Marvelous! The super-user's going to boot me! What a finely tuned response to the situation!

tech / sci.electronics.design / weapon inflection

SubjectAuthor
* weapon inflectionjlarkin
+* Re: weapon inflectionJan Panteltje
|+* Re: weapon inflectionRick C
||`* Re: weapon inflectionDavid Brown
|| +* Re: weapon inflectionRick C
|| |`* Re: weapon inflectionCarlos E.R.
|| | `* Re: weapon inflectionRick C
|| |  `* Re: weapon inflectionJan Panteltje
|| |   +* Re: weapon inflectionRick C
|| |   |+* Re: weapon inflectionCarlos E.R.
|| |   ||`* Re: weapon inflectionRick C
|| |   || `* Re: weapon inflectionCarlos E.R.
|| |   ||  `* Re: weapon inflectionRick C
|| |   ||   +* Re: weapon inflectionMartin Brown
|| |   ||   |+* Re: weapon inflectionRick C
|| |   ||   ||+* Re: weapon inflectionTom Gardner
|| |   ||   |||`* Re: weapon inflectionDavid Brown
|| |   ||   ||| +- Re: weapon inflectionTom Gardner
|| |   ||   ||| `- Re: weapon inflectionPhil Hobbs
|| |   ||   ||`- Re: weapon inflectionJan Panteltje
|| |   ||   |`- Re: weapon inflectionJan Panteltje
|| |   ||   +- Re: weapon inflectionCarlos E.R.
|| |   ||   `- Re: weapon inflectionJan Panteltje
|| |   |`* Re: weapon inflectionJan Panteltje
|| |   | +* Re: weapon inflectionRick C
|| |   | |`- Re: weapon inflectionJan Panteltje
|| |   | `* Re: weapon inflectionRick C
|| |   |  `- Re: weapon inflectionJan Panteltje
|| |   `- Re: weapon inflectionDon
|| `* Re: weapon inflectionbitrex
||  `- Re: weapon inflectionJohn Robertson
|`* Re: weapon inflectionjlarkin
| +* Re: weapon inflectionPhil Hobbs
| |+* Re: weapon inflectionjlarkin
| ||+* Re: weapon inflectionRick C
| ||+* Re: weapon inflectionJan Panteltje
| ||`- Re: weapon inflectionJan Panteltje
| |`- Re: weapon inflectionTom Gardner
| `* Re: weapon inflectionwhit3rd
|  `* Re: weapon inflectionJan Panteltje
|   `* Re: weapon inflectionTom Gardner
|    `* Re: weapon inflectionPhil Hobbs
|     `* Re: weapon inflectionTom Gardner
|      +- Re: weapon inflectionCarlos E.R.
|      `- Re: weapon inflectionDavid Brown
+* Re: weapon inflectionbitrex
|`* Re: weapon inflectionRick C
| +- Re: weapon inflectionbitrex
| +* Re: weapon inflectionbitrex
| |`* Re: weapon inflectionRick C
| | +* Re: weapon inflectionbitrex
| | |`* Re: weapon inflectionRick C
| | | `* Re: weapon inflectionbitrex
| | |  `- Re: weapon inflectionRick C
| | +* Re: weapon inflectionbitrex
| | |`- Re: weapon inflectionRick C
| | `- Re: weapon inflectionDavid Brown
| `* Re: weapon inflectionDavid Brown
|  `* Re: weapon inflectionRick C
|   `- Re: weapon inflectionDavid Brown
+* Re: weapon inflectionJohn Larkin
|`- Re: weapon inflectionGerhard Hoffmann
+* Re: weapon inflectionFred Bloggs
|`* Re: weapon inflectionMartin Brown
| `- Re: weapon inflectionFred Bloggs
`* Re: weapon inflectionSylvia Else
 `- Re: weapon inflectionRick C

Pages:1234
weapon inflection

<dv2v1h9fo1saplle2qt6qmhai5gakorp2q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91284&group=sci.electronics.design#91284

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: weapon inflection
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2022 07:30:59 -0800
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 15:30 UTC

These pics are amazing. They look like the Iraqui army retreating from
Kuwait. Miles of wreckage blocking the roads. Once you blow up a few
tanks and trucks, the rest wait patiently in line to be destroyed.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17816255/incredible-photos-russian-convoy-wreckage-bucha-kyiv/

Javelin type missiles and drones may be doing to tanks what airplanes
did to battleships. Cheap smart weapons destroy a thousand times
bigger and more expensive targets.

Imagine a smart drone with a Hellfire type missile firing straight
down onto a vehicle. Imagine being in a tank under a swarm of them.

In previous wars, the great majority of bullets and artillery shells
and bombs and depth charges and mines and even torpedoes missed their
targets.

--

I yam what I yam - Popeye

Re: weapon inflection

<svo3kb$6nr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91285&group=sci.electronics.design#91285

From: pNaonStp...@yahoo.com (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: weapon inflection
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2022 15:45:40 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.com/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 15:45 UTC

On a sunny day (Wed, 02 Mar 2022 07:30:59 -0800) it happened
jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in
<dv2v1h9fo1saplle2qt6qmhai5gakorp2q@4ax.com>:

>These pics are amazing. They look like the Iraqui army retreating from
>Kuwait. Miles of wreckage blocking the roads. Once you blow up a few
>tanks and trucks, the rest wait patiently in line to be destroyed.
>
>https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17816255/incredible-photos-russian-convoy-wreckage-bucha-kyiv/
>
>Javelin type missiles and drones may be doing to tanks what airplanes
>did to battleships. Cheap smart weapons destroy a thousand times
>bigger and more expensive targets.
>
>Imagine a smart drone with a Hellfire type missile firing straight
>down onto a vehicle. Imagine being in a tank under a swarm of them.
>
>In previous wars, the great majority of bullets and artillery shells
>and bombs and depth charges and mines and even torpedoes missed their
>targets.

