In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

tech / sci.math / MasterClass - Terence Tao Teaches Mathematical Thinking

SubjectAuthor
* MasterClass - Terence Tao Teaches Mathematical Thinkingsobriquet
+* Re: MasterClass - Terence Tao Teaches Mathematical ThinkingRoss A. Finlayson
|`* Re: MasterClass - Terence Tao Teaches Mathematical ThinkingJeffrey Rubard
| `* Re: MasterClass - Terence Tao Teaches Mathematical ThinkingRoss A. Finlayson
|  `* Re: MasterClass - Terence Tao Teaches Mathematical ThinkingJeffrey Rubard
|   `* Re: MasterClass - Terence Tao Teaches Mathematical ThinkingRoss A. Finlayson
|    `* Re: MasterClass - Terence Tao Teaches Mathematical ThinkingJeffrey Rubard
|     `* Re: MasterClass - Terence Tao Teaches Mathematical ThinkingRoss A. Finlayson
|      `* Re: MasterClass - Terence Tao Teaches Mathematical ThinkingJeffrey Rubard
|       `* Re: MasterClass - Terence Tao Teaches Mathematical ThinkingJeffrey Rubard
|        `* Re: MasterClass - Terence Tao Teaches Mathematical ThinkingRoss A. Finlayson
|         `* Re: MasterClass - Terence Tao Teaches Mathematical ThinkingRoss A. Finlayson
|          `- Re: MasterClass - Terence Tao Teaches Mathematical ThinkingJeffrey Rubard
`- Re: MasterClass - Terence Tao Teaches Mathematical Thinkingmitchr...@gmail.com

1
MasterClass - Terence Tao Teaches Mathematical Thinking

<27f81a9c-7974-4ff6-ba33-df0f0f7c60e1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89637&group=sci.math#89637

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 16:57:31 -0800 (PST)
Subject: MasterClass - Terence Tao Teaches Mathematical Thinking
From: dohduh...@yahoo.com (sobriquet)
 by: sobriquet - Sun, 30 Jan 2022 00:57 UTC

https://sanet.st/blogs/bonnytuts/masterclass_terence_tao_teaches_mathematical_thinking.4016570.html

Re: MasterClass - Terence Tao Teaches Mathematical Thinking

<ad585800-1991-4a66-93a3-0f4ccaa6a21en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89651&group=sci.math#89651

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 19:20:31 -0800 (PST)
From: ross.fin...@gmail.com (Ross A. Finlayson)
 by: Ross A. Finlayson - Sun, 30 Jan 2022 03:20 UTC

On Saturday, January 29, 2022 at 4:57:36 PM UTC-8, sobriquet wrote:
> https://sanet.st/blogs/bonnytuts/masterclass_terence_tao_teaches_mathematical_thinking.4016570.html

Yeah I noticed this mentioned on math.reddit the other day.
(Which is, pretty tame, though, it did have a thread about what
is "pure mathematics" the other day, which most researchers
in foundations would already know.)

Dr. Tao explained that it had good production values, but some of the readers said
it didn't have much in the way of technical content, that like other productions there
it's more like a glossy fan shtick.

Of course for Dr. Tao's technical content you can read his blog or a ton of his published papers.

Two things I read off Dr. Tao are "hard and soft analysis", and, "standard and nonstandard analysis".

Of course I build nonstandard analysis myself via much simpler means but that's because I have it
in the foundation instead of having to paste it over the top.

Which is where it goes....

Re: MasterClass - Terence Tao Teaches Mathematical Thinking

<2026fca9-c165-4837-8853-de3b6c659061n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89652&group=sci.math#89652

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 19:53:37 -0800 (PST)
From: jeffreyd...@gmail.com (Jeffrey Rubard)
 by: Jeffrey Rubard - Sun, 30 Jan 2022 03:53 UTC

On Saturday, January 29, 2022 at 7:20:35 PM UTC-8, Ross A. Finlayson wrote:
> On Saturday, January 29, 2022 at 4:57:36 PM UTC-8, sobriquet wrote:
> > https://sanet.st/blogs/bonnytuts/masterclass_terence_tao_teaches_mathematical_thinking.4016570.html
>

