One can't proceed from the informal to the formal by formal means.

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Tracking N-path filter

SubjectAuthor
* Tracking N-path filterbitrex
+* Re: Tracking N-path filterMartin Brown
|`* Re: Tracking N-path filterwhit3rd
| `- Re: Tracking N-path filterJan Panteltje
+* Re: Tracking N-path filterwhit3rd
|`* Re: Tracking N-path filterwhit3rd
| +- Re: Tracking N-path filterJoe Gwinn
| `* Re: Tracking N-path filterbitrex
|  `- Re: Tracking N-path filterwhit3rd
+* Re: Tracking N-path filterJohn Larkin
|`* Re: Tracking N-path filterbitrex
| `- Re: Tracking N-path filterjlarkin
`- Re: Tracking N-path filterpiglet

1
Tracking N-path filter

<zZG1K.4525$e%.463@fx36.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93600&group=sci.electronics.design#93600

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Subject: Tracking N-path filter
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 13:52:30 -0400
 by: bitrex - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 17:52 UTC

If I have an adjustable-frequency stepped sine wave can I use a tracking
switched-cap filter to band-pass the low-frequency steps, and push the
steppies up to a higher frequency that can be filtered with a a
fixed-frequency low pass?

I'm doing an experiment with a mixed-signal PLC to put a sine VCO all on
one (stupid-cheap) chip.

Something like: ADC -> crystal master clock & numerically-controlled
counter = voltage-controlled clock oscillator -> Johnson shift register
-> analog -> tracking switched-cap filter -> anti-alias filter.

Not expecting amazing performance but it's an interesting exercise; the
fact that on some models of this PLC (e.g.
https://www.dialog-semiconductor.com/products/greenpak/dual-supply-greenpak/slg46621)

you get a second VDD2 pin that only supplies the VDD of a set of
configurable NMOS/CMOS/PMOS outputs might make it possible to integrate
certain switched-capacitor topologies into the device aside from
external caps, using VDD2 as a signal input instead of for bridging
logic supply voltage domains

Re: Tracking N-path filter

<t27h6b$1rbg$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93603&group=sci.electronics.design#93603

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Tracking N-path filter
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 19:44:25 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 18:44 UTC

On 01/04/2022 18:52, bitrex wrote:
> If I have an adjustable-frequency stepped sine wave can I use a tracking
> switched-cap filter to band-pass the low-frequency steps, and push the
> steppies up to a higher frequency that can be filtered with a a
> fixed-frequency low pass?

Before the question is answerable you will have to describe what you are
actually trying to do and at what sweep rates and frequencies.

My instinct is that in the digital domain you would be better off doing
the sweep by subsampling and/or interpolating into a largish DAC lookup
table by the half cycle. Depends how much jitter you can live with.

There are surprisingly good DDS chips these days for not that much.

> I'm doing an experiment with a mixed-signal PLC to put a sine VCO all on
> one (stupid-cheap) chip.

4046 is hard to beat if you just want a cheap VCO
https://www.ti.com/lit/an/scha002a/scha002a.pdf

VCO out is triangle wave but diode shapers are easy enough provided that
you don't want a purist hifi quality sine wave. Good to ~1MHz.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Tracking N-path filter

<b122f741-72fe-48a3-8cae-2db17ea21547n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93626&group=sci.electronics.design#93626

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 15:54:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 22:54 UTC

On Friday, April 1, 2022 at 11:44:34 AM UTC-7, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 01/04/2022 18:52, bitrex wrote:
> > If I have an adjustable-frequency stepped sine wave can I use a tracking
> > switched-cap filter...

> 4046 is hard to beat if you just want a cheap VCO
> https://www.ti.com/lit/an/scha002a/scha002a.pdf
>
> VCO out is triangle wave but diode shapers are easy enough provided that
> you don't want a purist hifi quality sine wave. Good to ~1MHz.

