Fascinating is a word I use for the unexpected. -- Spock, "The Squire of Gothos", stardate 2124.5

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Plastic tubes.

SubjectAuthor
* Plastic tubes.Tom Kunich
`* Re: Plastic tubes.Roger Meriman
 +* Re: Plastic tubes.Frank Krygowski
 |`* Re: Plastic tubes.AMuzi
 | +- Re: Plastic tubes.Roger Merriman
 | `- Re: Plastic tubes.Catrike Rider
 `* Re: Plastic tubes.sms
  +* Re: Plastic tubes.AMuzi
  |`- Re: Plastic tubes.Tom Kunich
  `- Re: Plastic tubes.Roger Merriman

1
Plastic tubes.

<3ac64c52-4deb-4aad-bd5c-58dbf99a66dan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93718&group=rec.bicycles.tech#93718

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 13:32:25 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Plastic tubes.
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 20:32 UTC

The way that they are marketing Chinese products now is to give you a delivery data 3 months out and then when you get the normal delivery time of 6 weeks you can't complain.

I got the plastic innertubes in and since I was putting a Goodyear 4 seasons on the back of the Ridley to add a little more flat protection, I installed one. These things are so slippery that it is difficult to get them to stay inside of the tire. So they keep sliding out a bit and you have to put the tire on over the edge of them but as soon as the tire flips over the edge the innertube pops into place without any pinching.

It inflated without and problems and although Andrew presumes that because the Vittoria TPU tubes cost $37 each they must be superior than the $4 Chinese tubes I bought, I have to tell you, I could not see how there could be any improvements. Seeing them I will now order a lot of them and at $4.00 each it seems to me to be well worth it.

Re: Plastic tubes.

<qkbXM.253461$0vAf.28324@fx11.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93762&group=rec.bicycles.tech#93762

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Plastic tubes.
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Meriman)
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 13:58:46 GMT
 by: Roger Meriman - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 13:58 UTC

Tom Kunich <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:
> The way that they are marketing Chinese products now is to give you a
> delivery data 3 months out and then when you get the normal delivery time
> of 6 weeks you can't complain.
>
> I got the plastic innertubes in and since I was putting a Goodyear 4
> seasons on the back of the Ridley to add a little more flat protection, I
> installed one. These things are so slippery that it is difficult to get
> them to stay inside of the tire. So they keep sliding out a bit and you
> have to put the tire on over the edge of them but as soon as the tire
> flips over the edge the innertube pops into place without any pinching.
>
> It inflated without and problems and although Andrew presumes that
> because the Vittoria TPU tubes cost $37 each they must be superior than
> the $4 Chinese tubes I bought, I have to tell you, I could not see how
> there could be any improvements. Seeing them I will now order a lot of
> them and at $4.00 each it seems to me to be well worth it.

TPU will outperform butyl tubes in rolling/weight though Latex are darn
close apparently! I’d with any very cheap product question it’s durability
ie how long it will last.

I found them just as easy to puncture. Slightly more slippery to mount but
fine.

As ever I suspect that you’re arguing a point not made by anyone, let alone
Andrew.

Roger Merriman

Re: Plastic tubes.

<ugjr9q$1ifil$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93776&group=rec.bicycles.tech#93776

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 13:18:49 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 17:18 UTC

On 10/16/2023 9:58 AM, Roger Meriman wrote:
> Tom Kunich <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The way that they are marketing Chinese products now is to give you a
>> delivery data 3 months out and then when you get the normal delivery time
>> of 6 weeks you can't complain.
>>
>> I got the plastic innertubes in and since I was putting a Goodyear 4
>> seasons on the back of the Ridley to add a little more flat protection, I
>> installed one. These things are so slippery that it is difficult to get
>> them to stay inside of the tire. So they keep sliding out a bit and you
>> have to put the tire on over the edge of them but as soon as the tire
>> flips over the edge the innertube pops into place without any pinching.
>>
>> It inflated without and problems and although Andrew presumes that
>> because the Vittoria TPU tubes cost $37 each they must be superior than
>> the $4 Chinese tubes I bought, I have to tell you, I could not see how
>> there could be any improvements. Seeing them I will now order a lot of
>> them and at $4.00 each it seems to me to be well worth it.
>>

> TPU will outperform butyl tubes in rolling/weight though Latex are darn
> close apparently! I’d with any very cheap product question it’s durability
> ie how long it will last.
>
> I found them just as easy to puncture. Slightly more slippery to mount but
> fine.
>
> As ever I suspect that you’re arguing a point not made by anyone, let alone
> Andrew.
>
> Roger Merriman

FWIW, this is another thread that is partially missing on Eternal
September via Thunderbird.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Plastic tubes.