> Yeah I noticed this mentioned on math.reddit the other day.
> (Which is, pretty tame, though, it did have a thread about what
> is "pure mathematics" the other day, which most researchers
> in foundations would already know.)
>
> Dr. Tao explained that it had good production values, but some of the readers said
> it didn't have much in the way of technical content, that like other productions there
> it's more like a glossy fan shtick.
>
> Of course for Dr. Tao's technical content you can read his blog or a ton of his published papers.
>
> Two things I read off Dr. Tao are "hard and soft analysis", and, "standard and nonstandard analysis".
>
> Of course I build nonstandard analysis myself via much simpler means but that's because I have it
> in the foundation instead of having to paste it over the top.
>
> Which is where it goes....

Terence Tao himself is good enough, n'est-ce pas?

Re: MasterClass - Terence Tao Teaches Mathematical Thinking

<ec7f7935-d023-4110-aea6-9abe83d3da70n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89811&group=sci.math#89811

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 19:25:13 -0800 (PST)
From: ross.fin...@gmail.com (Ross A. Finlayson)
 by: Ross A. Finlayson - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 03:25 UTC

On Saturday, January 29, 2022 at 7:53:42 PM UTC-8, Jeffrey Rubard wrote:
> On Saturday, January 29, 2022 at 7:20:35 PM UTC-8, Ross A. Finlayson wrote:
> > On Saturday, January 29, 2022 at 4:57:36 PM UTC-8, sobriquet wrote:
> > > https://sanet.st/blogs/bonnytuts/masterclass_terence_tao_teaches_mathematical_thinking.4016570.html
> >

> > Yeah I noticed this mentioned on math.reddit the other day.
> > (Which is, pretty tame, though, it did have a thread about what
> > is "pure mathematics" the other day, which most researchers
> > in foundations would already know.)
> >
> > Dr. Tao explained that it had good production values, but some of the readers said
> > it didn't have much in the way of technical content, that like other productions there
> > it's more like a glossy fan shtick.
> >
> > Of course for Dr. Tao's technical content you can read his blog or a ton of his published papers.
> >
> > Two things I read off Dr. Tao are "hard and soft analysis", and, "standard and nonstandard analysis".
> >
> > Of course I build nonstandard analysis myself via much simpler means but that's because I have it
> > in the foundation instead of having to paste it over the top.
> >
> > Which is where it goes....
> Terence Tao himself is good enough, n'est-ce pas?

Nope, though it's great the usual ultrafilter construction to acknowledge
countable additivity, it's a conceit to instead having one first.
(A definition of continuity, before the complete ordred field.)

I.e. Dedekind alone (Eudoxus/Cauchy/Dedekind) isn't good enough,
because it's not complete, and there are theories with simple continuous
domains defined [0,1], much more simply.

Re: MasterClass - Terence Tao Teaches Mathematical Thinking

<06cbcd4f-39d6-4bfe-8bf4-2a5fa750e80en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89920&group=sci.math#89920

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 00:22:42 -0800 (PST)
From: jeffreyd...@gmail.com (Jeffrey Rubard)
 by: Jeffrey Rubard - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 08:22 UTC

On Monday, January 31, 2022 at 7:25:18 PM UTC-8, Ross A. Finlayson wrote:
> On Saturday, January 29, 2022 at 7:53:42 PM UTC-8, Jeffrey Rubard wrote:
> > >

> > > Yeah I noticed this mentioned on math.reddit the other day.
> > > (Which is, pretty tame, though, it did have a thread about what
> > > is "pure mathematics" the other day, which most researchers
> > > in foundations would already know.)
> > >
> > > Dr. Tao explained that it had good production values, but some of the readers said
> > > it didn't have much in the way of technical content, that like other productions there
> > > it's more like a glossy fan shtick.
> > >
> > > Of course for Dr. Tao's technical content you can read his blog or a ton of his published papers.
> > >
> > > Two things I read off Dr. Tao are "hard and soft analysis", and, "standard and nonstandard analysis".
> > >
> > > Of course I build nonstandard analysis myself via much simpler means but that's because I have it
> > > in the foundation instead of having to paste it over the top.
> > >
> > > Which is where it goes....
> > Terence Tao himself is good enough, n'est-ce pas?
> Nope, though it's great the usual ultrafilter construction to acknowledge
> countable additivity, it's a conceit to instead having one first.
> (A definition of continuity, before the complete ordred field.)
>
> I.e. Dedekind alone (Eudoxus/Cauchy/Dedekind) isn't good enough,
> because it's not complete, and there are theories with simple continuous
> domains defined [0,1], much more simply.

