Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. -- Albert Einstein

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Sunday Ride

SubjectAuthor
* Sunday RideTom Kunich
`* Re: Sunday RideWilliam Crowell
 `* Re: Sunday RideRoger Meriman
  `* Re: Sunday RideTom Kunich
   `* Re: Sunday RideRoger Meriman
    +* Re: Sunday RideCatrike Rider
    |`* Re: Sunday RideRoger Meriman
    | `- Re: Sunday RideCatrike Rider
    `* Re: Sunday RideTom Kunich
     `- Re: Sunday RideRoger Meriman

1
Sunday Ride

<01c7554c-3931-41ea-b847-ecb3b944208en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91921&group=rec.bicycles.tech#91921

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 09:23:28 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Sunday Ride
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 16:23 UTC

I went out and did the early 600 foot climb. My medication was hitting me about that time so I had to watch the road carefully. I was also riding the Land Shark which is the heaviest bike I have. After doing that climb I descended back almost to sea level and then did another 600 feet though this wasn't as steep it felt long. This brought me to the western end of Proctor Rd.

I followed this to Redwood Rd. and followed that down (at 36 mph) to the road closure. Working my way around the closure I started up the closed off road. When I came to the total collapse of the road, you can work your way around it because the far right used to be a pull-off. When I got to Muriel Gate, the fence had been repaired so that passage was no longer possible. You could work your way around the fence on the downhill side but there was a lot of poison oak on that route. But there was also a lot of bicycle wheel prints.

Instead I retreated to the old chain fence that was originally used to demarcate the edge of the park. I reached up and hung my bike on the fencepost and then climbed up a nearly vertical face which crumbled away and caused me to fall back down a couple of times. But I finally made the 7 or so feet, lifted the bike up and took a walking trails bypassing the road fence.

I then road out of Mariel Gate and down Redwood road. There was a surprising amount of traffic on the road considering it dead-end in Mariel Park. At the bottom of the hill I had been planning on riding up Pinehurst to the top of the hill on the Southern end - "little Pinehurst" and then turning around and retracing my steps but since I have an appointment at 1 pm I decided instead to ride up Redwood road to Skyline and come down out of the hills.. So I continued on Redwood Road which at this point is part of Oakland. There was heavy traffic on this road from, I suppose Walnut Creek taking this back road to Highway 34. I am completely out of shape and the climb up to Skyline on a busy narrow road being slowly destroyed by the heavy traffic was very tiresome. I had to stop twice to let 8 or more cars past since there are some cautious drivers that do not want to pass. By the time I had climbed the 500 feet to the top I was totally exhausted. Turning left on Skyline is a damned 10% climb for a quarter mile. I waited at the traffic light to rest and then had to dodge idiot drivers who were taking Redwood Rd to the Valley. In the best of times this is a dangerous road but with this sort of traffic I'm surprised that they don't have many more accidents as the play racers are doing 50+ mph on a road designed for 35.

Turning left and climbing up past Skyline High School which appears to have built a housing area behind it now, there is quite a bit of climbing but it is a wide road with a good sight line so it is a safe road. Then there is a fast descent and a short steep climb past some houses that used to be the only homes on Skyline, a descent and then a climb up a steep hill of 10 to 12%. i had to stop and rest about half way but I managed to clip in on the first attempt. Then the road was so bad that I ran out of energy about 20 feet from the top and again had to stop. There was a lot of cracks in the road here and I could not clip in again and a lot of traffic came by then so I walked the bike up the 20 feet. The other side is a descent though some really broken up roadway but I know when to pull into the other lane to avoid some 6 inch high bumps (in 3 or 4 areas). Then a long slide down a fast broken up road where a lot of people park to go into Grass Valley Park. There is Grass Valley Road that descends sharply with a lot of old houses on either side and nut cases pulling out on the road from their driveways without looking. But just clear of there the road descends hard (39 mph) and turns onto Golf Links Rd. There is a large clear spot for over 1/2 miles where the locals dump trash on the side of the road and where Oakland has not repaired the damage from last winter's rain.

This is a descent that turns into a downhill fast right turn and then a left ascent to a flat before another descent to a stop on Mountain Blvd. Under Highway 680 and then up a very busy climb to a side road where you have to cross this traffic that believes they are still on a Freeway. That side road still after 5 years has not repaired the ruptured sewer line and the acid from the urine has cut 5 inch groves in the asphalt as it crosses the road. You have to be extremely careful crossing these with a bike and then you have a terrible road the rest of the way down the hill to Foothill Blvd. At this place there is a Freeway exit so the traffic is again moving 50+ on the city street. But after crossing that you only go another couple of blocks to enter San Leandro where the street narrows enough that the traffic is forced to slow.

3 miles and I was home with 28 miles and 2500 feet of climbing. If I had taken my original route it would have been safer and with another 400 feet of climbing. but I have to gain my fitness back. Hopefully it will return even though I am getting close to 79. The 80 year old's I'm riding with on some rides are faster than me. So hopefully that's something to shoot for.