<ugjsm1$1j30q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93777&group=rec.bicycles.tech#93777

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 12:42:26 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 17:42 UTC

On 10/16/2023 12:18 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 10/16/2023 9:58 AM, Roger Meriman wrote:
>> Tom Kunich <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The way that they are marketing Chinese products now is
>>> to give you a
>>> delivery data 3 months out and then when you get the
>>> normal delivery time
>>> of 6 weeks you can't complain.
>>>
>>> I got the plastic innertubes in and since I was putting a
>>> Goodyear 4
>>> seasons on the back of the Ridley to add a little more
>>> flat protection, I
>>> installed one. These things are so slippery that it is
>>> difficult to get
>>> them to stay inside of the tire. So they keep sliding out
>>> a bit and you
>>> have to put the tire on over the edge of them but as soon
>>> as the tire
>>> flips over the edge the innertube pops into place without
>>> any pinching.
>>>
>>> It inflated without and problems and although Andrew
>>> presumes that
>>> because the Vittoria TPU tubes cost $37 each they must be
>>> superior than
>>> the $4 Chinese tubes I bought, I have to tell you, I
>>> could not see how
>>> there could be any improvements.  Seeing them I will now
>>> order a lot of
>>> them and at $4.00 each it seems to me to be well worth it.
>>>

>> TPU will outperform butyl tubes in rolling/weight though
>> Latex are darn
>> close apparently! I’d with any very cheap product question
>> it’s durability
>> ie how long it will last.
>>
>> I found them just as easy to puncture. Slightly more
>> slippery to mount but
>> fine.
>>
>> As ever I suspect that you’re arguing a point not made by
>> anyone, let alone
>> Andrew.
>>
>> Roger Merriman
>
> FWIW, this is another thread that is partially missing on
> Eternal September via Thunderbird.

Huh. Same here. Now I see only Me Meriman's and yours, no
others. ISTR I read other comments which are now gone along
with my recent reply
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org

Re: Plastic tubes.

<H1fXM.138762$s52e.65501@fx04.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93780&group=rec.bicycles.tech#93780

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 18:11:51 GMT
 by: Roger Merriman - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 18:11 UTC

AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
> On 10/16/2023 12:18 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

>>> TPU will outperform butyl tubes in rolling/weight though
>>> Latex are darn
>>> close apparently! I’d with any very cheap product question
>>> it’s durability
>>> ie how long it will last.
>>>
>>> I found them just as easy to puncture. Slightly more
>>> slippery to mount but
>>> fine.
>>>
>>> As ever I suspect that you’re arguing a point not made by
>>> anyone, let alone
>>> Andrew.
>>>
>>> Roger Merriman
>>
>> FWIW, this is another thread that is partially missing on
>> Eternal September via Thunderbird.
>>

> Huh. Same here. Now I see only Me Meriman's and yours, no
> others. ISTR I read other comments which are now gone along
> with my recent reply

One of the reasons I gave up with Eternal September few years ago, just
flaked out too often.

Roger Merriman

Re: Plastic tubes.

<06vqiip2sgf5hos39luc7jbsalcog8dda1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93781&group=rec.bicycles.tech#93781

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 14:12:03 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 18:12 UTC

On Mon, 16 Oct 2023 12:42:26 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>On 10/16/2023 12:18 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

>>> TPU will outperform butyl tubes in rolling/weight though
>>> Latex are darn
>>> close apparently! I’d with any very cheap product question
>>> it’s durability
>>> ie how long it will last.
>>>
>>> I found them just as easy to puncture. Slightly more
>>> slippery to mount but
>>> fine.
>>>
>>> As ever I suspect that you’re arguing a point not made by
>>> anyone, let alone
>>> Andrew.
>>>
>>> Roger Merriman
>>
>> FWIW, this is another thread that is partially missing on
>> Eternal September via Thunderbird.
>>

>Huh. Same here. Now I see only Me Meriman's and yours, no
>others. ISTR I read other comments which are now gone along
>with my recent reply

Those three are all I see. I use Forte Agent.

Re: Plastic tubes.

<ugk4sh$2e72b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93794&group=rec.bicycles.tech#93794

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 13:02:23 -0700
 by: sms - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 20:02 UTC

On 10/16/2023 6:58 AM, Roger Meriman wrote:

<snip>

> TPU will outperform butyl tubes in rolling/weight though Latex are darn
> close apparently! I’d with any very cheap product question it’s durability
> ie how long it will last.
>
> I found them just as easy to puncture. Slightly more slippery to mount but
> fine.
>
> As ever I suspect that you’re arguing a point not made by anyone, let alone
> Andrew.
>
> Roger Merriman

Can you patch the TPU tubes or are they throwaway. I get butyl tubes
wholesale and am currently paying about $4.25 but haven't bought any in
about two years. During the pandemic many sizes went out of stock.

$4 retail is a good price for tubes, whether TPU or butyl. Kenda butyl
tubes ordered from China are about $4.25. In the U.S., the private label
"Concord" tubes at Walmart are $4.96.

--
“If you are not an expert on a subject, then your opinions about it
really do matter less than the opinions of experts. It's not

Re: Plastic tubes.

