From Sharp minds come... pointed heads. -- Bryan Sparrowhawk

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: TSMC

SubjectAuthor
* TSMCDon Y
+* Re: TSMCJan Panteltje
|`* Re: TSMCJeroen Belleman
| `- Re: TSMCJan Panteltje
+* Re: TSMCEd Lee
|`- Re: TSMCDon Y
+- Re: TSMCRicky
+* Re: TSMCantispam
|`- Re: TSMCDon Y
`* Re: TSMCChris Jones
 `* Re: TSMCDon Y
  `* Re: TSMCboB
   `* Re: TSMCDon Y
    `* Re: TSMCboB
     `- Re: TSMCDon Y

1
TSMC

<t2p7l6$m9q$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94156&group=sci.electronics.design#94156

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: TSMC
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 04:51:52 -0700
 by: Don Y - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 11:51 UTC

Where does TSMC's *primary* "value" as a semiconductor supplier lie:
- equipment
- technology
- personnel
- "volume"

I.e., in the event China went after Taiwan, would you bemoan the loss
of the equipment, know-how, staff or "capacity"?

Said another way, how *replaceable* is TSMC (given some practical
timeframe)? I.e., do all of its capabilities already lie in the
West -- but at a reduced scale/volume? Would airlifting personnel
do the trick? etc.

The other aspect of that question is: how likely would China be
able to exploit TSMC's abilities if:
- the equipment was sabotaged (or relied on parts from The West)
- the staff (quickly) emigrated
etc.

Re: TSMC

<t2p994$l4r$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94159&group=sci.electronics.design#94159

From: pNaonStp...@yahoo.com (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: TSMC
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 12:18:55 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.com/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 12:18 UTC

On a sunny day (Fri, 8 Apr 2022 04:51:52 -0700) it happened Don Y
<blockedofcourse@foo.invalid> wrote in <t2p7l6$m9q$1@dont-email.me>:

>Where does TSMC's *primary* "value" as a semiconductor supplier lie:
>- equipment
>- technology
>- personnel
>- "volume"
>
>I.e., in the event China went after Taiwan, would you bemoan the loss
>of the equipment, know-how, staff or "capacity"?
>
>Said another way, how *replaceable* is TSMC (given some practical
>timeframe)? I.e., do all of its capabilities already lie in the
>West -- but at a reduced scale/volume? Would airlifting personnel
>do the trick? etc.
>
>The other aspect of that question is: how likely would China be
>able to exploit TSMC's abilities if:
>- the equipment was sabotaged (or relied on parts from The West)
>- the staff (quickly) emigrated
>etc.

TMSC (here in the Netherlands) WANTD to sell to China,
but US threatened it not to.

US Mafia
Now they get behind they fear other countries more and more.
Failing empire.
:-)

Re: TSMC

<9f53d76a-755f-4762-a843-5c7fa056b7afn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94160&group=sci.electronics.design#94160

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 05:29:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: edward.m...@gmail.com (Ed Lee)
 by: Ed Lee - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 12:29 UTC

On Friday, April 8, 2022 at 4:52:13 AM UTC-7, Don Y wrote:
> Where does TSMC's *primary* "value" as a semiconductor supplier lie:
> - equipment
> - technology
> - personnel
> - "volume"
>
> I.e., in the event China went after Taiwan, would you bemoan the loss
> of the equipment, know-how, staff or "capacity"?
>
> Said another way, how *replaceable* is TSMC (given some practical
> timeframe)? I.e., do all of its capabilities already lie in the
> West -- but at a reduced scale/volume? Would airlifting personnel
> do the trick? etc.
>
> The other aspect of that question is: how likely would China be
> able to exploit TSMC's abilities if:
> - the equipment was sabotaged (or relied on parts from The West)
> - the staff (quickly) emigrated
> etc.

It's the continue development of personnel/people. China brought some of the key people of TSMC before, but without the right environment, they stop developing.

