E Pluribus Unix

tech / sci.electronics.design / SLS weighs 10X Statue of Liberty

SubjectAuthor
* SLS weighs 10X Statue of LibertyMike Monett
+* Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of LibertyJan Panteltje
|+- Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of LibertyRicky
|`* Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of Libertyjlarkin
| +* Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of LibertyJan Panteltje
| |`* Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of Libertyjlarkin
| | `- Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of LibertyJan Panteltje
| `* Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of LibertyJeroen Belleman
|  `* Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of LibertyJohn Larkin
|   `* Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of LibertyPhil Hobbs
|    +- Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of LibertyRichD
|    `* Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of LibertyJohn Larkin
|     `* Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of LibertyPhil Hobbs
|      `* Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of LibertyMike Monett
|       `* Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of LibertyJeroen Belleman
|        `- Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of LibertyMike Monett
+- Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of LibertyRicky
+- Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of LibertyJan Panteltje
+- Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of LibertyDecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
`- Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of LibertySylvia Else

1
SLS weighs 10X Statue of Liberty

<XnsAE736426AB188idtokenpost@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94165&group=sci.electronics.design#94165

From: spa...@not.com (Mike Monett)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: SLS weighs 10X Statue of Liberty
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 13:50:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mike Monett - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 13:50 UTC

Interesting to note NASA's Space Launch System, the first moon rocket in 50
years, weighs 10 times the Statue of Liberty.

How much does SLS weigh?

5.75 million lbs
5.75e6/2000 = 2,875 tons

NASA's Space Launch System, or SLS, is ... Offering the highest-ever
payload mass and volume ... feet tall, higher than the Statue of
Liberty.

How much does the Statue of Liberty weigh in total?

450,000 pounds
450e3/2000 = 225 tons

The famed Statue of Liberty, located in New York harbor was
officially dedicated on October 28, 1886. The Statue has a 35-foot
waistline and weighs 450,000 pounds. Some facts: Total overall
height from the base of the pedestal foundation to the tip of the
torch is 305 feet, 6 inches.

Which only goes to show, if you have enough thrust, you can make anything
fly.

However, the huge cost of the SLS may get the program canceled by congress:

"Why NASA's Monster Moon Rocket Will Likely Be Cancelled"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIR7IBnpvSU

It is pointless to go to the moon. Space travel is lethal to humans. Cosmic
radiation and destruction of blood due to microgravity is fatal. Nobody is
going to travel to Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Pluto, or
anywhere else. Colonies on the Moon have no purpose. Space stations are a
waste of money. Manufacturing in zero gravity is too expensive and provides
little benefit over manufacturing on earth. Low earth orbit is needed for
GPS, communication, and earth observation, but these do not need humans for
operation. Send robots, such as the solar probe. We can use VR to
experience the trip.

Spend the money, ingenuity, and effort on solving problems on earth. Global
warming, pollution from fossil fuels, energy, conflict and violence,
inequality, global health, poverty, and many other issues threaten the
planet. These are much more important and demanding than sending a rocket
into orbit. The problem is we don't know how to solve them, but we must to
survive.

--
MRM

Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of Liberty

<t2phng$6hr$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94171&group=sci.electronics.design#94171

From: pNaonStp...@yahoo.com (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of Liberty
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 14:43:07 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.com/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 14:43 UTC

On a sunny day (Fri, 8 Apr 2022 13:50:55 -0000 (UTC)) it happened Mike Monett
<spamme@not.com> wrote in <XnsAE736426AB188idtokenpost@144.76.35.252>:

>Interesting to note NASA's Space Launch System, the first moon rocket in 50
>years, weighs 10 times the Statue of Liberty.
>
> How much does SLS weigh?
>
> 5.75 million lbs
> 5.75e6/2000 = 2,875 tons
>
> NASA's Space Launch System, or SLS, is ... Offering the highest-ever
> payload mass and volume ... feet tall, higher than the Statue of
> Liberty.
>
> How much does the Statue of Liberty weigh in total?
>
> 450,000 pounds
> 450e3/2000 = 225 tons
>
> The famed Statue of Liberty, located in New York harbor was
> officially dedicated on October 28, 1886. The Statue has a 35-foot
> waistline and weighs 450,000 pounds. Some facts: Total overall
> height from the base of the pedestal foundation to the tip of the
> torch is 305 feet, 6 inches.
>
>Which only goes to show, if you have enough thrust, you can make anything
>fly.
>
>However, the huge cost of the SLS may get the program canceled by congress:
>
>"Why NASA's Monster Moon Rocket Will Likely Be Cancelled"
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIR7IBnpvSU
>
>It is pointless to go to the moon. Space travel is lethal to humans. Cosmic
>radiation and destruction of blood due to microgravity is fatal. Nobody is
>going to travel to Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Pluto, or
>anywhere else.

