Computer programmers do it byte by byte.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Adult Tricycle brakes

SubjectAuthor
* Adult Tricycle brakesvjp2.at
`* Re: Adult Tricycle brakesAMuzi
 `* Re: Adult Tricycle brakesFrank Krygowski
  `* Re: Adult Tricycle brakesAMuzi
   `* Re: Adult Tricycle brakesFrank Krygowski
    +* Re: Adult Tricycle brakesAMuzi
    |`* Re: Adult Tricycle brakesvjp2.at
    | `- Re: Adult Tricycle brakesCatrike Rider
    `- Re: Adult Tricycle brakesAMuzi

1
Adult Tricycle brakes

<uga9pd$rj3$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93528&group=rec.bicycles.tech#93528

From: vjp2...@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Adult Tricycle brakes
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 02:24:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: vjp2...@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 02:24 UTC

I am building a Vevox from Wamart kit. The rear brakes seem to only brake
one wheel which is destabilising. Is there a way to get it to brake the
other rear wheel? Am I failing to see or adjust something?

--
Vasos Panagiotopoulos panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Re: Adult Tricycle brakes

<ugbduc$3656u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93535&group=rec.bicycles.tech#93535

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Adult Tricycle brakes
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 07:41:48 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 12:41 UTC

On 10/12/2023 9:24 PM, vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
wrote:
> I am building a Vevox from Wamart kit. The rear brakes seem to only brake
> one wheel which is destabilising. Is there a way to get it to brake the
> other rear wheel? Am I failing to see or adjust something?

Search for 'Vevox' finds a software firm.
https://www.vevox.com/

Walmart has a 'Vevor' tricycle with a band brake on the
drive shaft:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/VEVOR-Foldable-Adult-Tricycle-26-Wheels-7-Speed-3-Wheels-Trike-Colorful-Bike-Basket-Portable-Bicycle-Adults-Exercise-Shopping-Picnic-Outdoor-Activiti/170227541

Since that style of tricycle has only one drive wheel
there's no practical way to brake both wheels without
extensive ($$$) reworking.
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org

Re: Adult Tricycle brakes

<ugbns7$38i35$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93543&group=rec.bicycles.tech#93543

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 11:31:18 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 15:31 UTC

On 10/13/2023 8:41 AM, AMuzi wrote:
> On 10/12/2023 9:24 PM, vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
>> I am building a Vevox from Wamart kit.  The rear brakes seem to only
>> brake
>> one wheel which is destabilising.  Is there a way to get it to brake the
>> other rear wheel?  Am I failing to see or adjust something?
>>

> Search for 'Vevox' finds a software firm.
> https://www.vevox.com/
>
> Walmart has a 'Vevor' tricycle with a band brake on the drive shaft:
>
> https://www.walmart.com/ip/VEVOR-Foldable-Adult-Tricycle-26-Wheels-7-Speed-3-Wheels-Trike-Colorful-Bike-Basket-Portable-Bicycle-Adults-Exercise-Shopping-Picnic-Outdoor-Activiti/170227541
>
> Since that style of tricycle has only one drive wheel there's no
> practical way to brake both wheels without extensive ($$$) reworking.

I can imagine someone cobbling a way to mount a caliper brake on the
frame member that encircles the rear wheel. But it would be a project.

Really, the front brake should be all that's needed.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Adult Tricycle brakes

<ugbot8$38pb5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93548&group=rec.bicycles.tech#93548

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 10:48:54 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 15:48 UTC

On 10/13/2023 10:31 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 10/13/2023 8:41 AM, AMuzi wrote:
>> On 10/12/2023 9:24 PM,
>> vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
>>> I am building a Vevox from Wamart kit.  The rear brakes
>>> seem to only brake
>>> one wheel which is destabilising.  Is there a way to get
>>> it to brake the
>>> other rear wheel?  Am I failing to see or adjust something?
>>>

>> Search for 'Vevox' finds a software firm.
>> https://www.vevox.com/
>>
>> Walmart has a 'Vevor' tricycle with a band brake on the
>> drive shaft:
>>
>> https://www.walmart.com/ip/VEVOR-Foldable-Adult-Tricycle-26-Wheels-7-Speed-3-Wheels-Trike-Colorful-Bike-Basket-Portable-Bicycle-Adults-Exercise-Shopping-Picnic-Outdoor-Activiti/170227541
>>
>> Since that style of tricycle has only one drive wheel
>> there's no practical way to brake both wheels without
>> extensive ($$$) reworking.
>
> I can imagine someone cobbling a way to mount a caliper
> brake on the frame member that encircles the rear wheel. But
> it would be a project.
>
> Really, the front brake should be all that's needed.

