Another megabytes the dust.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Mechanical vs Electronic shifting

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Mechanical vs Electronic shiftingTom Kunich
+* Re: Mechanical vs Electronic shiftingAMuzi
|+* Re: Mechanical vs Electronic shiftingTom Kunich
||`* Re: Mechanical vs Electronic shiftingAMuzi
|| `* Re: Mechanical vs Electronic shiftingTom Kunich
||  `- Re: Mechanical vs Electronic shiftingJohn B.
|`- Re: Mechanical vs Electronic shiftingJohn B.
+* Re: Mechanical vs Electronic shiftingRoger Meriman
|`- Re: Mechanical vs Electronic shiftingTom Kunich
`- Re: Mechanical vs Electronic shiftingFrank Krygowski

1
Re: Mechanical vs Electronic shifting

<b19df1f3-dfb1-4164-b5cf-dfb42d27200cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91233&group=rec.bicycles.tech#91233

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 13:01:31 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Mechanical vs Electronic shifting
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 20:01 UTC

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Mechanical vs Electronic shifting

<ud830u$24720$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91240&group=rec.bicycles.tech#91240

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 15:28:15 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 20:28 UTC

On 9/5/2023 3:01 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> That's why riding bike trails works so well for me. It's pretty much
>>> mindless hard work in pursuit of a goal. I'm most relaxed when I'm
>>> working hard at something. Driving isn't hard work, but at least I'm
>>> doing something instead of sitting in plane.
>>>
>> Well that is a reason to drive and yes I can see a EV would probably be
>> tedious in that regard at least for longer distances than it’s maximum
>> range.
>>
>> For myself I like cafe stops be that car or bike so for example sitting 30
>> mins with cappuccino and cake while the car charges as I habitually do tend
>> to stop at one motorway services which has outside cafe and charging bays,
>> so for me nothing would change much.
>>
>> For me the EV hasn’t yet been built ie decent estate car and well that for
>> me a car is rather secondary method of transport it’s use is mainly back to
>> wales and so on, day to day it’s bike/bus/train depending on which makes
>> more sense. And as such I’m quite happy with a old car.
>>
>> I’d assume at some point it will flip and become easier to live with a EV
>> than ICE car for more people.
>>
>> Roger Merriman
>
> Elon Musk and Tesla have really set the trend for electric cars in this country and I don't think that Ford or Chevy are going to change that. Pickup Trucks are work vehicles and are popular for that use. While the local punks might want to copy Daddy but be Woke at the same time might get an electric truck, the vast majority of PU's will continue to be the sort of thing that can be refueled from a jerry can in the field.
>
> In short, EV's will continue to be Tesla's or copies.
>
> And the cost will keep most people out of them. The cheap end of the Tesla's now cost what ICE cars do but everyone that buys them wants things like self-driving and dashboard navigation etc. which puts the price all the way back to the Tesla price of yesteryear. Are you going to pay a Ford F150 ICE for $37,000 or a Tesla for $127,000? That difference buys a LOT of gas unless you're social signaling like Krygowski.
>
> Chevy has canceled production of the Bolt because people want to social signal in a luxury car and not something that looks like it was made in China. The problem with Krygowski is that if his EV caught fire and burned his house down he would never admit it and would continue to tell us how great EV's are. Most people with EV's are this way. Where I ride are several pharmaceutical companies and the parking lots are wall to wall Tesla's. I imagine for most people that is a good idea since they live close and charging is minimal. But $90,000 price difference buys an awful lot of gas. Especially when the Federal subsidies on the price of electricity come off. Where do you suppose they are going to get the extra electricity when we are presently having blackouts all across the US. Even New York City had a major blackout in Harlem. (no wisecracks please)

<oHMJM.1433465$8uM.177325@fx11.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91242&group=rec.bicycles.tech#91242

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Meriman)
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2023 21:02:12 GMT
 by: Roger Meriman - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 21:02 UTC

<e8dfa4c4-93ea-42a7-b756-cfe8459b4682n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91245&group=rec.bicycles.tech#91245

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 14:52:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 21:52 UTC

<f4089b6c-3232-43ed-8d59-89464bebbd44n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91246&group=rec.bicycles.tech#91246

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 14:55:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 21:55 UTC

On Tuesday, September 5, 2023 at 2:02:15 PM UTC-7, Roger Meriman wrote:
> [...]
> > Chevy has canceled production of the Bolt because people want to social
> > signal in a luxury car and not something that looks like it was made in
> > China. The problem with Krygowski is that if his EV caught fire and
> > burned his house down he would never admit it and would continue to tell
> > us how great EV's are. Most people with EV's are this way. Where I ride
> > are several pharmaceutical companies and the parking lots are wall to
> > wall Tesla's. I imagine for most people that is a good idea since they
> > live close and charging is minimal. But $90,000 price difference buys an
> > awful lot of gas. Especially when the Federal subsidies on the price of
> > electricity come off. Where do you suppose they are going to get the
> > extra electricity when we are presently having blackouts all across the
> > US. Even New York City had a major blackout in Harlem. (no wisecracks please)

