Pohl's law: Nothing is so good that somebody, somewhere, will not hate it.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: new mechical groupset

SubjectAuthor
* new mechical groupsetRoger Meriman
`* Re: new mechical groupsetTom Kunich
 `* Re: new mechical groupsetRoger Meriman
  `- Re: new mechical groupsetTom Kunich

1
new mechical groupset

<x7TEM.801183$9wY2.315885@fx06.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89703&group=rec.bicycles.tech#89703

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: new mechical groupset
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Meriman)
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 00:16:29 GMT
 by: Roger Meriman - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 00:16 UTC

https://www.microshift.com/products/groups/sword/

Released a few weeks or so back with Shimano GRX killer type headlines!
Which is well unlikely as lower end gravel bikes have been fitted with Sora
which like Sword is cable disk/rim brakes which for a gravel bike will
limit its performance somewhat.

Bar the clutch on the rear mech Claris//Sora/Tiagra groupsets, SRAM doesn’t
I think do anything that would come on a sub 2k Gravel bike.

But what the Sword looks like aimed up is the fiddlers and/or retro grouch
ie is all mechanical no hydraulics and can run some low gears though you’d
loose some of the upper end. I suspect the 11-48 10s cassette would drive
most a bit potty with gaps in between cogs.

But interesting anyway even if I don’t believe the marketing fluff!

Roger Merriman

Re: new mechical groupset

<c96350cb-bdc7-4ca3-8ce7-d7bbf717d772n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89749&group=rec.bicycles.tech#89749

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 08:27:09 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: new mechical groupset
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 15:27 UTC

On Monday, August 21, 2023 at 5:16:32 PM UTC-7, Roger Meriman wrote:
> https://www.microshift.com/products/groups/sword/
>
> Released a few weeks or so back with Shimano GRX killer type headlines!
> Which is well unlikely as lower end gravel bikes have been fitted with Sora
> which like Sword is cable disk/rim brakes which for a gravel bike will
> limit its performance somewhat.
>
> Bar the clutch on the rear mech Claris//Sora/Tiagra groupsets, SRAM doesn’t
> I think do anything that would come on a sub 2k Gravel bike.
>
> But what the Sword looks like aimed up is the fiddlers and/or retro grouch
> ie is all mechanical no hydraulics and can run some low gears though you’d
> loose some of the upper end. I suspect the 11-48 10s cassette would drive
> most a bit potty with gaps in between cogs.
>
> But interesting anyway even if I don’t believe the marketing fluff!
>
> Roger Merriman

I think I have an 11 speed Microshift short group around here somewhere. I bought them to look at their engineering. It looks pretty good though I couldn't vouch for the reliability. If you'd like them send me an email at cyclintom@yahoo.com

Re: new mechical groupset

<bf7FM.668003$%8x.349621@fx10.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89773&group=rec.bicycles.tech#89773

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Meriman)
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 18:36:55 GMT
 by: Roger Meriman - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 18:36 UTC

Tom Kunich <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, August 21, 2023 at 5:16:32 PM UTC-7, Roger Meriman wrote:
>> https://www.microshift.com/products/groups/sword/
>>
>> Released a few weeks or so back with Shimano GRX killer type headlines!
>> Which is well unlikely as lower end gravel bikes have been fitted with Sora
>> which like Sword is cable disk/rim brakes which for a gravel bike will
>> limit its performance somewhat.
>>
>> Bar the clutch on the rear mech Claris//Sora/Tiagra groupsets, SRAM doesn’t
>> I think do anything that would come on a sub 2k Gravel bike.
>>
>> But what the Sword looks like aimed up is the fiddlers and/or retro grouch
>> ie is all mechanical no hydraulics and can run some low gears though you’d
>> loose some of the upper end. I suspect the 11-48 10s cassette would drive
>> most a bit potty with gaps in between cogs.
>>
>> But interesting anyway even if I don’t believe the marketing fluff!
>>
>> Roger Merriman
>
> I think I have an 11 speed Microshift short group around here somewhere.
> I bought them to look at their engineering. It looks pretty good though I
> couldn't vouch for the reliability. If you'd like them send me an email at
> cyclintom@yahoo.com

Ah I have no use for them sorry, my bikes are all equipped, I’ve toyed with
idea of a new derailleur ie GRX one as it would allow use of the 36t
cassettes plus has a clutch to keep the chain happy on bumps though both
are marginal to be honest!

Roger Merriman

Re: new mechical groupset

<68f49d04-a670-40e9-bf96-4b8477e31544n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89803&group=rec.bicycles.tech#89803

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 14:06:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 21:06 UTC

On Tuesday, August 22, 2023 at 11:36:59 AM UTC-7, Roger Meriman wrote:
> Tom Kunich <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Monday, August 21, 2023 at 5:16:32 PM UTC-7, Roger Meriman wrote:
> >> https://www.microshift.com/products/groups/sword/
> >>
> >> Released a few weeks or so back with Shimano GRX killer type headlines!
> >> Which is well unlikely as lower end gravel bikes have been fitted with Sora
> >> which like Sword is cable disk/rim brakes which for a gravel bike will
> >> limit its performance somewhat.
> >>
> >> Bar the clutch on the rear mech Claris//Sora/Tiagra groupsets, SRAM doesn’t
> >> I think do anything that would come on a sub 2k Gravel bike.
> >>
> >> But what the Sword looks like aimed up is the fiddlers and/or retro grouch
> >> ie is all mechanical no hydraulics and can run some low gears though you’d
> >> loose some of the upper end. I suspect the 11-48 10s cassette would drive
> >> most a bit potty with gaps in between cogs.
> >>
> >> But interesting anyway even if I don’t believe the marketing fluff!
> >>
> >> Roger Merriman
> >
> > I think I have an 11 speed Microshift short group around here somewhere..
> > I bought them to look at their engineering. It looks pretty good though I
> > couldn't vouch for the reliability. If you'd like them send me an email at
> > cycl...@yahoo.com
> >
> Ah I have no use for them sorry, my bikes are all equipped, I’ve toyed with
> idea of a new derailleur ie GRX one as it would allow use of the 36t
> cassettes plus has a clutch to keep the chain happy on bumps though both
> are marginal to be honest!
>
> Roger Merriman

That's OK, but the Microshift uses same speed Shimano parts. i.e. you could use an XT derailleur with the levers. They have the same pull ratio.