Packages should build-depend on what they should build-depend. -- Santiago Vila on debian-devel

tech / sci.math / Re: Gödel incompleteness is impossible in [correct reasoning]

SubjectAuthor
* Unless the Goldbach conjecture is provable it is not true V3olcott
`* Re: Unless the Goldbach conjecture is provable it is not true V3Alan Mackenzie
 +* Re: Unless the Goldbach conjecture is provable it is not true V3olcott
 |+* Re: Unless the Goldbach conjecture is provable it is not true V3Alan Mackenzie
 ||`* Re: Unless the Goldbach conjecture is provable it is not true V3olcott
 || `* Re: Unless the Goldbach conjecture is provable it is not true V3Alan Mackenzie
 ||  `* Re: Unless the Goldbach conjecture is provable it is not true V3olcott
 ||   `* Re: Unless the Goldbach conjecture is provable it is not true V3Alan Mackenzie
 ||    `* Re: Unless the Goldbach conjecture is provable it is not true V3olcott
 ||     `* Re: Unless the Goldbach conjecture is provable it is not true V3Alan Mackenzie
 ||      `* Re: Unless the Goldbach conjecture is provable it is not true V3olcott
 ||       `* Re: Unless the Goldbach conjecture is provable it is not true V3Alan Mackenzie
 ||        `* Re: Unless the Goldbach conjecture is provable it is not true V3olcott
 ||         `* Re: Unless the Goldbach conjecture is provable it is not true V3Alan Mackenzie
 ||          `- Re: Gödel incompleteness is impossible in [correolcott
 |`* Re: Unless the Goldbach conjecture is provable it is not true V3Mike Terry
 | `* Re: Unless the Goldbach conjecture is provable it is not true V3olcott
 |  `* Re: Unless the Goldbach conjecture is provable it is not true V3Mike Terry
 |   `* Re: Unless the Goldbach conjecture is provable it is not true V3olcott
 |    `* Re: Unless the Goldbach conjecture is provable it is not true V3Mike Terry
 |     `* Re: Unless the Goldbach conjecture is provable it is not true V3olcott
 |      `* Re: Unless the Goldbach conjecture is provable it is not true V3Mike Terry
 |       `* Re: Gödel incompleteness is impossible in [correolcott
 |        `* Re: Gödel incompleteness is impossible in [correolcott
 |         `* Re: Gödel incompleteness is impossible in [correolcott
 |          +* Re: Gödel incompleteness is impossible in [correolcott
 |          |`- Re: Gödel incompleteness is impossible in [correolcott
 |          `* Re: Gödel incompleteness is impossible in [correolcott
 |           +* Re: Gödel incompleteness is impossible in [correolcott
 |           |`* Re: Gödel incompleteness is impossible in [correolcott
 |           | `* Re: Gödel incompleteness is impossible in [correolcott
 |           |  `- Re: Gödel incompleteness is impossible in [correolcott
 |           `- Re: Gödel incompleteness is impossible in [correPython
 `- Re: Unless the Goldbach conjecture is provable it is not true V3Mathin3D

Pages:12
Re: Gödel incompleteness is impossible in [correct reasoning]

<zdSdnXTeILsdtbD_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93625&group=sci.math#93625

Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 17:10:54 -0600
Subject: Re:_Gödel_incompleteness_is_impossible_in_[corre
ct_reasoning]
Newsgroups: sci.logic,sci.math
<t0an30$t7a$1@news.muc.de> <rbWdnRXrNcqsebX_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<t0aq92$8qp$1@gioia.aioe.org> <lfWdnfVlY8rTc7X_nZ2dnUU7_81g4p2d@giganews.com>
<tfWdnR1n_dvMbbX_nZ2dnUU7-T_NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
<GqKdnRKhg75EZ7X_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<t0b58t$1tll$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<7uGdnZk9GfnetLT_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<t0de7p$1qup$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<_uOdnfVxvPVH0rf_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<_V4XJ.34003$d0Y8.4250@fx31.iad>
<6bSdnTMTPvFFYLH_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<p58XJ.58653$WZCa.29196@fx08.iad>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sat, 12 Mar 2022 23:10 UTC

On 3/12/2022 3:17 PM, Richard Damon wrote:
> On 3/12/22 3:08 PM, olcott wrote:

>>> I will point out a fundamental issue with your 'claim'. Godel's proof
>>> was for logic system sufficiently powerful to express the Truths of
>>> the Natural Number system.
>>>

>> The problem is not as it is often stated:
>> For every formal system that can express Peano Arithmetic (or better)
>> there are logic sentences that are true and unprovable.
>>
>> The actual issue that then when a provability predicate is
>> artificially contrived in a system that has woefully insufficient
>> expressiveness required to provide a provability predicate the
>> incoherence of the logic sentence is obscured by the purely extraneous
>> complexity.
>>
>> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/331859461_Minimal_Type_Theory_YACC_BNF
>>

>> Here is Gödel's logic sentence in Minimal Type Theory:
>> G := ~(PA ⊢ G)
>
> Which since that ISN'T the Godel sentence, you whole proof is incorrect.
>
> (or maybe the issue is a defect in your MTT that it can't express the
> actual Godel Sentence).

