Any given program, when running, is obsolete.

tech / sci.electronics.design / Digital TV receiver on a chip

SubjectAuthor
* Digital TV receiver on a chipSid 03
+- Re: Digital TV receiver on a chipDecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
+- Re: Digital TV receiver on a chipAnthony William Sloman
+- Re: Digital TV receiver on a chipBob Engelhardt
+* Re: Digital TV receiver on a chipJan Panteltje
|`* Re: Digital TV receiver on a chipDon
| `* Re: Digital TV receiver on a chipSid 03
|  `* Re: Digital TV receiver on a chipDave Platt
|   `* Re: Digital TV receiver on a chipClifford Heath
|    +* Re: Digital TV receiver on a chipDave Platt
|    |`- Re: Digital TV receiver on a chipClifford Heath
|    `* Re: Digital TV receiver on a chipWim Ton
|     `- Re: Digital TV receiver on a chipJan Panteltje
+- Re:Digital TV receiver on a chipMartin Rid
+* Re: Digital TV receiver on a chipPhil Allison
|`* Re: Digital TV receiver on a chipLasse Langwadt Christensen
| +* Re: Digital TV receiver on a chipPhil Allison
| |+- Re: Digital TV receiver on a chipRick C
| |`- Re: Digital TV receiver on a chipwhit3rd
| `* Re: Digital TV receiver on a chipMartin Brown
|  `- Re: Digital TV receiver on a chipDecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
+* Re: Digital TV receiver on a chipLM
|`* Re: Digital TV receiver on a chipDon
| `- Re: Digital TV receiver on a chipRick C
`* Re: Digital TV receiver on a chipJasen Betts
 `- Re: Digital TV receiver on a chipDecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Pages:12
Digital TV receiver on a chip

<6bf69509-6a30-45a5-b1f0-0d2a4b82926en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89615&group=sci.electronics.design#89615

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 05:43:38 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Digital TV receiver on a chip
From: sidwe...@gmail.com (Sid 03)
 by: Sid 03 - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 13:43 UTC

Can someone recommend a chip that will allow a simple circuit to be built that will allow the user to tune in a local TV stations and listen to the Audio portion only. I know that most of the terrestrial TV stations have converted over to digital broadcasting, but does that include the audio signal ? Would it be that hard to build a small radio to listen to the audio portion ?

Thanks

Re: Digital TV receiver on a chip

<sttt60$1fu0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89620&group=sci.electronics.design#89620

From: Decadent...@decadence.org
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Digital TV receiver on a chip
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 14:02:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Decadent...@decadence.org - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 14:02 UTC

Sid 03 <sidwelle@gmail.com> wrote in

> Can someone recommend a chip that will allow a simple circuit to
> be built that will allow the user to tune in a local TV stations
> and listen to the Audio portion only. I know that most of the
> terrestrial TV stations have converted over to digital
> broadcasting, but does that include the audio signal ? Would it
> be that hard to build a small radio to listen to the audio portion
> ?
>
> Thanks

The digital transmissions carry the program audio digitized as well.
You would only be able to get TV stations that still also broadcast
analog, but I do not think there are any in the US any longer.

There were multi-band radio recievers back in the '60s and up that
had multiple bands and many also had the TV broadcast band in them as
well.

But no... no signals... and no, no chip.

Re: Digital TV receiver on a chip

<a84e64be-faa4-4de7-8a2e-8111ca6221d3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89621&group=sci.electronics.design#89621

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 06:13:57 -0800 (PST)
From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Anthony William Sloman)
 by: Anthony William Slom - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 14:13 UTC

On Wednesday, February 9, 2022 at 12:43:46 AM UTC+11, sidw...@gmail.com wrote:
> Can someone recommend a chip that will allow a simple circuit to be built that will allow the user to tune in a local TV stations and listen to the Audio portion only. I know that most of the terrestrial TV stations have converted over to digital broadcasting, but does that include the audio signal ? Would it be that hard to build a small radio to listen to the audio portion ?