The VCO in a '4046 gives a square wave; you'd have to integrate that to
get a triangle, and it'd have frequency-dependent amplitude. For controlled
triangle VCO, it takes voltage-current conversion and current polarity
switching (LM13700 and a comparator, for instance) and a capacitor.

Re: Tracking N-path filter

<af78118e-d38a-48fc-9abe-e4a9d571cb64n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93627&group=sci.electronics.design#93627

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 15:54:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)

On Friday, April 1, 2022 at 10:52:38 AM UTC-7, bitrex wrote:
> If I have an adjustable-frequency stepped sine wave can I use a tracking
> switched-cap filter to band-pass the low-frequency steps, and push the
> steppies up to a higher frequency that can be filtered with a a
> fixed-frequency low pass?
>
> I'm doing an experiment with a mixed-signal PLC to put a sine VCO all on
> one (stupid-cheap) chip.

All the digital tricks need a low-pass filter, and a tracking low-pass is a LOT of work.
I'd consider, first, doing two 10 MHz-ish oscillators, mixing down, and THEN the
low-frequency just has to stop 10MHz-ish, and 20 MHz-and-up. Something like
a classical IF strip of LC's is a very nice, passive, filter for a known stopband
that's not too wide, and there's SAW filters for a high end.

Re: Tracking N-path filter

<bp1f4h9ptr3v15ph2oqr6lid5s5ski1r95@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93629&group=sci.electronics.design#93629

From: jlar...@highland_atwork_technology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 16:16:21 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 23:16 UTC

On Fri, 1 Apr 2022 13:52:30 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:

>If I have an adjustable-frequency stepped sine wave can I use a tracking
>switched-cap filter to band-pass the low-frequency steps, and push the
>steppies up to a higher frequency that can be filtered with a a
>fixed-frequency low pass?
>
>I'm doing an experiment with a mixed-signal PLC to put a sine VCO all on
>one (stupid-cheap) chip.
>
>Something like: ADC -> crystal master clock & numerically-controlled
>counter = voltage-controlled clock oscillator -> Johnson shift register
>-> analog -> tracking switched-cap filter -> anti-alias filter.
>
>Not expecting amazing performance but it's an interesting exercise; the
>fact that on some models of this PLC (e.g.
>https://www.dialog-semiconductor.com/products/greenpak/dual-supply-greenpak/slg46621)
>
>you get a second VDD2 pin that only supplies the VDD of a set of
>configurable NMOS/CMOS/PMOS outputs might make it possible to integrate
>certain switched-capacitor topologies into the device aside from
>external caps, using VDD2 as a signal input instead of for bridging
>logic supply voltage domains

That is a very strange chip.

A cheap uP with an onboard DAC can do pretty good software DDS sine
wave generation up to at least 10s of KHz.

--

If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end with doubts,
but if he will be content to begin with doubts he shall end in certainties.

Re: Tracking N-path filter

<UrQ1K.719248$aT3.507966@fx09.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93644&group=sci.electronics.design#93644

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2022 00:39:17 -0400
 by: bitrex - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 04:39 UTC

On 4/1/2022 7:16 PM, John Larkin wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Apr 2022 13:52:30 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:
>
>> If I have an adjustable-frequency stepped sine wave can I use a tracking
>> switched-cap filter to band-pass the low-frequency steps, and push the
>> steppies up to a higher frequency that can be filtered with a a
>> fixed-frequency low pass?
>>
>> I'm doing an experiment with a mixed-signal PLC to put a sine VCO all on
>> one (stupid-cheap) chip.
>>
>> Something like: ADC -> crystal master clock & numerically-controlled
>> counter = voltage-controlled clock oscillator -> Johnson shift register
>> -> analog -> tracking switched-cap filter -> anti-alias filter.
>>
>> Not expecting amazing performance but it's an interesting exercise; the
>> fact that on some models of this PLC (e.g.
>> https://www.dialog-semiconductor.com/products/greenpak/dual-supply-greenpak/slg46621)
>>
>> you get a second VDD2 pin that only supplies the VDD of a set of
>> configurable NMOS/CMOS/PMOS outputs might make it possible to integrate
>> certain switched-capacitor topologies into the device aside from
>> external caps, using VDD2 as a signal input instead of for bridging
>> logic supply voltage domains
>
> That is a very strange chip.