We need to spread across the universe as the sun will one day engulf the earth.
There are plenty solutions to all those problems you mentioned,
political will is what is needed.
Or maybe we can send some self modifying DNA or RNA that will then create ape like
lifeforms on other planets :-)
Or are we?

Colonies on the Moon have no purpose. Space stations are a
>waste of money. Manufacturing in zero gravity is too expensive and provides
>little benefit over manufacturing on earth. Low earth orbit is needed for
>GPS, communication, and earth observation, but these do not need humans for
>operation. Send robots, such as the solar probe. We can use VR to
>experience the trip.
>
>Spend the money, ingenuity, and effort on solving problems on earth. Global
>warming, pollution from fossil fuels, energy, conflict and violence,
>inequality, global health, poverty, and many other issues threaten the
>planet. These are much more important and demanding than sending a rocket
>into orbit. The problem is we don't know how to solve them, but we must to
>survive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRHqs8SffDo

Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of Liberty

<28ba48d8-0e5e-4850-8be7-ff10c7112ae6n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94174&group=sci.electronics.design#94174

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 07:49:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Ricky)
 by: Ricky - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 14:49 UTC

On Friday, April 8, 2022 at 9:51:03 AM UTC-4, Mike Monett wrote:
> Interesting to note NASA's Space Launch System, the first moon rocket in 50
> years, weighs 10 times the Statue of Liberty.
>
> How much does SLS weigh?
>
> 5.75 million lbs
> 5.75e6/2000 = 2,875 tons
>
> NASA's Space Launch System, or SLS, is ... Offering the highest-ever
> payload mass and volume ... feet tall, higher than the Statue of
> Liberty.
>
> How much does the Statue of Liberty weigh in total?
>
> 450,000 pounds
> 450e3/2000 = 225 tons
>
> The famed Statue of Liberty, located in New York harbor was
> officially dedicated on October 28, 1886. The Statue has a 35-foot
> waistline and weighs 450,000 pounds. Some facts: Total overall
> height from the base of the pedestal foundation to the tip of the
> torch is 305 feet, 6 inches.
>
> Which only goes to show, if you have enough thrust, you can make anything
> fly.
>
> However, the huge cost of the SLS may get the program canceled by congress:
>
> "Why NASA's Monster Moon Rocket Will Likely Be Cancelled"
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIR7IBnpvSU
>
> It is pointless to go to the moon. Space travel is lethal to humans. Cosmic
> radiation and destruction of blood due to microgravity is fatal. Nobody is
> going to travel to Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Pluto, or
> anywhere else. Colonies on the Moon have no purpose. Space stations are a
> waste of money. Manufacturing in zero gravity is too expensive and provides
> little benefit over manufacturing on earth. Low earth orbit is needed for
> GPS, communication, and earth observation, but these do not need humans for
> operation. Send robots, such as the solar probe. We can use VR to
> experience the trip.
>
> Spend the money, ingenuity, and effort on solving problems on earth. Global
> warming, pollution from fossil fuels, energy, conflict and violence,
> inequality, global health, poverty, and many other issues threaten the
> planet. These are much more important and demanding than sending a rocket
> into orbit. The problem is we don't know how to solve them, but we must to
> survive.

No purpose???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8V2U7vTys0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P84NiVGJsw

You clearly don't appreciate entertainment!

Besides, what's so special about the human race that needs preserving? We seem hell bent on killing one another, or, failing that, dominating each other and inflicting as much grief on the rest of the world as humanly possible. Some do this by not sharing their toys, others by taking away someone else's toys. But the root is always the same. A lack of respect for others if not pure hatred.

If I were an alien race, I'd just pass this planet by.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of Liberty

<t2pi5q$a95$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94175&group=sci.electronics.design#94175

From: pNaonStp...@yahoo.com (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 14:50:45 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.com/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 14:50 UTC

On a sunny day (Fri, 8 Apr 2022 13:50:55 -0000 (UTC)) it happened Mike Monett
<spamme@not.com> wrote in <XnsAE736426AB188idtokenpost@144.76.35.252>:

>Interesting to note NASA's Space Launch System, the first moon rocket in 50
>years, weighs 10 times the Statue of Liberty.
>
> How much does SLS weigh?
>
> 5.75 million lbs
> 5.75e6/2000 = 2,875 tons
>
> NASA's Space Launch System, or SLS, is ... Offering the highest-ever
> payload mass and volume ... feet tall, higher than the Statue of
> Liberty.
>
> How much does the Statue of Liberty weigh in total?
>
> 450,000 pounds
> 450e3/2000 = 225 tons
>
> The famed Statue of Liberty, located in New York harbor was
> officially dedicated on October 28, 1886. The Statue has a 35-foot
> waistline and weighs 450,000 pounds. Some facts: Total overall
> height from the base of the pedestal foundation to the tip of the
> torch is 305 feet, 6 inches.
>
>Which only goes to show, if you have enough thrust, you can make anything
>fly.
>
>However, the huge cost of the SLS may get the program canceled by congress:
>
>"Why NASA's Monster Moon Rocket Will Likely Be Cancelled"
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIR7IBnpvSU

Maybe
lots of things are tried to get stuff into space
https://www.space.com/spinlaunch-nasa-suborbital-test-flight-agreement

Was thinking rail-gun and coil-gun, I mean to lauch from near vacuum like the moon

Have not heard much recreating mass or organism elsewhere, like 'beam them up Scotty'
I would volunteer for mars..
Just for fun and curiosity.

Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of Liberty

<26326274-852c-4beb-859e-c99b76dddbc2n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94176&group=sci.electronics.design#94176

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 07:52:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Ricky)
 by: Ricky - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 14:52 UTC

On Friday, April 8, 2022 at 10:44:07 AM UTC-4, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> On a sunny day (Fri, 8 Apr 2022 13:50:55 -0000 (UTC)) it happened Mike Monett
> <spa...@not.com> wrote in <XnsAE736426AB...@144.76.35.252>:
> >Interesting to note NASA's Space Launch System, the first moon rocket in 50
> >years, weighs 10 times the Statue of Liberty.
> >
> > How much does SLS weigh?
> >
> > 5.75 million lbs
> > 5.75e6/2000 = 2,875 tons
> >
> > NASA's Space Launch System, or SLS, is ... Offering the highest-ever
> > payload mass and volume ... feet tall, higher than the Statue of
> > Liberty.
> >
> > How much does the Statue of Liberty weigh in total?
> >
> > 450,000 pounds
> > 450e3/2000 = 225 tons
> >
> > The famed Statue of Liberty, located in New York harbor was
> > officially dedicated on October 28, 1886. The Statue has a 35-foot
> > waistline and weighs 450,000 pounds. Some facts: Total overall
> > height from the base of the pedestal foundation to the tip of the
> > torch is 305 feet, 6 inches.
> >
> >Which only goes to show, if you have enough thrust, you can make anything
> >fly.
> >
> >However, the huge cost of the SLS may get the program canceled by congress:
> >
> >"Why NASA's Monster Moon Rocket Will Likely Be Cancelled"
> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIR7IBnpvSU
> >
> >It is pointless to go to the moon. Space travel is lethal to humans. Cosmic
> >radiation and destruction of blood due to microgravity is fatal. Nobody is
> >going to travel to Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Pluto, or
> >anywhere else.
> We need to spread across the universe as the sun will one day engulf the earth.
> There are plenty solutions to all those problems you mentioned,
> political will is what is needed.

Political will is what has caused many of our problems. So you recommend "hair of the dog that bit you"?

> Or maybe we can send some self modifying DNA or RNA that will then create ape like
> lifeforms on other planets :-)
> Or are we?

Who cares? We live. We die. Not much changes. Especially in s.e.d.

--

Rick C.

+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of Liberty

<vfm05h9bkh1c1dhs2a0r8kcnam2ki5p4kg@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94182&group=sci.electronics.design#94182

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 08:55:47 -0700
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 15:55 UTC

On Fri, 08 Apr 2022 14:43:07 GMT, Jan Panteltje
<pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On a sunny day (Fri, 8 Apr 2022 13:50:55 -0000 (UTC)) it happened Mike Monett
><spamme@not.com> wrote in <XnsAE736426AB188idtokenpost@144.76.35.252>:
>
>>Interesting to note NASA's Space Launch System, the first moon rocket in 50
>>years, weighs 10 times the Statue of Liberty.
>>
>> How much does SLS weigh?
>>
>> 5.75 million lbs
>> 5.75e6/2000 = 2,875 tons
>>
>> NASA's Space Launch System, or SLS, is ... Offering the highest-ever
>> payload mass and volume ... feet tall, higher than the Statue of
>> Liberty.
>>
>> How much does the Statue of Liberty weigh in total?
>>
>> 450,000 pounds
>> 450e3/2000 = 225 tons
>>
>> The famed Statue of Liberty, located in New York harbor was
>> officially dedicated on October 28, 1886. The Statue has a 35-foot
>> waistline and weighs 450,000 pounds. Some facts: Total overall
>> height from the base of the pedestal foundation to the tip of the
>> torch is 305 feet, 6 inches.
>>
>>Which only goes to show, if you have enough thrust, you can make anything
>>fly.
>>
>>However, the huge cost of the SLS may get the program canceled by congress:
>>
>>"Why NASA's Monster Moon Rocket Will Likely Be Cancelled"
>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIR7IBnpvSU
>>
>>It is pointless to go to the moon. Space travel is lethal to humans. Cosmic
>>radiation and destruction of blood due to microgravity is fatal. Nobody is
>>going to travel to Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Pluto, or
>>anywhere else.
>