Russia somehow hit a TV tower and building, possibly with a precision weapon.
When I worked at the TV station here we we informed we were primary targets in case of war.
EU has just decided to take all Russian TV channels of air.
I can still see their website and moment... satellite channel :-)

How about the big space lasers from Reagan?

Is all so simple now, I could hang a grenade under my drone and have it
fly by GPS to within 10 meters of any target within about 10 km.
Thing cost 200$, some extra chips... asm.
http://panteltje.com/panteltje/quadcopter/index.html
US Military Industrial Complex is a sucker for your purse.
Most of those big billion dollar aircraft carriers can be sunk by
a million dollar hyper-sonic missile.

Wonder if they will start shooting communication broadcast sats ...

Re: weapon inflection

<a5c9dd4c-5281-483c-880b-ec886dc18751n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91286&group=sci.electronics.design#91286

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 08:24:14 -0800 (PST)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Rick C)
 by: Rick C - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 16:24 UTC

On Wednesday, March 2, 2022 at 10:48:38 AM UTC-5, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> On a sunny day (Wed, 02 Mar 2022 07:30:59 -0800) it happened
> jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in
> <dv2v1h9fo1saplle2...@4ax.com>:
> >
> >These pics are amazing. They look like the Iraqui army retreating from
> >Kuwait. Miles of wreckage blocking the roads. Once you blow up a few
> >tanks and trucks, the rest wait patiently in line to be destroyed.
> >
> >https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17816255/incredible-photos-russian-convoy-wreckage-bucha-kyiv/
> >
> >Javelin type missiles and drones may be doing to tanks what airplanes
> >did to battleships. Cheap smart weapons destroy a thousand times
> >bigger and more expensive targets.
> >
> >Imagine a smart drone with a Hellfire type missile firing straight
> >down onto a vehicle. Imagine being in a tank under a swarm of them.
> >
> >In previous wars, the great majority of bullets and artillery shells
> >and bombs and depth charges and mines and even torpedoes missed their
> >targets.
> Russia somehow hit a TV tower and building, possibly with a precision weapon.
> When I worked at the TV station here we we informed we were primary targets in case of war.
> EU has just decided to take all Russian TV channels of air.
> I can still see their website and moment... satellite channel :-)

TV stations? Do they still have those? It would seem taking out a broadcast tower to be on the same level of significance as blowing up a flintlock factory.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: weapon inflection

<c06v1hd6mh4p6jairh01lf2cutpeg726be@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91287&group=sci.electronics.design#91287

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2022 08:24:46 -0800
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 16:24 UTC

On Wed, 02 Mar 2022 15:45:40 GMT, Jan Panteltje
<pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On a sunny day (Wed, 02 Mar 2022 07:30:59 -0800) it happened
>jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in
><dv2v1h9fo1saplle2qt6qmhai5gakorp2q@4ax.com>:
>

>>These pics are amazing. They look like the Iraqui army retreating from
>>Kuwait. Miles of wreckage blocking the roads. Once you blow up a few
>>tanks and trucks, the rest wait patiently in line to be destroyed.
>>
>>https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17816255/incredible-photos-russian-convoy-wreckage-bucha-kyiv/
>>
>>Javelin type missiles and drones may be doing to tanks what airplanes
>>did to battleships. Cheap smart weapons destroy a thousand times
>>bigger and more expensive targets.
>>
>>Imagine a smart drone with a Hellfire type missile firing straight
>>down onto a vehicle. Imagine being in a tank under a swarm of them.
>>
>>In previous wars, the great majority of bullets and artillery shells
>>and bombs and depth charges and mines and even torpedoes missed their
>>targets.
>
>Russia somehow hit a TV tower and building, possibly with a precision weapon.
>When I worked at the TV station here we we informed we were primary targets in case of war.
>EU has just decided to take all Russian TV channels of air.
>I can still see their website and moment... satellite channel :-)
>

>How about the big space lasers from Reagan?
>
>Is all so simple now, I could hang a grenade under my drone and have it
>fly by GPS to within 10 meters of any target within about 10 km.
>Thing cost 200$, some extra chips... asm.
> http://panteltje.com/panteltje/quadcopter/index.html

Scary. Simple drones can be jammed, but smart ones are
fire-and-forget.

We worked briefly with an un-named military organization that was
developing smart swarms of drones. Smart swarms, as talking to one
another.

>US Military Industrial Complex is a sucker for your purse.
>Most of those big billion dollar aircraft carriers can be sunk by
>a million dollar hyper-sonic missile.

Right. An F35 doesn't need a lot of runway, so we could have a large
number of small, cheap aircraft carriers, instead of a few giant
billion-dollar targets.

Manned fighter planes are probably on their way out too. Unmanned
kamakaze drones are a better idea.

Warfare could become our robots fighting their robots.

--

I yam what I yam - Popeye

Re: weapon inflection

<a120d2dc-7b16-73d0-cafc-651cfe08bb19@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91289&group=sci.electronics.design#91289

From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 11:32:54 -0500
 by: Phil Hobbs - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 16:32 UTC

Time for the Butlerian Jihad.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Re: weapon inflection

<svo6o8$2ja$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91290&group=sci.electronics.design#91290

From: david.br...@hesbynett.no (David Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 17:41:43 +0100
 by: David Brown - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 16:41 UTC

On 02/03/2022 17:24, Rick C wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 2, 2022 at 10:48:38 AM UTC-5, Jan Panteltje
> wrote:
>> On a sunny day (Wed, 02 Mar 2022 07:30:59 -0800) it happened
>> jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in
>> <dv2v1h9fo1saplle2...@4ax.com>:
>>>
>>> These pics are amazing. They look like the Iraqui army retreating
>>> from Kuwait. Miles of wreckage blocking the roads. Once you blow
>>> up a few tanks and trucks, the rest wait patiently in line to be
>>> destroyed.
>>>
>>> https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17816255/incredible-photos-russian-convoy-wreckage-bucha-kyiv/
>>>