The Tesla truck is nothing more than an electric Chevy El Camino - made to carry your bike to the trail head.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Mechanical vs Electronic shifting

<ud89m9$255np$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91247&group=rec.bicycles.tech#91247

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 17:22:02 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 22:22 UTC

On 9/5/2023 4:52 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 5, 2023 at 1:28:17 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:

>>> Elon Musk and Tesla have really set the trend for electric cars in this country and I don't think that Ford or Chevy are going to change that. Pickup Trucks are work vehicles and are popular for that use. While the local punks might want to copy Daddy but be Woke at the same time might get an electric truck, the vast majority of PU's will continue to be the sort of thing that can be refueled from a jerry can in the field.
>>>
>>> In short, EV's will continue to be Tesla's or copies.
>>>
>>> And the cost will keep most people out of them. The cheap end of the Tesla's now cost what ICE cars do but everyone that buys them wants things like self-driving and dashboard navigation etc. which puts the price all the way back to the Tesla price of yesteryear. Are you going to pay a Ford F150 ICE for $37,000 or a Tesla for $127,000? That difference buys a LOT of gas unless you're social signaling like Krygowski.
>>>
>>> Chevy has canceled production of the Bolt because people want to social signal in a luxury car and not something that looks like it was made in China. The problem with Krygowski is that if his EV caught fire and burned his house down he would never admit it and would continue to tell us how great EV's are. Most people with EV's are this way. Where I ride are several pharmaceutical companies and the parking lots are wall to wall Tesla's. I imagine for most people that is a good idea since they live close and charging is minimal. But $90,000 price difference buys an awful lot of gas. Especially when the Federal subsidies on the price of electricity come off. Where do you suppose they are going to get the extra electricity when we are presently having blackouts all across the US. Even New York City had a major blackout in Harlem. (no wisecracks please)
>> Ford for example, "is set to lose $4.5 billion more this
>> year than expected on EV and battery production. "
>>
>> https://www.theautopian.com/yes-ford-is-moving-full-speed-ahead-on-evs-despite-losses/
>> --
>> Andrew Muzi
>> a...@yellowjersey.org
>> Open every day since 1 April, 1971
>
> Their board of directors are going to learn the price of going Woke. Woke is NOT the younger generation that is going to be future buyers, they are a crazy set of people that have crazy beliefs like men can become women by force of will and sterility surgery. That ANYONE would believe this shows that they are insane. Insane people do not make a good market.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Mechanical vs Electronic shifting

<f7ee2ddd-8989-44b3-b424-6f29bca1e892n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91248&group=rec.bicycles.tech#91248

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 15:40:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 22:40 UTC

On Tuesday, September 5, 2023 at 3:22:05 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
> On 9/5/2023 4:52 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

> >> Ford for example, "is set to lose $4.5 billion more this
> >> year than expected on EV and battery production. "
> >>
> >> https://www.theautopian.com/yes-ford-is-moving-full-speed-ahead-on-evs-despite-losses/
> >> --
> >> Andrew Muzi
> >> a...@yellowjersey.org
> >> Open every day since 1 April, 1971
> >
> > Their board of directors are going to learn the price of going Woke. Woke is NOT the younger generation that is going to be future buyers, they are a crazy set of people that have crazy beliefs like men can become women by force of will and sterility surgery. That ANYONE would believe this shows that they are insane. Insane people do not make a good market.
> Ford is not going away. In this racket, expensive policy
> failures lead to more expensive remedial policy failures.
> Between Ford's stock price and the unions, subsidies,
> regulatory exemptions and so on will be applied until some
> other manufacturer leads in the news, not Ford. Repeat as
> necessary.
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> a...@yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971
Well, we need only watch. The unions are NOT going to like the balance sheet any more than the board of directors. The more money lost the fewer the employees. And remember that electric cars have almost no moving components for workers to build. Batteries are almost entirely automated construction. Electric motors likewise. You don't make a living by cutting your own throat. And the cost of electricity will sky-rocket. I'm surprised my bill had only gone up 40%. Where do you suppose that they are going to get electricity in California in a couple of dry years?

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Mechanical vs Electronic shifting

<vkbffi95ptt3j9926lh2p2p5071ul6okt6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91249&group=rec.bicycles.tech#91249

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2023 05:42:56 +0700
 by: John B. - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 22:42 UTC

On Tue, 5 Sep 2023 15:28:15 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

> [...]
>
>Ford for example, "is set to lose $4.5 billion more this
>year than expected on EV and battery production. "

<4icffip2bc4970omfdsc14bo4a450u78at@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91250&group=rec.bicycles.tech#91250

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2023 06:04:04 +0700
 by: John B. - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 23:04 UTC

<ud8p64$2b3ju$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91255&group=rec.bicycles.tech#91255

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 22:46:28 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 02:46 UTC

On 9/5/2023 4:01 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> ... lots of predictions.

Does anyone have a record of a Kunich prediction that actually came
true? I'm remembering his governor's predicted recall, the last
presidential election, the last congressional elections, during which
Tom's predictions were perfectly wrong, as usual.

I guess I could write some of his predictions down, just for grins.

--
- Frank Krygowski