>We need to spread across the universe as the sun will one day engulf the earth.

Putting a few more bootprints on the moon won't help. NASA should do
something new and useful.

And why now? The sun isn't expanding very fast. Wait a few million
years and re-evaluate the situation.

--

I yam what I yam - Popeye

Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of Liberty

<t2po96$13j9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94185&group=sci.electronics.design#94185

From: Decadent...@decadence.org
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 16:35:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Decadent...@decadence.org - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 16:35 UTC

Mike Monett <spamme@not.com> wrote in news:XnsAE736426AB188idtokenpost@
144.76.35.252:

> . Send robots, such as the solar probe. We can use VR to
> experience the trip.

Send me. I die... no big loss. I live, countless data tid bits on
long term life on 1/6 gravity, which likely does not destroy blood
cells or reduce bone mass. Place it in the shadow of a crater rim
wall so the sun can be accessed for power generation and heating, yet
the station itself remains out of the light or radiation.

Send up modules for expansion of the original 'station'.
Actual useful elements come after, and there could be many.

The modules only need to be about 8 or 10 PSI to exist without a
suit. Outside excursions of course still require one.

I'm ready. Gave it thought most of my life. I am cheap. Cheaper
than a robot even. Far cheaper than years of training for an expensive
crew. They can come after they find out the effects on me.

Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of Liberty

<t2ppi4$7vm$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94191&group=sci.electronics.design#94191

From: pNaonStp...@yahoo.com (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 16:56:47 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.com/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 16:56 UTC

On a sunny day (Fri, 08 Apr 2022 08:55:47 -0700) it happened
jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in
<vfm05h9bkh1c1dhs2a0r8kcnam2ki5p4kg@4ax.com>:

>On Fri, 08 Apr 2022 14:43:07 GMT, Jan Panteltje
><pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>We need to spread across the universe as the sun will one day engulf the earth.
>
>Putting a few more bootprints on the moon won't help. NASA should do
>something new and useful.

Yes they should go to Mars .. Elon already has that plan.
Long ago NASA had nuclear propulsion to do the Mars trip in a few weeks
Politics and nuclear fear stopped it, greens...
Push plate nuclear existed too, small nukes detonated behind the spacecraft to push it forward.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_(nuclear_propulsion)

>And why now?

I only exist now
Tomorrow never comes.

The sun isn't expanding very fast. Wait a few million
>years and re-evaluate the situation.

Big comet could kill us all here like it did the Dinos or so that say,
Or WW3 could...
Do not put off till tomorrow what you can do today sort of jive,

Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of Liberty

<t2pqe7$453$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94192&group=sci.electronics.design#94192

From: jer...@nospam.please (Jeroen Belleman)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 19:12:39 +0200
 by: Jeroen Belleman - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 17:12 UTC

On 2022-04-08 17:55, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Apr 2022 14:43:07 GMT, Jan Panteltje
> <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On a sunny day (Fri, 8 Apr 2022 13:50:55 -0000 (UTC)) it happened Mike Monett
>> <spamme@not.com> wrote in <XnsAE736426AB188idtokenpost@144.76.35.252>:
>>
>>> Interesting to note NASA's Space Launch System, the first moon rocket in 50
>>> years, weighs 10 times the Statue of Liberty.
>>>
>>> How much does SLS weigh?
>>>
>>> 5.75 million lbs
>>> 5.75e6/2000 = 2,875 tons
>>>
>>> NASA's Space Launch System, or SLS, is ... Offering the highest-ever
>>> payload mass and volume ... feet tall, higher than the Statue of
>>> Liberty.
>>>
>>> How much does the Statue of Liberty weigh in total?
>>>
>>> 450,000 pounds
>>> 450e3/2000 = 225 tons
>>>
>>> The famed Statue of Liberty, located in New York harbor was
>>> officially dedicated on October 28, 1886. The Statue has a 35-foot
>>> waistline and weighs 450,000 pounds. Some facts: Total overall
>>> height from the base of the pedestal foundation to the tip of the
>>> torch is 305 feet, 6 inches.
>>>
>>> Which only goes to show, if you have enough thrust, you can make anything
>>> fly.
>>>
>>> However, the huge cost of the SLS may get the program canceled by congress:
>>>
>>> "Why NASA's Monster Moon Rocket Will Likely Be Cancelled"
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIR7IBnpvSU
>>>
>>> It is pointless to go to the moon. Space travel is lethal to humans. Cosmic
>>> radiation and destruction of blood due to microgravity is fatal. Nobody is
>>> going to travel to Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Pluto, or
>>> anywhere else.
>>

