Those who don't understand Linux are doomed to reinvent it, poorly. -- unidentified source

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: interviewing

SubjectAuthor
* interviewingRichD
+* Re: interviewingDon Y
|+* Re: interviewingGrant Taylor
||`* Re: interviewingDennis
|| `- Re: interviewingDon Y
|`* Re: interviewingDave Platt
| `* Re: interviewingDon Y
|  `* Re: interviewingRich S
|   +- Re: interviewingDon Y
|   `- Re: interviewingboB
+* Re: interviewingPhil Hobbs
|`- Re: interviewingRich S
+- Re: interviewingjlarkin
+* Re: interviewingMartin Brown
|`* Re: interviewingjlarkin
| `* Re: interviewingMartin Brown
|  `* Re: interviewingjlarkin
|   +* Re: interviewingPhil Allison
|   |`* Re: interviewingjlarkin
|   | `* Re: interviewingPhil Allison
|   |  +* Re: interviewingjlarkin
|   |  |`* Re: interviewingPhil Allison
|   |  | `* Re: interviewingjlarkin
|   |  |  `* Re: interviewingPhil Allison
|   |  |   +* Re: interviewingPhil Allison
|   |  |   |`- Re: interviewingPhil Allison
|   |  |   `* Re: interviewingjlarkin
|   |  |    `* Re: interviewingPhil Allison
|   |  |     `* Re: interviewingTabby
|   |  |      `* Re: interviewingPhil Allison
|   |  |       `* Re: interviewingTabby
|   |  |        `* Re: interviewingJohn Larkin
|   |  |         `* Re: interviewingPhil Hobbs
|   |  |          `* Re: interviewingJohn Larkin
|   |  |           `* Re: interviewingPhil Hobbs
|   |  |            `* Re: interviewingjlarkin
|   |  |             `- Re: interviewingPhil Hobbs
|   |  `* Re: interviewingTabby
|   |   +- Re: interviewingPhil Allison
|   |   `* Re: interviewingjlarkin
|   |    `* Re: interviewingTabby
|   |     `* Re: interviewingJohn Larkin
|   |      `- Re: interviewingLasse Langwadt Christensen
|   `* Re: interviewingMartin Brown
|    `- Re: interviewingjlarkin
`* Re: interviewingClive Arthur
 +* Re: interviewingDon Y
 |`* Re: interviewingClive Arthur
 | `- Re: interviewingDon Y
 +* Re: interviewingRichD
 |+- Re: interviewingDon Y
 |+* Re: interviewingJohn Larkin
 ||`- Re: interviewingClifford Heath
 |`* Re: interviewingJoe Gwinn
 | `* Re: interviewingWim Ton
 |  `* Re: interviewingRichD
 |   `* Re: interviewingPhil Hobbs
 |    +* Re: interviewingRichD
 |    |`- Re: interviewingClifford Heath
 |    +- Re: interviewingwhit3rd
 |    +- Re: interviewingPiotr Wyderski
 |    `- Re: interviewingJan Panteltje
 `* Re: interviewingJohn Miles, KE5FX
  `* Re: interviewingwhit3rd
   `- Re: interviewingwhit3rd

Pages:123
Re: interviewing

<16e63102c77dfc1a$1$525252$6edd646a@news.thecubenet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94681&group=sci.electronics.design#94681

Subject: Re: interviewing
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: no.s...@please.net (Clifford Heath)
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 08:03:21 +1000
 by: Clifford Heath - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 22:03 UTC

On 16/4/22 3:06 am, John Larkin wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 19:10:26 -0700 (PDT), RichD
> <r_delaney2001@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Write a bit of generic code to calculate a square root.
>
> For an integer, just binary search the bits, like an SAR ADC.

Quicker to start by finding the highest 1 (number of significant bits).
This is a single opcode in many architectures. The square root will have
half as many significant bits, or one fewer than that. Instantly narrows
the search space by a *lot*.

CH

Re: interviewing

<t3e69v$1nuk$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94718&group=sci.electronics.design#94718

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 11:37:50 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 10:37 UTC

On 14/04/2022 15:35, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 08:51:50 +0100, Martin Brown
> <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 13/04/2022 21:02, RichD wrote:
>>> When you interview job candidates, you pose standard
>>> problems, of circuits, PSpice, maybe Mathcad, etc.
>>> Textbook stuff, you expect he knows, reviewing his resume.
>>>
>>> Microsoft and Google are famous for posing brain twisters,
>>> stuff "outside the book" (if any exists, nowadays with the net).
>>> Do you do this? The obvious idea is to test for originality.
>>
>> Most regular interviewers have their own favourite pet questions.
>>
>> Discussing the right answers online would defeat the object so they
>> don't stay useable for long in this age of everything on social media.
>>
>> How many zeroes does 100! have in its decimal representation is one such
>> that has been popular in recent years.
>>
>>> How much weight do you place on the responses?
>>
>> Watching how they approach an unfamiliar problem can be a sufficient
>> guide to do they have what it takes. Engineering can get away with an
>> answer that whilst not exactly right is "good enough" for practical
>> purposes.
>>
>> A pure mathematics course would expect the right answer (and quickly).
>>
>> You have to know what characteristics you are recruiting for to pick the
>> right test question(s) for the position if you are playing this game.
>>
>> Whether the individual will fit in with the team is often much more
>> important than technical prowess (provided that is adequate).
>>
>> Unless that is you enjoy herding cats (something software engineering
>> management has been compared with - more than our fair share of divas).
>

> Puzzles, especially math puzzles, tell a small part about a person's
> prospect as a design engineer. Puzzles are an easy thing for HR folks
> to use.

