There's a whole WORLD in a mud puddle! -- Doug Clifford

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Working on the bikes.

SubjectAuthor
* Working on the bikes.Tom Kunich
`* Re: Working on the bikes.AMuzi
 `* Re: Working on the bikes.Tom Kunich
  `* Re: Working on the bikes.AMuzi
   `* Re: Working on the bikes.Tom Kunich
    `* Re: Working on the bikes.TCL
     `- Re: Working on the bikes.Tom Kunich

1
Working on the bikes.

<b91d4312-df5b-4a78-a444-ec11eeb53828n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93359&group=rec.bicycles.tech#93359

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2023 11:50:52 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Working on the bikes.
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 18:50 UTC

I have a set of Bontrager Race Light wheels due in. They don't have any quick releases but I'm pretty sure I have a couple of sets around here somewhere. But the real problem with using them is that they have a 10 speed freehub. Looking around I get all sorts of answers for converting these to 11 speed.

In one case I'm told that the hubs are the older 3 ratchet DT Swiss hubs and otherwise, when I look around no one seems to know what the hell they are of where to get an 11 speed freehub.

I imagine that Andrew has the answer for this since they are 130 mm rear hubs. The only 11 speed Bontrager wheels I can find are XXX light carbon wheels which are ridiculously expensive when all I should have to do is remove and replace the Freehub.

Andrew - what say you?

Re: Working on the bikes.

<ug1jd8$2u86$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93361&group=rec.bicycles.tech#93361

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Working on the bikes.
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2023 14:13:45 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 19:13 UTC

On 10/9/2023 1:50 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> I have a set of Bontrager Race Light wheels due in. They don't have any quick releases but I'm pretty sure I have a couple of sets around here somewhere. But the real problem with using them is that they have a 10 speed freehub. Looking around I get all sorts of answers for converting these to 11 speed.
>
> In one case I'm told that the hubs are the older 3 ratchet DT Swiss hubs and otherwise, when I look around no one seems to know what the hell they are of where to get an 11 speed freehub.
>
> I imagine that Andrew has the answer for this since they are 130 mm rear hubs. The only 11 speed Bontrager wheels I can find are XXX light carbon wheels which are ridiculously expensive when all I should have to do is remove and replace the Freehub.
>
> Andrew - what say you?

Go Campagnolo.
Same current model cassette body supports 9-10-11-12 speed,
unchanged since 1999.
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org

Re: Working on the bikes.

<aa4aba35-aa35-45db-bcb6-f0f0531a8e09n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93362&group=rec.bicycles.tech#93362

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2023 12:28:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 19:28 UTC

On Monday, October 9, 2023 at 12:13:49 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
> On 10/9/2023 1:50 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > I have a set of Bontrager Race Light wheels due in. They don't have any quick releases but I'm pretty sure I have a couple of sets around here somewhere. But the real problem with using them is that they have a 10 speed freehub. Looking around I get all sorts of answers for converting these to 11 speed.
> >
> > In one case I'm told that the hubs are the older 3 ratchet DT Swiss hubs and otherwise, when I look around no one seems to know what the hell they are of where to get an 11 speed freehub.
> >
> > I imagine that Andrew has the answer for this since they are 130 mm rear hubs. The only 11 speed Bontrager wheels I can find are XXX light carbon wheels which are ridiculously expensive when all I should have to do is remove and replace the Freehub.
> >
> > Andrew - what say you?
> Go Campagnolo.
> Same current model cassette body supports 9-10-11-12 speed,
> unchanged since 1999.
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> a...@yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971
Well, I've had a couple of thoughts. The Shimano 11 speed CUES cassettes are steel and only 100 grams heavier than the aluminum one, have advanced up and down shifting and last nearly forever. They are completely riveted together so that they don't tear up an aluminum freehub and I believe you're going to see these on racing bikes because of the much more advanced shifting.. Plus they are due to be very cheap whereas the Campy higher end cassettes are over $400.

Shimano also makes them in 11-34 whereas Campy is only available in the 11-32 unless you're running 12 speed and Campy 12 speed and Shimano 12 speed are not compatible.

Re: Working on the bikes.

<ug1kp4$379u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93363&group=rec.bicycles.tech#93363

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2023 14:37:09 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 19:37 UTC

On 10/9/2023 2:28 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Monday, October 9, 2023 at 12:13:49 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
>> On 10/9/2023 1:50 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>>> I have a set of Bontrager Race Light wheels due in. They don't have any quick releases but I'm pretty sure I have a couple of sets around here somewhere. But the real problem with using them is that they have a 10 speed freehub. Looking around I get all sorts of answers for converting these to 11 speed.
>>>
>>> In one case I'm told that the hubs are the older 3 ratchet DT Swiss hubs and otherwise, when I look around no one seems to know what the hell they are of where to get an 11 speed freehub.
>>>
>>> I imagine that Andrew has the answer for this since they are 130 mm rear hubs. The only 11 speed Bontrager wheels I can find are XXX light carbon wheels which are ridiculously expensive when all I should have to do is remove and replace the Freehub.
>>>
>>> Andrew - what say you?
>> Go Campagnolo.
>> Same current model cassette body supports 9-10-11-12 speed,
>> unchanged since 1999.

