Hackers are just a migratory lifeform with a tropism for computers.

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Rick C
+* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Phil Allison
|`- Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Phil Allison
+* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Rick C
|+* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Rick C
||+- Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Phil Allison
||`* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Rick C
|| +- Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Fredxx
|| `* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Rick C
||  +* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Phil Allison
||  |`* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Rick C
||  | `* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Phil Allison
||  |  +* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Ed Lee
||  |  |`- Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Carlos E.R.
||  |  `* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Rick C
||  |   +* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Rick C
||  |   |`- Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Phil Allison
||  |   `* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Phil Allison
||  |    `* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Rick C
||  |     `* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Phil Allison
||  |      `* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Rick C
||  |       `* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Phil Allison
||  |        `* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Rick C
||  |         `- Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Commander Kinsey
||  `* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Rick C
||   `* Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Commander Kinsey
||    `- Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Phil Allison
|`- Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?Phil Allison
`- Re: Troll-feeding Senile Asshole Alert!Billy Build

Pages:12
Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?

<d899f094-e160-4f2d-9360-47db60a9c00bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90038&group=sci.electronics.design#90038

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 12:55:51 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Rick C)
 by: Rick C - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 20:55 UTC

On Sunday, February 13, 2022 at 3:33:49 PM UTC-5, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> https://imgur.com/a/b8l5qKQ
>
> Look at the circuit diagram. The positive of the battery is only connected through a capacitor. How can a capacitor possibly pass DC current to allow the battery to charge?

Maybe it's an AC battery? They are very useful for grid storage applications as long as you can control the phase.

What makes you think that component is a capacitor? I'm assuming you drew the schematic.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?

<8e64c6c1-87cf-429e-9fab-7c20e9bcf772n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90045&group=sci.electronics.design#90045

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 14:54:07 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 22:54 UTC

Commander Kinsey wrote:
=====================

> > What makes you think that component is a capacitor? I'm assuming you drew the schematic.
>
> I've learned from someone on Quora that it's actually a PTC Fuse - a resettable semiconductor fuse.

** It's "self resetting".

Goes high resistance when hot and drops backs when cool.

> The second image in the link shows a brown disk, which I thought was a ceramic capacitor.

** Shame about the odd markings.

> Looks like it's to stop a busted battery from being overcharged when a cell has died.

** Nope.

Would only act on a short or reverse connected battery.

...... Phil

Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?

<999458dc-9395-464c-9d96-1b5da291fe4an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90046&group=sci.electronics.design#90046

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 15:02:03 -0800 (PST)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Rick C)
 by: Rick C - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 23:02 UTC

On Sunday, February 13, 2022 at 5:34:04 PM UTC-5, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Feb 2022 20:55:51 -0000, Rick C <gnuarm.del...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sunday, February 13, 2022 at 3:33:49 PM UTC-5, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> >> https://imgur.com/a/b8l5qKQ
> >>
> >> Look at the circuit diagram. The positive of the battery is only connected through a capacitor. How can a capacitor possibly pass DC current to allow the battery to charge?
> >
> > Maybe it's an AC battery? They are very useful for grid storage applications as long as you can control the phase.
> >
> > What makes you think that component is a capacitor? I'm assuming you drew the schematic.
> I've learned from someone on Quora that it's actually a PTC Fuse - a resettable semiconductor fuse.
>
> The second image in the link shows a brown disk, which I thought was a ceramic capacitor. Looks like it's to stop a busted battery from being overcharged when a cell has died.

It won't do that. It is simply a fuse that prevents too high a current from flowing, such as if you connected the battery backwards.

I'm not sure what this circuit is supposed to do. It doesn't look right to me.

--

Rick C.

+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?

<6c3cb54a-db7f-4a54-998c-c3f4c2af332bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90047&group=sci.electronics.design#90047

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 15:07:12 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 23:07 UTC

Commander Kinsey wrote:
=====================

> >> The second image in the link shows a brown disk, which I thought was a ceramic capacitor.
> >
> > ** Shame about the odd markings.
> Those aren't shown in the pictures.