It's probably an unrealistric ambition. The processing schemes that compress the television signal - video and audio - into a very fast digital bit stream are remarkably complicated and entirely digital, and the decoding process that corrects some of the errors that creep in is pretty complicated too.

Look at the kind of TV sound and image you get during a thunderstorm, when the error correction gets over-loaded.

It all works because you can make lots of complicated high performance special purpose integrated circuits remarkably cheaply, but only for that one special purpose.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: Digital TV receiver on a chip

<2ovMJ.46396$t2Bb.31758@fx98.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89622&group=sci.electronics.design#89622

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: BobEngel...@comcast.net (Bob Engelhardt)
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 09:47:26 -0500
 by: Bob Engelhardt - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 14:47 UTC

How about an ota converter box? E.g.:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08WWTS9FJ/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

For $25 you can save yourself the work and have a bunch of features that
you won't use :-)

Re: Digital TV receiver on a chip

<stu1ql$uf4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89625&group=sci.electronics.design#89625

From: pNaonStp...@yahoo.com (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2022 15:22:20 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.com/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 15:22 UTC

On a sunny day (Tue, 8 Feb 2022 05:43:38 -0800 (PST)) it happened Sid 03
<sidwelle@gmail.com> wrote in
<6bf69509-6a30-45a5-b1f0-0d2a4b82926en@googlegroups.com>:

>Can someone recommend a chip that will allow a simple circuit to be built that
>will allow the user to tune in a local TV stations and listen to the Audio
>portion only. I know that most of the terrestrial TV stations have converted
>over to digital broadcasting, but does that include the audio signal
>? Would it be that hard to build a small radio to listen to the audio portion
>?
>
>Thanks

Type in google:
ebay digital usb tv stick

first hit:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/304053461399
looks like European standard, US may need a different one.
That said, I have several rtl-sdr sticks that are in essence digital TV decoders
but can be used for a wide spectrum of applications with the right software.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/272411458376

my spectrum analyzer uses that thing:
http://panteltje.com/panteltje/xpsa/index.html
and has radio too (new version has FM stereo too).

Lots of software and projects with it:
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/

more:
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/big-list-rtl-sdr-supported-software/

Inside, actually 2 chips:
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/improvements_v3new800x800.jpg?ffccfa&ffccfa

For the money a small miracle.

Re:Digital TV receiver on a chip

<stu3rp$cvp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89627&group=sci.electronics.design#89627

From: martin_r...@verison.net (Martin Rid)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 10:56:37 -0500 (EST)
 by: Martin Rid - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 15:56 UTC

Sid 03 <sidwelle@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
> Can someone recommend a chip that will allow a simple circuit to be built that will allow the user to tune in a local TV stations and listen to the Audio portion only. I know that most of the terrestrial TV stations have converted over to digital broadcasting, but does that include the audio signal ? Would it be that hard to build a small radio to listen to the audio portion ?Thanks

Very complicated. I'd buy a small portable TV, like the old
haier. But make sure its atsc 3.0

Cheers
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----

Re: Digital TV receiver on a chip

<00084607-8a66-4d71-9b73-174295e7cf74n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89633&group=sci.electronics.design#89633

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 10:40:11 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 18:40 UTC

sidw...@gmail.com wrote:
=====================

> Can someone recommend a chip that will allow a simple circuit to be built that will allow
> the user to tune in a local TV stations and listen to the Audio portion only.

** No such thing exists.

> I know that most of the terrestrial TV stations have converted over to digital broadcasting,
> but does that include the audio signal ?

** You bet it does. Fully digital in multi channel too.

> Would it be that hard to build a small radio to listen to the audio portion ?

** A "set top box" will do what you ask.
Converts the digital TV signal back to analogue video and stereo audio.
Should be able to get a used one for next to nothing.