Looks like it's two separate chips that then got interconnected in the
same package, somehow. There's a "Matrix 0" and "Matrix 1" in the
designer, each have their own parts, and can only talk to each other
over a fixed number of lines. There's a lot of bits & bobs to make stuff
out of in there, though.

> A cheap uP with an onboard DAC can do pretty good software DDS sine
> wave generation up to at least 10s of KHz.

Done that and it's fine but this is a push-the-limits experiment,
hacking an analog filter into a part that's not really designed to do it.

The MF10 active filter IC was cool. The lead time at Mouser is May of
2023, not cool.

Re: Tracking N-path filter

<t28koc$saf$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93646&group=sci.electronics.design#93646

From: pNaonStp...@yahoo.com (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2022 04:50:54 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.com/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 04:50 UTC

On a sunny day (Fri, 1 Apr 2022 15:54:17 -0700 (PDT)) it happened whit3rd
<whit3rd@gmail.com> wrote in
<b122f741-72fe-48a3-8cae-2db17ea21547n@googlegroups.com>:

>On Friday, April 1, 2022 at 11:44:34 AM UTC-7, Martin Brown wrote:
>> On 01/04/2022 18:52, bitrex wrote:
>> > If I have an adjustable-frequency stepped sine wave can I use a tracking
>> > switched-cap filter...
>

>> 4046 is hard to beat if you just want a cheap VCO
>> https://www.ti.com/lit/an/scha002a/scha002a.pdf
>>
>> VCO out is triangle wave but diode shapers are easy enough provided that
>> you don't want a purist hifi quality sine wave. Good to ~1MHz.
>
>The VCO in a '4046 gives a square wave; you'd have to integrate that to
>get a triangle, and it'd have frequency-dependent amplitude. For controlled
>triangle VCO, it takes voltage-current conversion and current polarity
>switching (LM13700 and a comparator, for instance) and a capacitor.

No idea what he is actually doing, but indeed 4046
My old signal generator was a 4046 driving a binary counter that was connected to an EPROM
programmed with a 256 steps sine wave...
Nice variable frequency sine wave output in the audio range.

Re: Tracking N-path filter

<t29al7$mh1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93653&group=sci.electronics.design#93653

From: erichpwa...@hotmail.com (piglet)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2022 12:05:10 +0100
 by: piglet - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 11:05 UTC

On 01/04/2022 18:52, bitrex wrote:
> If I have an adjustable-frequency stepped sine wave can I use a tracking
> switched-cap filter to band-pass the low-frequency steps, and push the
> steppies up to a higher frequency that can be filtered with a a
> fixed-frequency low pass?

Yes, a switched cap low pass filter could be all you need. If LPF is
high (like 5th) order then don't even need to premake a stepped sine
input, a square wave is enough. AoE has this since at least Ed 2 (poss
even Ed 1).

piglet

Re: Tracking N-path filter

<63og4htkhrjgg022ntt4tsi0sakc944dq3@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93655&group=sci.electronics.design#93655

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2022 07:41:59 -0700
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 14:41 UTC

On Sat, 2 Apr 2022 00:39:17 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:

>On 4/1/2022 7:16 PM, John Larkin wrote:
>> On Fri, 1 Apr 2022 13:52:30 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:
>>
>>> If I have an adjustable-frequency stepped sine wave can I use a tracking
>>> switched-cap filter to band-pass the low-frequency steps, and push the
>>> steppies up to a higher frequency that can be filtered with a a
>>> fixed-frequency low pass?
>>>
>>> I'm doing an experiment with a mixed-signal PLC to put a sine VCO all on
>>> one (stupid-cheap) chip.
>>>
>>> Something like: ADC -> crystal master clock & numerically-controlled
>>> counter = voltage-controlled clock oscillator -> Johnson shift register
>>> -> analog -> tracking switched-cap filter -> anti-alias filter.
>>>
>>> Not expecting amazing performance but it's an interesting exercise; the
>>> fact that on some models of this PLC (e.g.
>>> https://www.dialog-semiconductor.com/products/greenpak/dual-supply-greenpak/slg46621)
>>>
>>> you get a second VDD2 pin that only supplies the VDD of a set of
>>> configurable NMOS/CMOS/PMOS outputs might make it possible to integrate
>>> certain switched-capacitor topologies into the device aside from
>>> external caps, using VDD2 as a signal input instead of for bridging
>>> logic supply voltage domains
>>
>> That is a very strange chip.
>
>Looks like it's two separate chips that then got interconnected in the
>same package, somehow. There's a "Matrix 0" and "Matrix 1" in the
>designer, each have their own parts, and can only talk to each other
>over a fixed number of lines. There's a lot of bits & bobs to make stuff
>out of in there, though.
>
>> A cheap uP with an onboard DAC can do pretty good software DDS sine
>> wave generation up to at least 10s of KHz.
>
>Done that and it's fine but this is a push-the-limits experiment,
>hacking an analog filter into a part that's not really designed to do it.
>
>The MF10 active filter IC was cool. The lead time at Mouser is May of
>2023, not cool.

MF10s were awful. They were super noisy and aliased like crazy.

N-paths should alias too.

--

I yam what I yam - Popeye

Re: Tracking N-path filter

<1b1b4ed7-0431-43f0-98e3-1b4686a664f8n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93676&group=sci.electronics.design#93676

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2022 13:19:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 20:19 UTC

On Friday, April 1, 2022 at 7:04:19 PM UTC-7, bill....@ieee.org wrote:
> On Saturday, April 2, 2022 at 9:54:56 AM UTC+11, whit3rd wrote:
> > On Friday, April 1, 2022 at 10:52:38 AM UTC-7, bitrex wrote:
> > > If I have an adjustable-frequency stepped sine wave can I use a tracking
> > > switched-cap filter to band-pass the low-frequency steps, and push the
> > > steppies up to a higher frequency that can be filtered with a a
> > > fixed-frequency low pass?

> > All the digital tricks need a low-pass filter, and a tracking low-pass is a LOT of work.

> A shift register with the right value resistor on each tap can make a tracking low pass filter. You sum the currents through each of the resistors into a virtual, and what comes out can be a pretty respectable sine wave. It's a finite impulse response digital filter with most of the computation handled by the analog output.

Yes, that has good possibilities; if you use a table for the sine, there's going to be steps (jaggies) at the
table granularity, which means a 1000-point table of sines (one quadrant of a wave) gives at
least .001 of the peak amplitude as 'steps'. DAC step size is also a granularity, assumed small.
A FIR filter with analog components only needs a
fast summing junction and a bevy of hold capacitors, and a tracking clock (easier to make
a clock track than a passive filter element) and thus smooth the steps. Expect
a bit of switching noise, still, but a CCD array of capacitors can make an on-the-chip
integrated implementation.

Is there an off-the-shelf implementation available? If nothing else, a modulated-capacitance
CCD array can be imagined, that would cheaply reproduce such a filter characteristic.