** Not YOUR charger ??
How deceitful.

> >> Looks like it's to stop a busted battery from being overcharged when a cell has died.
> >
> > ** Nope.
> >
> > Would only act on a short or reverse connected battery.
>
> One cell shorted,

** Is a short.

Fuck off you bullshitting, charlatan IDIOT.

...... Phil

Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?

<c7113919-fba4-4c84-81b3-fa7efa436fabn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90051&group=sci.electronics.design#90051

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 16:10:47 -0800 (PST)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Rick C)
 by: Rick C - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 00:10 UTC

On Sunday, February 13, 2022 at 6:08:03 PM UTC-5, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Feb 2022 23:02:03 -0000, Rick C <gnuarm.del...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I've learned from someone on Quora that it's actually a PTC Fuse - a resettable semiconductor fuse.
> >>
> >> The second image in the link shows a brown disk, which I thought was a ceramic capacitor. Looks like it's to stop a busted battery from being overcharged when a cell has died.
> >
> > It won't do that. It is simply a fuse that prevents too high a current from flowing, such as if you connected the battery backwards.
> Surely a higher current would flow if the battery became 9 cells instead of 10 because one failed and became zero volts? Ever tried charging a car battery with 14V when it only contains 5 working cells? The others boil.
> > I'm not sure what this circuit is supposed to do. It doesn't look right to me.
> It's the (5 hour) charger for a very cheap cordless drill. The input is a 14.4V wall wart. The output is to a pack of NiCad cells. It's worked fine for years, until I can no longer find replacement NiCad cells, so I'm converting the battery packs to LiIon.

My point is this circuit isn't setting the voltage or limiting current other than through the fuse. It appears to be a couple of LEDs that indicate the battery is charging and/or has power. The diode will prevent the transistor from ever turning on more than a tiny amount, but with the gain of the transistor the red LED is turned on with a small current in the transistor BE path. It could be more clear if you redraw it with the base on the right, the resistor to the right of that and the diode across the two. The two resistors and the green LED probably should be on the left, where power comes in. That's all they do is indicate the presence of power.

In any event, it is the wall wart that would seem to be doing all the work of charging the battery, setting the max current and the max voltage just by having a significant series resistance most likely. That's why the fuse is not needed for a shorted cell. Being at 11V instead of 14V isn't enough to make the current jump so much. A short or reversed battery is a different matter.

--

Rick C.

-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?

<2166b2b5-342f-4b29-beb4-e2f28db96695n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90056&group=sci.electronics.design#90056

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 16:36:05 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 00:36 UTC

gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
===========================

> I'm not sure what this circuit is supposed to do. It doesn't look right to me.

** Red LED comes on when charging due to forward drop across the 1A diode.
Green LED comes on when charging complete due to voltage rise on pack.

The pak charges via the 1A diode ONLY.
Same diode protects cct from reverse pak connection.

..... Phil

Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?

<ed246aba-75b9-442d-a022-93ecb28a87b8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90058&group=sci.electronics.design#90058

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 16:59:38 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 00:59 UTC

Commander Kinsey wrote:
=======================

> Unless NiCads are vastly different to car batteries, one shorted cell makes a hell of a lot more current flow.

** Well, that is because they ARE !!

NiCd charging is always constant current with voltage increase or temp sensing.
Lead acid charging is constant voltage with a current limit.

When a NiCd cell approaches full charge, the voltage rises above 1.25V to about 1.45V then DROPS again as it heats severely.
OTOH, as a nominal 2.2V lead acid cell approaches full charge current flow drops suddenly and voltage peaks out at 2.7V
It then out gasses.

...... Phil

Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?