>> We need to spread across the universe as the sun will one day engulf the earth.
>
> Putting a few more bootprints on the moon won't help. NASA should do
> something new and useful.
>
> And why now? The sun isn't expanding very fast. Wait a few million
> years and re-evaluate the situation.

A few million? I'm panicking! Oh wait, it's a few _billion_. Phew. :-)

Jeroen Belleman

Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of Liberty

<3jr05htje3k22eevercksmt6jri9kuvte6@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94194&group=sci.electronics.design#94194

From: jlar...@highland_atwork_technology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 10:21:25 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 17:21 UTC

On Fri, 08 Apr 2022 19:12:39 +0200, Jeroen Belleman
<jeroen@nospam.please> wrote:

>On 2022-04-08 17:55, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>> On Fri, 08 Apr 2022 14:43:07 GMT, Jan Panteltje
>> <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> We need to spread across the universe as the sun will one day engulf the earth.
>>
>> Putting a few more bootprints on the moon won't help. NASA should do
>> something new and useful.
>>
>> And why now? The sun isn't expanding very fast. Wait a few million
>> years and re-evaluate the situation.
>>

>A few million? I'm panicking! Oh wait, it's a few _billion_. Phew. :-)
>
>Jeroen Belleman

What I meant is that our science and technology will be a lot better
in a million years or so. And if we're extinct by then, it doesn't
matter.

There have been serious suggestions that we could boost Earth to a
higher orbit. We almost have the technology to do that now.

--

If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end with doubts,
but if he will be content to begin with doubts he shall end in certainties.

Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of Liberty

<jbcq3oF1gs2U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94238&group=sci.electronics.design#94238

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 17:15:03 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 07:15 UTC

On 08-Apr-22 11:50 pm, Mike Monett wrote:
> Interesting to note NASA's Space Launch System, the first moon rocket in 50
> years, weighs 10 times the Statue of Liberty.

This is not very informative. The statue of liberty is hollow. Even an
engineer would have considerable difficulty estimating it mass without
detailed construction information.

The rest of us would have no chance.

Sylvia.

Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of Liberty

<h8535h1j3b5u12qolismpeqqcvfv1vr05a@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94259&group=sci.electronics.design#94259

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2022 07:17:44 -0700
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 14:17 UTC

On Fri, 08 Apr 2022 16:56:47 GMT, Jan Panteltje
<pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On a sunny day (Fri, 08 Apr 2022 08:55:47 -0700) it happened
>jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in
><vfm05h9bkh1c1dhs2a0r8kcnam2ki5p4kg@4ax.com>:
>
>>On Fri, 08 Apr 2022 14:43:07 GMT, Jan Panteltje
>><pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>We need to spread across the universe as the sun will one day engulf the earth.
>>
>>Putting a few more bootprints on the moon won't help. NASA should do
>>something new and useful.
>
>Yes they should go to Mars .. Elon already has that plan.

Why? We have robots on Mars already.

>Long ago NASA had nuclear propulsion to do the Mars trip in a few weeks
>Politics and nuclear fear stopped it, greens...
>Push plate nuclear existed too, small nukes detonated behind the spacecraft to push it forward.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_(nuclear_propulsion)
>
>>And why now?
>
>I only exist now
>Tomorrow never comes.
>

>The sun isn't expanding very fast. Wait a few million
>>years and re-evaluate the situation.
>
>Big comet could kill us all here like it did the Dinos or so that say,
>Or WW3 could...
>Do not put off till tomorrow what you can do today sort of jive,

NASA should be working on comet detection and deflection, which is
arguably useful. ISS could be a staging station for deflectors.

