix Operating System :-)Physfitfreak
 +* Re: Knoppix Operating System :-)Joel
 |`* Re: Knoppix Operating System :-)Physfitfreak
 | `* Re: Knoppix Operating System :-)Physfitfreak
 |  `* Re: Knoppix Operating System :-)Physfitfreak
 |   +- Re: Knoppix Operating System :-)Physfitfreak
 |   `- Re: Knoppix Operating System :-)Jim Pennino
 +* Re: Knoppix Operating System :-)Physfitfreak
 |`* Re: Knoppix Operating System :-)Physfitfreak
 | `- Re: Knoppix Operating System :-)-hh
 `- Re: Knoppix Operating System :-)Physfitfreak

Pages:12
Re: Knoppix Operating System :-)

<v06ak5$9p1p$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8903&group=sci.physics#8903

From: physfitf...@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: sci.physics,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Knoppix Operating System :-)
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 13:34:45 -0500
 by: Physfitfreak - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 18:34 UTC

On 4/22/24 05:56, Joel wrote:
> Physfitfreak <physfitfreak@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 11/8/23 18:11, Physfitfreak wrote:
>>
>>> I recently installed Linux Mint on an old computer.
>>
>> That computer soon after than got pissed at by my cats and went dead.
>>
>> I installed Linux mint again on a newer Dell computer (with SSD), and
>>from a month back have been using nothing but that one. Did various
>> different stuff on it. I should say, now, I like it better than Windows
>> 10. There's a good chance I'll never go back to Windows again.
>>
>> I'm glad I didn't start with Gentoo. If I had gone that route, by now I
>> had either quit Linux altogether, or gone nuts about it like Farley.
>>
>> The level at which I use my computers doesn't ... how should I say it,
>> is not in harmony with that much detail work and expertise in an OS to
>> gain more control over how I want to use my computer.
>>
>> So like Joel, I prefer, certainly for now, to use Mint and get it over
>> with.
>>
>> Ahah! The word is "justify" :-) My use of computers doesn't justify the
>> effort required in learning Gentoo.
>

> Mint is great, you can't go wrong. Some people just want to be
> "leet", so they have to make it harder to install or less pretty.

"Leet" is close, or may be exactly it. I use the word "freak" for it.

The slight advantages, and the fact that they're getting more and more
skilled in it as they learn, make them drift toward nerdiness about it.
I'm myself like that. If I happen to spend a good amount of time,
successfully, in doing a challenging task as I learn it and get better
and better at it, I become entangled in it for the long haul :) I become
a "freak". Hence, "Physfit freak" or "Clutterfreak" or "math or bio or
excel freak" etc.

It really doesn't matter what particular engagement it is that one is
in. It can be something worthy, like Gentoo, or Physics, or sailing,
etc, or it could be something close to nonsense. An example for the
latter case is Carpentier :) Hahhahhahh :-))

The guy is either an AI with all its shortcomings included, or if he
breathes, he is at least at times totally out of it. I'm not making just
idle talk. I _know_ there's something wrong with him.

Ok, now that I spent so many words about that let me finish it too: here
is a quote of what went between me and him a little while back:

Physfit: "I read a little bit about Gentoo's features. Looks like it
is a form of Linux that is ideal for only scientists."

Carpentier: "I don't know what that means. Any tool available on Gentoo
is available somewhere else."

!... Do you see it? A certain wire, or a few wires, are missing in him.
Ok, if it is not that obvious for you mortals to see that, then I'll
bring an analogy for it. Here is the analogy:

Physfit: "For this picnic that I'm participating in, I've made this
wonderful sandwich with just the right ingredients :) "

Carpentier: "I don't know what that means. Any ingredient in your
sandwich is available in any grocery store [so why not taking a grocery
store with you?]. "

Now you see it better, don't you :)

So Carpentier is a "nerd" that chose the silliest form of activity to be
drifted towards. That of, "Just jump at anyone who says stuff about what
you know, regardless of what it is that he says. Jump at him." That's
how silly, a task toward which one can get nerdy, can be.

Fuck, my time is worth more than wasing it on some "Carpentier".

Yes Mint is better than Windows 10. I have tried win10 (on this same
computer, which has SSD), and I did just about any use I've ever had
from a computer using the Mint part of the SSD during last month, and
Mint wins against Windows 10 in everything that I'm concerned with. The
only issue I have with it right now is that when I change the keyboard
layout to a specific form of Persian, the layout works for every app
except Telegram app. With formal Persian layout Telegram app has no
problem, but for informal one like the one I use (phonetic Persian) it
doesn't work. So I have to type everything in a text editor and paste it
into telegram. So far, this is the only issue.