<1f060b89-ad59-4ea3-9425-ca3f282116b1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90059&group=sci.electronics.design#90059

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 17:24:36 -0800 (PST)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Rick C)
 by: Rick C - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 01:24 UTC

On Sunday, February 13, 2022 at 7:47:42 PM UTC-5, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2022 00:10:47 -0000, Rick C <gnuarm.del...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Surely a higher current would flow if the battery became 9 cells instead of 10 because one failed and became zero volts? Ever tried charging a car battery with 14V when it only contains 5 working cells? The others boil.
> >> It's the (5 hour) charger for a very cheap cordless drill. The input is a 14.4V wall wart. The output is to a pack of NiCad cells. It's worked fine for years, until I can no longer find replacement NiCad cells, so I'm converting the battery packs to LiIon.
> >
> > My point is this circuit isn't setting the voltage or limiting current other than through the fuse.
> It will be limited by the wall wart, which is a basic transformer and diodes. Since it's a 5 hour charge, it won't harm the battery to just keep going.
> > It appears to be a couple of LEDs that indicate the battery is charging and/or has power.
> Yes, the battery is basically just charged through the diode and fuse.
> > The diode will prevent the transistor from ever turning on more than a tiny amount, but with the gain of the transistor the red LED is turned on with a small current in the transistor BE path. It could be more clear if you redraw it with the base on the right, the resistor to the right of that and the diode across the two. The two resistors and the green LED probably should be on the left, where power comes in. That's all they do is indicate the presence of power.
> Yeah it was just a quick sketch to try to understand it.
> > In any event, it is the wall wart that would seem to be doing all the work of charging the battery, setting the max current and the max voltage just by having a significant series resistance most likely.
> Ah, you beat me to it.
> > That's why the fuse is not needed for a shorted cell. Being at 11V instead of 14V isn't enough to make the current jump so much. A short or reversed battery is a different matter.
> Unless NiCads are vastly different to car batteries, one shorted cell makes a hell of a lot more current flow.

THE WALL WART LIMITS THE CURRENT AND PREVENTS ANY ISSUES FROM A SINGLE SHORTED CELL.

Is that clear?

--

Rick C.

+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?

<suchc3$fil$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90062&group=sci.electronics.design#90062

From: fre...@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 03:13:08 +0000
 by: Fredxx - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 03:13 UTC

On 14/02/2022 03:04, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2022 01:24:36 -0000, Rick C
> <gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, February 13, 2022 at 7:47:42 PM UTC-5, Commander Kinsey wrote:

>>> only connected through a capacitor. How can a capacitor possibly pass
>>> DC current to allow the battery to charge?

>>> storage applications as long as you can control the phase.

>>> assuming you drew the schematic.
>>> Fuse - a resettable semiconductor fuse.

>>> thought was a ceramic capacitor. Looks like it's to stop a busted
>>> battery from being overcharged when a cell has died.

>>> current from flowing, such as if you connected the battery backwards.
>>> instead of 10 because one failed and became zero volts? Ever tried
>>> charging a car battery with 14V when it only contains 5 working
>>> cells? The others boil.
>>> look right to me.
>>> input is a 14.4V wall wart. The output is to a pack of NiCad cells.
>>> It's worked fine for years, until I can no longer find replacement
>>> NiCad cells, so I'm converting the battery packs to LiIon.

>>> current other than through the fuse.
>>> It will be limited by the wall wart, which is a basic transformer and
>>> diodes. Since it's a 5 hour charge, it won't harm the battery to just
>>> keep going.
>>> charging and/or has power.
>>> Yes, the battery is basically just charged through the diode and fuse.
>>> than a tiny amount, but with the gain of the transistor the red LED
>>> is turned on with a small current in the transistor BE path. It could
>>> be more clear if you redraw it with the base on the right, the
>>> resistor to the right of that and the diode across the two. The two
>>> resistors and the green LED probably should be on the left, where
>>> power comes in. That's all they do is indicate the presence of power.
>>> Yeah it was just a quick sketch to try to understand it.
>>> the work of charging the battery, setting the max current and the max
>>> voltage just by having a significant series resistance most likely.
>>> Ah, you beat me to it.
>>> instead of 14V isn't enough to make the current jump so much. A short
>>> or reversed battery is a different matter.
>>> Unless NiCads are vastly different to car batteries, one shorted cell
>>> makes a hell of a lot more current flow.
>>
>> THE WALL WART LIMITS THE CURRENT AND PREVENTS ANY ISSUES FROM A SINGLE
>> SHORTED CELL.
>>
>> Is that clear?
>
> Yes, so why have the semiconductor fuse at all?
>
> [other groups reinstated to stop you limiting the audience - others may
> be reading this in another group]
> Oh, you use google groups.  My god man get a newsreader program.