Aww, somehow maybe not, huh?

Re: MasterClass - Terence Tao Teaches Mathematical Thinking

<80972afa-3eaa-4faf-8b00-99e7b9a41a33n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89940&group=sci.math#89940

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 09:18:18 -0800 (PST)
From: ross.fin...@gmail.com (Ross A. Finlayson)
 by: Ross A. Finlayson - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 17:18 UTC

On Wednesday, February 2, 2022 at 12:22:47 AM UTC-8, Jeffrey Rubard wrote:
> On Monday, January 31, 2022 at 7:25:18 PM UTC-8, Ross A. Finlayson wrote:

> > > Terence Tao himself is good enough, n'est-ce pas?
> > Nope, though it's great the usual ultrafilter construction to acknowledge
> > countable additivity, it's a conceit to instead having one first.
> > (A definition of continuity, before the complete ordred field.)
> >
> > I.e. Dedekind alone (Eudoxus/Cauchy/Dedekind) isn't good enough,
> > because it's not complete, and there are theories with simple continuous
> > domains defined [0,1], much more simply.
> Aww, somehow maybe not, huh?

Ever hear of Leibniz?

Peano, well-known for "0 then ... is numbers", also was for "standard infinitesimals".

It's a usual higher level concept to define delta-epsilonics
because everybody starts pre-calculus with intuitive standard
infinitesimals, then delta-epsilonics.

Then, to get that all formalized and make it work with modern mathematics
and "ZF set theory, plus LUB defined and 1.0 defined", you can read off my
slates, which basically put mathematics on a more proper footing.

Re: MasterClass - Terence Tao Teaches Mathematical Thinking

<159a3579-f00c-42f2-928e-1fa25c87b462n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89951&group=sci.math#89951

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 11:14:04 -0800 (PST)
From: mitchrae...@gmail.com (mitchr...@gmail.com)
 by: mitchr...@gmail.com - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 19:14 UTC

On Saturday, January 29, 2022 at 4:57:36 PM UTC-8, sobriquet wrote:
> https://sanet.st/blogs/bonnytuts/masterclass_terence_tao_teaches_mathematical_thinking.4016570.html

Authorities don't belong.

Re: MasterClass - Terence Tao Teaches Mathematical Thinking

<41f79ccf-4354-41da-b067-9b234af5d143n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89991&group=sci.math#89991

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 17:22:39 -0800 (PST)
From: jeffreyd...@gmail.com (Jeffrey Rubard)
 by: Jeffrey Rubard - Thu, 3 Feb 2022 01:22 UTC

On Wednesday, February 2, 2022 at 9:18:24 AM UTC-8, Ross A. Finlayson wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 2, 2022 at 12:22:47 AM UTC-8, Jeffrey Rubard wrote:

> > > Nope, though it's great the usual ultrafilter construction to acknowledge
> > > countable additivity, it's a conceit to instead having one first.
> > > (A definition of continuity, before the complete ordred field.)
> > >
> > > I.e. Dedekind alone (Eudoxus/Cauchy/Dedekind) isn't good enough,
> > > because it's not complete, and there are theories with simple continuous
> > > domains defined [0,1], much more simply.
> > Aww, somehow maybe not, huh?
> Ever hear of Leibniz?
>
> Peano, well-known for "0 then ... is numbers", also was for "standard infinitesimals".
>
> It's a usual higher level concept to define delta-epsilonics
> because everybody starts pre-calculus with intuitive standard
> infinitesimals, then delta-epsilonics.
>
> Then, to get that all formalized and make it work with modern mathematics
> and "ZF set theory, plus LUB defined and 1.0 defined", you can read off my
> slates, which basically put mathematics on a more proper footing.

This is "crank" shit. Somehow I think you don't even believe it, but that doesn't
totally help matters.