>>> Javelin type missiles and drones may be doing to tanks what
>>> airplanes did to battleships. Cheap smart weapons destroy a
>>> thousand times bigger and more expensive targets.
>>>
>>> Imagine a smart drone with a Hellfire type missile firing
>>> straight down onto a vehicle. Imagine being in a tank under a
>>> swarm of them.
>>>
>>> In previous wars, the great majority of bullets and artillery
>>> shells and bombs and depth charges and mines and even torpedoes
>>> missed their targets.
>> Russia somehow hit a TV tower and building, possibly with a
>> precision weapon. When I worked at the TV station here we we
>> informed we were primary targets in case of war. EU has just
>> decided to take all Russian TV channels of air. I can still see
>> their website and moment... satellite channel :-)
>
> TV stations? Do they still have those? It would seem taking out a
> broadcast tower to be on the same level of significance as blowing up
> a flintlock factory.

I suspect that most TV in most of the world is broadcast from towers.
Sure, people also have streaming services of all kinds, but broadcast is
still the most efficient especially if you haven't got a big fast
internet infrastructure. Broadcast TV stations are often digital with
pretty good quality.

I have no idea what the internet infrastructure is like in Ukraine, nor
how much of its television is based on terrestrial broadcasting,
satellite, cable, or other technologies. But I would not dismiss TV
towers out of hand - the attack on the tower was targeted and
intentional, so I suspect the Russians knew more than you (or I) about
its importance.

Re: weapon inflection

<hiNTJ.49884$r6p7.18788@fx41.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91291&group=sci.electronics.design#91291

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 11:53:32 -0500
 by: bitrex - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 16:53 UTC

On 3/2/2022 10:30 AM, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:

> These pics are amazing. They look like the Iraqui army retreating from
> Kuwait. Miles of wreckage blocking the roads. Once you blow up a few
> tanks and trucks, the rest wait patiently in line to be destroyed.
>
> https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17816255/incredible-photos-russian-convoy-wreckage-bucha-kyiv/
>
> Javelin type missiles and drones may be doing to tanks what airplanes
> did to battleships. Cheap smart weapons destroy a thousand times
> bigger and more expensive targets.
>
> Imagine a smart drone with a Hellfire type missile firing straight
> down onto a vehicle. Imagine being in a tank under a swarm of them.
>
> In previous wars, the great majority of bullets and artillery shells
> and bombs and depth charges and mines and even torpedoes missed their
> targets.

China is probably watching with interest how this lil adventure goes for
Russia. Taiwan is a fortress compared to the Ukraine, and they have ~80
miles of open water to cross just to get a significant amount of troops
and supplies onto the island.

Re: weapon inflection

<50db125c-a02b-44ad-965b-eff6a353ab0dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91292&group=sci.electronics.design#91292

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 09:03:37 -0800 (PST)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Rick C)
 by: Rick C - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 17:03 UTC

On Wednesday, March 2, 2022 at 11:41:54 AM UTC-5, David Brown wrote:
> On 02/03/2022 17:24, Rick C wrote:
> > On Wednesday, March 2, 2022 at 10:48:38 AM UTC-5, Jan Panteltje
> > wrote:
> >> On a sunny day (Wed, 02 Mar 2022 07:30:59 -0800) it happened
> >> jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in

> >> Russia somehow hit a TV tower and building, possibly with a
> >> precision weapon. When I worked at the TV station here we we
> >> informed we were primary targets in case of war. EU has just
> >> decided to take all Russian TV channels of air. I can still see
> >> their website and moment... satellite channel :-)
> >
> > TV stations? Do they still have those? It would seem taking out a
> > broadcast tower to be on the same level of significance as blowing up
> > a flintlock factory.
> >
> I suspect that most TV in most of the world is broadcast from towers.
> Sure, people also have streaming services of all kinds, but broadcast is
> still the most efficient especially if you haven't got a big fast
> internet infrastructure. Broadcast TV stations are often digital with
> pretty good quality.
>
> I have no idea what the internet infrastructure is like in Ukraine, nor
> how much of its television is based on terrestrial broadcasting,
> satellite, cable, or other technologies. But I would not dismiss TV
> towers out of hand - the attack on the tower was targeted and
> intentional, so I suspect the Russians knew more than you (or I) about
> its importance.

They could blow up every TV tower in the world and the only impact to getting news would be the cell antenna lost because they were on the same tower.

People don't worry with TV or even radio these days. They use their cell phones more than any other medium.

If the Russians knew much, they would not be attacking Ukraine right now, so I put very little faith in their inherent knowledge of what impact a TV station has. Very likely that is part of a battle plan that was created by minds trained 40 years ago.

I recall seeing the TV towers in Richmond, VA, on the highest point which would have likely been outside the city when it was built. They stick up as an eyesore, a monument to a time when you wanted your single antenna to reach as many as possible. Now, "broadcast" means to put your video on the Internet with users connected via cable or the many, many, smaller antenna for cell phones.

I remember Arab Spring when the government focused on controlling the Internet. In Ukraine, that can't be done, because they haven't taken over the country yet. In fact, they've taken very little of it. Not a six day war.

--

Rick C.

