Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 16:20:09 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Ridley build
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 23:20 UTC

The fork and the Shimano Freehub arrived today.

The headset came with the frame so all I had to do was used the bottom headset cone hammer to knock the headset down, insert the top headset bearing and insert the BMC Racing Fork. The lower cone was still about a millimeter from absolute bottom but riding the bike will knock it on all the way with the body weight. I don't like hammering on carbon fiber even with the proper tools so I'll just carry a stem tightening Allen wrench and readjust it as necessary. As hard as it fit it may not move at all.

I also received the Pro Lite Shimano freehub and installed that on the rear wheel and then fit the 11-34 11 speed cogset. A mid-length Dura Ace or Ultegra rear derailleur wouldn't shift that since they're only good for 32. But the XT electric rear derailleur will. And I also have a 36 rear cogset if I could stand riding that slow.

The Pro Lite rear Freehub is apparently Novatek - it dismantles and reassembles the same way though it looks different. The freehub includes a spacer if you want to use it for a 10 speed.

When the handlebar and seat post come in (although with Chinese prices they are the Ritchey and Bontrager parts)

Presently I am still missing the seatpost and integrated handlebar. They are due in about next Wednesday though they are estimating next month. But that is so you can't complain about late parts. Both of these parts are already on the airplane due probably for San Francisco or LA. I also need the Di2 wire that goes from the 4 way connector to the rear derailleur which is 600 mm In order to wire everything, I will have to pull the crankset and take out the main BB30 assembly. Since I have the proper socket wrench that will only take a couple of minutes. I will route all of the cables over the BB30 so that all of the extra wires will be in the downtube. Maybe also stuff that with a foam block so that it doesn't rattle. I also have to get an Ultegra chain and clean and wax it. Since I have all of the proper tools that is only an hour. The cassette is MicroSHIFT it may not be as sensitive as a Shimano cassette is to using only Shimano chains. But the 36 tooth cassette I have is Shimano.

When the seat post comes in, I fit the saddle and the Di2 Battery into the seat post using the rubber sleeve push in the battery wire and drop it down the seat tube. Then adjust the saddle height.

When the integrated bars come in I will fit the levers and the bar end battery controller and charging port I do have one Y-connector but I believe that the wires will be too short. The longer set should be in with the other stuff within one or two days. Only one wire will exit the handlebar and enter the Di2 port on the drive side (or perhaps the off-side if that's more comfortable.)

With the wiring completed and the BB30 and crankset back into place, I will charge the battery overnight and then use the E-tube software to adjust the shifting of the Di2. Then put the handlebar take on and fill the tubeless tires.

Locally here we have a pro bike fitter so if I find the fit to be a little off I will go to him.

This puts me on a pro level bike for $1,400. I will only be using it for hard climbing rides but there are a lot of those in the area. One is Mines Road which while not terrible climbing is a real rotten return trip in normal wind conditions. There is no stopping on that ride The half way house appears to be completely gone on Google Earth but I would have to drive out there to see. It was pretty invisible when you rode up to it. There is what looks like a pile of ashes though so there might have been a fire. There are several escape routes so I don't imagine anyone was hurt if that was the case.

Re: Ridley build

<fb37b896-4d71-4e11-8ba1-c91161d063f4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90283&group=rec.bicycles.tech#90283

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 00:22:55 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Ridley build
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Sat, 26 Aug 2023 07:22 UTC

On Saturday, August 26, 2023 at 1:20:11 AM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:
> [...]
>
> Locally here we have a pro bike fitter so if I find the fit to be a little off I will go to him.
>
> This puts me on a pro level bike for $1,400. I will only be using it for hard climbing rides but there are a lot of those in the area. One is Mines Road which while not terrible climbing is a real rotten return trip in normal wind conditions. There is no stopping on that ride The half way house appears to be completely gone on Google Earth but I would have to drive out there to see. It was pretty invisible when you rode up to it. There is what looks like a pile of ashes though so there might have been a fire. There are several escape routes so I don't imagine anyone was hurt if that was the case.

Tip, check your Di2 system on the bench first before you wire everyting up inside the frame.

Lou