Re: MasterClass - Terence Tao Teaches Mathematical Thinking

<822ac192-4657-41f0-84be-ee127d58590dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89994&group=sci.math#89994

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 17:52:48 -0800 (PST)
From: ross.fin...@gmail.com (Ross A. Finlayson)
 by: Ross A. Finlayson - Thu, 3 Feb 2022 01:52 UTC

On Wednesday, February 2, 2022 at 5:22:44 PM UTC-8, Jeffrey Rubard wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 2, 2022 at 9:18:24 AM UTC-8, Ross A. Finlayson wrote:

> > > Aww, somehow maybe not, huh?
> > Ever hear of Leibniz?
> >
> > Peano, well-known for "0 then ... is numbers", also was for "standard infinitesimals".
> >
> > It's a usual higher level concept to define delta-epsilonics
> > because everybody starts pre-calculus with intuitive standard
> > infinitesimals, then delta-epsilonics.
> >
> > Then, to get that all formalized and make it work with modern mathematics
> > and "ZF set theory, plus LUB defined and 1.0 defined", you can read off my
> > slates, which basically put mathematics on a more proper footing.
> This is "crank" shit. Somehow I think you don't even believe it, but that doesn't
> totally help matters.

What is?

Re: MasterClass - Terence Tao Teaches Mathematical Thinking

<0eca075b-b4ab-4d78-b73c-ebfc2615d816n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90001&group=sci.math#90001

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 20:22:00 -0800 (PST)
From: jeffreyd...@gmail.com (Jeffrey Rubard)
 by: Jeffrey Rubard - Thu, 3 Feb 2022 04:22 UTC

On Wednesday, February 2, 2022 at 5:52:53 PM UTC-8, Ross A. Finlayson wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 2, 2022 at 5:22:44 PM UTC-8, Jeffrey Rubard wrote:

> > > Ever hear of Leibniz?
> > >
> > > Peano, well-known for "0 then ... is numbers", also was for "standard infinitesimals".
> > >
> > > It's a usual higher level concept to define delta-epsilonics
> > > because everybody starts pre-calculus with intuitive standard
> > > infinitesimals, then delta-epsilonics.
> > >
> > > Then, to get that all formalized and make it work with modern mathematics
> > > and "ZF set theory, plus LUB defined and 1.0 defined", you can read off my
> > > slates, which basically put mathematics on a more proper footing.
> > This is "crank" shit. Somehow I think you don't even believe it, but that doesn't
> > totally help matters.
> What is?

Fake math talk that isn't integrated into a rational, axiom-lemma whole.

Re: MasterClass - Terence Tao Teaches Mathematical Thinking

<fd029765-7749-42bd-8ea1-18940444ac59n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90002&group=sci.math#90002

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 20:22:49 -0800 (PST)
From: jeffreyd...@gmail.com (Jeffrey Rubard)

On Wednesday, February 2, 2022 at 8:22:05 PM UTC-8, Jeffrey Rubard wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 2, 2022 at 5:52:53 PM UTC-8, Ross A. Finlayson wrote:

> > > This is "crank" shit. Somehow I think you don't even believe it, but that doesn't
> > > totally help matters.
> > What is?
> Fake math talk that isn't integrated into a rational, axiom-lemma whole.

"Oh, but I mean it like that. It's like a joke."

Kind of doesn't really matter, it's garbage either way.

Re: MasterClass - Terence Tao Teaches Mathematical Thinking

<eb5f9aec-d264-4418-b4a7-58e2385cf54bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90018&group=sci.math#90018

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 01:16:40 -0800 (PST)
From: ross.fin...@gmail.com (Ross A. Finlayson)
 by: Ross A. Finlayson - Thu, 3 Feb 2022 09:16 UTC

On Wednesday, February 2, 2022 at 8:22:54 PM UTC-8, Jeffrey Rubard wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 2, 2022 at 8:22:05 PM UTC-8, Jeffrey Rubard wrote:

> > > What is?
> > Fake math talk that isn't integrated into a rational, axiom-lemma whole.
> "Oh, but I mean it like that. It's like a joke."
>
> Kind of doesn't really matter, it's garbage either way.

Do you know what a _limit of a family of functions_ is?

I.e., have you heard of "standardly modeling a function as
a limit of real functions"?

I'm sure you must be familiar with the usual notion of dimension x dx
and derivative by it d/dx.