--

I yam what I yam - Popeye

Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of Liberty

<t2s69v$p8$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94260&group=sci.electronics.design#94260

From: pNaonStp...@yahoo.com (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2022 14:46:28 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.com/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 14:46 UTC

On a sunny day (Sat, 09 Apr 2022 07:17:44 -0700) it happened
jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in
<h8535h1j3b5u12qolismpeqqcvfv1vr05a@4ax.com>:

>On Fri, 08 Apr 2022 16:56:47 GMT, Jan Panteltje
><pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>On a sunny day (Fri, 08 Apr 2022 08:55:47 -0700) it happened
>>jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in
>><vfm05h9bkh1c1dhs2a0r8kcnam2ki5p4kg@4ax.com>:

>>>Putting a few more bootprints on the moon won't help. NASA should do
>>>something new and useful.
>>
>>Yes they should go to Mars .. Elon already has that plan.
>
>Why? We have robots on Mars already.
>

>>Long ago NASA had nuclear propulsion to do the Mars trip in a few weeks
>>Politics and nuclear fear stopped it, greens...
>>Push plate nuclear existed too, small nukes detonated behind the spacecraft to push it forward.
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_(nuclear_propulsion)
>>
>>>And why now?
>>
>>I only exist now
>>Tomorrow never comes.
>>

>>The sun isn't expanding very fast. Wait a few million
>>>years and re-evaluate the situation.
>>
>>Big comet could kill us all here like it did the Dinos or so that say,
>>Or WW3 could...
>>Do not put off till tomorrow what you can do today sort of jive,
>>

>NASA should be working on comet detection and deflection, which is
>arguably useful. ISS could be a staging station for deflectors.

More likely US will use it as high security prison (from movies I have seen).
:-)

Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of Liberty

<2ecbc3d6-e7fa-b9d7-efc6-59ddc10bec70@electrooptical.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94270&group=sci.electronics.design#94270

From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 13:50:57 -0400
 by: Phil Hobbs - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 17:50 UTC

On 4/8/22 1:21 PM, John Larkin wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Apr 2022 19:12:39 +0200, Jeroen Belleman
> <jeroen@nospam.please> wrote:
>
>> On 2022-04-08 17:55, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:

>>> Putting a few more bootprints on the moon won't help. NASA should do
>>> something new and useful.
>>>
>>> And why now? The sun isn't expanding very fast. Wait a few million
>>> years and re-evaluate the situation.
>>>

>> A few million? I'm panicking! Oh wait, it's a few _billion_. Phew. :-)
>>
>> Jeroen Belleman
>
> What I meant is that our science and technology will be a lot better
> in a million years or so. And if we're extinct by then, it doesn't
> matter.
>
> There have been serious suggestions that we could boost Earth to a
> higher orbit. We almost have the technology to do that now.

Well, fusion power has been 30 years out for what, 60 years now? ;)

Even with a very large fusion-powered rocket motor, it would be
challenging to do it without ejecting the atmosphere as well.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
https://hobbs-eo.com

Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of Liberty

<150a7424-9f84-4e5e-80d7-5c7a6b48ef04n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94273&group=sci.electronics.design#94273

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 11:30:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: r_delane...@yahoo.com (RichD)
 by: RichD - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 18:30 UTC

On April 9, Phil Hobbs wrote:
>> There have been serious suggestions that we could boost Earth to a
>> higher orbit. We almost have the technology to do that now.
>
> Even with a very large fusion-powered rocket motor, it would be
> challenging to do it without ejecting the atmosphere as well.

We'd need to do some serious magma pumping for the expulsion
material. But maybe in a billion years, Mother Nature will tire of
those annoying momentum conservation constraints -

Anyhow, a better idea is to deflect a few comet orbits into the earth -
bumper cars have inspired many an engineer -
But owners of beachfront property would probably whine about
that solution.

So why not a gravity slingshot? Deflect some comets and
asteroids into nearby orbits. Humanity saved by hydrogen bombs!

--
Rich

Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of Liberty

<hbh65hl4fdk22p6b34mobfkdagpvahle6a@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94323&group=sci.electronics.design#94323

From: jlar...@highland_atwork_technology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 14:05:51 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 21:05 UTC

On Sat, 9 Apr 2022 13:50:57 -0400, Phil Hobbs

>On 4/8/22 1:21 PM, John Larkin wrote:
>> On Fri, 08 Apr 2022 19:12:39 +0200, Jeroen Belleman
>> <jeroen@nospam.please> wrote:

>>> A few million? I'm panicking! Oh wait, it's a few _billion_. Phew. :-)
>>>
>>> Jeroen Belleman
>>
>> What I meant is that our science and technology will be a lot better
>> in a million years or so. And if we're extinct by then, it doesn't
>> matter.
>>
>> There have been serious suggestions that we could boost Earth to a
>> higher orbit. We almost have the technology to do that now.
>>

>Well, fusion power has been 30 years out for what, 60 years now? ;)
>
>Even with a very large fusion-powered rocket motor, it would be
>challenging to do it without ejecting the atmosphere as well.
>
>Cheers
>
>Phil Hobbs

The idea is to nudge a rock to swing past a bigger rock in the
asteroid belt. Do that a bunch of times and eventually swing an
asteroid in a hyperbolic loop past earth and transfer some momentum.
Do that for a million years or whatever.