....... Phil

Re: Digital TV receiver on a chip

<4ae50hpkgjmfem3j0o6nc0d1kvkca3d8au@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89634&group=sci.electronics.design#89634

From: sala.n...@mail.com (LM)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2022 20:43:25 +0200
 by: LM - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 18:43 UTC

On Tue, 8 Feb 2022 05:43:38 -0800 (PST), Sid 03 <sidwelle@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Can someone recommend a chip that will allow a simple circuit to be built that will allow the user to tune in a local TV stations and listen to the Audio portion only. I know that most of the terrestrial TV stations have converted over to digital broadcasting, but does that include the audio signal ? Would it be that hard to build a small radio to listen to the audio portion ?
>
>Thanks
What is the name of Digi TV modulation. There are chips that modulate
video and audio to Digi Tv. So, sure there demodulator chips also.
Chip in RTL dongle?

Re: Digital TV receiver on a chip

<9953b3ea-97b5-4f8a-b5fa-77272743fee0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89638&group=sci.electronics.design#89638

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 11:14:48 -0800 (PST)
From: langw...@fonz.dk (Lasse Langwadt Christensen)
 by: Lasse Langwadt Chris - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 19:14 UTC

tirsdag den 8. februar 2022 kl. 19.40.20 UTC+1 skrev palli...@gmail.com:
> sidw...@gmail.com wrote:
> =====================
> >
> > Can someone recommend a chip that will allow a simple circuit to be built that will allow
> > the user to tune in a local TV stations and listen to the Audio portion only.
> ** No such thing exists.
> > I know that most of the terrestrial TV stations have converted over to digital broadcasting,
> > but does that include the audio signal ?
> ** You bet it does. Fully digital in multi channel too.
> > Would it be that hard to build a small radio to listen to the audio portion ?
> ** A "set top box" will do what you ask.
> Converts the digital TV signal back to analogue video and stereo audio.
> Should be able to get a used one for next to nothing.

it would work, but I'm not sure how easy it is to control without a display

Re: Digital TV receiver on a chip

<797aa0ae-4afc-4469-a8bd-ca981cc42f9fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89642&group=sci.electronics.design#89642

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 11:34:54 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 19:34 UTC

lang...@fonz.dk wrote:
==================

> > > Would it be that hard to build a small radio to listen to the audio portion ?
> > ** A "set top box" will do what you ask.
> > Converts the digital TV signal back to analogue video and stereo audio.
> > Should be able to get a used one for next to nothing.
>
> it would work, but I'm not sure how easy it is to control without a display

** True - the OP's question is rather nutty.
Probably wants portable and battery operated too.

The name of this NG attracts many such narcissists.

...... Phil

Re: Digital TV receiver on a chip

<20220208a@crcomp.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89644&group=sci.electronics.design#89644

From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 19:40:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 19:40 UTC

LM wrote:
> Sid 03 wrote:
>
>>Can someone recommend a chip that will allow a simple circuit to be built
>>that will allow the user to tune in a local TV stations and listen to the
>>Audio portion only. I know that most of the terrestrial TV stations
>>have converted over to digital broadcasting, but does that include the
>>audio signal ? Would it be that hard to build a small radio to listen
>>to the audio portion ?
>>
>>Thanks
> What is the name of Digi TV modulation. There are chips that modulate
> video and audio to Digi Tv. So, sure there demodulator chips also.
> Chip in RTL dongle?

Great minds... Although RTL-SDR's original purpose was to watch DVB-T,
it's unknown to me how well it functions with ATSC:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=atsc+rtl-sdr

Danke,

--
Don, KB7RPU, https://www.qsl.net/kb7rpu
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;

Re: Digital TV receiver on a chip

<8109ea8d-e6a7-47ea-a0ca-dd1c39893cd8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89653&group=sci.electronics.design#89653

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 15:13:51 -0800 (PST)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Rick C)
 by: Rick C - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 23:13 UTC

On Tuesday, February 8, 2022 at 2:35:01 PM UTC-5, palli...@gmail.com wrote:
> lang...@fonz.dk wrote:
> =================> >
> > > ** A "set top box" will do what you ask.
> > > Converts the digital TV signal back to analogue video and stereo audio.
> > > Should be able to get a used one for next to nothing.
> >
> > it would work, but I'm not sure how easy it is to control without a display
> >
> ** True - the OP's question is rather nutty.
> Probably wants portable and battery operated too.
>
> The name of this NG attracts many such narcissists.