+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: weapon inflection

<pGNTJ.29032$aT3.26603@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91293&group=sci.electronics.design#91293

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 12:19:16 -0500
 by: bitrex - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 17:19 UTC

On 3/2/2022 11:41 AM, David Brown wrote:
> On 02/03/2022 17:24, Rick C wrote:
>> On Wednesday, March 2, 2022 at 10:48:38 AM UTC-5, Jan Panteltje
>> wrote:
>>> On a sunny day (Wed, 02 Mar 2022 07:30:59 -0800) it happened
>>> jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in

>>> Russia somehow hit a TV tower and building, possibly with a
>>> precision weapon. When I worked at the TV station here we we
>>> informed we were primary targets in case of war. EU has just
>>> decided to take all Russian TV channels of air. I can still see
>>> their website and moment... satellite channel :-)
>>
>> TV stations? Do they still have those? It would seem taking out a
>> broadcast tower to be on the same level of significance as blowing up
>> a flintlock factory.
>>

> I suspect that most TV in most of the world is broadcast from towers.
> Sure, people also have streaming services of all kinds, but broadcast is
> still the most efficient especially if you haven't got a big fast
> internet infrastructure. Broadcast TV stations are often digital with
> pretty good quality.
>
> I have no idea what the internet infrastructure is like in Ukraine, nor
> how much of its television is based on terrestrial broadcasting,
> satellite, cable, or other technologies. But I would not dismiss TV
> towers out of hand - the attack on the tower was targeted and
> intentional, so I suspect the Russians knew more than you (or I) about
> its importance.

Speaking of the media, coverage of a war in the US has never been worse;
most of the major media outlets and papers in the US closed most of
their foreign bureaus ages ago. The cable news channels don't have many
reporters anymore in favor of doing color commentary 22 hours a day.

IDK how many US-media people are actually on the ground in Ukraine it's
probably like five. everyone else just scratches their heads over what
gets piped in from the AP and Reuters.

The New York Times has a couple there I think they're old-fashioned that
way.

CNN has like one thread of "current news" where they repost stuff from
Twitter and then a ton of "Analysis" and "Opinion" articles and
"Explained: What is Ukraine"-type articles.

Watching CNN or Fox or MSNBC etc. attempting to find out some novel
information is watching three-day-old fish.

Re: weapon inflection

<p4bv1h94kdeenn91q0u0uc93v3to4a8mdp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91295&group=sci.electronics.design#91295

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2022 09:49:20 -0800
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 17:49 UTC

On Wed, 2 Mar 2022 11:32:54 -0500, Phil Hobbs

>jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>> On Wed, 02 Mar 2022 15:45:40 GMT, Jan Panteltje
>> <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On a sunny day (Wed, 02 Mar 2022 07:30:59 -0800) it happened
>>> jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in

>>> Russia somehow hit a TV tower and building, possibly with a precision weapon.
>>> When I worked at the TV station here we we informed we were primary targets in case of war.
>>> EU has just decided to take all Russian TV channels of air.
>>> I can still see their website and moment... satellite channel :-)
>>>

>>> How about the big space lasers from Reagan?
>>>
>>> Is all so simple now, I could hang a grenade under my drone and have it
>>> fly by GPS to within 10 meters of any target within about 10 km.
>>> Thing cost 200$, some extra chips... asm.
>>> http://panteltje.com/panteltje/quadcopter/index.html
>>
>> Scary. Simple drones can be jammed, but smart ones are
>> fire-and-forget.
>>
>> We worked briefly with an un-named military organization that was
>> developing smart swarms of drones. Smart swarms, as talking to one
>> another.
>>
>>> US Military Industrial Complex is a sucker for your purse.
>>> Most of those big billion dollar aircraft carriers can be sunk by
>>> a million dollar hyper-sonic missile.
>>
>> Right. An F35 doesn't need a lot of runway, so we could have a large
>> number of small, cheap aircraft carriers, instead of a few giant
>> billion-dollar targets.
>>
>> Manned fighter planes are probably on their way out too. Unmanned
>> kamakaze drones are a better idea.
>>
>> Warfare could become our robots fighting their robots.
>>

>Time for the Butlerian Jihad.
>
>Cheers
>
>Phil Hobbs

Imagine a standard controller unit for a smart swarm suicide drone.

It needs good wide-angle and narrow hi-res cameras.

It needs accels and gyros

It needs a fast local interface and RF connectivity

It needs a good OS

It needs a lot of CPU power but low power consumption

It needs to be small and light and rugged and cheap.

Raytheon could develop that, given 10 years and a few billion dollars.

--

I yam what I yam - Popeye

Re: weapon inflection

<2facab13-5685-40c9-92bb-049f2282d0c5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91296&group=sci.electronics.design#91296

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 09:54:19 -0800 (PST)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Rick C)
 by: Rick C - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 17:54 UTC

On Wednesday, March 2, 2022 at 11:53:44 AM UTC-5, bitrex wrote:
> On 3/2/2022 10:30 AM, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> >
> > These pics are amazing. They look like the Iraqui army retreating from
> > Kuwait. Miles of wreckage blocking the roads. Once you blow up a few
> > tanks and trucks, the rest wait patiently in line to be destroyed.
> >
> > https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17816255/incredible-photos-russian-convoy-wreckage-bucha-kyiv/
> >
> > Javelin type missiles and drones may be doing to tanks what airplanes
> > did to battleships. Cheap smart weapons destroy a thousand times
> > bigger and more expensive targets.
> >
> > Imagine a smart drone with a Hellfire type missile firing straight
> > down onto a vehicle. Imagine being in a tank under a swarm of them.
> >
> > In previous wars, the great majority of bullets and artillery shells
> > and bombs and depth charges and mines and even torpedoes missed their
> > targets.
> >

> China is probably watching with interest how this lil adventure goes for
> Russia. Taiwan is a fortress compared to the Ukraine, and they have ~80
> miles of open water to cross just to get a significant amount of troops
> and supplies onto the island.

And China can take Taiwan without landing a single soldier. It's an island and can be blockaded without landing or even firing a shot. The Chinese can also choose to fire shots at any targets, either from the sea or from the mainland. In other words, other than political fallout, taking Taiwan would be easy for the Chinese. The Chinese aren't watching the Ukrainian situation from a military point of view. It's much more of a political perspective.

--

Rick C.