<ugk571$2911u$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93795&group=rec.bicycles.tech#93795

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 15:08:01 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 20:08 UTC

On 10/16/2023 3:02 PM, sms wrote:
> On 10/16/2023 6:58 AM, Roger Meriman wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> TPU will outperform butyl tubes in rolling/weight though
>> Latex are darn
>> close apparently! I’d with any very cheap product question
>> it’s durability
>> ie how long it will last.
>>
>> I found them just as easy to puncture. Slightly more
>> slippery to mount but
>> fine.
>>
>> As ever I suspect that you’re arguing a point not made by
>> anyone, let alone
>> Andrew.
>>
>> Roger Merriman
>
> Can you patch the TPU tubes or are they throwaway. I get
> butyl tubes wholesale and am currently paying about $4.25
> but haven't bought any in about two years. During the
> pandemic many sizes went out of stock.
>
> $4 retail is a good price for tubes, whether TPU or butyl.
> Kenda butyl tubes ordered from China are about $4.25. In the
> U.S., the private label "Concord" tubes at Walmart are $4.96.

I don't know (not only patching protocol; I don't know
anything about this current non-butyl tube product)

There are a gazillion different polymers with various
chemistry but the 1980s Panaracer version had its own
(optional not included) patch set:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikeforums.net-vbulletin/1600x1200/panaracer_poly_lite_tubes_ed5dd2e313a1cf56351d75e10f1a292cbc362d47.jpg

I assume the vendor offers some way to repair them but it's
unlikely to be things we typical riders have already.
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: Plastic tubes.

<2a61143f-decc-49a0-bbdf-5bb416ce9109n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93805&group=rec.bicycles.tech#93805

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 15:24:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 22:24 UTC

On Monday, October 16, 2023 at 1:08:05 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
> On 10/16/2023 3:02 PM, sms wrote:
> > On 10/16/2023 6:58 AM, Roger Meriman wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> >> TPU will outperform butyl tubes in rolling/weight though
> >> Latex are darn
> >> close apparently! I’d with any very cheap product question
> >> it’s durability
> >> ie how long it will last.
> >>
> >> I found them just as easy to puncture. Slightly more
> >> slippery to mount but
> >> fine.
> >>
> >> As ever I suspect that you’re arguing a point not made by
> >> anyone, let alone
> >> Andrew.
> >>
> >> Roger Merriman
> >
> > Can you patch the TPU tubes or are they throwaway. I get
> > butyl tubes wholesale and am currently paying about $4.25
> > but haven't bought any in about two years. During the
> > pandemic many sizes went out of stock.
> >
> > $4 retail is a good price for tubes, whether TPU or butyl.
> > Kenda butyl tubes ordered from China are about $4.25. In the
> > U.S., the private label "Concord" tubes at Walmart are $4.96.
> >
> I don't know (not only patching protocol; I don't know
> anything about this current non-butyl tube product)
>
> There are a gazillion different polymers with various
> chemistry but the 1980s Panaracer version had its own
> (optional not included) patch set:
>
> https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikeforums.net-vbulletin/1600x1200/panaracer_poly_lite_tubes_ed5dd2e313a1cf56351d75e10f1a292cbc362d47.jpg
>
> I assume the vendor offers some way to repair them but it's
> unlikely to be things we typical riders have already.
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> a...@yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Thanks for mentioning that. I ordered some self sticky patches for the TPU tubes.

Re: Plastic tubes.

<yujXM.281339$XBH2.73052@fx13.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=93807&group=rec.bicycles.tech#93807

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 23:15:42 GMT
 by: Roger Merriman - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 23:15 UTC

sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
> On 10/16/2023 6:58 AM, Roger Meriman wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> TPU will outperform butyl tubes in rolling/weight though Latex are darn
>> close apparently! I’d with any very cheap product question it’s durability
>> ie how long it will last.
>>
>> I found them just as easy to puncture. Slightly more slippery to mount but
>> fine.
>>
>> As ever I suspect that you’re arguing a point not made by anyone, let alone
>> Andrew.
>>
>> Roger Merriman
>
> Can you patch the TPU tubes or are they throwaway. I get butyl tubes
> wholesale and am currently paying about $4.25 but haven't bought any in
> about two years. During the pandemic many sizes went out of stock.

The Chinese stuff or rather the very cheap stuff? No idea but certainly
Your normal brands TPU do sell patch’s though how effective these are?

> $4 retail is a good price for tubes, whether TPU or butyl. Kenda butyl
> tubes ordered from China are about $4.25. In the U.S., the private label
> "Concord" tubes at Walmart are $4.96.

I can get lifeline ie own brand stuff for £4 but to be honest now the
Gravel bike is tubeless neither the MTB or commute bike use tubes, so if I
do I tend to buy local as well bike shop is useful to me. Same with brake
pads I can get cheaper online but I generally buy from them.

Roger Merriman