From: droo...@gmail.com (buh buh biden)
Newsgroups: alt.lasers,rec.aviation.piloting,talk.politics.guns,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,sac.politics
Subject: Pilots Contend With Record Number of Laser Strikes, F.A.A. Says
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 07:02:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: buh buh biden - Wed, 4 May 2022 07:02 UTC

Pilots Contend With Record Number of Laser Strikes, F.A.A. Says
When a laser pointer reaches a cockpit, it can disorient or �completely
incapacitate� a pilot, said the agency, which recorded more than 9,700
such cases last year.

A laser shines in the direction of an aircraft, creating a dangerous
condition for pilots, in this image captured from a video released by the
F.A.A.Credit...Federal Aviation Administration

By Livia Albeck-Ripka
May 2, 2022

One foggy night in December 2018, David Hill was trying to land a
helicopter when a beam of light suddenly overwhelmed his night vision
goggles.

Mr. Hill, an emergency services pilot, had been called to airlift a
teenager who had been badly injured in an all-terrain vehicle crash from a
village 35 miles north of Madison, Wis.

But now, Mr. Hill was temporarily blinded.

Flying about 500 feet above the ground, he tried to get his bearings. It
was �like looking into the sun, and all I can see are bright spots,� he
recalled.

A person had pointed a laser at his helicopter. From 2010 to 2021, close
to 70,000 pilots reported similar episodes, according to the Federal
Aviation Administration. Last year it recorded more than 9,700 cases, a
record high, and a 41 percent increase from 2020.

When a laser pointer reaches a cockpit, the light can disorient or
�completely incapacitate� a pilot, who on a commercial airplane could be
responsible for hundreds of passengers, the F.A.A. said. Some commercial
flight paths have been disrupted, causing pilots to change course or even
turn around.

�What you might see as a toy has the capacity to momentarily blind the
crew member,� Billy Nolen, the acting administrator of the F.A.A., said.

Though no plane has ever been reported to have crashed as a result of a
laser strike, Mr. Nolen said in a phone interview that there was always a
risk of a �tragic outcome.� He added, �This is not an arcade game.�

The F.A.A. said one factor for the increase in laser strikes was that
lasers were becoming increasingly powerful, cheap and easy to purchase.
Pilots may also be getting better at reporting the incidents, the agency
said. Other observers point to a society frayed by the pandemic for the
bad behavior.

�If you�re invading the safety of my airplane, then you�re an aggressor,�
said Capt. Dennis Tajer, a spokesman for the Allied Pilots Association,
the union that represents the pilots of American Airlines. �These are
attacks.�

It is a federal crime to knowingly aim a laser pointer at an aircraft.
Offenders can be sentenced to up to five years in prison; the F.A.A. can
also impose civil penalties.

In April, a Philadelphia man was sentenced to one year in prison and fined
$1,000 for shining a laser at a police helicopter. In September, an
Alabama man was sentenced to eight months in prison for aiming a laser at
a helicopter flown by the local sheriff�s office. Also that month, a
Milwaukee man was sentenced to a year of probation for pointing a laser at
law enforcement aircraft during protests against police brutality in 2020.

In many instances, however, cases are difficult to prosecute because
airplane pilots cannot easily spot who is pointing the laser. As of early
March, there had been more than 100 incidents involving lasers pointed at
aircraft around Seattle-Tacoma International Airport. The F.B.I. has
offered a $10,000 reward to find those responsible.

In some cases, those beaming lasers at aircraft have unwittingly led law
enforcement officials directly to their location.

In February 2020, while on patrol near Vacaville, Calif., about 55 miles
northeast of San Francisco, Jan Sears, a California Highway Patrol pilot,
said he was struck by a laser. His aircraft had an infrared camera that
helped identify the source of the light.

�It�s painful,� he said of the laser, describing symptoms that can include
aching and watery eyes, headaches and blurred vision. Officer Sears said
that for several days after the strike, he saw bright afterimages when
closing his eyes.

�Teenagers do dumb stuff,� he said. �But when you start getting adults who
do it, you start to wonder, What is your motivation?�

People who point lasers at aircraft can broadly be divided into two
groups: those who are ignorant of the dangers they pose, and those who are
antisocial, said Patrick Murphy, a laser safety expert who runs the
website LaserPointerSafety.com.

By the accounting of Mr. Murphy, who also serves on a committee that helps
advise the F.A.A. and pilots about the issue, there have been more than
100,000 such strikes globally since 2004. Overwhelmingly, he added, those
charged with pointing lasers are men.

�It�s a guy thing,� said Mr. Murphy, adding that when it comes to lasers,
the bigger and more powerful, the better. �It�s like having a �Star Wars�
light saber,� he added. ��It�s pretty awesome: I have this beam of energy
coming out of my hand.��

The Food and Drug Administration restricts the sale of lasers that are
over five milliwatts for use as pointers, but experts say that more
powerful lasers are easily purchased and that the devices are often
mislabeled.

