Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 11:46:32 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Ridley
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 18:46 UTC

I don't have the wiring installed yet since the 3-way is still in New Jersey because they are so efficient. Only 2 weeks later it as moved about 30 miles.

But without the wiring and everything else including the battery and battery mount, the bike weights in as a 60 cm at 15.8 lbs (7.2 kg).

I have about $800 into. But I had a set of 40 mm deep ProLite wheels laying around that if I bought new would be $400. If you could find this type anymore. These tubeless aluminum wheels are only 100 grams heavier than carbon wheels (or lighter than most types.) Let's Remember that several manufacturers of light carbon wheels are recalling them and you wouldn't have that problem with these aluminum wheels. I suppose that when I inflate the 28 mm tubeless tires I will have to put in about 100 grams of sealant which isn't rolling weight.

I had to purchase a Shimano Freehub for these wheels so that I could mount one of the superlight Microshift cassettes. Which reminds me - that weight doesn't include a new Ultegra Chain. In any case this will be as light or lighter than my Look KG585. And it will be electric.

On one of the bike groups they said the most ridiculous thing possible. They said that the Dura Ace was lighter than the Ultegra hand levers. The ONLY way that this could be possible is if they replaced the steel bar clamp bolt with aluminum But the steel allows you to use an Allen bolt while the aluminum would force you to use a Torx (25 or 27, I forget) which most people don't have. And the weight difference would only be one or two grams.

The water bottle will add more weight than everything needed to finish the bike so lets call the finished weight 18 lbs or a little lighter than the top end bikes selling for $8,000 or more. And this is riding weight while most of those others are size 52 cm.

Initially the wiring will be a pain in the butt but you only do it once. And it would be simple if I had ordered the correct integrated bar.

Re: Ridley

<uco33k$2rfe8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90774&group=rec.bicycles.tech#90774

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Ridley
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 13:51:33 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 18:51 UTC

On 8/30/2023 1:46 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> I don't have the wiring installed yet since the 3-way is still in New Jersey because they are so efficient. Only 2 weeks later it as moved about 30 miles.
>
> But without the wiring and everything else including the battery and battery mount, the bike weights in as a 60 cm at 15.8 lbs (7.2 kg).
>
> I have about $800 into. But I had a set of 40 mm deep ProLite wheels laying around that if I bought new would be $400. If you could find this type anymore. These tubeless aluminum wheels are only 100 grams heavier than carbon wheels (or lighter than most types.) Let's Remember that several manufacturers of light carbon wheels are recalling them and you wouldn't have that problem with these aluminum wheels. I suppose that when I inflate the 28 mm tubeless tires I will have to put in about 100 grams of sealant which isn't rolling weight.
>
> I had to purchase a Shimano Freehub for these wheels so that I could mount one of the superlight Microshift cassettes. Which reminds me - that weight doesn't include a new Ultegra Chain. In any case this will be as light or lighter than my Look KG585. And it will be electric.
>
> On one of the bike groups they said the most ridiculous thing possible. They said that the Dura Ace was lighter than the Ultegra hand levers. The ONLY way that this could be possible is if they replaced the steel bar clamp bolt with aluminum But the steel allows you to use an Allen bolt while the aluminum would force you to use a Torx (25 or 27, I forget) which most people don't have. And the weight difference would only be one or two grams.
>
> The water bottle will add more weight than everything needed to finish the bike so lets call the finished weight 18 lbs or a little lighter than the top end bikes selling for $8,000 or more. And this is riding weight while most of those others are size 52 cm.
>
> Initially the wiring will be a pain in the butt but you only do it once. And it would be simple if I had ordered the correct integrated bar.

> "100 grams of sealant which isn't rolling weight."

Does it levitate inside the tire or is it 100g of sealant
mixed with 100g of antimatter sealant?