Re: Knoppix Operating System :-)

<6c49c7c05e78e7fe82fe145b5cd5fca1@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8911&group=sci.physics#8911

From: bertieta...@myyahoo.com (bertietaylor)
Newsgroups: sci.physics
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 00:56:54 +0000
 by: bertietaylor - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 00:56 UTC

edpr...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Wednesday, November 8, 2023 at 7:11:19 PM UTC-5, Physfitfreak wrote:
>> I recently installed Linux Mint on an old computer. After going through
> []
> OFF TOPIC in sci.physics!!!!!!!

Apart from Arindam's physics all is rubbish in sci.physics

bt

Re: Knoppix Operating System :-)

<WXmugJO1fsAKRnqWhMq6k-0p_IU@jntp>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8914&group=sci.physics#8914

Newsgroups: sci.physics
JNTP-HashClient: dMPIbNxQleH1PyiF1Q15WAs5RYQ
JNTP-ThreadID: uih831$196f7$2@solani.org
JNTP-Uri: http://news2.nemoweb.net/?DataID=WXmugJO1fsAKRnqWhMq6k-0p_IU@jntp
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 24 08:39:29 +0000
From: banerjee...@gmail.com (Arindam Banerjee)
 by: Arindam Banerjee - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 08:39 UTC

Le 23/04/2024 à 10:56, bertietaylor@myyahoo.com (bertietaylor) a écrit :
> edpr...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, November 8, 2023 at 7:11:19 PM UTC-5, Physfitfreak wrote:
>>> I recently installed Linux Mint on an old computer. After going through
>> []
>> OFF TOPIC in sci.physics!!!!!!!
>
> Apart from Arindam's physics all is rubbish in sci.physics
>

> bt

Thanks, Bertius Bowus Wowus and Tyler "bhooNcho" Taylor.

Indeed the ghosts of my dogs know far better physics than the Nobel
Laureates!

Cheers,
Arindam Banerjee

Re: Knoppix Operating System :-)

<v08vlb$bb31$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8919&group=sci.physics#8919

From: physfitf...@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy,sci.physics
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 13:46:03 -0500
 by: Physfitfreak - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 18:46 UTC

On 4/22/24 23:18, Physfitfreak wrote:
> 8- is capable of weighing options at his disposal and coming up fast
> with the most sensible combination of them (I don't remember the word
> for it right now)

I still cannot remember the word for it. It is a combination of
pragmatism, adaptability, and ingenuity, applied naturally and fast. I
need to refer to my ACOB blog to see what I used for it there. Only the
Persian word for it pops in my mind.

Re: Knoppix Operating System :-)

<v08vs2$bb31$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8920&group=sci.physics#8920

From: physfitf...@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy,sci.physics
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 13:49:38 -0500
 by: Physfitfreak - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 18:49 UTC

On 4/23/24 13:46, Physfitfreak wrote:
> On 4/22/24 23:18, Physfitfreak wrote:
>> 8- is capable of weighing options at his disposal and coming up fast
>> with the most sensible combination of them (I don't remember the word
>> for it right now)
>

> I still cannot remember the word for it. It is a combination of
> pragmatism, adaptability, and ingenuity, applied naturally and fast. I
> need to refer to my ACOB blog to see what I used for it there. Only the
> Persian word for it pops in my mind.

Fuck I found it. "Realistic" :-) Hahhahahh :) He is capable of being
realistic.

Re: Knoppix Operating System :-)

<197877755.735654136.375244.recscuba_google-huntzinger.com@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8930&group=sci.physics#8930

Followup: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: recscuba...@huntzinger.com (-hh)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy,sci.physics
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 07:29:14 -0500
sha1:MlYPpDJECfDWrTYmxm97ZSpgkMQ=
 by: -hh - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 12:29 UTC

Physfitfreak <physfitfreak@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/23/24 13:46, Physfitfreak wrote:
>> On 4/22/24 23:18, Physfitfreak wrote:
>>> 8- is capable of weighing options at his disposal and coming up fast
>>> with the most sensible combination of them (I don't remember the word
>>> for it right now)
>>

>> I still cannot remember the word for it. It is a combination of
>> pragmatism, adaptability, and ingenuity, applied naturally and fast. I
>> need to refer to my ACOB blog to see what I used for it there. Only the
>> Persian word for it pops in my mind.
>

> Fuck I found it. "Realistic" :-) Hahhahahh :) He is capable of being
> realistic.

The word that comes to mind for me to describe Feeb is “deluded”.

Overall, overconfident in their abilities, which then come up short when
gaged against someone with actual mastery. Reminds me of an individual I
met this past week: loud, boisterous talker, but when it comes to walking
the walk, struggles.

I can post a specific example after I download the logs next week.