-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: weapon inflection

<265b1290-b745-43b5-ac0f-8e47a167f611n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91297&group=sci.electronics.design#91297

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 10:03:42 -0800 (PST)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Rick C)
 by: Rick C - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 18:03 UTC

On Wednesday, March 2, 2022 at 12:49:34 PM UTC-5, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:

> It needs to be small and light and rugged and cheap.

"Small and light and rugged and cheap" don't go together.

You could do a lot of damage with that on personnel, like cluster bombs without being "rugged". What is the point of making a Kamikaze drone rugged?

I'm wondering if the Russians are actually using thermobaric weapons. I can't see the advantage in it for them compared to the fallout.

I also don't understand, if the Ukrainians have missiles that can take out tanks, why they aren't being used on the 40 mile long column of troops that are stuck on the roads? I'm thinking a lot of the stories we are seeing are exaggerated. The one part that makes sense is that the logistics aren't up to snuff and they are running out of fuel and food. That I believe.

--

Rick C.

-+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: weapon inflection

<svofc0$bds$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91299&group=sci.electronics.design#91299

From: spamj...@blueyonder.co.uk (Tom Gardner)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 19:08:48 +0000
 by: Tom Gardner - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 19:08 UTC

On 02/03/22 16:32, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>> On Wed, 02 Mar 2022 15:45:40 GMT, Jan Panteltje
>> <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On a sunny day (Wed, 02 Mar 2022 07:30:59 -0800) it happened
>>> jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in

>>> Russia somehow hit a TV tower and building, possibly with a precision weapon.
>>> When I worked at the TV station here we we informed we were primary targets
>>> in case of war.
>>> EU has just decided to take all Russian TV channels of air.
>>> I can still see their website and moment... satellite channel :-)
>>>

>>> How about the big space lasers from Reagan?
>>>
>>> Is all so simple now, I could hang a grenade under my drone and have it
>>> fly by GPS to within 10 meters of any target within about 10 km.
>>> Thing cost 200$, some extra chips... asm.
>>> http://panteltje.com/panteltje/quadcopter/index.html
>>
>> Scary. Simple drones can be jammed, but smart ones are
>> fire-and-forget.
>>
>> We worked briefly with an un-named military organization that was
>> developing smart swarms of drones. Smart swarms, as talking to one
>> another.
>>
>>> US Military Industrial Complex is a sucker for your purse.
>>> Most of those big billion dollar aircraft carriers can be sunk by
>>> a million dollar hyper-sonic missile.
>>
>> Right. An F35 doesn't need a lot of runway, so we could have a large
>> number of small, cheap aircraft carriers, instead of a few giant
>> billion-dollar targets.
>>
>> Manned fighter planes are probably on their way out too. Unmanned
>> kamakaze drones are a better idea.
>>
>> Warfare could become our robots fighting their robots.
>>

> Time for the Butlerian Jihad.
>
> Cheers

Maybe Cordwainer Smith's manshonyagger are the future.

"Cheers" would be inappropriate ;)

Re: weapon inflection

<svofvt$kdc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91301&group=sci.electronics.design#91301

From: pNaonStp...@yahoo.com (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2022 19:16:40 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.com/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 19:16 UTC

On a sunny day (Wed, 02 Mar 2022 09:49:20 -0800) it happened
jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in
<p4bv1h94kdeenn91q0u0uc93v3to4a8mdp@4ax.com>:

>Imagine a standard controller unit for a smart swarm suicide drone.
>
>It needs good wide-angle and narrow hi-res cameras.
>
>It needs accels and gyros
>
>It needs a fast local interface and RF connectivity
>
>It needs a good OS
>
>It needs a lot of CPU power but low power consumption
>
>It needs to be small and light and rugged and cheap.
>
>Raytheon could develop that, given 10 years and a few billion dollars.

I already did the heat seeking software in PIC asm for a norml small IR camera.
Demo is on youtube, did not release source for that..
one other reason I am now playing with that FLIR camera,
the software is quite advanced now, just got remote control via LAN working.
OS can be a big hinder, libraries get screwed up by people who clearly never coded,
big blob of bloat.
Much can be done with a simple micro at a fraction of the power and weight,
You do not need an OS if the application is the only thing running,
not even a filesystem, in some project here I just use sectors on an SDcard
one record per sector...
My raspi has the acceleration, giro, air pressure, GPS, Glonass, proximity alarms. temperature, fire solutions,
AIS, airplane tracking .. etc etc..
http://panteltje.com/pub/xgpspc_5_planes.gif
http://panteltje.com/pub/boats_and_planes.gif

Couple of RTL_SDR USB sticks to receive AIS and planes data.
In such a multitasking case Linux is nice.
Less than 5 Watt or something?

China has published many videos with drones like mine flying in formation.

Maybe Elon will one the moon before NASA's big thing they are building :-)

Re: weapon inflection

<svog6p$m9i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91302&group=sci.electronics.design#91302

From: pNaonStp...@yahoo.com (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2022 19:20:15 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.com/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 19:20 UTC

On a sunny day (Wed, 02 Mar 2022 13:30:37 -0500) it happened Joe Gwinn
<joegwinn@comcast.net> wrote in <v2dv1hpmla51v1hamrnkis5rjiufsfmt3a@4ax.com>:

>On Wed, 02 Mar 2022 09:49:20 -0800, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 2 Mar 2022 11:32:54 -0500, Phil Hobbs
>><pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote:

>>>Time for the Butlerian Jihad.
>>>
>>>Cheers
>>>
>>>Phil Hobbs
>>
>>Imagine a standard controller unit for a smart swarm suicide drone.
>>
>>It needs good wide-angle and narrow hi-res cameras.
>>
>>It needs accels and gyros
>>
>>It needs a fast local interface and RF connectivity
>>
>>It needs a good OS
>>
>>It needs a lot of CPU power but low power consumption
>>
>>It needs to be small and light and rugged and cheap.
>>
>>Raytheon could develop that, given 10 years and a few billion dollars.
>
>Storm Breaker is already here:
>
>.<https://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/small-diameter-bomb-ii-sdb-ii/>
>
>Cannot be little drones to handle modern big tanks.
>

>Joe Gwinn

Bad politician war makers like biden do not sit in big tanks...
The ashole provokes war in Europe just like his predecessor Bil Clignon.

