Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 07:52:12 -0800
Subject: Re: U.S. Terrified at Prospect of Impending Russian Cyber Attacks-
You should be too.
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: spa...@flippers.com (John Robertson)
 by: John Robertson - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 15:52 UTC

On 2022/02/24 10:35 p.m., Fred Bloggs wrote:
> https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/24/tech/russia-ukraine-us-sanctions-cyberattacks/index.html

What, the US doesn't have it's own cyberattackers? I doubt that very
much. Like the Russians they just don't talk about them...

John

Re: U.S. Terrified at Prospect of Impending Russian Cyber Attacks- You should be too.

<d93fbd2f-d709-4f1d-b2d7-f7f2cbf39282n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91027&group=sci.electronics.design#91027

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 08:05:03 -0800 (PST)
You should be too.
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Rick C)
 by: Rick C - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 16:05 UTC

On Friday, February 25, 2022 at 10:52:27 AM UTC-5, John Robertson wrote:
> On 2022/02/24 10:35 p.m., Fred Bloggs wrote:
> > https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/24/tech/russia-ukraine-us-sanctions-cyberattacks/index.html
>
> What, the US doesn't have it's own cyberattackers? I doubt that very
> much. Like the Russians they just don't talk about them...

They do talk about them. It has been in the news that we are "considering" our cyber-response. That means we are trying like hell to disrupt their military actions (without divulging too much of our capabilities) and probably also civilian activities. If we can shut down power generation and water, it will likely disrupt the military somewhat.

I can believe Russia is attacking the breakaway regions, Russia saw to it they had a plausible justification for that. But they are attacking the entire country of Ukraine with no justification at all. I don't think they've even acknowledged that. It's going to be a cold winter in Europe and the world economy is going to suffer. The sanctions are going to hurt everyone..

Interesting how the Chinese have reacted. I'm starting to agree that China is working toward an invasion of Taiwan. I can't imagine it will be any time soon though. I wonder how the Ukraine invasion will impact the world response to similar actions in Taiwan.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: U.S. Terrified at Prospect of Impending Russian Cyber Attacks- You should be too.

<svb1hl$fa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91031&group=sci.electronics.design#91031

From: david.br...@hesbynett.no (David Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
You should be too.
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 17:53:08 +0100
 by: David Brown - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 16:53 UTC

On 25/02/2022 17:05, Rick C wrote:
> On Friday, February 25, 2022 at 10:52:27 AM UTC-5, John Robertson
> wrote:
>> On 2022/02/24 10:35 p.m., Fred Bloggs wrote:
>>> https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/24/tech/russia-ukraine-us-sanctions-cyberattacks/index.html
>>>

>> What, the US doesn't have it's own cyberattackers? I doubt that
>> very much. Like the Russians they just don't talk about them...
>
> They do talk about them. It has been in the news that we are
> "considering" our cyber-response. That means we are trying like hell
> to disrupt their military actions (without divulging too much of our
> capabilities) and probably also civilian activities. If we can shut
> down power generation and water, it will likely disrupt the military
> somewhat.
>
> I can believe Russia is attacking the breakaway regions, Russia saw
> to it they had a plausible justification for that. But they are
> attacking the entire country of Ukraine with no justification at all.
> I don't think they've even acknowledged that. It's going to be a
> cold winter in Europe and the world economy is going to suffer. The
> sanctions are going to hurt everyone.

Russia is invading /all/ of Ukraine. They (Putin and his cronies) say
they don't intend to occupy the country, but want to force a regime
change because they don't think the current Ukrainian leadership is
democratic. (The hypocrisy is hard to believe.) If they succeed, they
will install a puppet Russia-friendly government in Ukraine - and that
government will promptly invite Russia to set up military bases.
Technically, that won't be a Russian military occupation because they
will be invited by the host country - like American military bases in
European countries. The made-up justifications for this invasion are
even more feeble than those of Israel or America in Iraq.

Yes, it is a nasty business, and everyone suffers. Obviously the
Ukrainians will suffer most, but the secondary effects of sanctions and
economic costs will affect even those on the other side of the world.

> Interesting how the Chinese have reacted. I'm starting to agree that
> China is working toward an invasion of Taiwan. I can't imagine it
> will be any time soon though. I wonder how the Ukraine invasion will
> impact the world response to similar actions in Taiwan.

I am sure China is watching and learning, and will take the world's
reaction into account when considering what to do about Taiwan. China
will not be making any hasty decisions here, and are trying to keep a
neutral position - they will want Russia's political support if they
invade Taiwan, so they want to keep on Russia's good side here, but they
also don't want to suffer economically if Russia comes out worst.