-hh

Re: Knoppix Operating System :-)

<v0e5un$7iv$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8947&group=sci.physics#8947

From: physfitf...@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy,sci.physics
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 13:04:06 -0500
 by: Physfitfreak - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 18:04 UTC

On 4/24/24 22:41, Physfitfreak wrote:
> On 4/24/24 22:20, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> Burying disco is a great idea; digging it up again isn't.
>>
>> Go listen to Donna Summer’s classic “I Feel Love”. It was called “disco”
>> at the time, but there was sown the seed of techno.
>

> I think Nina Hagen's Zarah was first, not Donna Summers. Or could be
> that I heard of Donna Summers' song a few years after it got out. I'm
> not sure now.

I just checked youtube to see if it gives a date. It has a video-music
of Hagen's that came out in 1983, but I think the song itself was out
way before that.

Re: Knoppix Operating System :-)

<v0utc1$9jra$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=9138&group=sci.physics#9138

From: physfitf...@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: sci.physics,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 1 May 2024 21:21:53 -0500
 by: Physfitfreak - Thu, 2 May 2024 02:21 UTC

On 4/22/24 13:34, Physfitfreak wrote:
> The only issue I have with it right now is that when I change the
> keyboard layout to a specific form of Persian, the layout works for
> every app except Telegram app. With formal Persian layout Telegram app
> has no problem, but for informal one like the one I use (phonetic
> Persian) it doesn't work. So I have to type everything in a text editor
> and paste it into telegram. So far, this is the only issue.

That issue is also at last resolved. Thanks to myself! Neither all those
websites which host the app helped it, nor the developers of the layout
app themselves. I did it.

The online installation of the Keyman phonetic Persian layout is the
culprit. It won't work for the Telegram. One has to download its kmp
file and install it in the computer via iBus. It still won't work unless
you turn the computer off and then back on. Then it works for all apps
including Telegram. _None_ of these steps are explained anywhere. They
either think they're trivial, or they're paid by Microsoft to stop at
that and not take the last vital step.

So the number one shortcoming of Linux for me is now shifted to that
problem. Lack of proper instructions to install their apps.

Re: Knoppix Operating System :-)

<v13ao2$bv87$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=9195&group=sci.physics#9195

From: physfitf...@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: sci.physics,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Fri, 3 May 2024 13:34:42 -0500
 by: Physfitfreak - Fri, 3 May 2024 18:34 UTC

On 5/1/24 21:21, Physfitfreak wrote:

> So the number one shortcoming of Linux for me is now shifted to that
> problem. Lack of proper instructions to install their apps.

There's another problem of course that's probably worth mentioning. Not
only at present, but in Linux's entire lifetime, many of those who know
Linux have had the tendency to keep the knowledge to themselves, while
having the nerve to step into, even reside, in a Linux forum. We have
similar individuals with similar problems in the physics form here too.
So it's not the Linux that does it. It is the individual.

My guess is, such individuals are the cro-magnons and are useless for
the success of Linux OS.

To share information, requires abilities that are often seen in Modern
Human, and only rarely seen in cro-magnons. Read the full discussion of
that in one of my blogs here in sci.physics. A cro-magnon man had to be
born with a certain form of autism to be able to share information as
naturally as Modern Human does. They have to borrow from other parts of
their brains to be able to do it!

It is obvious to me that a few of you in Linux forum should really fuck
off. It doesn't matter how much you know Linux. It's not your place to
be in a "Linux advocacy" forum, if you don't help. Go to your niche Nazi
holes and stay there with the likes of yourselves, and discuss Trump vs
Biden hogwash. You should not be anywhere that I and the like visit. I
share my information, to friend or foe. You miserable little Nazis
don't. Being scared of humans is in your genes. Read my related blog and
find that out!

Re: Knoppix Operating System :-)

<v14afb$cdlu$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=9203&group=sci.physics#9203

From: physfitf...@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy,sci.physics
Date: Fri, 3 May 2024 22:36:11 -0500
 by: Physfitfreak - Sat, 4 May 2024 03:36 UTC

On 5/3/24 19:41, rbowman wrote:

> I've known several very intelligent Iranians; they aren't all assholes.

Hehe :)

You mean assholes towards Nazis, no? Hehe :)

Re: Knoppix Operating System :-)

<kbtfgk-8jt61.ln1@gonzo.specsol.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=9204&group=sci.physics#9204

Followup: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: jim...@gonzo.specsol.net (Jim Pennino)
Newsgroups: sci.physics,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Fri, 3 May 2024 13:17:26 -0700
 by: Jim Pennino - Fri, 3 May 2024 20:17 UTC

In sci.physics Physfitfreak <physfitfreak@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/1/24 21:21, Physfitfreak wrote:
>
>> So the number one shortcoming of Linux for me is now shifted to that
>> problem. Lack of proper instructions to install their apps.
>>

> There's another problem of course that's probably worth mentioning. Not
> only at present, but in Linux's entire lifetime, many of those who know
> Linux have had the tendency to keep the knowledge to themselves,

And yet another Dunning-Kruger post from our resident poster boy for the
syndrom.

The Internet is literally awash with many gigabytes of documentation,
forums and tutorials on the various flavors of Linux.