I actually laugh out loud at some of your posts. This was funny in multiple ways. First was the idea that because this guy wants something you can't appreciate, he must be a "narcissist". Then there is the fact of it being a bit of the pot calling the kettle black.

You are too much sometimes!

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: Digital TV receiver on a chip

<eb3dc255-8032-402c-8470-5535438ef3adn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89654&group=sci.electronics.design#89654

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 15:19:07 -0800 (PST)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Rick C)
 by: Rick C - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 23:19 UTC

On Tuesday, February 8, 2022 at 2:40:55 PM UTC-5, Don wrote:
> LM wrote:
> > Sid 03 wrote:
> >
> >>Can someone recommend a chip that will allow a simple circuit to be built
> >>that will allow the user to tune in a local TV stations and listen to the
> >>Audio portion only. I know that most of the terrestrial TV stations
> >>have converted over to digital broadcasting, but does that include the
> >>audio signal ? Would it be that hard to build a small radio to listen
> >>to the audio portion ?
> >>
> >>Thanks
> > What is the name of Digi TV modulation. There are chips that modulate
> > video and audio to Digi Tv. So, sure there demodulator chips also.
> > Chip in RTL dongle?
> Great minds... Although RTL-SDR's original purpose was to watch DVB-T,
> it's unknown to me how well it functions with ATSC:
>
> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=atsc+rtl-sdr

If he actually wants to listen to shows over the air using an antenna then yeah, something that will receive the signal and convert it would be needed.. If he just wants to listen to the shows, period, then he can possibly use pretty much any small, cheap computer to view it over the Internet. Many shows are available that way and a small computer is much handier than an old TV. I suppose a Raspberry Pi could be used for this and run off of Phil's battery.

--

Rick C.

+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: Digital TV receiver on a chip

<20220208b@crcomp.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89657&group=sci.electronics.design#89657

From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 23:37:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 23:37 UTC

Jan Panteltje wrote:
> Sid 03 wrote:
>
>>Can someone recommend a chip that will allow a simple circuit to be built that
>>will allow the user to tune in a local TV stations and listen to the Audio
>>portion only. I know that most of the terrestrial TV stations have converted
>>over to digital broadcasting, but does that include the audio signal
>>? Would it be that hard to build a small radio to listen to the audio portion
>>?
>>
>>Thanks
>
> Type in google:
> ebay digital usb tv stick
>
> first hit:
> https://www.ebay.com/itm/304053461399
> looks like European standard, US may need a different one.
>
> That said, I have several rtl-sdr sticks that are in essence digital TV decoders
> but can be used for a wide spectrum of applications with the right software.
> https://www.ebay.com/itm/272411458376
>
> my spectrum analyzer uses that thing:
> http://panteltje.com/panteltje/xpsa/index.html
> and has radio too (new version has FM stereo too).
>
> Lots of software and projects with it:
> https://www.rtl-sdr.com/
>
> more:
> https://www.rtl-sdr.com/big-list-rtl-sdr-supported-software/
>
> Inside, actually 2 chips:
> https://www.rtl-sdr.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/improvements_v3new800x800.jpg?ffccfa&ffccfa
>
> For the money a small miracle.

Great minds again... Somehow your follow up was overlooked by me until
now. ATSC compatibility still seems somewhat problematic.
Your first link says it supports DVB-T2, DVB-T, DVB-C, and the
VHF-/UHF band. But it doesn't support ATSC. It's hard for me to
understand why anyone in the USA would buy it, even if it's "USA stock"
with free shipping. :)

Danke,

--
Don, KB7RPU, https://www.qsl.net/kb7rpu
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day In a relative way And returned on the previous night.