Re: Sunday Ride

<52e73029-0697-45e5-a5aa-bf490b27c1c2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91924&group=rec.bicycles.tech#91924

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 15:02:37 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Sunday Ride
From: retroguy...@gmail.com (William Crowell)
 by: William Crowell - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 22:02 UTC

On Monday, September 18, 2023 at 9:23:30 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
> [...]
>
> 3 miles and I was home with 28 miles and 2500 feet of climbing. If I had taken my original route it would have been safer and with another 400 feet of climbing. but I have to gain my fitness back. Hopefully it will return even though I am getting close to 79. The 80 year old's I'm riding with on some rides are faster than me. So hopefully that's something to shoot for.
We're having perfect cycling weather here, and I am trying to convince myself that tomorrow I'm going to do the Starkes Grade loop:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c03AeUshUZAzjdyi6Xvf7HLA0gxn0Qyd/view?usp=sharing

We'll see if I really do it.

Re: Sunday Ride

<%N4OM.230171$98Pa.111394@fx03.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91928&group=rec.bicycles.tech#91928

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Meriman)
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 23:10:51 GMT
 by: Roger Meriman - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 23:10 UTC

William Crowell <retroguybilly@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> with a bike and then you have a terrible road the rest of the way down
>> the hill to Foothill Blvd. At this place there is a Freeway exit so the
>> traffic is again moving 50+ on the city street. But after crossing that
>> you only go another couple of blocks to enter San Leandro where the
>> street narrows enough that the traffic is forced to slow.
>>
>> 3 miles and I was home with 28 miles and 2500 feet of climbing. If I had
>> taken my original route it would have been safer and with another 400
>> feet of climbing. but I have to gain my fitness back. Hopefully it will
>> return even though I am getting close to 79. The 80 year old's I'm
>> riding with on some rides are faster than me. So hopefully that's something to shoot for.
> We're having perfect cycling weather here, and I am trying to convince
> myself that tomorrow I'm going to do the Starkes Grade loop:

I was in Wales on the weekend and was far from ideal weather, ie mist with
varying amounts of visibility from the hill your approaching can’t be seen
to, can only just make out the old 2nd world war radar bunker 2 meters
away!

Very glad I knew the area as I could imagine folks who wandered off getting
lost and possibly intt trouble as the temperatures dropped on the higher
ground.

My shoes are still slightly wet now!

Roger Merriman

Re: Sunday Ride

<fd5f4864-e68b-4219-9dfc-db892e98ab44n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91936&group=rec.bicycles.tech#91936

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 07:13:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 14:13 UTC

On Monday, September 18, 2023 at 4:10:54 PM UTC-7, Roger Meriman wrote:
> [...]
> >> return even though I am getting close to 79. The 80 year old's I'm
> >> riding with on some rides are faster than me. So hopefully that's something to shoot for.
> > We're having perfect cycling weather here, and I am trying to convince
> > myself that tomorrow I'm going to do the Starkes Grade loop:
> >
> > https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c03AeUshUZAzjdyi6Xvf7HLA0gxn0Qyd/view?usp=sharing
> >
> > We'll see if I really do it.
> >

> I was in Wales on the weekend and was far from ideal weather, ie mist with
> varying amounts of visibility from the hill your approaching can’t be seen
> to, can only just make out the old 2nd world war radar bunker 2 meters
> away!
>
> Very glad I knew the area as I could imagine folks who wandered off getting
> lost and possibly intt trouble as the temperatures dropped on the higher

There is a local easy climbing ride that I intend to take today but make it three times harder. Let's see if I have the strength to do that.

Re: Sunday Ride

<6CkOM.236210$9o89.71635@fx05.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91941&group=rec.bicycles.tech#91941

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Meriman)
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 17:10:26 GMT
 by: Roger Meriman - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 17:10 UTC

Tom Kunich <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, September 18, 2023 at 4:10:54 PM UTC-7, Roger Meriman wrote:
>> William Crowell <retrog...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> We're having perfect cycling weather here, and I am trying to convince
>>> myself that tomorrow I'm going to do the Starkes Grade loop:
>>>
>>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c03AeUshUZAzjdyi6Xvf7HLA0gxn0Qyd/view?usp=sharing
>>>
>>> We'll see if I really do it.
>>>

>> I was in Wales on the weekend and was far from ideal weather, ie mist with
>> varying amounts of visibility from the hill your approaching can’t be seen
>> to, can only just make out the old 2nd world war radar bunker 2 meters
>> away!
>>
>> Very glad I knew the area as I could imagine folks who wandered off getting
>> lost and possibly intt trouble as the temperatures dropped on the higher
>> ground.
>>
>> My shoes are still slightly wet now!
>>
>> Roger Merriman
> There is a local easy climbing ride that I intend to take today but make
> it three times harder. Let's see if I have the strength to do that.

What gearing are using? In my experience now I’m not old but middle aged,
but the first year after my brain injury I was weak and quite ill and
lacking in power but using the old MTB with its 22/34 gearing would spin up
if slowly even 25% grades.

