"It's like deja vu all over again." -- Yogi Berra

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: ChatGPT AI on getting your wheels round

SubjectAuthor
* ChatGPT AI on getting your wheels roundWilliam Crowell
+* Re: ChatGPT AI on getting your wheels roundCatrike Rider
|`* Re: ChatGPT AI on getting your wheels roundWilliam Crowell
| `- Re: ChatGPT AI on getting your wheels roundCatrike Rider
`* Re: ChatGPT AI on getting your wheels roundAMuzi
 `* Re: ChatGPT AI on getting your wheels roundWilliam Crowell
  `* Re: ChatGPT AI on getting your wheels roundAMuzi
   `- Re: ChatGPT AI on getting your wheels roundCatrike Rider

1
ChatGPT AI on getting your wheels round

<1b58ce60-9ed8-4a08-b1b8-399b6ffc4c49n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89465&group=rec.bicycles.tech#89465

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 10:28:36 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: ChatGPT AI on getting your wheels round
From: retroguy...@gmail.com (William Crowell)
 by: William Crowell - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 17:28 UTC

Recently when truing a wheel, I got it true but not as round as I would have liked, so I decided to ask ChatGPT what to do about it. Here's the conversation:

"ChatGPT, when building a bicycle wheel, you've got the spokes tensioned fairly correctly and the rim is true, but the wheel is not as round as you would like it to be, how do you correct the out-of-roundness without having to entirely re-true the wheel?

ChatGPT
Correcting the out-of-roundness of a bicycle wheel without completely re-truing it can be a bit challenging, but it's possible with a technique known as "ovalizing." Ovalizing involves intentionally adjusting the tension of specific spokes to reshape the wheel slightly. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to do it:

Identify the Problem Areas: Spin the wheel and closely observe its movement.. Identify the sections where the rim is out-of-round or noticeably distorted. Mark these areas with a small piece of tape or a marker.

Determine Spoke Tension: Check the spoke tension using a spoke tension meter or by squeezing pairs of adjacent spokes to gauge their relative tension. This will help you identify spokes that need adjustment.

Loosen Opposite Spokes: In the areas where the rim is out-of-round, find the two spokes that are on opposite sides of the rim and closest to the problem area. Loosen these spokes by turning the spoke nipple counterclockwise (when viewed from the rim side) by a quarter turn or so. This will help create some space for the rim to shift in the desired direction.

Tighten Adjacent Spokes: Tighten the adjacent spokes on both sides of the problem area slightly. These spokes will be the ones that are directly next to the loosened spokes. Tightening these spokes will help pull the rim in the direction you want to correct the ovality.

Check Progress: Spin the wheel again and check if the ovality has improved. If it's still not satisfactory, you may need to repeat steps 3 and 4, making smaller adjustments each time. Be patient, as it might take a few iterations to get the desired result.

Regular Truing: After ovalizing the wheel to correct out-of-roundness, you might need to do a bit of regular truing to ensure that the rim is still properly aligned side-to-side. This might involve slight adjustments to spoke tension and ensuring that the wheel remains centered within the frame/fork..

Final Tensioning: Once you've achieved the desired roundness, double-check the overall spoke tension. Make sure it's within the appropriate range for your wheel and rim. A properly tensioned wheel is more likely to stay true and round.

Remember that working with spokes and wheel tension requires some experience and finesse. If you're not confident in your abilities, it's always a good idea to seek assistance from a professional bike mechanic or a more experienced cyclist. Additionally, this ovalizing technique is meant for minor adjustments; if your wheel has significant issues, it might be best to consider a complete re-truing or even professional help."

So what do you guys think of this answer? Is "ovalizing" indeed the right way to correct out-of-roundness? It's a new one on me. Would anybody like to critique ChatGPT's answer??

Re: ChatGPT AI on getting your wheels round

<bmavdi93obduq6p9vd7dvidtn9cipvtubq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89466&group=rec.bicycles.tech#89466

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: ChatGPT AI on getting your wheels round
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 13:37:39 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 17:37 UTC

On Fri, 18 Aug 2023 10:28:36 -0700 (PDT), William Crowell
<retroguybilly@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
>Final Tensioning: Once you've achieved the desired roundness, double-check the overall spoke tension. Make sure it's within the appropriate range for your wheel and rim. A properly tensioned wheel is more likely to stay true and round.
>
>Remember that working with spokes and wheel tension requires some experience and finesse. If you're not confident in your abilities, it's always a good idea to seek assistance from a professional bike mechanic or a more experienced cyclist. Additionally, this ovalizing technique is meant for minor adjustments; if your wheel has significant issues, it might be best to consider a complete re-truing or even professional help."
>
>So what do you guys think of this answer? Is "ovalizing" indeed the right way to correct out-of-roundness? It's a new one on me. Would anybody like to critique ChatGPT's answer??

That's what I did, just a few days ago. I did side to side, than
round, then went around looking for,and tightning any loose spokes,
then side to side again, and then round again. I don't have anything
to check spoke tension except my fingers and the spoke wrench. It's
always worked for me. I have several rides in since I did that, so I
probably should check it all again... but it looks and sounds good,
so maybe I won't.

Re: ChatGPT AI on getting your wheels round

<uboasq$bidp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89467&group=rec.bicycles.tech#89467

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 12:48:11 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 17:48 UTC

On 8/18/2023 12:28 PM, William Crowell wrote:
> [...]
>
> Final Tensioning: Once you've achieved the desired roundness, double-check the overall spoke tension. Make sure it's within the appropriate range for your wheel and rim. A properly tensioned wheel is more likely to stay true and round.
>
> Remember that working with spokes and wheel tension requires some experience and finesse. If you're not confident in your abilities, it's always a good idea to seek assistance from a professional bike mechanic or a more experienced cyclist. Additionally, this ovalizing technique is meant for minor adjustments; if your wheel has significant issues, it might be best to consider a complete re-truing or even professional help."
>
> So what do you guys think of this answer? Is "ovalizing" indeed the right way to correct out-of-roundness? It's a new one on me. Would anybody like to critique ChatGPT's answer??

