Your mode of life will be changed to EBCDIC.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Another fatal traffic incident

SubjectAuthor
* Another fatal traffic incidentAMuzi
+- Re: Another fatal traffic incidentTom Kunich
`* Re: Another fatal traffic incidentJohn B.
 +* Re: Another fatal traffic incidentAMuzi
 |`* Re: Another fatal traffic incidentJohn B.
 | `* Re: Another fatal traffic incidentAMuzi
 |  +- Re: Another fatal traffic incidentFrank Krygowski
 |  `- Re: Another fatal traffic incidentJohn B.
 `- Re: Another fatal traffic incidentCatrike Rider

1
Another fatal traffic incident

<ue6vi2$d2ro$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91857&group=rec.bicycles.tech#91857

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Another fatal traffic incident
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 08:39:14 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 13:39 UTC

https://nypost.com/2023/09/16/retired-police-chief-was-intentionally-mowed-down-on-bike-by-teen-driver-disturbing-video-shows-hit-his-ass

--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org

Re: Another fatal traffic incident

<419f77fc-56b4-4d51-ac1d-08d4afefa189n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91861&group=rec.bicycles.tech#91861

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 06:51:49 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Another fatal traffic incident
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 13:51 UTC

On Sunday, September 17, 2023 at 6:39:19 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
> https://nypost.com/2023/09/16/retired-police-chief-was-intentionally-mowed-down-on-bike-by-teen-driver-disturbing-video-shows-hit-his-ass
>
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> a...@yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Unfortunately, they will not prosecute this 17 year old for murder and instead of the rest of his life in prison, he will be walking free with Barrack Obama's approval.

Re: Another fatal traffic incident

<bn0fgi9fpp0j59vr2jclps91reim23oa68@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91883&group=rec.bicycles.tech#91883

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 05:53:48 +0700
 by: John B. - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 22:53 UTC

On Sun, 17 Sep 2023 08:39:14 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>https://nypost.com/2023/09/16/retired-police-chief-was-intentionally-mowed-down-on-bike-by-teen-driver-disturbing-video-shows-hit-his-ass

Perhaps the solution is, as the Good Book says, "Do unto others as you
would have them do unto you". If you murder someone then you are
executed.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Another fatal traffic incident

<ue818j$j6n0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91888&group=rec.bicycles.tech#91888

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 18:14:28 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 23:14 UTC

On 9/17/2023 5:53 PM, John B. wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Sep 2023 08:39:14 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
>
>> https://nypost.com/2023/09/16/retired-police-chief-was-intentionally-mowed-down-on-bike-by-teen-driver-disturbing-video-shows-hit-his-ass
>
> Perhaps the solution is, as the Good Book says, "Do unto others as you
> would have them do unto you". If you murder someone then you are
> executed.

Much agreed in principle.
The system however has this annoying habit of convicting
innocent men, often knowingly but also from ineptitude.
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: Another fatal traffic incident

<up2fgipfdkupp5vpj6ncb6n53t4j7ot5u2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91891&group=rec.bicycles.tech#91891

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 19:27:00 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 23:27 UTC

On Mon, 18 Sep 2023 05:53:48 +0700, John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Sep 2023 08:39:14 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
>
>>https://nypost.com/2023/09/16/retired-police-chief-was-intentionally-mowed-down-on-bike-by-teen-driver-disturbing-video-shows-hit-his-ass
>
>Perhaps the solution is, as the Good Book says, "Do unto others as you
>would have them do unto you". If you murder someone then you are
>executed.

+1

Re: Another fatal traffic incident

<rm2fgi9sdat9e53vtodrjep07b320v202c@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91894&group=rec.bicycles.tech#91894

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 06:39:45 +0700
 by: John B. - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 23:39 UTC

On Sun, 17 Sep 2023 18:14:28 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>On 9/17/2023 5:53 PM, John B. wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Sep 2023 08:39:14 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
>>
>>> https://nypost.com/2023/09/16/retired-police-chief-was-intentionally-mowed-down-on-bike-by-teen-driver-disturbing-video-shows-hit-his-ass
>>
>> Perhaps the solution is, as the Good Book says, "Do unto others as you
>> would have them do unto you". If you murder someone then you are
>> executed.
>>

>Much agreed in principle.
>The system however has this annoying habit of convicting
>innocent men, often knowingly but also from ineptitude.

Of course the "system" being managed by humans will have some
"malfunctions" but there is nothing that can be done about that.
Humans ARE fallible, so all that can be done is "the best we can".

A bit different subject but I once read a science fiction story about
a world in which if you sued someone and lost the case the spectators
leaped into the body of the Court and tore the plaintiff and his
lawyer into bloody shreds.
Granted it was fiction but it does sound like a good idea.

