Beeping is cute, if you are in the office ;) -- Alan Cox

tech / sci.electronics.design / Optics/"holography" question

SubjectAuthor
* Optics/"holography" questionbitrex
+- Re: Optics/"holography" questioncorvid
`* Re: Optics/"holography" questionDon Y
 +* Re: Optics/"holography" questionbitrex
 |+* Re: Optics/"holography" questionDon Y
 ||`- Re: Optics/"holography" questionDecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
 |`- Re: Optics/"holography" questionSylvia Else
 `- Re: Optics/"holography" questionDecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

1
Optics/"holography" question

<2AcMJ.9141$GjY3.253@fx01.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89575&group=sci.electronics.design#89575

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Subject: Optics/"holography" question
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 12:23:06 -0500
 by: bitrex - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 17:23 UTC

This is a page from a patent for a "hologram" (not really) video game
(the game was built, it kinda sucked otherwise but I recall in-person
the optical effect was pretty remarkable for it finally being a
variation on Pepper's Ghost):

<http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MSBMPgiiXZU/UzZXaAD4A3I/AAAAAAAAC4g/YSW_Wdq94aI/s1600/tt3.PNG>

Seems like something isn't entirely clear from the diagram, though,
wouldn't there have to be another partially reflective piece of material
on the "stage" on top at 45 degree angle to project the image coming
from the hemispherical mirror down below to the user? Maybe that's
implied in the text but I can't immediately find the original patent.

It also seemed to me that image quality could be improved with modern
tech by pre-distorting the image with respect to the transmission path
and particular characteristics of the final display medium but looks
like Disney claims that's a non-obvious patent-able innovation:

<https://patents.google.com/patent/US8262226>

Re: Optics/"holography" question

<strpai$ef9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89579&group=sci.electronics.design#89579

From: bl...@ckb.ird (corvid)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Optics/"holography" question
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 10:44:33 -0800
 by: corvid - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 18:44 UTC

On 2/7/22 09:23, bitrex wrote:
> This is a page from a patent for a "hologram" (not really) video
> game (the game was built, it kinda sucked otherwise but I recall
> in-person the optical effect was pretty remarkable for it finally
> being a variation on Pepper's Ghost):
>
> <http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MSBMPgiiXZU/UzZXaAD4A3I/AAAAAAAAC4g/YSW_Wdq94aI/s1600/tt3.PNG>
>

> Seems like something isn't entirely clear from the diagram, though,
> wouldn't there have to be another partially reflective piece of
> material on the "stage" on top at 45 degree angle to project the
> image coming from the hemispherical mirror down below to the user?

What's the arc over the stage for?

> Maybe that's implied in the text but I can't immediately find the
> original patent.

I have a desktop Mirage
https://optigone.com/

Re: Optics/"holography" question

<sts1tt$3dc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89585&group=sci.electronics.design#89585

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 14:11:13 -0700
 by: Don Y - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 21:11 UTC

On 2/7/2022 10:23 AM, bitrex wrote:
> This is a page from a patent for a "hologram" (not really) video game (the game
> was built, it kinda sucked otherwise but I recall in-person the optical effect
> was pretty remarkable for it finally being a variation on Pepper's Ghost):

Disney had a 3D display at Disney World (Fla?) ~40+ years ago. IIRC,
it was very small (breadbox sized) and didn't show off its capabilities
particularly well. (I'm trying to recall what part of the park
it was located in; I want to say near the "Eastern" exhibit?)

Re: Optics/"holography" question

<j%hMJ.3370$i65a.3056@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89589&group=sci.electronics.design#89589

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 18:33:35 -0500
 by: bitrex - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 23:33 UTC

On 2/7/2022 4:11 PM, Don Y wrote:
> On 2/7/2022 10:23 AM, bitrex wrote:
>> This is a page from a patent for a "hologram" (not really) video game
>> (the game was built, it kinda sucked otherwise but I recall in-person
>> the optical effect was pretty remarkable for it finally being a
>> variation on Pepper's Ghost):
>
> Disney had a 3D display at Disney World (Fla?) ~40+ years ago.  IIRC,
> it was very small (breadbox sized) and didn't show off its capabilities
> particularly well.  (I'm trying to recall what part of the park
> it was located in; I want to say near the "Eastern" exhibit?)

Long time since I've been to the Magic Kingdom, I recall it was their
15th anniversary at the time (I can still hear the music in my head,
fifteeen years, we're having a paaaarty...) so that was late 1986 or
early 1987 maybe, I remember it was pretty snowy back home.

Didn't know anything about Pepper's Ghost at that age but I remember the
haunted house ride where they project a ghost into your moving carriage
during the ride, and I think that used a variant of the illusion.

Main other thing I remember was Space Mountain was closed for
renovation, very disappointing. But there was another ride that went
through it that was still running, the floodlights were all on and guys
climbing scaffolds and welding the tracks, pretty mind-blowing stuff for
8 y/o me regardless.

Looks like Disney is laying claim to the process of pre-distorting
images to project inside spheres?

Disney seems to have several other patents on various aspects of PG e.g.

<https://patents.google.com/patent/US7883212B2/en>

and

<https://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?Docid=11210843&h>

"A Disney spokesperson said the company 'files hundreds of patents each
year as we explore developing technologies.'"