Re: weapon inflection

<RzPTJ.65448$GjY3.32750@fx01.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91303&group=sci.electronics.design#91303

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 14:28:48 -0500
 by: bitrex - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 19:28 UTC

On 3/2/2022 12:54 PM, Rick C wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 2, 2022 at 11:53:44 AM UTC-5, bitrex wrote:
>> On 3/2/2022 10:30 AM, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>>>
>>> These pics are amazing. They look like the Iraqui army retreating from
>>> Kuwait. Miles of wreckage blocking the roads. Once you blow up a few
>>> tanks and trucks, the rest wait patiently in line to be destroyed.
>>>
>>> https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17816255/incredible-photos-russian-convoy-wreckage-bucha-kyiv/
>>>
>>> Javelin type missiles and drones may be doing to tanks what airplanes
>>> did to battleships. Cheap smart weapons destroy a thousand times
>>> bigger and more expensive targets.
>>>
>>> Imagine a smart drone with a Hellfire type missile firing straight
>>> down onto a vehicle. Imagine being in a tank under a swarm of them.
>>>
>>> In previous wars, the great majority of bullets and artillery shells
>>> and bombs and depth charges and mines and even torpedoes missed their
>>> targets.
>>>

>> China is probably watching with interest how this lil adventure goes for
>> Russia. Taiwan is a fortress compared to the Ukraine, and they have ~80
>> miles of open water to cross just to get a significant amount of troops
>> and supplies onto the island.
>
> And China can take Taiwan without landing a single soldier. It's an island and can be blockaded without landing or even firing a shot. The Chinese can also choose to fire shots at any targets, either from the sea or from the mainland. In other words, other than political fallout, taking Taiwan would be easy for the Chinese. The Chinese aren't watching the Ukrainian situation from a military point of view. It's much more of a political perspective.

No, the political consequences of a siege that drags on and on aren't
tenable. If they thought they could take it without a shot they would've
done it, already.

Re: weapon inflection

<kfKdnQ0dfqG_VYL_nZ2dnUU7-VnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91305&group=sci.electronics.design#91305

Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 11:40:17 -0800
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: spa...@flippers.com (John Robertson)
 by: John Robertson - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 19:40 UTC

On 2022/03/02 9:19 a.m., bitrex wrote:
> On 3/2/2022 11:41 AM, David Brown wrote:
>> On 02/03/2022 17:24, Rick C wrote:

>>> TV stations?  Do they still have those?  It would seem taking out a
>>> broadcast tower to be on the same level of significance as blowing up
>>> a flintlock factory.
>>>

>> I suspect that most TV in most of the world is broadcast from towers.
>> Sure, people also have streaming services of all kinds, but broadcast is
>> still the most efficient especially if you haven't got a big fast
>> internet infrastructure.  Broadcast TV stations are often digital with
>> pretty good quality.
>>
>> I have no idea what the internet infrastructure is like in Ukraine, nor
>> how much of its television is based on terrestrial broadcasting,
>> satellite, cable, or other technologies.  But I would not dismiss TV
>> towers out of hand - the attack on the tower was targeted and
>> intentional, so I suspect the Russians knew more than you (or I) about
>> its importance.
>

> Speaking of the media, coverage of a war in the US has never been worse;
> most of the major media outlets and papers in the US closed most of
> their foreign bureaus ages ago. The cable news channels don't have many
> reporters anymore in favor of doing color commentary 22 hours a day.
>
> IDK how many US-media people are actually on the ground in Ukraine it's
> probably like five. everyone else just scratches their heads over what
> gets piped in from the AP and Reuters.
>
> The New York Times has a couple there I think they're old-fashioned that
> way.
>
> CNN has like one thread of "current news" where they repost stuff from
> Twitter and then a ton of "Analysis" and "Opinion" articles and
> "Explained: What is Ukraine"-type articles.
>
> Watching CNN or Fox or MSNBC etc. attempting to find out some novel
> information is watching three-day-old fish.
CBC (Canada) will give you another perspective...
https://www.cbc.ca/
John :-#)#

Re: weapon inflection

<aNPTJ.25947$jxu4.3313@fx02.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91306&group=sci.electronics.design#91306

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 14:43:02 -0500
 by: bitrex - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 19:43 UTC

On 3/2/2022 12:54 PM, Rick C wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 2, 2022 at 11:53:44 AM UTC-5, bitrex wrote:
>> On 3/2/2022 10:30 AM, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>>>
>>> These pics are amazing. They look like the Iraqui army retreating from
>>> Kuwait. Miles of wreckage blocking the roads. Once you blow up a few
>>> tanks and trucks, the rest wait patiently in line to be destroyed.
>>>
>>> https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17816255/incredible-photos-russian-convoy-wreckage-bucha-kyiv/
>>>
>>> Javelin type missiles and drones may be doing to tanks what airplanes
>>> did to battleships. Cheap smart weapons destroy a thousand times
>>> bigger and more expensive targets.
>>>
>>> Imagine a smart drone with a Hellfire type missile firing straight
>>> down onto a vehicle. Imagine being in a tank under a swarm of them.
>>>
>>> In previous wars, the great majority of bullets and artillery shells
>>> and bombs and depth charges and mines and even torpedoes missed their
>>> targets.
>>>

>> China is probably watching with interest how this lil adventure goes for
>> Russia. Taiwan is a fortress compared to the Ukraine, and they have ~80
>> miles of open water to cross just to get a significant amount of troops
>> and supplies onto the island.
>
> And China can take Taiwan without landing a single soldier. It's an island and can be blockaded without landing or even firing a shot. The Chinese can also choose to fire shots at any targets, either from the sea or from the mainland. In other words, other than political fallout, taking Taiwan would be easy for the Chinese. The Chinese aren't watching the Ukrainian situation from a military point of view. It's much more of a political perspective.