Perhaps if you being suit and lose then you should bear all legal and
court costs, for both parties, and your lawyer should be disbarred as
he obviously didn't know the law sufficiently well (:-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Another fatal traffic incident

<ue83n2$jjbm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91895&group=rec.bicycles.tech#91895

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 18:56:18 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 23:56 UTC

On 9/17/2023 6:39 PM, John B. wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Sep 2023 18:14:28 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>>> Perhaps the solution is, as the Good Book says, "Do unto others as you
>>> would have them do unto you". If you murder someone then you are
>>> executed.
>>>

>> Much agreed in principle.
>> The system however has this annoying habit of convicting
>> innocent men, often knowingly but also from ineptitude.
>
> Of course the "system" being managed by humans will have some
> "malfunctions" but there is nothing that can be done about that.
> Humans ARE fallible, so all that can be done is "the best we can".
>
> A bit different subject but I once read a science fiction story about
> a world in which if you sued someone and lost the case the spectators
> leaped into the body of the Court and tore the plaintiff and his
> lawyer into bloody shreds.
> Granted it was fiction but it does sound like a good idea.
>
> Perhaps if you being suit and lose then you should bear all legal and
> court costs, for both parties, and your lawyer should be disbarred as
> he obviously didn't know the law sufficiently well (:-)

Regarding administrative cost and the other party's counsel
costs, that's known as 'The English Rule' and has advocates
here for civil matters. It's a reasonable argument but
hasn't gone anywhere in the past 50 years of blathering so
I'll assume the populace generally doesn't favor it (or
doesn't understand or doesn't care..)

For criminal matters it's ridiculous on its face.

Disbarment is also ridiculous although most States have a
'frivolous suit' statute with severe penalties, typically SS
802.05 here:
https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/802/05
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: Another fatal traffic incident

<ue84qt$jkr0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91897&group=rec.bicycles.tech#91897

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 20:15:24 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 00:15 UTC

On 9/17/2023 7:56 PM, AMuzi wrote:
> On 9/17/2023 6:39 PM, John B. wrote:
>>
>> A bit different subject but I once read a science fiction story about
>> a world in which if you sued someone and lost the case the spectators
>> leaped into the body of the Court and tore the plaintiff and his
>> lawyer into bloody shreds.
>> Granted it was fiction but it does sound like a good idea.
>>
>> Perhaps if you being suit and lose then you should bear all legal and
>> court costs, for both parties, and your lawyer should be disbarred as
>> he obviously didn't know the law sufficiently well (:-)
>
> Regarding administrative cost and the other party's counsel costs,
> that's known as 'The English Rule' and has advocates here for civil
> matters. It's a reasonable argument but hasn't gone anywhere in the past
> 50 years of blathering so I'll assume the populace generally doesn't
> favor it (or doesn't understand or doesn't care..)

I do think it's a reasonable proposition. From what I've read, it's the
de facto world standard. If (almost?) every country thinks it's best,
ISTM that it's worth trying here. Or would be, if it could be made to
happen.

Extending that concept: On legal matters, policy matters and many other
matters, I often wonder "How do other countries handle this? How does it
work out for them?"

(And I think that yields better information than science fiction stories.)

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Another fatal traffic incident

<nn6fgiph10a0sg4eapiku9piicutsu3qf7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91900&group=rec.bicycles.tech#91900

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 07:37:35 +0700
 by: John B. - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 00:37 UTC

On Sun, 17 Sep 2023 18:56:18 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>On 9/17/2023 6:39 PM, John B. wrote:

>>> Much agreed in principle.
>>> The system however has this annoying habit of convicting
>>> innocent men, often knowingly but also from ineptitude.
>>
>> Of course the "system" being managed by humans will have some
>> "malfunctions" but there is nothing that can be done about that.
>> Humans ARE fallible, so all that can be done is "the best we can".
>>
>> A bit different subject but I once read a science fiction story about
>> a world in which if you sued someone and lost the case the spectators
>> leaped into the body of the Court and tore the plaintiff and his
>> lawyer into bloody shreds.
>> Granted it was fiction but it does sound like a good idea.
>>
>> Perhaps if you being suit and lose then you should bear all legal and
>> court costs, for both parties, and your lawyer should be disbarred as
>> he obviously didn't know the law sufficiently well (:-)
>
>Regarding administrative cost and the other party's counsel
>costs, that's known as 'The English Rule' and has advocates
>here for civil matters. It's a reasonable argument but
>hasn't gone anywhere in the past 50 years of blathering so
>I'll assume the populace generally doesn't favor it (or
>doesn't understand or doesn't care..)
>
>For criminal matters it's ridiculous on its face.
>
>Disbarment is also ridiculous although most States have a
>'frivolous suit' statute with severe penalties, typically SS
>802.05 here:
>https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/802/05

Note, I did refer to civil "suit". But no one would expect any
changes. After all the legal profession, as well as other professions,
is quite adapt at protecting "their" livelihood.
--
Cheers,

John B.