Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 08:27:58 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Can't find clearcut instructions that work for resetting Mikrotik
RB411 routerboard to 192.168.88.1
From: charlesa...@gmail.com (Charles Lucas)
 by: Charles Lucas - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 15:27 UTC

On Tuesday, March 28, 2023 at 1:54:17 AM UTC-5, RJH wrote:
> I know it was working when I put it in the storage box years ago.
> But I don't remember what IP address it was set to at that time.
>
> The 18VDC 1Amp POE is known to be good & the RB411 lights & beeps
> when it's powered (although I'm not sure what's supposed to light up).
>
> I went to the firmware download page (which shows it's discontinued)
> and read every document there and tried all their reset instructions
> but what they fail to do in all of them is provide explicit instructions.
> https://mikrotik.com/product/RB411
>
> None of those instructions work, but as I recall, they're all too generic
> anyway in that it matters greatly exactly the procedure that you use
> and even which of the two different onboard reset mechanisms that you use..
> https://i.postimg.cc/FKsR3Mk1/mikrotik-rb411-reset.jpg
>
> Even so, I have downloaded the latest RouterOS just in case I need to flash.
> https://download.mikrotik.com/routeros/7.8/routeros-mipsbe-7.8.npk
> And I downloaded the latest RouterBoot firmware just in case I need it.
> https://i.mt.lv/cdn/rb_bootloaders/ar7100_3.41.fwf
>
> I read the User Guide but the instructions there are too generic too.
> https://i.mt.lv/cdn/product_files/rb411ugA_130511.pdf
>
> As with the same problem with the too generic RouterOS Software Manual.
> https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:TOC
>
> Factory defaults are supposed to be 192.168.88.1 admin with no password.
> I remember the reset procedure to be non intuitive (so no generic
> instructions will work) but I don't remember the precise reset process.
>
> But I can't get a successful ping (even with well-tested cat5 cables).
> ping 192.168.88.1 -t
>
> Nor will a web browser access the webfig configuration at that address.
> http://192.168.1.88/webfig/
>
> None of the generic reset instructions appear to be working for me.
> https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Reset
>
> Unfortunately, even the specific instructions are completely generic.
> https://www.router-reset.com/info/MikroTik/RouterBOARD-411-RB411
> https://www.mikrotik.com.my/reset-to-factory-default-settings/
>
> The reset, as I recall, is actually complicated in that doing it right
> has a lot to do with exactly which LEDs flash which color (blue or green)
> and how many times specific LEDs flash & exactly when you let up.
>
> I set the Windows IP address as admin so that's not the problem (AFAICT).
> netsh interface ipv4 set address name="Ethernet" static 192.168.88.2 255.255.255.0 192.168.88.1
> netsh interface ipv4 show config "Ethernet"
>
> There are two different resets on the Mikrotik RB411 routerboard.
> One is a "S301" button & the other is a short slot, both of which I tried..
> https://i.mt.lv/cdn/rb_images/669_hi_res.png
>
> All I can find is I hold the S301 spring-loaded button until some unknown
> LED light starts flashing (blue or green, there are many), and then I release
> the S301 spring-loaded button which is supposed to reset the RouterOS
> [...]

Hi, Just a few quick suggestions. These are standard protocols for testing
any router (whether it is new or used, or discontinued or not). Please check
the following link below for basic solutions:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/commands-manage-wireless-networks-windows/

I have found the ipconfig command and the ping command quite useful. So will
the router table command.

What this does is show the routing and porting of the system (especially if you
want to use port forwarding). Remember, that in addition to this, there will be
the needed security protocols for the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz bands (and perhaps
for the various sub-bands as well). Bear in mind, this is high end FM. Check and
verify connectivity, range, and throughput.

Hope this helps.

Sincere regards,

Charles Lucas