Why would anyone want to read your posts?

You ask stupid questions and don't understand the replies.

Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?

<56073cc8-40fc-43c5-9742-30f8e434a53fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90068&group=sci.electronics.design#90068

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 20:30:57 -0800 (PST)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Rick C)
 by: Rick C - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 04:30 UTC

On Sunday, February 13, 2022 at 10:04:23 PM UTC-5, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2022 01:24:36 -0000, Rick C <gnuarm.del...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> It will be limited by the wall wart, which is a basic transformer and diodes. Since it's a 5 hour charge, it won't harm the battery to just keep going.
> >> Yes, the battery is basically just charged through the diode and fuse.
> >> Yeah it was just a quick sketch to try to understand it.
> >> Ah, you beat me to it.
> >> Unless NiCads are vastly different to car batteries, one shorted cell makes a hell of a lot more current flow.
> >
> > THE WALL WART LIMITS THE CURRENT AND PREVENTS ANY ISSUES FROM A SINGLE SHORTED CELL.
> >
> > Is that clear?
> Yes, so why have the semiconductor fuse at all?
>
> [other groups reinstated to stop you limiting the audience - others may be reading this in another group]
> Oh, you use google groups. My god man get a newsreader program.

As I said, when you reverse connect the battery, you double the voltage in the circuit. Rather than having a difference of a couple of volts in the EMF opposing the current, you now have a voltage that is perhaps 10 times that total. Yeah, that's going to push some unreasonable current though the power pack, so the fuse is needed.

Exactly which quirks where those?

--

Rick C.

++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?

<17542971-354e-4f4d-8b62-67026bfe0f3cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90080&group=sci.electronics.design#90080

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 23:48:56 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 07:48 UTC

gnuarm.del...@gmail.com :
= fucking MORON
===========================

> As I said, when you reverse connect the battery, you double the voltage in the circuit.
> Rather than having a difference of a couple of volts in the EMF opposing the current,
> you now have a voltage that is perhaps 10 times that total.

** What do you think the fucking 1A DIODE in series does ??

Whistle Dixie ???

Re: Troll-feeding Senile Asshole Alert!

<8d1b7f11-7288-49f9-834e-bc35b64cf4d9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90092&group=sci.electronics.design#90092

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 07:22:07 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Troll-feeding Senile Asshole Alert!
From: buildbet...@gmail.com (Billy Build)
 by: Billy Build - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 15:22 UTC

On Monday, February 14, 2022 at 5:44:53 AM UTC-8, Peeler wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2022 07:22:30 -0500, Paul, another mentally deficient,
> troll-feeding, senile asshole, blathered:
> > The shape of the edge of the device,
> > hints that it is not a disc capacitor.
> The presentation of his posts, as well as his entire posting history, hints
> that he is a fucking stupid troll and attention whore, troll-feeding senile
> asshole!

Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?