Not an expert but these look like pretty lame patents.

Re: Optics/"holography" question

<stsci9$bpd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89590&group=sci.electronics.design#89590

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 17:12:44 -0700
 by: Don Y - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 00:12 UTC

On 2/7/2022 4:33 PM, bitrex wrote:
> On 2/7/2022 4:11 PM, Don Y wrote:
>> On 2/7/2022 10:23 AM, bitrex wrote:
>>> This is a page from a patent for a "hologram" (not really) video game (the
>>> game was built, it kinda sucked otherwise but I recall in-person the optical
>>> effect was pretty remarkable for it finally being a variation on Pepper's
>>> Ghost):
>>
>> Disney had a 3D display at Disney World (Fla?) ~40+ years ago. IIRC,
>> it was very small (breadbox sized) and didn't show off its capabilities
>> particularly well. (I'm trying to recall what part of the park
>> it was located in; I want to say near the "Eastern" exhibit?)
>
> Long time since I've been to the Magic Kingdom, I recall it was their 15th
> anniversary at the time (I can still hear the music in my head, fifteeen years,
> we're having a paaaarty...) so that was late 1986 or early 1987 maybe, I
> remember it was pretty snowy back home.

This had to be a decade earlier as I'd left the East coast long before.
I recall a trip to Disney *Land* (SoCal) some time later -- my first
experience with the night-time fireworks display and the "show" on
the island (?).

> Didn't know anything about Pepper's Ghost at that age but I remember the
> haunted house ride where they project a ghost into your moving carriage during
> the ride, and I think that used a variant of the illusion.
>
> Main other thing I remember was Space Mountain was closed for renovation, very
> disappointing. But there was another ride that went through it that was still
> running, the floodlights were all on and guys climbing scaffolds and welding
> the tracks, pretty mind-blowing stuff for 8 y/o me regardless.

IIRC, no Space Mountain, at that time. No Epcot, etc. ISTR riding it at
Disney*Land*, much later in life. Hard to keep track of which visit was
to which park and at what time, etc.

[I do recall riding on a "simulator" -- Back to the Future? -- at Disney
Land as a colleague treated me to the trip. He was annoyed because I spent
the "ride" trying to map the motions of the "car" using my camera dangling
as a "down indicator" instead of enjoying the presentation. What he failed
to appreciate was that I found the information from observing the camera's
indication of our orientation -- contrasted with what I *thought* -- to be
absolutely fascinating! How easy it is to deceive the senses!]

> Looks like Disney is laying claim to the process of pre-distorting images to
> project inside spheres?
>
> Disney seems to have several other patents on various aspects of PG e.g.
>
> <https://patents.google.com/patent/US7883212B2/en>
>
> and
>
> <https://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?Docid=11210843&h>
>
> "A Disney spokesperson said the company 'files hundreds of patents each year as
> we explore developing technologies.'"
>
> Not an expert but these look like pretty lame patents.

Patent doesn't have to be "meaningful"... just *first*!

They can be really harmful to the *holder* -- by stifling *his* innovation!
The thinking is that they've already "solved" THE problem and, so, cling
to their solution... while their competitors innovate PAST them!

I've worked with a lot of startups/tiger teams. There, a patent can help make
the startup more marketable (for acquisition). But, I suspect a good many
patents benefit the patent attorney more than the holder!

Re: Optics/"holography" question

<stsell$1f82$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89591&group=sci.electronics.design#89591

From: Decadent...@decadence.org
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 00:48:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Decadent...@decadence.org - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 00:48 UTC

Don Y <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid> wrote in

> On 2/7/2022 10:23 AM, bitrex wrote:
>> This is a page from a patent for a "hologram" (not really) video
>> game (the game was built, it kinda sucked otherwise but I recall
>> in-person the optical effect was pretty remarkable for it finally
>> being a variation on Pepper's Ghost):
>
> Disney had a 3D display at Disney World (Fla?) ~40+ years ago.
> IIRC, it was very small (breadbox sized) and didn't show off its
> capabilities particularly well. (I'm trying to recall what part
> of the park it was located in; I want to say near the "Eastern"
> exhibit?)

There is a museum of Holography in New York City.

Went there in the mid '80s. It (holography) was not nearly as
advanced as now (for what we were seeing). I am sure the military
applications were far more advanced.

It is still there but they call it "Holographic Studios" now.

Re: Optics/"holography" question

<stsetf$1f82$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89592&group=sci.electronics.design#89592

From: Decadent...@decadence.org
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 00:53:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Decadent...@decadence.org - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 00:53 UTC

Don Y <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid> wrote in news:stsci9$bpd$1@dont-
email.me:

> How easy it is to deceive the senses!]

Yeah, just look at all those deceived Trump voters.
They seem to think that Trump's fat skanky criminal ass tastes good.

Re: Optics/"holography" question

<j6e20tFnqrmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89594&group=sci.electronics.design#89594

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 13:14:53 +1100
 by: Sylvia Else - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 02:14 UTC

On 08-Feb-22 10:33 am, bitrex wrote:
> On 2/7/2022 4:11 PM, Don Y wrote:

> Not an expert but these look like pretty lame patents.

It may be a defensive patent - one not intended to make money, but just
to protect against someone else obtaining a patent and seeking to
extract rent thereby.

Sylvia.