--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org

Re: Ridley

<0b2b58e0-9b48-44bc-9cc3-6fa7e592b82bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90775&group=rec.bicycles.tech#90775

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 11:55:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 18:55 UTC

On Wednesday, August 30, 2023 at 2:51:36 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
> On 8/30/2023 1:46 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > I don't have the wiring installed yet since the 3-way is still in New Jersey because they are so efficient. Only 2 weeks later it as moved about 30 miles.
> >
> > But without the wiring and everything else including the battery and battery mount, the bike weights in as a 60 cm at 15.8 lbs (7.2 kg).
> >
> > I have about $800 into. But I had a set of 40 mm deep ProLite wheels laying around that if I bought new would be $400. If you could find this type anymore. These tubeless aluminum wheels are only 100 grams heavier than carbon wheels (or lighter than most types.) Let's Remember that several manufacturers of light carbon wheels are recalling them and you wouldn't have that problem with these aluminum wheels. I suppose that when I inflate the 28 mm tubeless tires I will have to put in about 100 grams of sealant which isn't rolling weight.
> >
> > I had to purchase a Shimano Freehub for these wheels so that I could mount one of the superlight Microshift cassettes. Which reminds me - that weight doesn't include a new Ultegra Chain. In any case this will be as light or lighter than my Look KG585. And it will be electric.
> >
> > On one of the bike groups they said the most ridiculous thing possible. They said that the Dura Ace was lighter than the Ultegra hand levers. The ONLY way that this could be possible is if they replaced the steel bar clamp bolt with aluminum But the steel allows you to use an Allen bolt while the aluminum would force you to use a Torx (25 or 27, I forget) which most people don't have. And the weight difference would only be one or two grams.
> >
> > The water bottle will add more weight than everything needed to finish the bike so lets call the finished weight 18 lbs or a little lighter than the top end bikes selling for $8,000 or more. And this is riding weight while most of those others are size 52 cm.
> >
> > Initially the wiring will be a pain in the butt but you only do it once.. And it would be simple if I had ordered the correct integrated bar.
>

> > "100 grams of sealant which isn't rolling weight."
>
> Does it levitate inside the tire or is it 100g of sealant
> mixed with 100g of antimatter sealant?

+1

LOL...weight added to the tire isn't rolling weight.....

Re: Ridley

<41a900e4-05f3-45f7-ad7e-783367daee54n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90776&group=rec.bicycles.tech#90776

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 12:02:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 19:02 UTC

On Wednesday, August 30, 2023 at 11:51:36 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
> On 8/30/2023 1:46 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > I don't have the wiring installed yet since the 3-way is still in New Jersey because they are so efficient. Only 2 weeks later it as moved about 30 miles.
> >
> > But without the wiring and everything else including the battery and battery mount, the bike weights in as a 60 cm at 15.8 lbs (7.2 kg).
> >
> > I have about $800 into. But I had a set of 40 mm deep ProLite wheels laying around that if I bought new would be $400. If you could find this type anymore. These tubeless aluminum wheels are only 100 grams heavier than carbon wheels (or lighter than most types.) Let's Remember that several manufacturers of light carbon wheels are recalling them and you wouldn't have that problem with these aluminum wheels. I suppose that when I inflate the 28 mm tubeless tires I will have to put in about 100 grams of sealant which isn't rolling weight.
> >
> > I had to purchase a Shimano Freehub for these wheels so that I could mount one of the superlight Microshift cassettes. Which reminds me - that weight doesn't include a new Ultegra Chain. In any case this will be as light or lighter than my Look KG585. And it will be electric.
> >
> > On one of the bike groups they said the most ridiculous thing possible. They said that the Dura Ace was lighter than the Ultegra hand levers. The ONLY way that this could be possible is if they replaced the steel bar clamp bolt with aluminum But the steel allows you to use an Allen bolt while the aluminum would force you to use a Torx (25 or 27, I forget) which most people don't have. And the weight difference would only be one or two grams.
> >
> > The water bottle will add more weight than everything needed to finish the bike so lets call the finished weight 18 lbs or a little lighter than the top end bikes selling for $8,000 or more. And this is riding weight while most of those others are size 52 cm.
> >
> > Initially the wiring will be a pain in the butt but you only do it once.. And it would be simple if I had ordered the correct integrated bar.
>

