From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: OT: Oddest by far
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 05:52:36 -0700
 by: Don Y - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 12:52 UTC

My previous record for oddest film had to go to _Rubber_.
And, perhaps a little affection towards it (being truly
novel).

But, tonight's review tops it: _A Glitch in the Matrix_.
Weird enough to need a second viewing just to make sense
of it (likely just listening to the *audio* soas not to be
distracted by the visuals!)

Re: OT: Oddest by far

<t2cn1o$rhp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93707&group=sci.electronics.design#93707

From: Soph...@invalid.org (John S)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: OT: Oddest by far
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 12:55:04 -0500
 by: John S - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 17:55 UTC

On 4/3/2022 7:52 AM, Don Y wrote:
> My previous record for oddest film had to go to _Rubber_.
> And, perhaps a little affection towards it (being truly
> novel).
>
> But, tonight's review tops it:  _A Glitch in the Matrix_.
> Weird enough to need a second viewing just to make sense
> of it (likely just listening to the *audio* soas not to be
> distracted by the visuals!)

I might watch it tonight, but Rubber may be more to my liking.
You need help.
..
..
..
Me, too.

Re: OT: Oddest by far

<obsj4htsi8s8gssh5b2hag176hgrqs34b5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93711&group=sci.electronics.design#93711

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2022 12:12:17 -0700
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 19:12 UTC

On Sun, 3 Apr 2022 05:52:36 -0700, Don Y <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid>
wrote:

>My previous record for oddest film had to go to _Rubber_.
>And, perhaps a little affection towards it (being truly
>novel).
>
>But, tonight's review tops it: _A Glitch in the Matrix_.
>Weird enough to need a second viewing just to make sense
>of it (likely just listening to the *audio* soas not to be
>distracted by the visuals!)

Looks tedious.

--

I yam what I yam - Popeye

Re: OT: Oddest by far

<t2dgde$dh6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93725&group=sci.electronics.design#93725

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 18:07:49 -0700
 by: Don Y - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 01:07 UTC

On 4/3/2022 10:55 AM, John S wrote:
> On 4/3/2022 7:52 AM, Don Y wrote:
>> My previous record for oddest film had to go to _Rubber_.
>> And, perhaps a little affection towards it (being truly
>> novel).
>>
>> But, tonight's review tops it: _A Glitch in the Matrix_.
>> Weird enough to need a second viewing just to make sense
>> of it (likely just listening to the *audio* soas not to be
>> distracted by the visuals!)
>

> I might watch it tonight, but Rubber may be more to my liking.
> You need help.
> .
> .
> .
> Me, too.

Our library has a rather large collection of DVDs (~8000?) plus
other streaming choices. So, its silly not to avail yourself
of them.

And, a generous check-out policy -- up to 15 DVDs in your 25 item
quota. So, we tend to have ~20 titles on hand, at all times.
(several visits to the local branch, weekly, ensures a constant
churn).

I've learned NOT to explore what a title is about prior to deciding
whether to check it out as that makes it too easy to limit your choices
and get into echo-chamber mode (though there are some titles I know
to avoid simply by their cover art, etc.). "Variety is good" -- even
if you later decide you didn't like what you checked out! :>

So, this *seemed* like it would have been yet-another of the Matrix
series (the last -- 0th? -- being _The Animatrix_).

The material covered seems like it might be worth reviewing. But,
the visuals were too distracting -- like watching a guy juggling
fire axes while he's discussing particle physics. So, I'll "watch"
it again, but without the video (which, IMO, didn't really *add*
anything to the subject that you couldn't have already known)

I suspect there is a list, somewhere, of the N different plot lines
that a story arc can take. So, its really hard to come up with something
truly unique, in that regard. (_Rubber_'s uniqueness is its absurdity.)

But, while I'm rarely impressed with an electronic design, story-telling
and film-making are truly impressive (to me) undertakings; imagining the
sets, the character visuals, personalities, etc. just seems to be a
hugely creative process (whereas "electronics" has too many fixed rules
in place as to how you can meaningfully connect a small number of different
component types).

[E.g., _Valerian and the City of 1000 Planets_ is a stupid plot with
piss-poor acting. But, the (some of the) visuals are truly stunning!
That seems to be a common thread in Luc Besson's products]

Enjoy _Rubber_. Reimagining it with the protagonist being a person would
be a huge let-down -- LESS worth watching!