Roger Merriman

Re: Sunday Ride

<j2rjgi9j7ijr0dbouipn8vis3fdassue7i@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91942&group=rec.bicycles.tech#91942

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 14:51:15 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 18:51 UTC

On Tue, 19 Sep 2023 17:10:26 GMT, Roger Meriman <roger@sarlet.com>
wrote:

>Tom Kunich <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I was in Wales on the weekend and was far from ideal weather, ie mist with
>>> varying amounts of visibility from the hill your approaching can’t be seen
>>> to, can only just make out the old 2nd world war radar bunker 2 meters
>>> away!
>>>
>>> Very glad I knew the area as I could imagine folks who wandered off getting
>>> lost and possibly intt trouble as the temperatures dropped on the higher
>>> ground.
>>>
>>> My shoes are still slightly wet now!
>>>
>>> Roger Merriman
>> There is a local easy climbing ride that I intend to take today but make
>> it three times harder. Let's see if I have the strength to do that.
>>

>What gearing are using? In my experience now I’m not old but middle aged,
>but the first year after my brain injury I was weak and quite ill and
>lacking in power but using the old MTB with its 22/34 gearing would spin up
>if slowly even 25% grades.
>
>Roger Merriman

When I was younger, a few days without a ride was not a big deal, but
today, I felt the 11 day lapse...or it might have been the six days of
500/600/700 miles of driving.

Re: Sunday Ride

<aa410ad9-b5fa-4aa8-b994-bab64a5c7f41n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91946&group=rec.bicycles.tech#91946

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 13:17:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 20:17 UTC

On Tuesday, September 19, 2023 at 10:10:30 AM UTC-7, Roger Meriman wrote:
> Tom Kunich <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I was in Wales on the weekend and was far from ideal weather, ie mist with
> >> varying amounts of visibility from the hill your approaching can’t be seen
> >> to, can only just make out the old 2nd world war radar bunker 2 meters
> >> away!
> >>
> >> Very glad I knew the area as I could imagine folks who wandered off getting
> >> lost and possibly intt trouble as the temperatures dropped on the higher
> >> ground.
> >>
> >> My shoes are still slightly wet now!
> >>
> >> Roger Merriman
> > There is a local easy climbing ride that I intend to take today but make
> > it three times harder. Let's see if I have the strength to do that.
> >
> What gearing are using? In my experience now I’m not old but middle aged,
> but the first year after my brain injury I was weak and quite ill and
> lacking in power but using the old MTB with its 22/34 gearing would spin up
> if slowly even 25% grades.
>
> Roger Merriman

Today I did ride that was 30 miles long and had just short of 2,000 feet of climbing. I started getting very tired in the last 2 miles. My average speed was only 10 mph but almost the entire first 20 miles was climbing. When I got home I forgot to take the Garmin off of the bike so I went out immediately and moved the bike into the garage. This also gave me a chance to set the rear derailleur limits. I felt much better today after Tuesday's torture. Just as I got to the top of Cull Canyon two guys in their late 30's passed me and stopped at the top. I turned right around and came down. By this time I was showing fatigue so I wasn't descending the Canyon as fast as I used to. But I still beat them to the bottom. Perhaps they rest for a minute up on top. But since there's nothing there a minute is a long time unless you've totally burned yourself out on the way up. There's the possibility that they saw me off in the distance and decided to catch me and tired themselves out. But it isn't as if I'm fast anymore. So they would have to be pretty slow to wait more than a minute before starting down. Near the bottom there are several rises where I am slowed almost to a walk so they might be pretty slow on the descent because of the condition of the road.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Sunday Ride

<tsAOM.83283$UCoc.54560@fx01.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91990&group=rec.bicycles.tech#91990

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Meriman)
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 11:12:25 GMT
 by: Roger Meriman - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 11:12 UTC

Catrike Rider <soloman@drafting.not> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Sep 2023 17:10:26 GMT, Roger Meriman <roger@sarlet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Tom Kunich <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> There is a local easy climbing ride that I intend to take today but make
>>> it three times harder. Let's see if I have the strength to do that.
>>>

>> What gearing are using? In my experience now I’m not old but middle aged,
>> but the first year after my brain injury I was weak and quite ill and
>> lacking in power but using the old MTB with its 22/34 gearing would spin up
>> if slowly even 25% grades.
>>
>> Roger Merriman
>
> When I was younger, a few days without a ride was not a big deal, but
> today, I felt the 11 day lapse...or it might have been the six days of
> 500/600/700 miles of driving.

I get stiff legs! If I don’t ride for a while though that’s partly that if
I’m not riding it probably means I’m somewhere that I can’t move much
either.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Sunday Ride

<jmmlgi19gcth3e77irq7jff3a1fp1tcnfq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91991&group=rec.bicycles.tech#91991

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 07:51:58 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 11:51 UTC

<w8BOM.72775$5D9b.21924@fx02.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=91992&group=rec.bicycles.tech#91992

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Meriman)
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 11:59:24 GMT
 by: Roger Meriman - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 11:59 UTC