Only one way for it to go right and a hundred ways for it to go wrong,
where you end up in a shooting-war anyway except you've lost surprise
and your adversaries have had time to get their act together.

Don't see it.

Re: weapon inflection

<svollq$4o6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91309&group=sci.electronics.design#91309

From: david.br...@hesbynett.no (David Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 21:56:25 +0100
 by: David Brown - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 20:56 UTC

On 02/03/2022 19:03, Rick C wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 2, 2022 at 12:49:34 PM UTC-5,
> jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>>
>> It needs to be small and light and rugged and cheap.
>
> "Small and light and rugged and cheap" don't go together.

Nor does "Raytheon and cheap" :-)

> You could do a lot of damage with that on personnel, like cluster
> bombs without being "rugged". What is the point of making a Kamikaze
> drone rugged?
>
> I'm wondering if the Russians are actually using thermobaric weapons.
> I can't see the advantage in it for them compared to the fallout.

Of course they are using them. They are not banned by any conventions
(though there have been calls to do so), and give you a lot of
devastation for your money. And Russia is doing so badly in comparison
to their plans and expectations, that they can't afford to play nice.

Russia has a policy of denying that they are targeting civilians, and
claiming that Ukraine is blowing up their own civilian buildings in
false flag attacks. Given that, what do they have to lose by using
nastier bombs? The people that believe Putin's propaganda (basically, a
large chunk of the Russian population) will just think the Ukrainians
are even worse - and the rest of the world already thinks so badly of
Russia that thermobaric weapons (and also cluster bombs, which are
outlawed in most countries - but neither Russia nor Ukraine signed that
treaty) won't make opinions much worse.

> I also don't understand, if the Ukrainians have missiles that can
> take out tanks, why they aren't being used on the 40 mile long column
> of troops that are stuck on the roads? I'm thinking a lot of the
> stories we are seeing are exaggerated. The one part that makes sense
> is that the logistics aren't up to snuff and they are running out of
> fuel and food. That I believe.

The Ukrainians /are/ hitting the column. But you can't do that
effectively with short range hand-held anti-tank weapons - the numbers
are too big, and the distances too far. They are doing some damage
using drones, but they also need to keep things in reserve for when they
are /really/ needed. As long as the Russians can't do better than a
slow crawl, they still have other options.

Re: weapon inflection

<svolqf$4o6$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91310&group=sci.electronics.design#91310

From: david.br...@hesbynett.no (David Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 21:58:55 +0100
 by: David Brown - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 20:58 UTC

On 02/03/2022 18:54, Rick C wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 2, 2022 at 11:53:44 AM UTC-5, bitrex wrote:
>> On 3/2/2022 10:30 AM, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>>>
>>> These pics are amazing. They look like the Iraqui army retreating
>>> from Kuwait. Miles of wreckage blocking the roads. Once you blow
>>> up a few tanks and trucks, the rest wait patiently in line to be
>>> destroyed.
>>>
>>> https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17816255/incredible-photos-russian-convoy-wreckage-bucha-kyiv/
>>>

>>> Javelin type missiles and drones may be doing to tanks what
>>> airplanes did to battleships. Cheap smart weapons destroy a
>>> thousand times bigger and more expensive targets.
>>>
>>> Imagine a smart drone with a Hellfire type missile firing
>>> straight down onto a vehicle. Imagine being in a tank under a
>>> swarm of them.
>>>
>>> In previous wars, the great majority of bullets and artillery
>>> shells and bombs and depth charges and mines and even torpedoes
>>> missed their targets.
>>>

>> China is probably watching with interest how this lil adventure
>> goes for Russia. Taiwan is a fortress compared to the Ukraine, and
>> they have ~80 miles of open water to cross just to get a
>> significant amount of troops and supplies onto the island.
>
> And China can take Taiwan without landing a single soldier. It's an
> island and can be blockaded without landing or even firing a shot.
> The Chinese can also choose to fire shots at any targets, either from
> the sea or from the mainland. In other words, other than political
> fallout, taking Taiwan would be easy for the Chinese. The Chinese
> aren't watching the Ukrainian situation from a military point of
> view. It's much more of a political perspective.

China could destroy Taiwan from a distance. But they have no interest
in destroying it - they want to integrate it into mainland China. That
is vastly more difficult.

Re: weapon inflection

<e846853a-e283-4896-b964-023d7cecc763n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91312&group=sci.electronics.design#91312

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 13:15:18 -0800 (PST)
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 21:15 UTC

On Wednesday, March 2, 2022 at 8:25:00 AM UTC-8, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:

> Warfare could become our robots fighting their robots.

It's not clear that smart-but-disposable is the winning combination; a
well-instrumented artillery battery can account for a lot of mobile armor,
without requiring the metal tonnage and fuel supply. Ukraine's best defense
might be their non-intercontinental ballistic weaponry. It's not high tech, and it
is completely affordable. It also isn't offensive to distant cities in other nations.

