From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Subject: Re: Webb shows universe goes back 13.7 billion years fools won't
realize the universe is infinite so cannot have a beginning
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 12:12:12 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Sat, 16 Jul 2022 02:12 UTC

On 14-July-22 8:53 pm, Darin Sordi wrote:
> Sylvia Else wrote:
>
>> On 12-July-22 6:22 pm, Arindam Banerjee wrote:
>>> So big bang time keeps on getting pushed back.
>>> And the edge of the universe not found.
>>> Far more galaxies instead.
>>> Amazing how humans can be so clever and so stupid at the same time.
>>
>> 13.7 billion years seems to have been the estimate for a while.
>> There is no expectation of finding an edge, and no assumption that an
>> edge exists.
>
> which invalidates your former statement. You put a margin to a one, you
> have to have it at the later. You kiss ass.

If you think of the big-bang as the blowing up of a finite sized object,
then that would be true.

That is not how cosmologists consider the big-bang. There is nothing to
say that the universe has not always been infinite in size, but then
started expanding at the the big bang.

Even if the universe has an edge of some sort, it could have been so far
away at the time of the big bang that the expansion puts it forever
beyond Earth's light cone, meaning that we'd never see it, no matter how
long we wait.

Sylvia.