Re: Digital TV receiver on a chip

<14f9f4d3-3850-4ba2-a6db-3b92043086bfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89672&group=sci.electronics.design#89672

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 20:12:06 -0800 (PST)
From: sidwe...@gmail.com (Sid 03)
 by: Sid 03 - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 04:12 UTC

On Tuesday, February 8, 2022 at 5:37:28 PM UTC-6, Don wrote:
> Jan Panteltje wrote:
> > Sid 03 wrote:
> >
> >>Can someone recommend a chip that will allow a simple circuit to be built that
> >>will allow the user to tune in a local TV stations and listen to the Audio
> >>portion only. I know that most of the terrestrial TV stations have converted
> >>over to digital broadcasting, but does that include the audio signal
> >>? Would it be that hard to build a small radio to listen to the audio portion
> >>?
> >>
> >>Thanks
> >
> > Type in google:
> > ebay digital usb tv stick
> >
> > first hit:
> > https://www.ebay.com/itm/304053461399
> > looks like European standard, US may need a different one.
> >
> > That said, I have several rtl-sdr sticks that are in essence digital TV decoders
> > but can be used for a wide spectrum of applications with the right software.
> > https://www.ebay.com/itm/272411458376
> >
> > my spectrum analyzer uses that thing:
> > http://panteltje.com/panteltje/xpsa/index.html
> > and has radio too (new version has FM stereo too).
> >
> > Lots of software and projects with it:
> > https://www.rtl-sdr.com/
> >
> > more:
> > https://www.rtl-sdr.com/big-list-rtl-sdr-supported-software/
> >
> > Inside, actually 2 chips:
> > https://www.rtl-sdr.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/improvements_v3new800x800.jpg?ffccfa&ffccfa
> >
> > For the money a small miracle.
> Great minds again... Somehow your follow up was overlooked by me until
> now. ATSC compatibility still seems somewhat problematic.
> Your first link says it supports DVB-T2, DVB-T, DVB-C, and the
> VHF-/UHF band. But it doesn't support ATSC. It's hard for me to
> understand why anyone in the USA would buy it, even if it's "USA stock"
> with free shipping. :)
> Danke,
>
> --
> Don, KB7RPU, https://www.qsl.net/kb7rpu
> There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;
> She set out one day In a relative way And returned on the previous night.

Jan, one of the USB sticks might work. I would like to find one that I could control w/Arduino or something small.
Thanks

Re: Digital TV receiver on a chip

<su07eo$c18$1@gonzo.revmaps.no-ip.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89680&group=sci.electronics.design#89680

From: use...@revmaps.no-ip.org (Jasen Betts)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 11:10:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jasen Betts - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 11:10 UTC

On 2022-02-08, Sid 03 <sidwelle@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can someone recommend a chip that will allow a simple circuit to be
> built that will allow the user to tune in a local TV stations and
> listen to the Audio portion only.

Not any more, local tv is digital now. buy a tv dongle and plug it
into a computer then set up the software.

>I know that most of the
>terrestrial TV stations have converted over to digital broadcasting,
>but does that include the audio signal ?

Yes but it's part of the digital signal. the audio portion is
MPEG1,MPEG3,AVC - a digital signal.

>Would it be that hard to build a small radio to listen to the audio portion ?

Use a small computer.

--
Jasen.

Re: Digital TV receiver on a chip

<su0a6s$1e9v$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89681&group=sci.electronics.design#89681

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 11:57:08 +0000
 by: Martin Brown - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 11:57 UTC

On 08/02/2022 19:14, Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote:
> tirsdag den 8. februar 2022 kl. 19.40.20 UTC+1 skrev palli...@gmail.com:
>> sidw...@gmail.com wrote:
>> =====================
>>>
>>> Can someone recommend a chip that will allow a simple circuit to be built that will allow
>>> the user to tune in a local TV stations and listen to the Audio portion only.
>> ** No such thing exists.
>>> I know that most of the terrestrial TV stations have converted over to digital broadcasting,
>>> but does that include the audio signal ?
>> ** You bet it does. Fully digital in multi channel too.
>>> Would it be that hard to build a small radio to listen to the audio portion ?
>> ** A "set top box" will do what you ask.
>> Converts the digital TV signal back to analogue video and stereo audio.
>> Should be able to get a used one for next to nothing.
>
> it would work, but I'm not sure how easy it is to control without a display