> > "100 grams of sealant which isn't rolling weight."
> Does it levitate inside the tire or is it 100g of sealant
> mixed with 100g of antimatter sealant?
>
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> a...@yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: Ridley

<3a997ad4-9fd2-46bf-9ae1-2a1f7d79ce9dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90777&group=rec.bicycles.tech#90777

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 12:05:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 19:05 UTC

On Wednesday, August 30, 2023 at 11:51:36 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
> On 8/30/2023 1:46 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > I don't have the wiring installed yet since the 3-way is still in New Jersey because they are so efficient. Only 2 weeks later it as moved about 30 miles.
> >
> > But without the wiring and everything else including the battery and battery mount, the bike weights in as a 60 cm at 15.8 lbs (7.2 kg).
> >
> > I have about $800 into. But I had a set of 40 mm deep ProLite wheels laying around that if I bought new would be $400. If you could find this type anymore. These tubeless aluminum wheels are only 100 grams heavier than carbon wheels (or lighter than most types.) Let's Remember that several manufacturers of light carbon wheels are recalling them and you wouldn't have that problem with these aluminum wheels. I suppose that when I inflate the 28 mm tubeless tires I will have to put in about 100 grams of sealant which isn't rolling weight.
> >
> > I had to purchase a Shimano Freehub for these wheels so that I could mount one of the superlight Microshift cassettes. Which reminds me - that weight doesn't include a new Ultegra Chain. In any case this will be as light or lighter than my Look KG585. And it will be electric.
> >
> > On one of the bike groups they said the most ridiculous thing possible. They said that the Dura Ace was lighter than the Ultegra hand levers. The ONLY way that this could be possible is if they replaced the steel bar clamp bolt with aluminum But the steel allows you to use an Allen bolt while the aluminum would force you to use a Torx (25 or 27, I forget) which most people don't have. And the weight difference would only be one or two grams.
> >
> > The water bottle will add more weight than everything needed to finish the bike so lets call the finished weight 18 lbs or a little lighter than the top end bikes selling for $8,000 or more. And this is riding weight while most of those others are size 52 cm.
> >
> > Initially the wiring will be a pain in the butt but you only do it once.. And it would be simple if I had ordered the correct integrated bar.
>

> > "100 grams of sealant which isn't rolling weight."
> Does it levitate inside the tire or is it 100g of sealant
> mixed with 100g of antimatter sealant?
>
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> a...@yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Since it slides around the inside of the tire, it is weight on the bike but not rolling resistance other than the small percentage of stick to the tire as it rolls around.
This is one of the things that bothered me about GCN saying that using latex or those super plastic tubes retained the same weight.

Re: Ridley

<6d038799-1dd8-4bb8-9a31-c7c625d04078n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90778&group=rec.bicycles.tech#90778

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 12:06:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 19:06 UTC