Re: TSMC

<t2pfj2$m1r$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94167&group=sci.electronics.design#94167

From: jer...@nospam.please (Jeroen Belleman)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 16:07:30 +0200
 by: Jeroen Belleman - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 14:07 UTC

On 2022-04-08 14:18, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> On a sunny day (Fri, 8 Apr 2022 04:51:52 -0700) it happened Don Y
> <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid> wrote in <t2p7l6$m9q$1@dont-email.me>:
>
>> Where does TSMC's *primary* "value" as a semiconductor supplier lie:
>> - equipment
>> - technology
>> - personnel
>> - "volume"
>>
>> I.e., in the event China went after Taiwan, would you bemoan the loss
>> of the equipment, know-how, staff or "capacity"?
>>
>> Said another way, how *replaceable* is TSMC (given some practical
>> timeframe)? I.e., do all of its capabilities already lie in the
>> West -- but at a reduced scale/volume? Would airlifting personnel
>> do the trick? etc.
>>
>> The other aspect of that question is: how likely would China be
>> able to exploit TSMC's abilities if:
>> - the equipment was sabotaged (or relied on parts from The West)
>> - the staff (quickly) emigrated
>> etc.
>
> TMSC (here in the Netherlands) WANTD to sell to China,
> but US threatened it not to.

That would have been ASML, no?

> [...]

Jeroen Belleman

Re: TSMC

<a1ca7867-e52c-4b34-a116-2f762d798912n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94169&group=sci.electronics.design#94169

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 07:37:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Ricky)
 by: Ricky - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 14:37 UTC

On Friday, April 8, 2022 at 7:52:13 AM UTC-4, Don Y wrote:
> Where does TSMC's *primary* "value" as a semiconductor supplier lie:
> - equipment
> - technology
> - personnel
> - "volume"
>
> I.e., in the event China went after Taiwan, would you bemoan the loss
> of the equipment, know-how, staff or "capacity"?
>
> Said another way, how *replaceable* is TSMC (given some practical
> timeframe)? I.e., do all of its capabilities already lie in the
> West -- but at a reduced scale/volume? Would airlifting personnel
> do the trick? etc.
>
> The other aspect of that question is: how likely would China be
> able to exploit TSMC's abilities if:
> - the equipment was sabotaged (or relied on parts from The West)
> - the staff (quickly) emigrated
> etc.

This is an odd question as it would only apply to those who are actually customers of TSMC. To the rest of us, what is important is obtaining chips from the companies who *are* customers of TSMC. We don't have the insight as to what the issues of production might be or how to mitigate them. We could only speculate with little real insight. In other words, a perfect s.e.d question.

I expect TSMC's most important aspect is the institutional knowledge of making chips at the newest process nodes. I don't think China would be able to take over the plants and make anything important without full cooperation of the key employees. I don't think sabotage is required. The process is delicate/fragile enough to be broken easily by simply not knowing what you are doing.

I believe that an invasion of Taiwan by China would have *much* more severe impact on the world than anything going on in the Ukraine, neon gas or not.. Taiwan's semiconductor industry is much harder to replace.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: TSMC

<t2phc4$3ps$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94170&group=sci.electronics.design#94170

From: pNaonStp...@yahoo.com (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 14:36:59 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.com/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 14:36 UTC

On a sunny day (Fri, 08 Apr 2022 16:07:30 +0200) it happened Jeroen Belleman
<jeroen@nospam.please> wrote in <t2pfj2$m1r$1@gioia.aioe.org>:

>On 2022-04-08 14:18, Jan Panteltje wrote:
>> On a sunny day (Fri, 8 Apr 2022 04:51:52 -0700) it happened Don Y
>> <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid> wrote in <t2p7l6$m9q$1@dont-email.me>:
>>
>>> Where does TSMC's *primary* "value" as a semiconductor supplier lie:
>>> - equipment
>>> - technology
>>> - personnel
>>> - "volume"
>>>
>>> I.e., in the event China went after Taiwan, would you bemoan the loss
>>> of the equipment, know-how, staff or "capacity"?
>>>
>>> Said another way, how *replaceable* is TSMC (given some practical
>>> timeframe)? I.e., do all of its capabilities already lie in the
>>> West -- but at a reduced scale/volume? Would airlifting personnel
>>> do the trick? etc.
>>>
>>> The other aspect of that question is: how likely would China be
>>> able to exploit TSMC's abilities if:
>>> - the equipment was sabotaged (or relied on parts from The West)
>>> - the staff (quickly) emigrated
>>> etc.
>>
>> TMSC (here in the Netherlands) WANTD to sell to China,
>> but US threatened it not to.
>
>That would have been ASML, no?