<948264f9-b902-4c95-ae67-72e919f6525cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90102&group=sci.electronics.design#90102

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 10:17:38 -0800 (PST)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Rick C)
 by: Rick C - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 18:17 UTC

On Monday, February 14, 2022 at 1:32:58 AM UTC-5, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2022 04:30:57 -0000, Rick C <gnuarm.del...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Yes, so why have the semiconductor fuse at all?
> >>
> >> [other groups reinstated to stop you limiting the audience - others may be reading this in another group]
> >> Oh, you use google groups. My god man get a newsreader program.
> >
> > As I said, when you reverse connect the battery, you double the voltage in the circuit. Rather than having a difference of a couple of volts in the EMF opposing the current, you now have a voltage that is perhaps 10 times that total. Yeah, that's going to push some unreasonable current though the power pack, so the fuse is needed.
> Since the battery pack, like any cordless drill, has a semicircle shaped connector, it cannot possibly be connected backwards.

Did the guy designing the board know that would be the case? Even connecting a shorted battery is much worse than a single shorted cell. I don't get why you are arguing this.

--

Rick C.

--+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
--+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?

<41081978-3c47-443a-8726-6889066b81b2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90104&group=sci.electronics.design#90104

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 10:19:38 -0800 (PST)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Rick C)
 by: Rick C - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 18:19 UTC

On Monday, February 14, 2022 at 2:49:05 AM UTC-5, palli...@gmail.com wrote:
> gnuarm.del...@gmail.com :
> = fucking MORON
> ===========================
> >
> > As I said, when you reverse connect the battery, you double the voltage in the circuit.
> > Rather than having a difference of a couple of volts in the EMF opposing the current,
> > you now have a voltage that is perhaps 10 times that total.
> >
> ** What do you think the fucking 1A DIODE in series does ??
>
> Whistle Dixie ???

LOL Now he doesn't even understand the circuit. Try looking at the schematic and tell me what the diode will do if the battery is connected in reverse?

I guess we all get old in our old age.

--

Rick C.

-++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
-++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?

<364d502b-35aa-4cce-baaa-e7fe2a491f58n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90110&group=sci.electronics.design#90110

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 13:02:29 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 21:02 UTC

gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
= fucking MORON

===========================

> > > As I said, when you reverse connect the battery, you double the voltage in the circuit.
> > > Rather than having a difference of a couple of volts in the EMF opposing the current,
> > > you now have a voltage that is perhaps 10 times that total.
> > >
> > ** What do you think the fucking 1A DIODE in series does ??
> >
> > Whistle Dixie ???

> LOL Now he doesn't even understand the circuit. Try looking at the schematic and tell me what the diode will do if the battery is connected in reverse?

** Stop current flow back into the charging circuit.
The battery will charge in reverse and soon go reverse polarity.
The PTC ( aka Polyfuse) will not act.

This is NOT a stand alone charger - but incorporated inside a tool.
So the NiCd pak cannot be easily reverse connected.

...... Phil

Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?

<04cbb8e4-d247-43ef-beb1-b1a6f64129aan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90113&group=sci.electronics.design#90113

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 13:55:53 -0800 (PST)
From: edward.m...@gmail.com (Ed Lee)
 by: Ed Lee - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 21:55 UTC

On Monday, February 14, 2022 at 1:02:37 PM UTC-8, palli...@gmail.com wrote:
> gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
> = fucking MORON
>
> ===========================

> > > ** What do you think the fucking 1A DIODE in series does ??
> > >
> > > Whistle Dixie ???
>
> > LOL Now he doesn't even understand the circuit. Try looking at the schematic and tell me what the diode will do if the battery is connected in reverse?
> ** Stop current flow back into the charging circuit.
> The battery will charge in reverse and soon go reverse polarity.
> The PTC ( aka Polyfuse) will not act.
>
> This is NOT a stand alone charger - but incorporated inside a tool.
> So the NiCd pak cannot be easily reverse connected.

Still not a good idea to have the battery charging the charger, when power is off.

Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?