On Wednesday, August 30, 2023 at 11:55:07 AM UTC-7, funkma...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 30, 2023 at 2:51:36 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
> > On 8/30/2023 1:46 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > > I don't have the wiring installed yet since the 3-way is still in New Jersey because they are so efficient. Only 2 weeks later it as moved about 30 miles.
> > >
> > > But without the wiring and everything else including the battery and battery mount, the bike weights in as a 60 cm at 15.8 lbs (7.2 kg).
> > >
> > > I have about $800 into. But I had a set of 40 mm deep ProLite wheels laying around that if I bought new would be $400. If you could find this type anymore. These tubeless aluminum wheels are only 100 grams heavier than carbon wheels (or lighter than most types.) Let's Remember that several manufacturers of light carbon wheels are recalling them and you wouldn't have that problem with these aluminum wheels. I suppose that when I inflate the 28 mm tubeless tires I will have to put in about 100 grams of sealant which isn't rolling weight.
> > >
> > > I had to purchase a Shimano Freehub for these wheels so that I could mount one of the superlight Microshift cassettes. Which reminds me - that weight doesn't include a new Ultegra Chain. In any case this will be as light or lighter than my Look KG585. And it will be electric.
> > >
> > > On one of the bike groups they said the most ridiculous thing possible. They said that the Dura Ace was lighter than the Ultegra hand levers. The ONLY way that this could be possible is if they replaced the steel bar clamp bolt with aluminum But the steel allows you to use an Allen bolt while the aluminum would force you to use a Torx (25 or 27, I forget) which most people don't have. And the weight difference would only be one or two grams..
> > >
> > > The water bottle will add more weight than everything needed to finish the bike so lets call the finished weight 18 lbs or a little lighter than the top end bikes selling for $8,000 or more. And this is riding weight while most of those others are size 52 cm.
> > >
> > > Initially the wiring will be a pain in the butt but you only do it once. And it would be simple if I had ordered the correct integrated bar.
> >

> > > "100 grams of sealant which isn't rolling weight."
> >
> > Does it levitate inside the tire or is it 100g of sealant
> > mixed with 100g of antimatter sealant?
> >
> +1
>
> LOL...weight added to the tire isn't rolling weight.....
Will you stop showing that you're stupid? Some people would otherwise think that you're a real cyclist.

Re: Ridley

<uco4mu$2ro22$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90779&group=rec.bicycles.tech#90779

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 14:18:55 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 19:18 UTC

On 8/30/2023 2:06 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 30, 2023 at 11:55:07 AM UTC-7, funkma...@hotmail.com wrote:

>>> Does it levitate inside the tire or is it 100g of sealant
>>> mixed with 100g of antimatter sealant?
>>>
>> +1
>>
>> LOL...weight added to the tire isn't rolling weight.....
> Will you stop showing that you're stupid? Some people would otherwise think that you're a real cyclist.

In physics or in metaphysics?

--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: Ridley

<06e0d7e5-369e-4ce1-9dd2-f152f1d49632n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90780&group=rec.bicycles.tech#90780

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 12:19:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 19:19 UTC

On Wednesday, August 30, 2023 at 3:05:15 PM UTC-4, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 30, 2023 at 11:51:36 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
> > On 8/30/2023 1:46 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > > I don't have the wiring installed yet since the 3-way is still in New Jersey because they are so efficient. Only 2 weeks later it as moved about 30 miles.
> > >
> > > But without the wiring and everything else including the battery and battery mount, the bike weights in as a 60 cm at 15.8 lbs (7.2 kg).
> > >
> > > I have about $800 into. But I had a set of 40 mm deep ProLite wheels laying around that if I bought new would be $400. If you could find this type anymore. These tubeless aluminum wheels are only 100 grams heavier than carbon wheels (or lighter than most types.) Let's Remember that several manufacturers of light carbon wheels are recalling them and you wouldn't have that problem with these aluminum wheels. I suppose that when I inflate the 28 mm tubeless tires I will have to put in about 100 grams of sealant which isn't rolling weight.
> > >
> > > I had to purchase a Shimano Freehub for these wheels so that I could mount one of the superlight Microshift cassettes. Which reminds me - that weight doesn't include a new Ultegra Chain. In any case this will be as light or lighter than my Look KG585. And it will be electric.
> > >
> > > On one of the bike groups they said the most ridiculous thing possible. They said that the Dura Ace was lighter than the Ultegra hand levers. The ONLY way that this could be possible is if they replaced the steel bar clamp bolt with aluminum But the steel allows you to use an Allen bolt while the aluminum would force you to use a Torx (25 or 27, I forget) which most people don't have. And the weight difference would only be one or two grams..
> > >
> > > The water bottle will add more weight than everything needed to finish the bike so lets call the finished weight 18 lbs or a little lighter than the top end bikes selling for $8,000 or more. And this is riding weight while most of those others are size 52 cm.
> > >
> > > Initially the wiring will be a pain in the butt but you only do it once. And it would be simple if I had ordered the correct integrated bar.
> >