Everyone that I talk to about this has only learned these things by rote
and has no understanding what-so-ever about the actual underlying
interrelated meanings involved.

Can you the logical equivalent to the Gödel sentence in the language of
a formal system that has its own provability operator (thus no need for
Gödel numbers) ?

Here is a place where you can start: F ⊢ GF ↔ ¬ProvF(┌GF┐)
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/goedel-incompleteness/#FirIncTheCom

Whatever excuse you use for not doing this will be construed as the
extremely shallow depth of your (learned-by-rote) understanding.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Gödel incompleteness is impossible in [correct reasoning]

<z_qdnfdEP98f5LD_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93645&group=sci.math#93645

Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 22:56:32 -0600
ct_reasoning]
Newsgroups: sci.logic,sci.math
<rjeXJ.58663$WZCa.57956@fx08.iad>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 04:56 UTC

On 3/12/2022 10:21 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> Which since that ISN'T the Godel sentence, you whole proof is incorrect.
>>>
>>> (or maybe the issue is a defect in your MTT that it can't express the
>>> actual Godel Sentence).
>>>

>> Everyone that I talk to about this has only learned these things by
>> rote and has no understanding what-so-ever about the actual underlying
>> interrelated meanings involved.
>>
> \
>

>> Can you the logical equivalent to the Gödel sentence in the language
>> of a formal system that has its own provability operator (thus no need
>> for Gödel numbers) ?
>
> You need a logical system that can handle recursion. You don't seem to
> have one that does.

MTT provides the conventional := "is defined as" operator.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_logic_symbols

> Why do you say you have no need for Godel Numbers? Godel Numbers are
> just a mathematical way to express a statement, so you 'provability'
> operator can just be given a numerical value to express it.
>
> If you can't form 'Godel Numbers', then you have just proven that your
> logic system isn't advanced enough to handle the needed concepts.

The only purpose of the Gödel numbers is to artificially contrive a
provability predicate/operator in a system enormously too weak to
express one.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Gödel incompleteness is impossible in [correct reasoning]

<QP-dnYcQHLi06rP_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93691&group=sci.math#93691

Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 17:58:48 -0500
ct_reasoning]
Newsgroups: sci.logic,sci.math
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 22:58 UTC

On 3/12/2022 10:21 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> Which since that ISN'T the Godel sentence, you whole proof is incorrect.
>>>
>>> (or maybe the issue is a defect in your MTT that it can't express the
>>> actual Godel Sentence).
>>>

>> Everyone that I talk to about this has only learned these things by
>> rote and has no understanding what-so-ever about the actual underlying
>> interrelated meanings involved.
>>
> \
>

>> Can you the logical equivalent to the Gödel sentence in the language
>> of a formal system that has its own provability operator (thus no need
>> for Gödel numbers) ?
>
> You need a logical system that can handle recursion. You don't seem to
> have one that does.
>
> Why do you say you have no need for Godel Numbers? Godel Numbers are
> just a mathematical way to express a statement, so you 'provability'
> operator can just be given a numerical value to express it.
>
> If you can't form 'Godel Numbers', then you have just proven that your
> logic system isn't advanced enough to handle the needed concepts.
>

>> Here is a place where you can start: F ⊢ GF ↔ ¬ProvF(┌GF┐)
>> https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/goedel-incompleteness/#FirIncTheCom
>>
>> Whatever excuse you use for not doing this will be construed as the
>> extremely shallow depth of your (learned-by-rote) understanding.

I summed it all up in this paper quite succinctly:

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Gödel incompleteness is impossible in [correct reasoning]

<_ImdnYCLyemEOLP_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93702&group=sci.math#93702

Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 21:14:48 -0500
ct_reasoning]
Newsgroups: sci.logic,sci.math
<2pwXJ.205660$t2Bb.143208@fx98.iad>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 02:14 UTC

On 3/13/2022 7:56 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> \

>>> You need a logical system that can handle recursion. You don't seem
>>> to have one that does.
>>>
>>> Why do you say you have no need for Godel Numbers? Godel Numbers are
>>> just a mathematical way to express a statement, so you 'provability'
>>> operator can just be given a numerical value to express it.
>>>
>>> If you can't form 'Godel Numbers', then you have just proven that
>>> your logic system isn't advanced enough to handle the needed concepts.