A USB TV stick to implement an SDR would be my choice.
Then it is just a SMOP. Maybe a toy Linux version. eg

https://airspy.com/download/

(not a recommendation - never tried that one)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Digital TV receiver on a chip

<su0ktm$19m0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89685&group=sci.electronics.design#89685

From: Decadent...@decadence.org
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 15:00:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Decadent...@decadence.org - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 15:00 UTC

Jasen Betts <usenet@revmaps.no-ip.org> wrote in

> On 2022-02-08, Sid 03 <sidwelle@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Can someone recommend a chip that will allow a simple circuit to
>> be built that will allow the user to tune in a local TV stations
>> and listen to the Audio portion only.
>
> Not any more, local tv is digital now. buy a tv dongle and plug it
> into a computer then set up the software.
>
>>I know that most of the
>>terrestrial TV stations have converted over to digital
>>broadcasting, but does that include the audio signal ?
>
> Yes but it's part of the digital signal. the audio portion is
> MPEG1,MPEG3,AVC - a digital signal.
>
>>Would it be that hard to build a small radio to listen to the
>>audio portion ?
>
> Use a small computer.

https://www.amazon.com/AVerMedia-Supports-Windows-Android-
H837/dp/B006PU81QE

It also tunes analog FM.

Re: Digital TV receiver on a chip

<su0l6o$1e5m$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89686&group=sci.electronics.design#89686

From: Decadent...@decadence.org
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 15:04:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Decadent...@decadence.org - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 15:04 UTC

Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote in

> On 08/02/2022 19:14, Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote:
>> tirsdag den 8. februar 2022 kl. 19.40.20 UTC+1 skrev
>> palli...@gmail.com:
>>> sidw...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> =====================

>>> ** No such thing exists.
>>> ** You bet it does. Fully digital in multi channel too.
>>> ** A "set top box" will do what you ask.
>>> Converts the digital TV signal back to analogue video and stereo
>>> audio. Should be able to get a used one for next to nothing.
>>
>> it would work, but I'm not sure how easy it is to control without
>> a display
>
> A USB TV stick to implement an SDR would be my choice.
> Then it is just a SMOP. Maybe a toy Linux version. eg
>
> https://airspy.com/download/
>
> (not a recommendation - never tried that one)

There are SDR outfits out there, but they are NOT QAM or HDTV
recievers inasmuch as they do not have the processor for it in them.

There are dedicated HDTV tuners which are in the form of a USB
stick. Albeit a bit large.
<https://www.amazon.com/AVerMedia-Supports-Windows-Android-
H837/dp/B006PU81QE>

Re: Digital TV receiver on a chip

<e66bbe09-6739-424c-badd-9637f6df15f2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89695&group=sci.electronics.design#89695

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 10:35:19 -0800 (PST)
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 18:35 UTC

On Tuesday, February 8, 2022 at 11:35:01 AM UTC-8, palli...@gmail.com wrote:
> lang...@fonz.dk wrote:
> ==================

> > > ** A "set top box" will do what you ask.

> > it would work, but I'm not sure how easy it is to control without a display
> >
> ** True - the OP's question is rather nutty.
> Probably wants portable and battery operated too.

There's plugins for tablets and OTG cellphones that would work (give picture
as well as audio, for that matter).

<https://www.amazon.com/heaven2017-Receiver-Android-Tablet-Digital/dp/B082YTPNCD/ref=sr_1_4>

Re: Digital TV receiver on a chip

<5thddi-4lua2.ln1@coop.radagast.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89698&group=sci.electronics.design#89698

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: dpl...@coop.radagast.org (Dave Platt)
Originator: dplatt@coop.radagast.org (Dave Platt)
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 11:39:49 -0800
 by: Dave Platt - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 19:39 UTC

In article <14f9f4d3-3850-4ba2-a6db-3b92043086bfn@googlegroups.com>,
Sid 03 <sidwelle@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jan, one of the USB sticks might work. I would like to find one that
> I could control w/Arduino or something small.