<1e5ff004-fb3a-40eb-96f4-b8ed8dcb2c96n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90115&group=sci.electronics.design#90115

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 14:06:27 -0800 (PST)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Rick C)
 by: Rick C - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 22:06 UTC

On Monday, February 14, 2022 at 4:02:37 PM UTC-5, palli...@gmail.com wrote:
> gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
> = fucking MORON
>
> ===========================

> > > ** What do you think the fucking 1A DIODE in series does ??
> > >
> > > Whistle Dixie ???
>
> > LOL Now he doesn't even understand the circuit. Try looking at the schematic and tell me what the diode will do if the battery is connected in reverse?
> ** Stop current flow back into the charging circuit.
> The battery will charge in reverse and soon go reverse polarity.
> The PTC ( aka Polyfuse) will not act.

I figured you would say something like that. The diode will not prevent current from flowing if the battery is backwards. In that case the power pack and battery both are pushing current in the same direction which the diode will happily conduct.

It will however, prevent current from flowing back into a charger that is unplugged from the power source.

The reality is the 1 amp diode is there to limit the current through the transistor base and so the collector which feeds the LED. So the 1amp diode is limiting the LED current.

--

Rick C.

+-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
+-- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?

<6b14d3dd-1ba5-4ee5-acbe-686e3ce61fa5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90116&group=sci.electronics.design#90116

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 14:18:16 -0800 (PST)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Rick C)
 by: Rick C - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 22:18 UTC

Does anyone know what is going on with this Peeler guy or gal? Peeler's posts seem very hateful without any purpose whatsoever. Just rants with no substance.

I know, I know, you are wondering how these posts stand out in s.e.d? But I think these posts stand out even here. Not a lot of difference from Phil's sort of obscene rants, but there's no technical content at all!

This person reminds me of some of the loonies in c.l.f. But even those people aren't this detached from reality.

--

Rick C.

+-+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
+-+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?

<i81rdi-ss2.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90118&group=sci.electronics.design#90118

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 23:21:38 +0100
<17542971-354e-4f4d-8b62-67026bfe0f3cn@googlegroups.com>
<41081978-3c47-443a-8726-6889066b81b2n@googlegroups.com>
<364d502b-35aa-4cce-baaa-e7fe2a491f58n@googlegroups.com>
<04cbb8e4-d247-43ef-beb1-b1a6f64129aan@googlegroups.com>
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 22:21 UTC

On 2022-02-14 22:55, Ed Lee wrote:
> On Monday, February 14, 2022 at 1:02:37 PM UTC-8, palli...@gmail.com wrote:
>> gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
>> = fucking MORON
>>
>> ===========================

>>> LOL Now he doesn't even understand the circuit. Try looking at the schematic and tell me what the diode will do if the battery is connected in reverse?
>> ** Stop current flow back into the charging circuit.
>> The battery will charge in reverse and soon go reverse polarity.
>> The PTC ( aka Polyfuse) will not act.
>>
>> This is NOT a stand alone charger - but incorporated inside a tool.
>> So the NiCd pak cannot be easily reverse connected.
>
> Still not a good idea to have the battery charging the charger, when power is off.

Considering the charger is a simple transformer and diode bridge, maybe
with a capacitor, there should be no issue. But this circuit itself
would be powered by the battery. The green led would light, perhaps.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?

<7d916f4e-42b0-477b-8b70-fdf0fe5298d0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90119&group=sci.electronics.design#90119

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 15:35:12 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 23:35 UTC

gnuarm.delusional MORON rote:

==========================

> The reality is the 1 amp diode is there to limit the current through the transistor
> base and so the collector which feeds the LED. So the 1amp diode is limiting the LED current.

** TOTAL CRAP YOU IDIOT

It senses battery charge current.
At a low enough value, the BJT will turn off and the LED go out.

...... Phil

Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?

<8d5f03c6-6a39-44f4-9261-410569f75648n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90120&group=sci.electronics.design#90120

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 15:38:28 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 23:38 UTC

gnuarm.delusional MORON :

=========================

> Does anyone know what is going on with this Peeler guy or gal?

** He is OUTING a trolling, cross posting, nym shifiting fuckwit.

> Peeler's posts seem very hateful without any purpose whatsoever.