> > > "100 grams of sealant which isn't rolling weight."
> > Does it levitate inside the tire or is it 100g of sealant
> > mixed with 100g of antimatter sealant?
> >
> > --
> > Andrew Muzi
> > a...@yellowjersey.org
> > Open every day since 1 April, 1971
> Since it slides around the inside of the tire, it is weight on the bike but not rolling resistance other than the small percentage of stick to the tire as it rolls around.
> This is one of the things that bothered me about GCN saying that using latex or those super plastic tubes retained the same weight.

Are you really under the impression that the majority of the sealant stays in a puddle at the bottom of the tire while the wheel is spinning? Will you stop showing that you're stupid? Some people would otherwise think that you're a real cyclist.

Re: Ridley

<uco9pa$2sea7$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90786&group=rec.bicycles.tech#90786

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 16:45:28 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 20:45 UTC

On 8/30/2023 3:18 PM, AMuzi wrote:
> On 8/30/2023 2:06 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>> On Wednesday, August 30, 2023 at 11:55:07 AM UTC-7,
>> funkma...@hotmail.com wrote:

>>> +1
>>>
>>> LOL...weight added to the tire isn't rolling weight.....
>>   Will you stop showing that you're stupid? Some people would
>> otherwise think that you're a real cyclist.
>

> In physics or in metaphysics?

Darn it, guys, I was trying hard to ignore that statement of Tom's.

<sigh> So many mistakes!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Ridley

<4a4613f8-b57c-475d-b6b1-32ec7652d9ben@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90792&group=rec.bicycles.tech#90792

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 14:43:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 21:43 UTC

On Wednesday, August 30, 2023 at 3:18:59 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
> On 8/30/2023 2:06 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

> >> +1
> >>
> >> LOL...weight added to the tire isn't rolling weight.....
> > Will you stop showing that you're stupid? Some people would otherwise think that you're a real cyclist.
> In physics or in metaphysics?
> --
I guess we can chalk this up to another case where the laws of physics are different in tommy's world - like a dent in a top tube that magically pops out while riding due to road vibrations, aluminum oxide is flammable, drag is not a mechanical force......

Re: Ridley

<622ca047-5d6b-4b3e-84cc-6cc5b6921410n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=90794&group=rec.bicycles.tech#90794

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 15:29:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 22:29 UTC

So in Frank's world, the pro racers use tubeless tires in TT's ----- Why?

Re: Ridley

<6cbe6c41-0b19-4ecd-98a5-828c517e0f03n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91376&group=rec.bicycles.tech#91376

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 10:58:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 17:58 UTC

On Wednesday, August 30, 2023 at 12:18:59 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
> On 8/30/2023 2:06 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

> >> +1
> >>
> >> LOL...weight added to the tire isn't rolling weight.....
> > Will you stop showing that you're stupid? Some people would otherwise think that you're a real cyclist.
> In physics or in metaphysics?
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> a...@yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

All of this could have been looked up but instead I get a line of crap from people that apparently don't use these things:

https://www.aero-coach.co.uk/tubeless-sealant-and-rolling-resistance - from no sealant to sealant - a loss of 4 watts from the partial sticking of the sealant to the inside of the tire as it revolves.

THE LEAST increase in rolling resistance from ANY innertube is from a latex tube which is 9.5 watts at 100 psi which nobody runs. Continental RACE innertubes at rough road pressures lose 17 watts.

Is there some reason that nobody knows what rolling resistance is and what causes it? https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/specials/tpu-inner-tubes