Yes of course, my error

Re: TSMC

<t2qhs2$1ph0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94210&group=sci.electronics.design#94210

From: antis...@math.uni.wroc.pl
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 23:52:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: antis...@math.uni.wroc.pl - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 23:52 UTC

Don Y <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid> wrote:
> Where does TSMC's *primary* "value" as a semiconductor supplier lie:
> - equipment
> - technology
> - personnel
> - "volume"
>
> I.e., in the event China went after Taiwan, would you bemoan the loss
> of the equipment, know-how, staff or "capacity"?

That is wrong question. AFAICS TSMC "value" is a a whole: all
ingredients are there and it works _now_.

> Said another way, how *replaceable* is TSMC (given some practical
> timeframe)? I.e., do all of its capabilities already lie in the
> West -- but at a reduced scale/volume? Would airlifting personnel
> do the trick? etc.

Of course TSMC is replaceable, this is just matter of time. IIUC
current estimate is that China needs about 10 years to catch up
to TMSC and this time is mostly due to western embargo. Building
advanced fab seem to be about 3 years (but possibly another 2 before
initial troubles are worked out and fab operates smootly at full
capacity).

IIUC at most advanced process Samsung has similar capability.
Much of production is on older processes, and those are available
in several fabs outside Taiwan.

> The other aspect of that question is: how likely would China be
> able to exploit TSMC's abilities if:
> - the equipment was sabotaged (or relied on parts from The West)
> - the staff (quickly) emigrated
> etc.

IIUC China has know-how and people capable of operating such a fab.
ATM China is not capable of making some of needed equipment.
If crucial equipment was destroyed, then fab probably would be
useless to China. If equipment was merely faulty, there is
some chance that China would be able to repair it. There
are consumables (notably photoresist and pure chemicals)
needed to operate such a plant. I am not sure if China _now_
can make all of them.

Without smooth transition almost surely there would be some dip
in production.

OTOH if China is smart and can learn from history they will not
attack Taiwan in next few years. ATM China is probably first
industrial power in the world, but they are depenedent on trade.
And currently China is too weak to protect its trade from
hostile US actions (like naval blockade). So if they are
smart they will wait till they have stronger position.

--
Waldek Hebisch

Re: TSMC

<t2quuu$gdh$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94227&group=sci.electronics.design#94227

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 20:35:12 -0700
 by: Don Y - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 03:35 UTC

On 4/8/2022 4:52 PM, antispam@math.uni.wroc.pl wrote:
> Don Y <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid> wrote:
>> Where does TSMC's *primary* "value" as a semiconductor supplier lie:
>> - equipment
>> - technology
>> - personnel
>> - "volume"
>>
>> I.e., in the event China went after Taiwan, would you bemoan the loss
>> of the equipment, know-how, staff or "capacity"?
>
> That is wrong question. AFAICS TSMC "value" is a a whole: all
> ingredients are there and it works _now_.

So, by that reasoning, ANYTHING China might do would irreparably
damage TSMC.

Any staff who were demotivated (or executed for not performing
to the level required by The People), any equipment damaged or
rendered ineffective due to parts/supplies, etc.

I can't believe that TSMC has a monopoly on fab.

Rather, I suspect that they represent *capacity* at *lower cost*.
And, that any loss of capacity there would be compensated for, over
time, elsewhere.

The question becomes one of what limits the rate at which that
capacity can be restored: the lack of "spare" equipment?
the lack of staff to operate same? cost of that labor/materials?

E.g., the US has now started to reinvest in semiconductor fab.
No doubt, the cost per item will be higher than at TSMC simply
due to differences in labor/operating rates. But, there's no
"secret recipe" that is at risk of being lost if TSMC (effectively)
closed its doors.

>> Said another way, how *replaceable* is TSMC (given some practical
>> timeframe)? I.e., do all of its capabilities already lie in the
>> West -- but at a reduced scale/volume? Would airlifting personnel
>> do the trick? etc.
>
> Of course TSMC is replaceable, this is just matter of time. IIUC
> current estimate is that China needs about 10 years to catch up
> to TMSC and this time is mostly due to western embargo. Building
> advanced fab seem to be about 3 years (but possibly another 2 before
> initial troubles are worked out and fab operates smootly at full
> capacity).

That suggests there is value in the *equipment*. But, ignores the
expertise/experience provided by the existing staff.

