Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 13:10:20 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Mechanical vs Electronic shifting
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 20:10 UTC

On Wednesday, August 23, 2023 at 10:58:08 AM UTC-7, Catrike Rider wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Aug 2023 17:35:05 GMT, Roger Meriman <ro...@sarlet.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Catrike Rider <sol...@drafting.not> wrote:

> >> When I went looking for bike lights for my first bicycling trip to Key
> >> west, the LBS salesperson actually began talking about a dynamo. He
> >> stopped when I rolled my eyes at him. That was, by the way, before the
> >> Catrike, for which a dynamo wouldn't work.
> >>

> >Recumbent are probably the target market for dynamos, in terms of folks who
> >buy them. So I can see why they might have attempted to up sell as they
> >say!
> >
> >Roger Merriman
>
> I don't know why recumbents would be any more of a target for dynamos
> that other biikes, and it wasn't a recumbent I was looking to put
> lights on. On the other hand, most good salespersons will try to "up
> sell," and I generally don't take offense of it when it occurs.

I can't find it now. Perhaps I mistook a Disk Actuator for a derailleur. But I could easily design a derailleur that operated on the front half of the cassette. The arm is only to take up slack and that can be Inside of a cogset cage. I'm surprised they haven't done that. SRAM is the sort of company that would make major component changes.