Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 03:39:11 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Jupiter at centre of retrograde
From: kelleher...@gmail.com (kellehe...@gmail.com)
 by: kellehe...@gmail.com - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 10:39 UTC

The original concept of a planet as opposed to the Sun was based on their observed motions against the background stars and effectively defined by Copernicus in accordance with what was appreciated at that time-

"Moreover, we see the other five planets also retrograde at times, and stationary at either end [of the regression]. And whereas the sun always advances along its own direct path, they wander in various ways, straying sometimes to the south and sometimes to the north; that is why they are called "planets" [wanderers]. Copernicus

The Sun moves like this within the Ptolemaic framework-

http://astro.dur.ac.uk/~ams/users/sun_ecliptic.gif

The planets were seen to wander like Jupiter and Saturn are seen to do in the time lapse footage and the explanation attached

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap011220.html

The train wreck of trying to re-define a planet was from theorists who have little feel for solar system structure, planetary motions in a Sun-centred system and especially that of the Earth.

When Jupiter is closest to us in our mutual orbits around our parent star it is at its brightest-

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/0112/jupsatloop_tezel.jpg

The SOHO satellite has a limited shelf life so enjoy what it allows observers to interpret with just a little effort. If things were normal, people would have a sense of occasion but presently that is not the case and readers have to be content with these newsgroup descriptions.

Re: Jupiter at centre of retrograde

<af141335-01ad-45b7-9071-58e33f863c00n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8964&group=sci.astro.amateur#8964

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 13:30:22 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Jupiter at centre of retrograde
From: kelleher...@gmail.com (kellehe...@gmail.com)
 by: kellehe...@gmail.com - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 20:30 UTC

The original Sun-centred astronomers were hampered by being attached to the surface of a rotating Earth, so difficult and much like trying to make external judgement of motions while being on a carousel. They managed to extrapolate gorgeous insights such as the faster moving Earth overtaking the slower moving outer planets thereby causing them to temporarily fall behind in view like a faster moving car in an inner lane on a traffic circle sees slower moving cars in the outer lanes fall behind in view. The Earth has just overtaken Jupiter.

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap011220.html

The faster moving Venus and Mercury require entirely different perspectives, but can easily be appreciated from a satellite that is free from any daily rotational influences.

https://sol24.net/data/html/SOHO/C3/96H/VIDEO/

The Earth's orbital motion accounts for the change in position of the stars thereby setting the Sun up as a central reference as Venus and Mercury move from right to left when on the opposite side of the solar system and move from left to right when those planets overtake the slower moving Earth with the central/stationary Sun as a reference.

My goodness, what does it take to recognise something so straightforward?. Where is the sense of occasion?.