The RTL-SDR dongles won't work with ATSC television. They don't have
the RF bandwidth - they can only receive a 2.8 MHz "slice" of the
VHF/UHF spectrum, and ATSC uses the same 6 MHz RF channel spacing (and
nearly that much actual bandwidth) that the old NTSC analog TV signals
did.

There are other SDR devices which can receive a wide-enough slice of
RF to handle ATSC.

The dongles also aren't full "receivers" for any specific type of
signal modulation. They simply filter and downsample and digitize the
RF, and send it over USB to the PC (or tablet). It's up to the PC or
phone or tablet to do all of the signal demodulation and the decoding,
and this can take quite a bit of CPU horsepower. ATSC demodulation
and decoding would take much more "oomph" than any Arduino-class
processor I know of.

I've read of people successfully implementing an ATSC receiver
using an SDR dongle, paired with GNURadio and a suitable
signal-processing flow graph. Doing so apparently took a pretty
fast multi-core PC.

Decoding only the ATSC audio signal would probably be a good deal
easier (maybe by half) since one could simply discard the video
portions of the data stream after demodulation.

Re: Digital TV receiver on a chip

<16d2396361e44c8d$1$3741208$64dd6e6a@news.thecubenet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89700&group=sci.electronics.design#89700

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: no.s...@please.net (Clifford Heath)
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 07:51:50 +1100
 by: Clifford Heath - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 20:51 UTC

On 10/2/22 6:39 am, Dave Platt wrote:
> In article <14f9f4d3-3850-4ba2-a6db-3b92043086bfn@googlegroups.com>,
> Sid 03 <sidwelle@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Jan, one of the USB sticks might work. I would like to find one that
>> I could control w/Arduino or something small.
>
> The RTL-SDR dongles won't work with ATSC television. They don't have
> the RF bandwidth - they can only receive a 2.8 MHz "slice" of the
> VHF/UHF spectrum, and ATSC uses the same 6 MHz RF channel spacing (and
> nearly that much actual bandwidth) that the old NTSC analog TV signals
> did.
>
> There are other SDR devices which can receive a wide-enough slice of
> RF to handle ATSC.
>
> The dongles also aren't full "receivers" for any specific type of
> signal modulation. They simply filter and downsample and digitize the
> RF, and send it over USB to the PC (or tablet). It's up to the PC or
> phone or tablet to do all of the signal demodulation and the decoding,
> and this can take quite a bit of CPU horsepower. ATSC demodulation
> and decoding would take much more "oomph" than any Arduino-class
> processor I know of.
>
> I've read of people successfully implementing an ATSC receiver
> using an SDR dongle, paired with GNURadio and a suitable
> signal-processing flow graph. Doing so apparently took a pretty
> fast multi-core PC.
>
> Decoding only the ATSC audio signal would probably be a good deal
> easier (maybe by half) since one could simply discard the video
> portions of the data stream after demodulation.

What have you been smoking?

The dongles are full digital TV receivers, and do have the full
bandwidth needed to do that. Using them as an SDR merely bypasses the
decoder, grabbing up to half the available data because that's all the
chip can stuff into a USB stream.

With the right software (that they are sold with) you can watch TV
without any SDR software.

CH

Re: Digital TV receiver on a chip

<hnsddi-7vva2.ln1@coop.radagast.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89708&group=sci.electronics.design#89708

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: dpl...@coop.radagast.org (Dave Platt)
Originator: dplatt@coop.radagast.org (Dave Platt)
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 14:44:33 -0800
 by: Dave Platt - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 22:44 UTC

In article <16d2396361e44c8d$1$3741208$64dd6e6a@news.thecubenet.com>,
Clifford Heath <no.spam@please.net> wrote:

>What have you been smoking?

Misinformation, apparently. Thanks, I stand corrected! I'd only
used them in the SDR mode.

>The dongles are full digital TV receivers, and do have the full
>bandwidth needed to do that. Using them as an SDR merely bypasses the
>decoder, grabbing up to half the available data because that's all the
>chip can stuff into a USB stream.