The standard design for the past 50 years at least is a
solid shaft with one wheel keyed or pinned and the other
side free (which obviates differential gears). There's no
structural member outboard from the wheel, only the
occasional mudguard brace.

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/TRIKCHE2.JPG
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: Adult Tricycle brakes

<ugc7lq$3cp3k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93558&group=rec.bicycles.tech#93558

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 16:00:57 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 20:00 UTC

On 10/13/2023 11:48 AM, AMuzi wrote:
> On 10/13/2023 10:31 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
>>>>

>>> Search for 'Vevox' finds a software firm.
>>> https://www.vevox.com/
>>>
>>> Walmart has a 'Vevor' tricycle with a band brake on the drive shaft:
>>>
>>> https://www.walmart.com/ip/VEVOR-Foldable-Adult-Tricycle-26-Wheels-7-Speed-3-Wheels-Trike-Colorful-Bike-Basket-Portable-Bicycle-Adults-Exercise-Shopping-Picnic-Outdoor-Activiti/170227541
>>>
>>> Since that style of tricycle has only one drive wheel there's no
>>> practical way to brake both wheels without extensive ($$$) reworking.
>>
>> I can imagine someone cobbling a way to mount a caliper brake on the
>> frame member that encircles the rear wheel. But it would be a project.
>>
>> Really, the front brake should be all that's needed.
>>

> The standard design for the past 50 years at least is a solid shaft with
> one wheel keyed or pinned and the other side free (which obviates
> differential gears). There's no structural member outboard from the
> wheel, only the occasional mudguard brace.
>
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/TRIKCHE2.JPG

The other Walmart photos seemed to show a sort of horizontal hoop around
each rear wheel, perhaps just to mount the fenders. But I was guessing
maybe 1/2" OD tube, probably enough for a brake.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Adult Tricycle brakes

<ugc8k7$3d0ja$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93559&group=rec.bicycles.tech#93559

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 15:17:09 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 20:17 UTC

On 10/13/2023 3:00 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 10/13/2023 11:48 AM, AMuzi wrote:

>>> I can imagine someone cobbling a way to mount a caliper
>>> brake on the frame member that encircles the rear wheel.
>>> But it would be a project.
>>>
>>> Really, the front brake should be all that's needed.
>>>

>> The standard design for the past 50 years at least is a
>> solid shaft with one wheel keyed or pinned and the other
>> side free (which obviates differential gears). There's no
>> structural member outboard from the wheel, only the
>> occasional mudguard brace.
>>
>> http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/TRIKCHE2.JPG
>
> The other Walmart photos seemed to show a sort of horizontal
> hoop around each rear wheel, perhaps just to mount the
> fenders. But I was guessing maybe 1/2" OD tube, probably
> enough for a brake.

Yes but not suitable for a brake although plenty for a
mudguard. They bend/dent easily.
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: Adult Tricycle brakes

<ugc8ta$3d0ja$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93560&group=rec.bicycles.tech#93560

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 15:22:00 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 20:22 UTC

On 10/13/2023 3:00 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 10/13/2023 11:48 AM, AMuzi wrote:

>>> I can imagine someone cobbling a way to mount a caliper
>>> brake on the frame member that encircles the rear wheel.
>>> But it would be a project.
>>>
>>> Really, the front brake should be all that's needed.
>>>

>> The standard design for the past 50 years at least is a
>> solid shaft with one wheel keyed or pinned and the other
>> side free (which obviates differential gears). There's no
>> structural member outboard from the wheel, only the
>> occasional mudguard brace.
>>
>> http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/TRIKCHE2.JPG
>
> The other Walmart photos seemed to show a sort of horizontal
> hoop around each rear wheel, perhaps just to mount the
> fenders. But I was guessing maybe 1/2" OD tube, probably
> enough for a brake.

It might be easier to weld a mount for a disc caliper with a
different hub. User would need to remove axle end nut and
slide the shaft (final drive sprocket has an allen grub
screw) to change a wheel.
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: Adult Tricycle brakes

<ugiabl$1j2$2@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93741&group=rec.bicycles.tech#93741

From: vjp2...@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 03:23:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: vjp2...@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 03:23 UTC

THanks to all the replies. Yes, Vevor.

I first an adult tricycle in 1972. June Lockhart (Lost in Space, Lassie) was
riding it in Malba NY. It was twice as large and our school bus driver went
bats. Well, I'm half sure it was her, it was near her home.

--
Vasos Panagiotopoulos panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Re: Adult Tricycle brakes

<0jqpiid13eie7uq2mbusbqgrgl2l8c4umj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93748&group=rec.bicycles.tech#93748

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 03:46:43 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 07:46 UTC

On Mon, 16 Oct 2023 03:23:33 -0000 (UTC),

https://www.catrike.com/max