Re: OT: Oddest by far

<t2di4h$a1s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93728&group=sci.electronics.design#93728

From: Soph...@invalid.org (John S)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 20:37:20 -0500
 by: John S - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 01:37 UTC

On 4/3/2022 8:07 PM, Don Y wrote:
> On 4/3/2022 10:55 AM, John S wrote:
>> On 4/3/2022 7:52 AM, Don Y wrote:
>>> My previous record for oddest film had to go to _Rubber_.
>>> And, perhaps a little affection towards it (being truly
>>> novel).
>>>
>>> But, tonight's review tops it:  _A Glitch in the Matrix_.
>>> Weird enough to need a second viewing just to make sense
>>> of it (likely just listening to the *audio* soas not to be
>>> distracted by the visuals!)
>>

>> I might watch it tonight, but Rubber may be more to my liking.
>> You need help.
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> Me, too.
>
> Our library has a rather large collection of DVDs (~8000?) plus
> other streaming choices.  So, its silly not to avail yourself
> of them.
>
> And, a generous check-out policy -- up to 15 DVDs in your 25 item
> quota.  So, we tend to have ~20 titles on hand, at all times.
> (several visits to the local branch, weekly, ensures a constant
> churn).
>
> I've learned NOT to explore what a title is about prior to deciding
> whether to check it out as that makes it too easy to limit your choices
> and get into echo-chamber mode (though there are some titles I know
> to avoid simply by their cover art, etc.).  "Variety is good" -- even
> if you later decide you didn't like what you checked out!  :>
>
> So, this *seemed* like it would have been yet-another of the Matrix
> series (the last -- 0th? -- being _The Animatrix_).
>
> The material covered seems like it might be worth reviewing.  But,
> the visuals were too distracting -- like watching a guy juggling
> fire axes while he's discussing particle physics.  So, I'll "watch"
> it again, but without the video (which, IMO, didn't really *add*
> anything to the subject that you couldn't have already known)
>
> I suspect there is a list, somewhere, of the N different plot lines
> that a story arc can take.  So, its really hard to come up with something
> truly unique, in that regard.  (_Rubber_'s uniqueness is its absurdity.)

Indeed. I watched it this afternoon.

> But, while I'm rarely impressed with an electronic design, story-telling
> and film-making are truly impressive (to me) undertakings; imagining the
> sets, the character visuals, personalities, etc. just seems to be a
> hugely creative process (whereas "electronics" has too many fixed rules
> in place as to how you can meaningfully connect a small number of different
> component types).
>
> [E.g., _Valerian and the City of 1000 Planets_ is a stupid plot with
> piss-poor acting.  But, the (some of the) visuals are truly stunning!
> That seems to be a common thread in Luc Besson's products]
>
> Enjoy _Rubber_.  Reimagining it with the protagonist being a person would
> be a huge let-down -- LESS worth watching!

Have you seen Black Crab?

Re: OT: Oddest by far

<t2douv$6ts$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93734&group=sci.electronics.design#93734

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 20:33:49 -0700
 by: Don Y - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 03:33 UTC

On 4/3/2022 6:37 PM, John S wrote:
> On 4/3/2022 8:07 PM, Don Y wrote:
>> On 4/3/2022 10:55 AM, John S wrote:
>> I suspect there is a list, somewhere, of the N different plot lines
>> that a story arc can take. So, its really hard to come up with something
>> truly unique, in that regard. (_Rubber_'s uniqueness is its absurdity.)
>
> Indeed. I watched it this afternoon.

If the protagonist had been a human, it would have been far less interesting:
"<yawn> Yet another shoot-em-up flick..." Somehow, the absurdity of a tire
just makes it fun!

> Have you seen Black Crab?

No, I will look for it.

In no particular order, you might want to try (for oddities):
_Valerian and the City of 1000 Planets_ (stunning visuals)
_The City of Lost Children_ (how do they come up with this stuff??)
_The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec_ (ditto!)
_Man Facing Southeast_
_The Fifth Element_
_RED_ (for humor/fun)
_The Zero Theorem_
_Pan's Labyrinth_
_Hellboy_ (for humor)
_9_ (likely the most well-crafted production I've ever seen)
_Harold and Maude_ (though this is pretty mainstream/cult, now)
_Cashback_ (delightfully light-hearted)
_God Bless America_ / _Parting Shots_
[similar plots -- ever notice how often that's the case? As if one
firm was shopping around a script and another firm decided to WRITE
one just like it! IIRC, the second is the better executed of these]
_John Dies at the End_ (I would enjoy a sequel)
_Journey to the West_ (sequel was disappointing)
_Troll Hunter_ (a different "culture" to wrap your head around)
_Little Shop of Horrors (remake)_ (one of the few musicals that I enjoyed)
_Mars Attacks_ (ack! ack!)
_The New New Testament_ (you'll likely have to resort to subtitles)
_Mr Nobody_ (preachy -- but only after-the-fact)
_The Happytime Murders_ (silly enough to border on slapstick)

Apologies if I've misremembered some of the titles!

By far, I find more of these "oddballs" more entertaining than most of
the "mainstream" offerings!