> IIUC at most advanced process Samsung has similar capability.
> Much of production is on older processes, and those are available
> in several fabs outside Taiwan.
>
>> The other aspect of that question is: how likely would China be
>> able to exploit TSMC's abilities if:
>> - the equipment was sabotaged (or relied on parts from The West)
>> - the staff (quickly) emigrated
>> etc.
>
> IIUC China has know-how and people capable of operating such a fab.
> ATM China is not capable of making some of needed equipment.
> If crucial equipment was destroyed, then fab probably would be
> useless to China. If equipment was merely faulty, there is
> some chance that China would be able to repair it. There
> are consumables (notably photoresist and pure chemicals)
> needed to operate such a plant. I am not sure if China _now_
> can make all of them.
>
> Without smooth transition almost surely there would be some dip
> in production.

OTOH, if China were to undertake such an "expansion adventure"
and be met by the same sort of sanctions that Putin is suffering,
there may not be much *need* for that large of a fab (if it is
only supplying domestic demand)

> OTOH if China is smart and can learn from history they will not
> attack Taiwan in next few years. ATM China is probably first
> industrial power in the world, but they are depenedent on trade.

They rely on an inflow of currency to pay for the upgrades
they've not undertaken in their "ancient" society. They
likewise also rely on western tech (and education) to
further those goals. What cost to their plans if, for
example, all chinese students were expelled from western
schools (in the event china becomes a pariah)?

> And currently China is too weak to protect its trade from
> hostile US actions (like naval blockade). So if they are
> smart they will wait till they have stronger position.

Re: TSMC

<t2qv7h$htp$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94228&group=sci.electronics.design#94228

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 20:40:10 -0700
 by: Don Y - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 03:40 UTC

On 4/8/2022 5:29 AM, Ed Lee wrote:
> On Friday, April 8, 2022 at 4:52:13 AM UTC-7, Don Y wrote:

>> The other aspect of that question is: how likely would China be able to
>> exploit TSMC's abilities if: - the equipment was sabotaged (or relied on
>> parts from The West) - the staff (quickly) emigrated etc.
>
> It's the continue development of personnel/people. China brought some of
> the key people of TSMC before, but without the right environment, they stop
> developing.

That's not to say that Draconian measures couldn't "entice" them to be
more productive.

NKorea seems to have no problem getting advanced munitions technology.
Possibly some of that is "carrot-based" (better living conditions for
those individuals who "produce") and I imagine a fair bit of "stick-based"
(no "rule of law" to fall back on if you feel yourself "unduly pressured").

Re: TSMC

<weh4K.1203000$Z91.590000@fx03.ams4>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94261&group=sci.electronics.design#94261

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: lugnut...@spam.yahoo.com (Chris Jones)
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 01:02:46 +1000
 by: Chris Jones - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 15:02 UTC

On 08/04/2022 21:51, Don Y wrote:
> Where does TSMC's *primary* "value" as a semiconductor supplier lie:
> - equipment
> - technology
> - personnel
> - "volume"
>
> I.e., in the event China went after Taiwan, would you bemoan the loss
> of the equipment, know-how, staff or "capacity"?
>
> Said another way, how *replaceable* is TSMC (given some practical
> timeframe)?  I.e., do all of its capabilities already lie in the
> West -- but at a reduced scale/volume?  Would airlifting personnel
> do the trick?  etc.

Even if there is a process at another fab that has the same approximate
capabilities as a particular process at TSMC, the exact characteristics
of the devices will differ so that for anything with analog parts (adc,
pll, high speed serdes etc.), the circuit design will need to be
altered, by hand, and re-simulated. The design rules will be at least
subtly different, so that even if an analog circuit still works in
simulation, its layout will generally need to be redone. This would take
many months per part (and the people who designed those products may not
work there any more, figuring out how the old product worked is not
trivial), and a several semiconductor companies would have many hundreds
of parts made by TSMC. Some customers (automotive, medical etc.) would
also not accept the new design as being equivalent to the old one, so
there would be another delay to qualify the new parts at the customers.

