From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Spoke pattern... LIve and learn... No instruction needed...
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 06:52:57 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 10:52 UTC

I've put the new LBS wheel on the Catrike and disassembled the old
wheel. I measured the old rim's ERD using a pair of the old spokes I'd
removed, put it into my spoke length calculator and discovered the
suggested spoke lengths were 6mm less than the spokes I took off.

That made no sense since the new hub I'd used in my spoke length
calculator measured the same as the one I'd just disassembled. Not
content to simply order the size of the old spokes, I had to find my
mistake before I could order spokes.

Inspecting one of the Catrike's front wheels and the LBS supplied
wheel, which I had thought to use a 2 cross patttern, I realized that
I'd missed the first cross which takes place within the diameter of
the hub's flange. (smacks forehead) All the Catrike's wheels,
including the one I'm going to build are 3 cross patterns.

I entered that into my spoke length calculator and it's a perfect
match. On with the rebuild.

Re: Spoke pattern... LIve and learn... No instruction needed...

<uhge75$29jes$7@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94426&group=rec.bicycles.tech#94426

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 08:33:26 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 13:33 UTC

On 10/27/2023 5:52 AM, Catrike Rider wrote:

> I've put the new LBS wheel on the Catrike and disassembled the old
> wheel. I measured the old rim's ERD using a pair of the old spokes I'd
> removed, put it into my spoke length calculator and discovered the
> suggested spoke lengths were 6mm less than the spokes I took off.
>
> That made no sense since the new hub I'd used in my spoke length
> calculator measured the same as the one I'd just disassembled. Not
> content to simply order the size of the old spokes, I had to find my
> mistake before I could order spokes.
>
> Inspecting one of the Catrike's front wheels and the LBS supplied
> wheel, which I had thought to use a 2 cross patttern, I realized that
> I'd missed the first cross which takes place within the diameter of
> the hub's flange. (smacks forehead) All the Catrike's wheels,
> including the one I'm going to build are 3 cross patterns.
>
> I entered that into my spoke length calculator and it's a perfect
> match. On with the rebuild.

Thanks for that.
2x seemed unusual at best.
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org

Re: Spoke pattern... LIve and learn... No instruction needed...

<8nfnji5fb0lan4non278bmtvepqh0m21rf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94427&group=rec.bicycles.tech#94427

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 10:33:13 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 14:33 UTC

On Fri, 27 Oct 2023 08:33:26 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>On 10/27/2023 5:52 AM, Catrike Rider wrote:
>>
>> I've put the new LBS wheel on the Catrike and disassembled the old
>> wheel. I measured the old rim's ERD using a pair of the old spokes I'd
>> removed, put it into my spoke length calculator and discovered the
>> suggested spoke lengths were 6mm less than the spokes I took off.
>>
>> That made no sense since the new hub I'd used in my spoke length
>> calculator measured the same as the one I'd just disassembled. Not
>> content to simply order the size of the old spokes, I had to find my
>> mistake before I could order spokes.
>>
>> Inspecting one of the Catrike's front wheels and the LBS supplied
>> wheel, which I had thought to use a 2 cross patttern, I realized that
>> I'd missed the first cross which takes place within the diameter of
>> the hub's flange. (smacks forehead) All the Catrike's wheels,
>> including the one I'm going to build are 3 cross patterns.
>>
>> I entered that into my spoke length calculator and it's a perfect
>> match. On with the rebuild.
>>

>Thanks for that.
>2x seemed unusual at best.

I should have looked closer when you said the 2x was uncommon.

Two interesting facts:

1) My wife's Catrike Pocket has 16" wheels on the front and they are
definitely 2X

2) Some of the spokes from the old 559 wheel had significant wear at
the middle crossing. As I mentioned before, the Catrike doesn't lean
when cornering so there's significant lateral force on the wheels.

I'll look for spoke wear on the 20" front wheels and see if I need to
relace them. The front hubs have cartridge bearing and won't need
replacing.

Re: Spoke pattern... LIve and learn... No instruction needed...

<uhgjuh$2autu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94433&group=rec.bicycles.tech#94433

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 10:11:13 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 15:11 UTC

On 10/27/2023 9:33 AM, Catrike Rider wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Oct 2023 08:33:26 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
>
>> On 10/27/2023 5:52 AM, Catrike Rider wrote:
>>>
>>> I've put the new LBS wheel on the Catrike and disassembled the old
>>> wheel. I measured the old rim's ERD using a pair of the old spokes I'd
>>> removed, put it into my spoke length calculator and discovered the
>>> suggested spoke lengths were 6mm less than the spokes I took off.
>>>
>>> That made no sense since the new hub I'd used in my spoke length
>>> calculator measured the same as the one I'd just disassembled. Not
>>> content to simply order the size of the old spokes, I had to find my
>>> mistake before I could order spokes.
>>>
>>> Inspecting one of the Catrike's front wheels and the LBS supplied
>>> wheel, which I had thought to use a 2 cross patttern, I realized that
>>> I'd missed the first cross which takes place within the diameter of
>>> the hub's flange. (smacks forehead) All the Catrike's wheels,
>>> including the one I'm going to build are 3 cross patterns.
>>>
>>> I entered that into my spoke length calculator and it's a perfect
>>> match. On with the rebuild.
>>>

>> Thanks for that.
>> 2x seemed unusual at best.
>
> I should have looked closer when you said the 2x was uncommon.
>
> Two interesting facts:
>
> 1) My wife's Catrike Pocket has 16" wheels on the front and they are
> definitely 2X
>
> 2) Some of the spokes from the old 559 wheel had significant wear at
> the middle crossing. As I mentioned before, the Catrike doesn't lean
> when cornering so there's significant lateral force on the wheels.
>
> I'll look for spoke wear on the 20" front wheels and see if I need to
> relace them. The front hubs have cartridge bearing and won't need
> replacing.

16 inch wheels (and 12) are dynamically different in that
the rim section compared to diameter makes them much more
rigid than 'full size' wheels. Also human hands being what
they are, 3x is a real fight on a 16" !
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: Spoke pattern... LIve and learn... No instruction needed...

<m9lnjipa4f9iqlr5bsvm6s7eipm38dq3ud@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94438&group=rec.bicycles.tech#94438

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 11:24:40 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 15:24 UTC

On Fri, 27 Oct 2023 10:11:13 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>On 10/27/2023 9:33 AM, Catrike Rider wrote:

>>> Thanks for that.
>>> 2x seemed unusual at best.
>>
>> I should have looked closer when you said the 2x was uncommon.
>>
>> Two interesting facts:
>>
>> 1) My wife's Catrike Pocket has 16" wheels on the front and they are
>> definitely 2X
>>
>> 2) Some of the spokes from the old 559 wheel had significant wear at
>> the middle crossing. As I mentioned before, the Catrike doesn't lean
>> when cornering so there's significant lateral force on the wheels.
>>
>> I'll look for spoke wear on the 20" front wheels and see if I need to
>> relace them. The front hubs have cartridge bearing and won't need
>> replacing.
>>

>16 inch wheels (and 12) are dynamically different in that
>the rim section compared to diameter makes them much more
>rigid than 'full size' wheels. Also human hands being what
>they are, 3x is a real fight on a 16" !

Very tight space. I can't even get my spoke tension measure on the
16s, but she only uses it indoors on rollers, anyway. Her back tire
is a 20"