> Well, I've had a couple of thoughts. The Shimano 11 speed CUES cassettes are steel and only 100 grams heavier than the aluminum one, have advanced up and down shifting and last nearly forever. They are completely riveted together so that they don't tear up an aluminum freehub and I believe you're going to see these on racing bikes because of the much more advanced shifting. Plus they are due to be very cheap whereas the Campy higher end cassettes are over $400.
>
> Shimano also makes them in 11-34 whereas Campy is only available in the 11-32 unless you're running 12 speed and Campy 12 speed and Shimano 12 speed are not compatible.

In that event, bon chance.

You'll need to know which hub series you have now but bodies
are probably available. If you bought these new from an LBS
or a regular discount house, call them. Often there's a
reduced price for swapping out "I bought the wrong format".

--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: Working on the bikes.

<d9760d64-3ca0-49d1-8a5c-b9d59b7fc703n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93365&group=rec.bicycles.tech#93365

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2023 12:45:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 19:45 UTC

On Monday, October 9, 2023 at 12:37:12 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
> On 10/9/2023 2:28 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

> >> Go Campagnolo.
> >> Same current model cassette body supports 9-10-11-12 speed,
> >> unchanged since 1999.
> > Well, I've had a couple of thoughts. The Shimano 11 speed CUES cassettes are steel and only 100 grams heavier than the aluminum one, have advanced up and down shifting and last nearly forever. They are completely riveted together so that they don't tear up an aluminum freehub and I believe you're going to see these on racing bikes because of the much more advanced shifting. Plus they are due to be very cheap whereas the Campy higher end cassettes are over $400.
> >
> > Shimano also makes them in 11-34 whereas Campy is only available in the 11-32 unless you're running 12 speed and Campy 12 speed and Shimano 12 speed are not compatible.
> In that event, bon chance.
>
> You'll need to know which hub series you have now but bodies
> are probably available. If you bought these new from an LBS
> or a regular discount house, call them. Often there's a
> reduced price for swapping out "I bought the wrong format".
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> a...@yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971
Thanks. They look like DT Swiss hubs but they have side pull spokes on the rear.

Re: Working on the bikes.

<21c6ee2d-587f-4e76-8579-4731e1d531ebn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93370&group=rec.bicycles.tech#93370

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2023 14:27:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: tlaniga...@gmail.com (TCL)
 by: TCL - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 21:27 UTC

On Monday, October 9, 2023 at 2:45:29 PM UTC-5, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Monday, October 9, 2023 at 12:37:12 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:

> > > Well, I've had a couple of thoughts. The Shimano 11 speed CUES cassettes are steel and only 100 grams heavier than the aluminum one, have advanced up and down shifting and last nearly forever. They are completely riveted together so that they don't tear up an aluminum freehub and I believe you're going to see these on racing bikes because of the much more advanced shifting. Plus they are due to be very cheap whereas the Campy higher end cassettes are over $400.
> > >
> > > Shimano also makes them in 11-34 whereas Campy is only available in the 11-32 unless you're running 12 speed and Campy 12 speed and Shimano 12 speed are not compatible.
> > In that event, bon chance.
> >
> > You'll need to know which hub series you have now but bodies
> > are probably available. If you bought these new from an LBS
> > or a regular discount house, call them. Often there's a
> > reduced price for swapping out "I bought the wrong format".
> > --
> > Andrew Muzi
> > a...@yellowjersey.org
> > Open every day since 1 April, 1971
> Thanks. They look like DT Swiss hubs but they have side pull spokes on the rear.
I converted three wheels from Shimano 8 speed to 11 speed around 2 years ago. As I understand it, the 8 speed hubs would run up to 10 speed, but not 11 speed. One set of wheels were Bontrager Race Lites. My Race Lites did not have the DT-Swiss hubs. I was able to purchase a replacement Bontrager freehub body for the Race Lites, but I could only find them in England. It cost ~ 33 Pounds for the freehub body and ~35 Pounds to have them shipped to the New Orleans, LA area. It took a lot of research to feel comfortable I was ordering the correct freehub body, but everything worked fine.

Re: Working on the bikes.

<19b4315e-3f1f-4584-9023-ed2d4a451df2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93406&group=rec.bicycles.tech#93406

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 07:51:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 14:51 UTC

On Monday, October 9, 2023 at 2:27:07 PM UTC-7, TCL wrote:
> On Monday, October 9, 2023 at 2:45:29 PM UTC-5, Tom Kunich wrote:

> > > In that event, bon chance.
> > >
> > > You'll need to know which hub series you have now but bodies
> > > are probably available. If you bought these new from an LBS
> > > or a regular discount house, call them. Often there's a
> > > reduced price for swapping out "I bought the wrong format".
> > > --
> > > Andrew Muzi
> > > a...@yellowjersey.org
> > > Open every day since 1 April, 1971
> > Thanks. They look like DT Swiss hubs but they have side pull spokes on the rear.
> I converted three wheels from Shimano 8 speed to 11 speed around 2 years ago. As I understand it, the 8 speed hubs would run up to 10 speed, but not 11 speed. One set of wheels were Bontrager Race Lites. My Race Lites did not have the DT-Swiss hubs. I was able to purchase a replacement Bontrager freehub body for the Race Lites, but I could only find them in England. It cost ~ 33 Pounds for the freehub body and ~35 Pounds to have them shipped to the New Orleans, LA area. It took a lot of research to feel comfortable I was ordering the correct freehub body, but everything worked fine.

If that sounds like expensive shipping from England, try buying something from Australia.