Re: TSMC

<t2semd$8dd$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94267&group=sci.electronics.design#94267

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 10:10:20 -0700
 by: Don Y - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 17:10 UTC

On 4/9/2022 8:02 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
> On 08/04/2022 21:51, Don Y wrote:
>> Where does TSMC's *primary* "value" as a semiconductor supplier lie:
>> - equipment
>> - technology
>> - personnel
>> - "volume"
>>
>> I.e., in the event China went after Taiwan, would you bemoan the loss
>> of the equipment, know-how, staff or "capacity"?
>>
>> Said another way, how *replaceable* is TSMC (given some practical
>> timeframe)? I.e., do all of its capabilities already lie in the
>> West -- but at a reduced scale/volume? Would airlifting personnel
>> do the trick? etc.
>
> Even if there is a process at another fab that has the same approximate
> capabilities as a particular process at TSMC, the exact characteristics of the
> devices will differ so that for anything with analog parts (adc, pll, high
> speed serdes etc.), the circuit design will need to be altered, by hand, and
> re-simulated. The design rules will be at least subtly different, so that even
> if an analog circuit still works in simulation, its layout will generally need
> to be redone. This would take many months per part (and the people who designed
> those products may not work there any more, figuring out how the old product
> worked is not trivial), and a several semiconductor companies would have many
> hundreds of parts made by TSMC. Some customers (automotive, medical etc.) would
> also not accept the new design as being equivalent to the old one, so there
> would be another delay to qualify the new parts at the customers.

But all that is true of *any* foundry. It's not like they have
the only 5nm process or are the only fab that can handle mixed-mode
or...

Their strength appears to lie in capacity (though less than Samsung
in terms of wafers produced). And, possibly *price* (?).

I.e., if they suddenly closed up shop (or WERE closed up), the industry
would recover, after a delay (as it will re: covid).

The announcement of new fabs in the US (including TSMC) suggests that
economics was the previous driving force; entice manufacturers with
subsidies and they "suddenly" see the merit of building domestic
installations. The bottleneck of qualified personnel and kit just
inserts a delay in that schedule (but it takes time to start ANY
business operation).

[I believe Intel is adding two plants to its AZ location -- along with
TSMC increasing its investment, here. The question (for the industry
as a whole) then boils down to how "general purpose" those fabs may
end up being. E.g., Micron is likely not going to be producing
bleeding edge *processors* -- for ANY of its clients!]

Re: TSMC

<4h9c5h5855rseg6j8uoaot9og8tmt75kpl@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94408&group=sci.electronics.design#94408

From: boB...@K7IQ.com (boB)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 18:25:51 -0700
 by: boB - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 01:25 UTC

On Sat, 9 Apr 2022 10:10:20 -0700, Don Y <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid>
wrote:

>On 4/9/2022 8:02 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
>> On 08/04/2022 21:51, Don Y wrote:
>>> Where does TSMC's *primary* "value" as a semiconductor supplier lie:
>>> - equipment
>>> - technology
>>> - personnel
>>> - "volume"
>>>
>>> I.e., in the event China went after Taiwan, would you bemoan the loss
>>> of the equipment, know-how, staff or "capacity"?
>>>
>>> Said another way, how *replaceable* is TSMC (given some practical
>>> timeframe)? I.e., do all of its capabilities already lie in the
>>> West -- but at a reduced scale/volume? Would airlifting personnel
>>> do the trick? etc.
>>
>> Even if there is a process at another fab that has the same approximate
>> capabilities as a particular process at TSMC, the exact characteristics of the
>> devices will differ so that for anything with analog parts (adc, pll, high
>> speed serdes etc.), the circuit design will need to be altered, by hand, and
>> re-simulated. The design rules will be at least subtly different, so that even
>> if an analog circuit still works in simulation, its layout will generally need
>> to be redone. This would take many months per part (and the people who designed
>> those products may not work there any more, figuring out how the old product
>> worked is not trivial), and a several semiconductor companies would have many
>> hundreds of parts made by TSMC. Some customers (automotive, medical etc.) would
>> also not accept the new design as being equivalent to the old one, so there
>> would be another delay to qualify the new parts at the customers.
>
>But all that is true of *any* foundry. It's not like they have
>the only 5nm process or are the only fab that can handle mixed-mode
>or...
>
>Their strength appears to lie in capacity (though less than Samsung
>in terms of wafers produced). And, possibly *price* (?).
>
>I.e., if they suddenly closed up shop (or WERE closed up), the industry
>would recover, after a delay (as it will re: covid).
>
>The announcement of new fabs in the US (including TSMC) suggests that
>economics was the previous driving force; entice manufacturers with
>subsidies and they "suddenly" see the merit of building domestic
>installations. The bottleneck of qualified personnel and kit just
>inserts a delay in that schedule (but it takes time to start ANY
>business operation).
>
>[I believe Intel is adding two plants to its AZ location -- along with
>TSMC increasing its investment, here. The question (for the industry
>as a whole) then boils down to how "general purpose" those fabs may
>end up being. E.g., Micron is likely not going to be producing
>bleeding edge *processors* -- for ANY of its clients!]