>> I summed it all up in this paper quite succinctly:
>>
>> Prolog detects [and rejects] pathological self reference in the Gödel
>> sentence
>>
>> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/350789898_Prolog_detects_pathological_self_reference_in_the_Godel_sentence
>>

> And Prolog is not the definition of Truth.
>
> You method rejects ligitimate self-reference, and thus in incorrect.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Gödel incompleteness is impossible in [correct reasoning]

<t0m93t$1ftt$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93703&group=sci.math#93703

From: pyt...@example.invalid (Python)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,sci.math
ct_reasoning]
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 03:26:33 +0100
<t0an30$t7a$1@news.muc.de> <rbWdnRXrNcqsebX_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<t0aq92$8qp$1@gioia.aioe.org> <lfWdnfVlY8rTc7X_nZ2dnUU7_81g4p2d@giganews.com>
<tfWdnR1n_dvMbbX_nZ2dnUU7-T_NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
<GqKdnRKhg75EZ7X_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<t0b58t$1tll$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<7uGdnZk9GfnetLT_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<t0de7p$1qup$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<_uOdnfVxvPVH0rf_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<_V4XJ.34003$d0Y8.4250@fx31.iad>
<6bSdnTMTPvFFYLH_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<p58XJ.58653$WZCa.29196@fx08.iad>
<zdSdnXTeILsdtbD_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<rjeXJ.58663$WZCa.57956@fx08.iad>
<QP-dnYcQHLi06rP_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
 by: Python - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 02:26 UTC

olcott wrote:
> I summed it all up in this paper quite succinctly:
>
> Prolog detects [and rejects] pathological self reference in the Gödel
> sentence

Oh Really? What about Prolog irrelevant?

http://r6.ca/Goedel/goedel1.html

Re: Gödel incompleteness is impossible in [correct reasoning]

<iPydnbylusMBLLP_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93706&group=sci.math#93706

Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 22:08:11 -0500
ct_reasoning]
Newsgroups: sci.logic,sci.math
<eayXJ.117676$%uX7.71444@fx38.iad>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 03:08 UTC

On 3/13/2022 9:57 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> And Prolog is not the definition of Truth.
>>>
>>> You method rejects ligitimate self-reference, and thus in incorrect.
>>>

>> I will get back to your other posts on this subject later on, probably
>> tomorrow. If you very carefully study my very brief paper you will see
>> that Prolog does reject the very simplified Gödel sentence that I have
>> been referring to in my recent posts.
>
> Right, but Prolog is not the defined reference source of truth, and you
> 'Godel Sentence' is NOT the actual Godel Sentence, so it isn't applicable.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Gödel incompleteness is impossible in [correct reasoning]

<1NCdnWPsgq7f2bL_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93741&group=sci.math#93741

Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 08:33:53 -0500
ct_reasoning]
Newsgroups: sci.logic,sci.math
<DbFXJ.44919$LRj9.33549@fx29.iad>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 13:33 UTC

On 3/14/2022 5:56 AM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> Right, but Prolog is not the defined reference source of truth, and
>>> you 'Godel Sentence' is NOT the actual Godel Sentence, so it isn't
>>> applicable.
>>>

>> It recognizes and rejects the same infinite recursion that is in:
>> (a) Gödel incompleteness
>> (b) Tarski Undefinability (based on the Liar Paradox)
>> (c) The halting problem counter examples
>> (d) The formalized Liar Paradox
>
> And that shows your problem. There is a DIFFERENCE in the form of the
> 'recursion' in the first 3 from the Liar's paradox, but the problem is
> that YOUR logic can't handle the differece.
>
> The Liar's Paradox statement is a statement that literally can not hold
> a Truth Value due to its direct self-reference.
>
> The others do not do this, and the statements DO have truth values.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Gödel incompleteness is impossible in [correct reasoning]

<6rWdnUG3MrHfVrL_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93780&group=sci.math#93780

Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 18:09:51 -0500
ct_reasoning]
Newsgroups: sci.logic,sci.math
<WXkXJ.109602$m1S7.97362@fx36.iad>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 23:09 UTC

On 3/13/2022 6:54 AM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> \

>>> You need a logical system that can handle recursion. You don't seem
>>> to have one that does.
>>>

>> MTT provides the conventional := "is defined as" operator.
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_logic_symbols
>
> Except that in your 'papers' comment that it rejects definition that
> refer to themselves because of infinite expansion.
>
> So fact(x) := if x == 1 then 1 else x * fact(x-1)
>
> means that you can't use fact for an unknown value of x, because you
> can't constant fold the if statement.
>
> This also means your system can't handle proofs by induction, a basic
> tool of proof in theorems over the Natural Numbers.
>
> Again, as I have mentioned before, part of your weakness of not
> understanding how to use logic with infinite sets, which work somewhat
> differently than finite sets.
>

>>> Why do you say you have no need for Godel Numbers? Godel Numbers are
>>> just a mathematical way to express a statement, so you 'provability'
>>> operator can just be given a numerical value to express it.
>>>
>>> If you can't form 'Godel Numbers', then you have just proven that
>>> your logic system isn't advanced enough to handle the needed concepts.
>>>

>> The only purpose of the Gödel numbers is to artificially contrive a
>> provability predicate/operator in a system enormously too weak to
>> express one.
>
> No, the purpose of the Godel Numbers is to use the POWER of mathematics
> to build an indirection that makes the statement specifically NOT
> directly self-referential.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Gödel incompleteness is impossible in [correct reasoning]

<J8SdnZjyhe-NT7L_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93782&group=sci.math#93782

Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 18:38:54 -0500