Re: weapon inflection

<a148f257-3650-4959-8b25-56aee96dd55bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91313&group=sci.electronics.design#91313

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 13:15:30 -0800 (PST)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Rick C)
 by: Rick C - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 21:15 UTC

On Wednesday, March 2, 2022 at 2:43:13 PM UTC-5, bitrex wrote:
> On 3/2/2022 12:54 PM, Rick C wrote:

> >> China is probably watching with interest how this lil adventure goes for
> >> Russia. Taiwan is a fortress compared to the Ukraine, and they have ~80
> >> miles of open water to cross just to get a significant amount of troops
> >> and supplies onto the island.
> >
> > And China can take Taiwan without landing a single soldier. It's an island and can be blockaded without landing or even firing a shot. The Chinese can also choose to fire shots at any targets, either from the sea or from the mainland. In other words, other than political fallout, taking Taiwan would be easy for the Chinese. The Chinese aren't watching the Ukrainian situation from a military point of view. It's much more of a political perspective.
> >
> Only one way for it to go right and a hundred ways for it to go wrong,
> where you end up in a shooting-war anyway except you've lost surprise
> and your adversaries have had time to get their act together.
>
> Don't see it.

Yes, you don't see it. There's nothing the US can do to prevent China from taking control of Taiwan. Literally, nothing. The only thing stopping them is the political repercussions.

Just as in Ukraine, the US is not going to wage war on China. With China or Russia, the risk of nuclear escalation is just too high.

Taiwan will fight back, just as Ukraine has, but there won't be a need for ground troops. That battle would be like the battle of Brittan, all in the air. The difference is China is very much better prepared for it and won't do something stupid like attack Russia. They will just lob rockets and artillery from ships and drop bombs from planes.

I don't know if they care about preserving Taiwan's technology industry. China doesn't want Taiwanese chips, they want to reunite their country.

--

Rick C.

+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Re: weapon inflection

<70f98bdb-60a7-4209-b7d3-04e91036b12an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91314&group=sci.electronics.design#91314

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 13:18:08 -0800 (PST)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Rick C)
 by: Rick C - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 21:18 UTC

On Wednesday, March 2, 2022 at 2:19:36 PM UTC-5, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> On a sunny day (Wed, 02 Mar 2022 09:49:20 -0800) it happened
> jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in
> <p4bv1h94kdeenn91q...@4ax.com>:
> >Imagine a standard controller unit for a smart swarm suicide drone.
> >
> >It needs good wide-angle and narrow hi-res cameras.
> >
> >It needs accels and gyros
> >
> >It needs a fast local interface and RF connectivity
> >
> >It needs a good OS
> >
> >It needs a lot of CPU power but low power consumption
> >
> >It needs to be small and light and rugged and cheap.
> >
> >Raytheon could develop that, given 10 years and a few billion dollars.
> I already did the heat seeking software in PIC asm for a norml small IR camera.
> Demo is on youtube, did not release source for that..
> one other reason I am now playing with that FLIR camera,
> the software is quite advanced now, just got remote control via LAN working.
> OS can be a big hinder, libraries get screwed up by people who clearly never coded,
> big blob of bloat.
> Much can be done with a simple micro at a fraction of the power and weight,
> You do not need an OS if the application is the only thing running,
> not even a filesystem, in some project here I just use sectors on an SDcard
> one record per sector...
> My raspi has the acceleration, giro, air pressure, GPS, Glonass, proximity alarms. temperature, fire solutions,
> AIS, airplane tracking .. etc etc..
> http://panteltje.com/pub/xgpspc_5_planes.gif
> http://panteltje.com/pub/boats_and_planes.gif
>
> Couple of RTL_SDR USB sticks to receive AIS and planes data.
> In such a multitasking case Linux is nice.
> Less than 5 Watt or something?
>
> China has published many videos with drones like mine flying in formation..

Flying in formation would just make them easier to take out with a few shot gun blasts or one air burst bomb. I would expect them to fly by very diverse paths so they all arrive at the same time, but from different directions so the target can't even be identified until the last few minutes.

--

Rick C.

++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Re: weapon inflection

<88ov1h1vmgapavk8i5cjqe2e5994ag2bmo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91315&group=sci.electronics.design#91315

From: jlar...@highland_atwork_technology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2022 13:27:00 -0800
 by: John Larkin - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 21:27 UTC

On Wed, 2 Mar 2022 21:56:25 +0100, David Brown
<david.brown@hesbynett.no> wrote:

>On 02/03/2022 19:03, Rick C wrote:
>> On Wednesday, March 2, 2022 at 12:49:34 PM UTC-5,
>> jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>>>
>>> It needs to be small and light and rugged and cheap.
>>
>> "Small and light and rugged and cheap" don't go together.
>>

>Nor does "Raytheon and cheap" :-)

It's a cell phone.

--

If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end with doubts,
but if he will be content to begin with doubts he shall end in certainties.

Re: weapon inflection

<ms35fi-nur.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91316&group=sci.electronics.design#91316

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 22:24:06 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 21:24 UTC

On 2022-03-02 18:03, Rick C wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 2, 2022 at 11:41:54 AM UTC-5, David Brown wrote:
>> On 02/03/2022 17:24, Rick C wrote:

>>> TV stations? Do they still have those? It would seem taking out a
>>> broadcast tower to be on the same level of significance as blowing up
>>> a flintlock factory.
>>>
>> I suspect that most TV in most of the world is broadcast from towers.
>> Sure, people also have streaming services of all kinds, but broadcast is
>> still the most efficient especially if you haven't got a big fast
>> internet infrastructure. Broadcast TV stations are often digital with
>> pretty good quality.
>>
>> I have no idea what the internet infrastructure is like in Ukraine, nor
>> how much of its television is based on terrestrial broadcasting,
>> satellite, cable, or other technologies. But I would not dismiss TV
>> towers out of hand - the attack on the tower was targeted and
>> intentional, so I suspect the Russians knew more than you (or I) about
>> its importance.
>
> They could blow up every TV tower in the world and the only impact to getting news would be the cell antenna lost because they were on the same tower.
>
> People don't worry with TV or even radio these days. They use their cell phones more than any other medium.

You are mistaken. I'm watching TV, over the air, everyday; and right now
I'm listening to the radio. Actual radio. And in my country, internet
coverage is very good. For instance, I have 300 Mbit fibre, because I
refused to have 1 gigabit.

--
Cheers, Carlos.