I will feel a little better when TSMC is up and running in AZ...

I think that first, it is the know-how but here in the US, I fear they
won't be able to hire enough smart people to work there.

But maybe TSMC knows how to hire people too ?

I have driven by their facility here near Phoenix and it looks
impressively huge.

boB

Re: TSMC

<t36j3q$4vd$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94428&group=sci.electronics.design#94428

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 06:27:12 -0700
 by: Don Y - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 13:27 UTC

On 4/12/2022 6:25 PM, boB wrote:

> I will feel a little better when TSMC is up and running in AZ...

Classic shortsightedness...

“computer chips, potato chips, what’s the difference?”

— George H.W. Bush Sr.’s Chairman of the President’s
Council of Economic Advisers, Michael Boskin.

Obviously, Detroit's problems could be solved overnight -- if
they would just use POTATOES in their new vehicles!

> I think that first, it is the know-how but here in the US, I fear they
> won't be able to hire enough smart people to work there.

Intel announced setting aside some extra monies for "staff retention"
as they undoubtedly expect a bit of talent-poaching.

> But maybe TSMC knows how to hire people too ?

Or, a sudden increase in number of H1B visas issued...

And, if Taiwan was "having a China problem", I suspect there would
be a fair number of skilled professionals BANGING on our door...

> I have driven by their facility here near Phoenix and it looks
> impressively huge.

As is the (growing) Intel facility. What's more noteworthy is the shift in
emphasis towards their Foundry Service (instead of just fabbing their own
products).

Re: TSMC

<c97f5ht4lbllvb5m831cpn0qih45okat86@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94516&group=sci.electronics.design#94516

From: boB...@K7IQ.com (boB)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 21:04:46 -0700
 by: boB - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 04:04 UTC

On Wed, 13 Apr 2022 06:27:12 -0700, Don Y
<blockedofcourse@foo.invalid> wrote:

>On 4/12/2022 6:25 PM, boB wrote:
>
>> I will feel a little better when TSMC is up and running in AZ...
>
>Classic shortsightedness...
>
> “computer chips, potato chips, what’s the difference?”
>
> — George H.W. Bush Sr.’s Chairman of the President’s
> Council of Economic Advisers, Michael Boskin.
>
>Obviously, Detroit's problems could be solved overnight -- if
>they would just use POTATOES in their new vehicles!
>
>> I think that first, it is the know-how but here in the US, I fear they
>> won't be able to hire enough smart people to work there.
>
>Intel announced setting aside some extra monies for "staff retention"
>as they undoubtedly expect a bit of talent-poaching.
>
>> But maybe TSMC knows how to hire people too ?
>
>Or, a sudden increase in number of H1B visas issued...
>
>And, if Taiwan was "having a China problem", I suspect there would
>be a fair number of skilled professionals BANGING on our door...
>
>> I have driven by their facility here near Phoenix and it looks
>> impressively huge.
>
>As is the (growing) Intel facility. What's more noteworthy is the shift in
>emphasis towards their Foundry Service (instead of just fabbing their own
>products).

I have seen the Intel buildings in Chandler. I guess their new ones
aren't quite in the same area. No enough room there ?

Are you in AZ, Don ?

boB

Re: TSMC

<t39khg$6ht$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94554&group=sci.electronics.design#94554

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 10:10:02 -0700
 by: Don Y - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 17:10 UTC

On 4/13/2022 9:04 PM, boB wrote:
>> As is the (growing) Intel facility. What's more noteworthy is the shift in
>> emphasis towards their Foundry Service (instead of just fabbing their own
>> products).
>
> I have seen the Intel buildings in Chandler. I guess their new ones
> aren't quite in the same area. No enough room there ?

Going on the Chandler (Ocotillo) site -- to bring that to 6 fabs, there.

> Are you in AZ, Don ?

The Old Pueblo. "At the base of the black hill" :>