Re: Tracking N-path filter

<4rdh4h93surp9a6j6objn3ppncf4lf19jm@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93678&group=sci.electronics.design#93678

From: joegw...@comcast.net (Joe Gwinn)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2022 16:52:59 -0400
 by: Joe Gwinn - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 20:52 UTC

On Sat, 2 Apr 2022 13:19:02 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd <whit3rd@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Friday, April 1, 2022 at 7:04:19 PM UTC-7, bill....@ieee.org wrote:
>
>> > All the digital tricks need a low-pass filter, and a tracking low-pass is a LOT of work.
>
>> A shift register with the right value resistor on each tap can make a tracking low pass filter. You sum the currents through each of the resistors into a virtual, and what comes out can be a pretty respectable sine wave. It's a finite impulse response digital filter with most of the computation handled by the analog output.
>
>Yes, that has good possibilities; if you use a table for the sine, there's going to be steps (jaggies) at the
>table granularity, which means a 1000-point table of sines (one quadrant of a wave) gives at
>least .001 of the peak amplitude as 'steps'. DAC step size is also a granularity, assumed small.

What is commonly done is linear or perhaps quadratic interpolation
between table values.

Joe Gwinn

Re: Tracking N-path filter

<E232K.719666$aT3.467173@fx09.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93681&group=sci.electronics.design#93681

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2022 17:16:21 -0400
 by: bitrex - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 21:16 UTC

On 4/2/2022 4:19 PM, whit3rd wrote:
> On Friday, April 1, 2022 at 7:04:19 PM UTC-7, bill....@ieee.org wrote:
>
>>> All the digital tricks need a low-pass filter, and a tracking low-pass is a LOT of work.
>
>> A shift register with the right value resistor on each tap can make a tracking low pass filter. You sum the currents through each of the resistors into a virtual, and what comes out can be a pretty respectable sine wave. It's a finite impulse response digital filter with most of the computation handled by the analog output.
>
> Yes, that has good possibilities; if you use a table for the sine, there's going to be steps (jaggies) at the
> table granularity, which means a 1000-point table of sines (one quadrant of a wave) gives at
> least .001 of the peak amplitude as 'steps'. DAC step size is also a granularity, assumed small.
> A FIR filter with analog components only needs a
> fast summing junction and a bevy of hold capacitors, and a tracking clock (easier to make
> a clock track than a passive filter element) and thus smooth the steps. Expect
> a bit of switching noise, still, but a CCD array of capacitors can make an on-the-chip
> integrated implementation.
>
> Is there an off-the-shelf implementation available? If nothing else, a modulated-capacitance
> CCD array can be imagined, that would cheaply reproduce such a filter characteristic.

Y'all got a schematic of what this "FIR with analog components" looks like?

Re: Tracking N-path filter

<83b711be-f1e9-48ea-a2d4-73ed87b0e3d6n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93682&group=sci.electronics.design#93682

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2022 14:59:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 21:59 UTC

On Saturday, April 2, 2022 at 2:16:28 PM UTC-7, bitrex wrote:
> On 4/2/2022 4:19 PM, whit3rd wrote:
> > On Friday, April 1, 2022 at 7:04:19 PM UTC-7, bill....@ieee.org wrote:

> >> A shift register with the right value resistor on each tap can make a tracking low pass filter. You sum the currents through each of the resistors into a virtual, and what comes out can be a pretty respectable sine wave. It's a finite impulse response digital filter with most of the computation handled by the analog output.
> >
> > Yes, that has good possibilities; ...

> > A FIR filter with analog components only needs a
> > fast summing junction and a bevy of hold capacitors, and a tracking clock...
> > a CCD array of capacitors can make an on-the-chip
> > integrated implementation.
> >
> > Is there an off-the-shelf implementation available? If nothing else, a modulated-capacitance
> > CCD array can be imagined, that would cheaply reproduce such a filter characteristic.

> Y'all got a schematic of what this "FIR with analog components" looks like?

I was imagining a CCD that instead of being a simple chain was a branched chain, portioning off
fractions of the DAC voltage/charge into a summing junction. That allows the FIR filter coefficients to be
printed on-chip. The single DAC output would be delayed differently for each tap, and it tracks
with the CCD clock (a multiple of the DAC clock) so it can effect its filtering up to that higher
clock limit.