That would take very little energy, just a good aim.

--

If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end with doubts,
but if he will be content to begin with doubts he shall end in certainties.
Francis Bacon

Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of Liberty

<f390b840-13e2-f508-270c-b02ae6f1c7fe@electrooptical.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94330&group=sci.electronics.design#94330

From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 18:50:00 -0400
 by: Phil Hobbs - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 22:50 UTC

John Larkin wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Apr 2022 13:50:57 -0400, Phil Hobbs
> <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote:
>
>> On 4/8/22 1:21 PM, John Larkin wrote:

>>> What I meant is that our science and technology will be a lot better
>>> in a million years or so. And if we're extinct by then, it doesn't
>>> matter.
>>>
>>> There have been serious suggestions that we could boost Earth to a
>>> higher orbit. We almost have the technology to do that now.
>>>

>> Well, fusion power has been 30 years out for what, 60 years now? ;)
>>
>> Even with a very large fusion-powered rocket motor, it would be
>> challenging to do it without ejecting the atmosphere as well.

> The idea is to nudge a rock to swing past a bigger rock in the
> asteroid belt. Do that a bunch of times and eventually swing an
> asteroid in a hyperbolic loop past earth and transfer some momentum.
> Do that for a million years or whatever.
>
> That would take very little energy, just a good aim.

Nope. The main asteroid belt orbits are several times further out than
the Earth's, so you have to get rid of most of the asteroid's kinetic
energy if you want to get its angular momentum low enough for it to
reach the orbit of the Earth.

Even then, I seriously doubt there's enough mass in the asteroid belt to
do much to the Earth's orbit.

This paper
<https://www.cambridge.org/core/services/aop-cambridge-core/content/view/S1743921315008388>
claims that the main asteroid belt has a mass of 1.2E-9 of the Sun's.

The solar mass is 2E30 kg, so the asteroid belt's is 2.4e21 kg. The
Earth's is 6e24 kg, so the ratio of the total mass of the asteroid belt
to that of the Earth is

ratio = 2.4e21 kg / 6e24 kg = 0.0004.

One can do orbital mechanics till one is blue in the face, and never
figure out a way to make the Earth's orbit grow by an amount more than a
few times that 400 ppm number.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of Liberty

<XnsAE75C18CD146Bidtokenpost@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94331&group=sci.electronics.design#94331

From: spa...@not.com (Mike Monett)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 23:01:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mike Monett - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 23:01 UTC

Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote:

> John Larkin wrote:
>> On Sat, 9 Apr 2022 13:50:57 -0400, Phil Hobbs
>> <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote:
[...]
> Nope. The main asteroid belt orbits are several times further out than
> the Earth's, so you have to get rid of most of the asteroid's kinetic
> energy if you want to get its angular momentum low enough for it to
> reach the orbit of the Earth.
>
> Even then, I seriously doubt there's enough mass in the asteroid belt to
> do much to the Earth's orbit.
>
> This paper
> <https://www.cambridge.org/core/services/aop-cambridge-core/content/view/
> S1743921315008388> claims that the main asteroid belt has a mass of
> 1.2E-9 of the Sun's.
>
> The solar mass is 2E30 kg, so the asteroid belt's is 2.4e21 kg. The
> Earth's is 6e24 kg, so the ratio of the total mass of the asteroid belt
> to that of the Earth is
>
> ratio = 2.4e21 kg / 6e24 kg = 0.0004.
>
> One can do orbital mechanics till one is blue in the face, and never
> figure out a way to make the Earth's orbit grow by an amount more than a
> few times that 400 ppm number.
>
> Cheers
>
> Phil Hobbs

You also have to include the moon. This is needed to stabilize the Earth's
spin. Quote:

"The Moon keeps the Earth from wobbling violently as it spins. �Without the
Moon the tilt of the Earth's axis would vary more, with potentially strong
climatic effects,� says Aksnes. With no moon as a stabilizer, the Earth
would sometimes tilt all the way over and lie on its side in relation to
its orbit around the Sun."

https://sciencenorway.no/forskningno-norway-planets/what-would-we-do-
without-the-moon/1433295

Perpetual daylight or darkness would have some effect on global warming and
climate.