** The purpose is obvious to all non TROLLS.

> This person reminds me of some of the loonies in c.l.f.

** Your close relatives - right ?

Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?

<op.1hlyaff6mvhs6z@ryzen.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90124&group=sci.electronics.design#90124

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
<op.1hkhssk8mvhs6z@ryzen.lan>
<948264f9-b902-4c95-ae67-72e919f6525cn@googlegroups.com>
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2022 01:26:29 -0000
 by: Commander Kinsey - Tue, 15 Feb 2022 01:26 UTC

On Mon, 14 Feb 2022 18:17:38 -0000, Rick C <gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, February 14, 2022 at 1:32:58 AM UTC-5, Commander Kinsey wrote:

>> > As I said, when you reverse connect the battery, you double the voltage in the circuit. Rather than having a difference of a couple of volts in the EMF opposing the current, you now have a voltage that is perhaps 10 times that total. Yeah, that's going to push some unreasonable current though the power pack, so the fuse is needed.
>> Since the battery pack, like any cordless drill, has a semicircle shaped connector, it cannot possibly be connected backwards.
>
> Did the guy designing the board know that would be the case?

Well I guess the board could be used for many things. It's voltage dependant or the LEDs would fail, so it has to be used a for a roughly 14.4V battery pack, which is usually a drill.

> Even connecting a shorted battery is much worse than a single shorted cell. I don't get why you are arguing this.

Never heard of a shorted battery. Not all the cells at once.

Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?

<2e64d3cf-b178-4bd2-ad14-901e25831ae0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90125&group=sci.electronics.design#90125

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 17:41:37 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Tue, 15 Feb 2022 01:41 UTC

Commander Kinsey wrote:
=====================

> Never heard of a shorted battery. Not all the cells at once.

** Happens regularly with NiCd cells.

The pak will read near zero volts and refuse to charge normally.
Some of the cells may show reverse voltage - up 2 V.

Other cells may have a hard short - Cadmium whiskers shorting the plates.
Google it - fuckhead.

....... Phil

Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?

<8406de3a-7884-4cfc-9178-7220d17e9386n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90129&group=sci.electronics.design#90129

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 18:08:40 -0800 (PST)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Rick C)
 by: Rick C - Tue, 15 Feb 2022 02:08 UTC

On Monday, February 14, 2022 at 6:35:20 PM UTC-5, palli...@gmail.com wrote:
> gnuarm.delusional MORON rote:
>
> =========================> >
> > The reality is the 1 amp diode is there to limit the current through the transistor
> > base and so the collector which feeds the LED. So the 1amp diode is limiting the LED current.
> ** TOTAL CRAP YOU IDIOT
>
> It senses battery charge current.
> At a low enough value, the BJT will turn off and the LED go out.

You didn't understand a thing I wrote, did you? DIODE. I'm talking about the DIODE.

The BE junction of the transistor and a resistor are across the diode. This way as the current to the battery increases, the diode limits the voltage across the BE junction and resistor, limiting the increase in BE current and therefore the current in the collector and the LED. Otherwise the LED current would vary a great deal more than it does in this circuit which allows the LED to light more evenly during the charging time.

--

Rick C.

++- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
++- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Re: Can anyone explain how this battery charger works?

<8c398884-15f4-4afc-ae82-5da3eddd12f8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90142&group=sci.electronics.design#90142

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 20:40:33 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Tue, 15 Feb 2022 04:40 UTC

gnuarm.delusional MORON rote:

> > > The reality is the 1 amp diode is there to limit the current through the transistor
> > > base and so the collector which feeds the LED. So the 1amp diode is limiting the LED current.
> > ** TOTAL CRAP YOU IDIOT
> >
> > It senses battery charge current.
>>
> > At a low enough value, the BJT will turn off and the LED go out.
>
> You didn't understand a thing I wrote,

** It was full of ABSURD FUCKING CRAP

like you !!!