On TikTok, some videos promote high-powered lasers with links to purchase
them. Such devices can be used at close range to pop balloons and light
cigarettes.

Though other countries have restricted the sales of the devices, Mr.
Murphy and others said that such efforts were unlikely to succeed in the
United States.

He and other experts said that, for now, pilots should be educated about
lasers and be prepared to respond to them. Many pilots have also started
carrying protective goggles.

But Mr. Hill, the emergency services pilot, was unlucky.

That evening in 2018, he was forced to abandon the rescue. Hours later,
his eyes were still burning and aching, he said. By April 2019, he was on
medical leave because of problems with his vision and balance. Mr. Hill,
now 58, retired in April.

Mr. Hill�s doctors told him they could not find any evidence that his
issues were linked with the laser strike, and experts say that permanent
injuries from laser strikes are extremely unlikely. However, Mr. Hill said
he believed there was some correlation.

�I know that I experienced this laser strike,� he said. �A little over
three months later, I couldn�t fly.�

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/02/business/laser-strikes-airplane-
pilots.html

Re: Pilots Contend With Record Number of Laser Strikes, F.A.A. Says

<bae667cf-e979-ecb6-a97f-2977ab2008e0@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7&group=alt.lasers#7

From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Newsgroups: alt.lasers,rec.aviation.piloting,talk.politics.guns,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,sac.politics
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 09:38:14 -0400
 by: Phil Hobbs - Wed, 4 May 2022 13:38 UTC

buh buh biden wrote:
> [...]
> United States.
>
> He and other experts said that, for now, pilots should be educated about
> lasers and be prepared to respond to them. Many pilots have also started
> carrying protective goggles.
>
> But Mr. Hill, the emergency services pilot, was unlucky.
>
> That evening in 2018, he was forced to abandon the rescue. Hours later,
> his eyes were still burning and aching, he said. By April 2019, he was on
> medical leave because of problems with his vision and balance. Mr. Hill,
> now 58, retired in April.
>
> Mr. Hill’s doctors told him they could not find any evidence that his
> issues were linked with the laser strike, and experts say that permanent
> injuries from laser strikes are extremely unlikely. However, Mr. Hill said
> he believed there was some correlation.
>
> “I know that I experienced this laser strike,” he said. “A little over

There's no defense for the idiot waving the laser, and I'm sorry to hear
about the pilot. However, he was wearing _night_vision_goggles_, which
entirely block incoming light--if his eyes were damaged, it was because
the phosphor in the image tube was too bright. That's pretty far-fetched.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Re: Pilots Contend With Record Number of Laser Strikes, F.A.A. Says

<acCcnc3TMMn-Ru__nZ2dnZeNn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8&group=alt.lasers#8

Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 08:03:03 +1200
Newsgroups: alt.lasers,rec.aviation.piloting,talk.politics.guns,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,sac.politics
From: gbl...@hnpl.net (George Black)
 by: George Black - Wed, 4 May 2022 20:03 UTC

On 4/05/2022 7:02 pm, buh buh biden wrote:
> [...]
> United States.
>
> He and other experts said that, for now, pilots should be educated about
> lasers and be prepared to respond to them. Many pilots have also started
> carrying protective goggles.
>
> But Mr. Hill, the emergency services pilot, was unlucky.
>
> That evening in 2018, he was forced to abandon the rescue. Hours later,
> his eyes were still burning and aching, he said. By April 2019, he was on
> medical leave because of problems with his vision and balance. Mr. Hill,
> now 58, retired in April.
>
> Mr. Hill’s doctors told him they could not find any evidence that his
> issues were linked with the laser strike, and experts say that permanent
> injuries from laser strikes are extremely unlikely. However, Mr. Hill said
> he believed there was some correlation.
>
> “I know that I experienced this laser strike,” he said. “A little over

Equip every aircraft with a camera that operates when hit by a laser so
the nutter can be caught and punished

Re: Pilots Contend With Record Number of Laser Strikes, F.A.A. Says

<t4umot$mme$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=9&group=alt.lasers#9

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: alt.lasers,rec.aviation.piloting,talk.politics.guns,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,sac.politics
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 20:13:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Wed, 4 May 2022 20:13 UTC

In <acCcnc3TMMn-Ru__nZ2dnZeNn_idnZ2d@giganews.com> George Black <gblack@hnpl.net> writes:

[snip]

>Equip every aircraft with a camera that operates when hit by a laser so
>the nutter can be caught and punished

Only after we take care of the folk who repost a dozen
screenfuls just so they can add a one line comment.

dannyb@panix.com