--
MRM

Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of Liberty

<t30jrl$1naa$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94340&group=sci.electronics.design#94340

From: jer...@nospam.please (Jeroen Belleman)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 09:03:17 +0200
References: <XnsAE736426AB188idtokenpost@144.76.35.252> <t2phng$6hr$1@dont-email.me> <vfm05h9bkh1c1dhs2a0r8kcnam2ki5p4kg@4ax.com> <t2pqe7$453$1@gioia.aioe.org> <3jr05htje3k22eevercksmt6jri9kuvte6@4ax.com> <2ecbc3d6-e7fa-b9d7-efc6-59ddc10bec70@electrooptical.net> <hbh65hl4fdk22p6b34mobfkdagpvahle6a@4ax.com> <f390b840-13e2-f508-270c-b02ae6f1c7fe@electrooptical.net> <XnsAE75C18CD146Bidtokenpost@144.76.35.252>
 by: Jeroen Belleman - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 07:03 UTC

Mike Monett wrote:
> Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote:
>
>> John Larkin wrote:
>>> On Sat, 9 Apr 2022 13:50:57 -0400, Phil Hobbs
>>> <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote:
> [...]
>
>> Nope. The main asteroid belt orbits are several times further out than
>> the Earth's, so you have to get rid of most of the asteroid's kinetic
>> energy if you want to get its angular momentum low enough for it to
>> reach the orbit of the Earth.
>>
>> Even then, I seriously doubt there's enough mass in the asteroid belt to
>> do much to the Earth's orbit.
>>
>> This paper
>> <https://www.cambridge.org/core/services/aop-cambridge-core/content/view/
>> S1743921315008388> claims that the main asteroid belt has a mass of
>> 1.2E-9 of the Sun's.
>>
>> The solar mass is 2E30 kg, so the asteroid belt's is 2.4e21 kg. The
>> Earth's is 6e24 kg, so the ratio of the total mass of the asteroid belt
>> to that of the Earth is
>>
>> ratio = 2.4e21 kg / 6e24 kg = 0.0004.
>>
>> One can do orbital mechanics till one is blue in the face, and never
>> figure out a way to make the Earth's orbit grow by an amount more than a
>> few times that 400 ppm number.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Phil Hobbs
>
> You also have to include the moon. This is needed to stabilize the Earth's
> spin. [...]

I've seen that stated many times, without anyone ever even explaining
why that should be so. So, why would the earth wobble without the moon?

Jeroen Belleman

Re: SLS weighs 10X Statue of Liberty

<XnsAE765002564BAidtokenpost@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94348&group=sci.electronics.design#94348

From: spa...@not.com (Mike Monett)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 11:52:15 -0000 (UTC)
References: <XnsAE736426AB188idtokenpost@144.76.35.252> <t2phng$6hr$1@dont-email.me> <vfm05h9bkh1c1dhs2a0r8kcnam2ki5p4kg@4ax.com> <t2pqe7$453$1@gioia.aioe.org> <3jr05htje3k22eevercksmt6jri9kuvte6@4ax.com> <2ecbc3d6-e7fa-b9d7-efc6-59ddc10bec70@electrooptical.net> <hbh65hl4fdk22p6b34mobfkdagpvahle6a@4ax.com> <f390b840-13e2-f508-270c-b02ae6f1c7fe@electrooptical.net> <XnsAE75C18CD146Bidtokenpost@144.76.35.252> <t30jrl$1naa$1@gioia.aioe.org>
 by: Mike Monett - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 11:52 UTC

Jeroen Belleman <jeroen@nospam.please> wrote:

> Mike Monett wrote:
[...]
>> You also have to include the moon. This is needed to stabilize the
>> Earth's spin. [...]
>
> I've seen that stated many times, without anyone ever even explaining
> why that should be so. So, why would the earth wobble without the moon?
>
> Jeroen Belleman

Gravity, orbits and nonuniform mass distribution of Earth.

1. "The Moon: Required for Life on Earth"
https://www.icr.org/article/moon-required-for-life-on-earth

2. "Who Needs a Moon?"
https://www.science.org/content/article/who-needs-moon

3. "Earth's Stabilizing Moon May Be Unique Within Universe"
https://www.space.com/12464-earth-moon-unique-solar-system-universe.html

4. "The Past and the Future of the Earth-Moon System"
https://www.wondriumdaily.com/the-past-and-the-future-of-the-earth-moon-
system/

--
MRM