Any philosophy that can be put "in a nutshell" belongs there. -- Sydney J. Harris

interests / sci.anthropology.paleo / Re: pachy-osteo-sclerosis in H.erectus = shallow-diving

SubjectAuthor
* pachy-osteo-sclerosis in H.erectus = shallow-divinglittor...@gmail.com
`* Re: pachy-osteo-sclerosis in H.erectus = shallow-divingDD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves
 `- Re: pachy-osteo-sclerosis in H.erectus = shallow-divinglittor...@gmail.com

1
pachy-osteo-sclerosis in H.erectus = shallow-diving

<0f9dc15a-3796-4805-99be-f9f5e6ac0742n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9246&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#9246

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sat, 1 May 2021 03:00:51 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: pachy-osteo-sclerosis in H.erectus = shallow-diving
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Sat, 1 May 2021 10:00 UTC

Only incredible imbecils believe H.erectus ran after antelopes:

From land to water:
Evolutionary changes in long bone microanatomy of otters (Mammalia: Mustelidae)
Alexandra Houssaye & Léo Botton-Divet 2018
Biol.J.Linn.Soc.125:240-9 doi 10.1093/biolinnean/bly118

Adaptation to an aquatic lifestyle has occurred independently in numerous amniote lineages.
Such ecological shifts commonly engender adaptive changes in the musculo-skeletal system.
Semi-aquatic taxa highlight the compromises needed to enable locomotion both on land & in water & during the initial stages of the transition from land to water.
Mustelids include some semi-aquatic taxa that are primarily terrestrial, and others that are primarily aquatic.
Using micro-tomography, the inner bone structure of the whole stylopod from 8 different mustelid taxa with distinct swimming abilities & ecologies was submitted to qualitative & quantitative analysis.
3 main patterns in the 3D inner organization of bone were identified, which illustrate 3 steps in the process of secondary adaptation to an aquatic lifestyle:
- a tubular organization in (primarily) terrestrial forms,
- a thickening of the cortex and an extension of the trabecular network in most otters,
- a strong thickening of the cortex & a much denser & more widespread trabecular network in the almost exclusively aquatic sea-otter.

Micro-anatomical data are in agreement with morphological data,
they highlight consistency between the fore- & hind-limb patterns.
The osteo-sclerotic pattern of the sea-otter shows similarities to some aquatic amniotes,
but additional comparative 3D micro-anatomical data are required to elucidate its functional significance.

(+ refs to the littoral theory of hman evolution)

Re: pachy-osteo-sclerosis in H.erectus = shallow-diving

<8677129d-cf0e-4973-ae41-dd086b865f43n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9249&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#9249

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sat, 1 May 2021 08:42:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves)
 by: DD'eDeN aka not - Sat, 1 May 2021 15:42 UTC

On Saturday, May 1, 2021 at 6:00:52 AM UTC-4, littor...@gmail.com wrote:
> Only incredible imbecils believe H.erectus ran after antelopes:
Only incredible geniuses believe H erectus ate grasshoppers, crickets, ostrich eggs along with freshwater shellfish (eg. Trinil)
Why would a terrestrial walking obligate biped not gain bone density in legs and rear of skull vs arboreal facultative biped? Cf Ostrich & penguin vs songbird & gull.

> From land to water:
> Evolutionary changes in long bone microanatomy of otters (Mammalia: Mustelidae)
> Alexandra Houssaye & Léo Botton-Divet 2018
> Biol.J.Linn.Soc.125:240-9 doi 10.1093/biolinnean/bly118
>
> Adaptation to an aquatic lifestyle has occurred independently in numerous amniote lineages.
> Such ecological shifts commonly engender adaptive changes in the musculo-skeletal system.
> Semi-aquatic taxa highlight the compromises needed to enable locomotion both on land & in water & during the initial stages of the transition from land to water.
> Mustelids include some semi-aquatic taxa that are primarily terrestrial, and others that are primarily aquatic.
> Using micro-tomography, the inner bone structure of the whole stylopod from 8 different mustelid taxa with distinct swimming abilities & ecologies was submitted to qualitative & quantitative analysis.
> 3 main patterns in the 3D inner organization of bone were identified, which illustrate 3 steps in the process of secondary adaptation to an aquatic lifestyle:
> - a tubular organization in (primarily) terrestrial forms,
> - a thickening of the cortex and an extension of the trabecular network in most otters,
> - a strong thickening of the cortex & a much denser & more widespread trabecular network in the almost exclusively aquatic sea-otter.
>
> Micro-anatomical data are in agreement with morphological data,
> they highlight consistency between the fore- & hind-limb patterns.
> The osteo-sclerotic pattern of the sea-otter shows similarities to some aquatic amniotes,
> but additional comparative 3D micro-anatomical data are required to elucidate its functional significance.
>
> (+ refs to the littoral theory of hman evolution)

Re: pachy-osteo-sclerosis in H.erectus = shallow-diving

<9c018717-1d04-403a-ac2f-7cd844cfd0cdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9253&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#9253

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sat, 1 May 2021 10:18:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Sat, 1 May 2021 17:18 UTC

Op zaterdag 1 mei 2021 om 17:42:37 UTC+2 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

> > Only incredible imbecils believe H.erectus ran after antelopes:

> Only incredible geniuses believe H erectus ate grasshoppers, crickets, ostrich eggs along with freshwater shellfish (eg. Trinil)
> Why would a terrestrial walking obligate biped

H.sapiens, you mean, my boy??

If you mean H.erectus, you're even more stupid than I thought:
H.erectus was a shallow-diver:
each of the following is already enough to prove that:
-pachyosteosclerosis,
-ear exostoses,
-island colonisations,
but there are a lot of other indications (which kudu runners like you misinterpret, of course):
-stone tools = shellfish,
-intercontinental dispersal,
-platymeria,
-full plantigrady,
-very large brain (DHA),
-etc.etc.

These coastal populations often followed the rivers inland: google
"coastal dispersal Pleistocene Homo PPT",
but one must be an incredible fool to believe that these fat & heavy people ran after antelopes:

"The nowadays popular ideas about Pleistocene human ancestors running in open plains (‘endurance running’, ‘dogged pursuit of swifter animals’, ‘born to run’, ‘le singe coureur’, ‘Savannahstan’) are among the worst scientific hypotheses ever proposed." (2013 Hum.Evol.28:237-266)
“We have a water- and sodium-wasting cooling system of abundant sweat glands, unfit for a dry environment. Our maximal urine concentration is too low for a savanna-dwelling mammal. We need more water than other primates, and have to drink more often than savanna inhabitants, yet we cannot drink large quantities at a time” (1987 Nature 325:305-6).

Early hominoids were already bipedal (c 25 Ma?): to wade in swamp forests & climb arms overhead in the branches above,
but only sapiens became an "obligate" (= +-exclusive) biped (late-Pleistocene): very long tibias etc.

_____