>With the right software (that they are sold with) you can watch TV
>without any SDR software.

Are there any which actually decode all the way to the HDMI video level,
or is their output the MPEG digital stream (which would then require either
software or GPU or dedicated-MPEG decode to go to the monitor)?

Re: Digital TV receiver on a chip

<16d2439c0297d094$1$3741208$64dd6e6a@news.thecubenet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89713&group=sci.electronics.design#89713

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: no.s...@please.net (Clifford Heath)
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 10:59:09 +1100
 by: Clifford Heath - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 23:59 UTC

On 10/2/22 9:44 am, Dave Platt wrote:
> In article <16d2396361e44c8d$1$3741208$64dd6e6a@news.thecubenet.com>,
> Clifford Heath <no.spam@please.net> wrote:
>
>> What have you been smoking?
>
> Misinformation, apparently. Thanks, I stand corrected! I'd only
> used them in the SDR mode.
>
>> The dongles are full digital TV receivers, and do have the full
>> bandwidth needed to do that. Using them as an SDR merely bypasses the
>> decoder, grabbing up to half the available data because that's all the
>> chip can stuff into a USB stream.
>
>> With the right software (that they are sold with) you can watch TV
>> without any SDR software.
>
> Are there any which actually decode all the way to the HDMI video level,
> or is their output the MPEG digital stream (which would then require either
> software or GPU or dedicated-MPEG decode to go to the monitor)?

You're probably right about HDMI, but smart TVs accept compressed video
streams from a DLNA server, so there's that.

I suspect the dongles decode the transport stream and leave the rest to
the driver software. But who knows, it's closed source, shrug!

Re: Digital TV receiver on a chip

<cc32d77c-4191-4e11-9f11-81c8bb8de934n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89757&group=sci.electronics.design#89757

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 06:20:47 -0800 (PST)
From: wim....@gmail.com (Wim Ton)
 by: Wim Ton - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 14:20 UTC

On Wednesday, 9 February 2022 at 21:52:05 UTC+1, Clifford Heath wrote:
> On 10/2/22 6:39 am, Dave Platt wrote:
> > In article <14f9f4d3-3850-4ba2...@googlegroups.com>,
> > Sid 03 <sidw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Jan, one of the USB sticks might work. I would like to find one that
> >> I could control w/Arduino or something small.
> >
> > The RTL-SDR dongles won't work with ATSC television. They don't have
> > the RF bandwidth - they can only receive a 2.8 MHz "slice" of the
> > VHF/UHF spectrum, and ATSC uses the same 6 MHz RF channel spacing (and
> > nearly that much actual bandwidth) that the old NTSC analog TV signals
> > did.
> >
> > There are other SDR devices which can receive a wide-enough slice of
> > RF to handle ATSC.
> >
> > The dongles also aren't full "receivers" for any specific type of
> > signal modulation. They simply filter and downsample and digitize the
> > RF, and send it over USB to the PC (or tablet). It's up to the PC or
> > phone or tablet to do all of the signal demodulation and the decoding,
> > and this can take quite a bit of CPU horsepower. ATSC demodulation
> > and decoding would take much more "oomph" than any Arduino-class
> > processor I know of.
> >
> > I've read of people successfully implementing an ATSC receiver
> > using an SDR dongle, paired with GNURadio and a suitable
> > signal-processing flow graph. Doing so apparently took a pretty
> > fast multi-core PC.
> >
> > Decoding only the ATSC audio signal would probably be a good deal
> > easier (maybe by half) since one could simply discard the video
> > portions of the data stream after demodulation.
> What have you been smoking?
>
> The dongles are full digital TV receivers, and do have the full
> bandwidth needed to do that. Using them as an SDR merely bypasses the
> decoder, grabbing up to half the available data because that's all the
> chip can stuff into a USB stream.
>
> With the right software (that they are sold with) you can watch TV
> without any SDR software.
>
> CH
The common dongles are just a direct conversion receiver and an AD converter. The rest of the processing must be done by the host.