And all the derivations of delta-epsilonics what arrive at pre-calculus thus
fundamental theorems of calculus after IVT thus that calculus proceeds
with a sound footing?

Then if that there was a simple form of n/d as n->d and d->oo, limit,
that its range ranges [0,1], and, if other concomitant properties arrive
at "LUB in this range is trivial" and "measure of this range is extent 1.0"?

I'm not sure if you have but by now I've browbeaten everyone else here
into not having much other comment about it.

Yeah, that wasn't a joke, and, it's not funny.

Now, read off what you said, as if it was anonymous, and in no other context,
and, read off what I said, as if it was anonymous and in no other context.

Re: MasterClass - Terence Tao Teaches Mathematical Thinking

<794367ba-ff9c-45c5-9348-fbcb74326b54n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90019&group=sci.math#90019

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 01:22:56 -0800 (PST)
From: ross.fin...@gmail.com (Ross A. Finlayson)
 by: Ross A. Finlayson - Thu, 3 Feb 2022 09:22 UTC

On Thursday, February 3, 2022 at 1:16:46 AM UTC-8, Ross A. Finlayson wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 2, 2022 at 8:22:54 PM UTC-8, Jeffrey Rubard wrote:

> > > Fake math talk that isn't integrated into a rational, axiom-lemma whole.
> > "Oh, but I mean it like that. It's like a joke."
> >
> > Kind of doesn't really matter, it's garbage either way.
> Do you know what a _limit of a family of functions_ is?
>
> I.e., have you heard of "standardly modeling a function as
> a limit of real functions"?
>
> I'm sure you must be familiar with the usual notion of dimension x dx
> and derivative by it d/dx.
>
> And all the derivations of delta-epsilonics what arrive at pre-calculus thus
> fundamental theorems of calculus after IVT thus that calculus proceeds
> with a sound footing?
>
> Then if that there was a simple form of n/d as n->d and d->oo, limit,
> that its range ranges [0,1], and, if other concomitant properties arrive
> at "LUB in this range is trivial" and "measure of this range is extent 1.0"?
>
> I'm not sure if you have but by now I've browbeaten everyone else here
> into not having much other comment about it.
>
> Yeah, that wasn't a joke, and, it's not funny.
>
> Now, read off what you said, as if it was anonymous, and in no other context,
> and, read off what I said, as if it was anonymous and in no other context.

OK, then forget what you said.

Re: MasterClass - Terence Tao Teaches Mathematical Thinking

<bf89add8-f004-479b-8c3f-02f3dafed4bcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90504&group=sci.math#90504

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 13:26:48 -0800 (PST)
From: jeffreyd...@gmail.com (Jeffrey Rubard)
 by: Jeffrey Rubard - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 21:26 UTC

On Thursday, February 3, 2022 at 1:23:02 AM UTC-8, Ross A. Finlayson wrote:
> On Thursday, February 3, 2022 at 1:16:46 AM UTC-8, Ross A. Finlayson wrote:

> > > "Oh, but I mean it like that. It's like a joke."
> > >
> > > Kind of doesn't really matter, it's garbage either way.
> > Do you know what a _limit of a family of functions_ is?
> >
> > I.e., have you heard of "standardly modeling a function as
> > a limit of real functions"?
> >
> > I'm sure you must be familiar with the usual notion of dimension x dx
> > and derivative by it d/dx.
> >
> > And all the derivations of delta-epsilonics what arrive at pre-calculus thus
> > fundamental theorems of calculus after IVT thus that calculus proceeds
> > with a sound footing?
> >
> > Then if that there was a simple form of n/d as n->d and d->oo, limit,
> > that its range ranges [0,1], and, if other concomitant properties arrive
> > at "LUB in this range is trivial" and "measure of this range is extent 1.0"?
> >
> > I'm not sure if you have but by now I've browbeaten everyone else here
> > into not having much other comment about it.
> >
> > Yeah, that wasn't a joke, and, it's not funny.
> >
> > Now, read off what you said, as if it was anonymous, and in no other context,
> > and, read off what I said, as if it was anonymous and in no other context.
> OK, then forget what you said.

Maybe "Jedi mind tricks" weren't... oh, never mind.