Those comments may be interesting I suppose.

Fastest way to get a not round wheel round is to drop the
tension two or three turns all around, lubricate threads if
they are not already, bring it to round and then tension evenly.

Re: ChatGPT AI on getting your wheels round

<39aa8f8c-7b09-4981-bc1f-19be8658aa35n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89468&group=rec.bicycles.tech#89468

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 10:49:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: retroguy...@gmail.com (William Crowell)
 by: William Crowell - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 17:49 UTC

On Friday, August 18, 2023 at 10:37:43 AM UTC-7, Catrike Rider wrote:
> [...]
> >
> >So what do you guys think of this answer? Is "ovalizing" indeed the right way to correct out-of-roundness? It's a new one on me. Would anybody like to critique ChatGPT's answer??
> >

> That's what I did, just a few days ago. I did side to side, than
> round, then went around looking for,and tightning any loose spokes,
> then side to side again, and then round again. I don't have anything
> to check spoke tension except my fingers and the spoke wrench. It's
> always worked for me. I have several rides in since I did that, so I
> probably should check it all again... but it looks and sounds good,
Catrike, when you corrected for roundness, did you do it the way ChatGPT says you should, or some other way?

Re: ChatGPT AI on getting your wheels round

<024ac4ac-90d0-4407-89b7-8f9b41b6425cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89469&group=rec.bicycles.tech#89469

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 10:52:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: retroguy...@gmail.com (William Crowell)
 by: William Crowell - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 17:52 UTC

On Friday, August 18, 2023 at 10:48:12 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > Remember that working with spokes and wheel tension requires some experience and finesse. If you're not confident in your abilities, it's always a good idea to seek assistance from a professional bike mechanic or a more experienced cyclist. Additionally, this ovalizing technique is meant for minor adjustments; if your wheel has significant issues, it might be best to consider a complete re-truing or even professional help."
> >
> > So what do you guys think of this answer? Is "ovalizing" indeed the right way to correct out-of-roundness? It's a new one on me. Would anybody like to critique ChatGPT's answer??
> >

> Those comments may be interesting I suppose.
>
> Fastest way to get a not round wheel round is to drop the
> tension two or three turns all around, lubricate threads if
> they are not already, bring it to round and then tension evenly.
Right, Andrew, I know that's the way I should do it, but I was just curious as the devil if there were some other way to do it that would work and might be easier than readjusting every spoke.

Re: ChatGPT AI on getting your wheels round

<ubobso$bmtf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89470&group=rec.bicycles.tech#89470

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 13:05:13 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 18:05 UTC

On 8/18/2023 12:52 PM, William Crowell wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> So what do you guys think of this answer? Is "ovalizing" indeed the right way to correct out-of-roundness? It's a new one on me. Would anybody like to critique ChatGPT's answer??
>>>

>> Those comments may be interesting I suppose.
>>
>> Fastest way to get a not round wheel round is to drop the
>> tension two or three turns all around, lubricate threads if
>> they are not already, bring it to round and then tension evenly.
> Right, Andrew, I know that's the way I should do it, but I was just curious as the devil if there were some other way to do it that would work and might be easier than readjusting every spoke.

Well, in theory the end result should be indentical,
regardless of process. Our limiting resource is time, which
we bill in US dollars, so we seek the most time-efficient
process.

Re: ChatGPT AI on getting your wheels round

<j4fvdi9lki3a6k4tbabs7l84q9r544mce6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89471&group=rec.bicycles.tech#89471

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 14:48:30 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 18:48 UTC

On Fri, 18 Aug 2023 10:49:10 -0700 (PDT), William Crowell
> [...]

>> >So what do you guys think of this answer? Is "ovalizing" indeed the right way to correct out-of-roundness? It's a new one on me. Would anybody like to critique ChatGPT's answer??
>> >

>> That's what I did, just a few days ago. I did side to side, than
>> round, then went around looking for,and tightning any loose spokes,
>> then side to side again, and then round again. I don't have anything
>> to check spoke tension except my fingers and the spoke wrench. It's
>> always worked for me. I have several rides in since I did that, so I
>> probably should check it all again... but it looks and sounds good,
>> so maybe I won't.
>Catrike, when you corrected for roundness, did you do it the way ChatGPT says you should, or some other way?

No, I just loosened where it was too narrow and tightened where it was
to wide..

Re: ChatGPT AI on getting your wheels round

<39fvditcndkpap1frmvoomsubtjlkq131d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89472&group=rec.bicycles.tech#89472

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 14:51:02 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 18:51 UTC

On Fri, 18 Aug 2023 13:05:13 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>On 8/18/2023 12:52 PM, William Crowell wrote:

>>> Those comments may be interesting I suppose.
>>>
>>> Fastest way to get a not round wheel round is to drop the
>>> tension two or three turns all around, lubricate threads if
>>> they are not already, bring it to round and then tension evenly.
>> Right, Andrew, I know that's the way I should do it, but I was just curious as the devil if there were some other way to do it that would work and might be easier than readjusting every spoke.
>
>Well, in theory the end result should be indentical,
>regardless of process. Our limiting resource is time, which
>we bill in US dollars, so we seek the most time-efficient
>process.

Well, my process took me all afternoon. I'm not real fast, but I'm
half fast.. ;)