The open ended puzzle tests are not particularly useful when used by HR.
Anyway they prefer multiple choice off the shelf standardised
personality tests - so much easier to mark.

> To find out how someone will work with your design team, just do it.

Although I draw the line at the nasty modern practice of tasking some
bunch of poor unfortunate would be recruits with solving one of your
tricky real world problems for nothing in an attempt to win the job.

You can generally tell pretty quickly whether or not someone really
knows their stuff as claimed on the CV or has mugged it up from "Ace the
technical interview for Dummies" or even done no prep at all.

"What would you like to ask me about the job?" can be informative too.

We had a couple of short test pieces of code ~20 lines for each language
and the test was to explain what the code does. Much like you would with
a circuit diagram in hardware. Quite a few had no real understanding of
the language(s) that they claimed to know fluently. Saved a lot of time.

One of the key requirements is to have a balanced team.

You need the odd completer finisher to ensure that the last remaining
uninteresting bits do get done when the people who break new ground are
off doing the next interesting big project. Resource is always finite.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: interviewing

<55ml5hlqf106mkhn3ekmifjb5h4pqufn0a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94728&group=sci.electronics.design#94728

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 08:12:50 -0700
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 15:12 UTC

On Sat, 16 Apr 2022 11:37:50 +0100, Martin Brown
<'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:

>On 14/04/2022 15:35, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 08:51:50 +0100, Martin Brown
>> <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Most regular interviewers have their own favourite pet questions.
>>>
>>> Discussing the right answers online would defeat the object so they
>>> don't stay useable for long in this age of everything on social media.
>>>
>>> How many zeroes does 100! have in its decimal representation is one such
>>> that has been popular in recent years.

>>> Watching how they approach an unfamiliar problem can be a sufficient
>>> guide to do they have what it takes. Engineering can get away with an
>>> answer that whilst not exactly right is "good enough" for practical
>>> purposes.
>>>
>>> A pure mathematics course would expect the right answer (and quickly).
>>>
>>> You have to know what characteristics you are recruiting for to pick the
>>> right test question(s) for the position if you are playing this game.
>>>
>>> Whether the individual will fit in with the team is often much more
>>> important than technical prowess (provided that is adequate).
>>>
>>> Unless that is you enjoy herding cats (something software engineering
>>> management has been compared with - more than our fair share of divas).
>>

>> Puzzles, especially math puzzles, tell a small part about a person's
>> prospect as a design engineer. Puzzles are an easy thing for HR folks
>> to use.
>
>The open ended puzzle tests are not particularly useful when used by HR.
>Anyway they prefer multiple choice off the shelf standardised
>personality tests - so much easier to mark.
>
>> To find out how someone will work with your design team, just do it.
>
>Although I draw the line at the nasty modern practice of tasking some
>bunch of poor unfortunate would be recruits with solving one of your
>tricky real world problems for nothing in an attempt to win the job.
>
>You can generally tell pretty quickly whether or not someone really
>knows their stuff as claimed on the CV or has mugged it up from "Ace the
>technical interview for Dummies" or even done no prep at all.
>
>"What would you like to ask me about the job?" can be informative too.
>
>We had a couple of short test pieces of code ~20 lines for each language
>and the test was to explain what the code does. Much like you would with
>a circuit diagram in hardware. Quite a few had no real understanding of
>the language(s) that they claimed to know fluently. Saved a lot of time.
>
>One of the key requirements is to have a balanced team.
>
>You need the odd completer finisher to ensure that the last remaining
>uninteresting bits do get done when the people who break new ground are
>off doing the next interesting big project. Resource is always finite.

We did a job interview yesterday. The guy arrived at 11 AM and left
just after 6 PM. I walked him over the I80 footbridge back to his car.

We brainstormed the architecture and details of a planned product
line, including things that we haven't yet resolved. Free consulting.

I taught him a few things about pcb traces and grounding in picosecond
circuits. He hadn't done any fast wideband stuff and had some
conventionally silly ideas about return currents, but he is sound on
grounding. Looks good at thermals and packaging too.

It was interesting to see not just his intelligence and technical
range, but how he generated ideas and reacted to other peoples' ideas.
Perhaps a tad dogmatic, but I guess people are stressed in interviews.

He also cooks, and bakes bread, so we took him for Thai lunch outdoors
and then walked to Tartine and bought him a gigantic sourdough country
loaf. All that sort of stuff suggests how people might work together.

He admits to being autistic, which is if anything an asset in our
business. Another guy that we zoom interviewed this week is autistic
too. Visibly so.

We agreed that if we hire him, it will be as a virtual intern, in
other words we'd try it for few months to see how it works and part
friends if not. That was his suggestion, and I like it.

--

I yam what I yam - Popeye

Re: interviewing

<db941fcd-63fd-4f7e-9c4a-c04c3220e4e6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94744&group=sci.electronics.design#94744

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 12:05:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: r_delane...@yahoo.com (RichD)
 by: RichD - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 19:05 UTC

On April 15, wim...@gmail.com wrote:
> I was interviewed for the job of well logging engineer. Besides answering
> common engineering questions, I was asked to solve the problems written
> on a whiteboard behind my back. The usual stuff, like "what is the next
> number in this sequence".

77, 49, 36, 18, ... ?

--
Rich

Re: interviewing

<t3f9o0$1jj7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94750&group=sci.electronics.design#94750

From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 16:42:38 -0400
 by: Phil Hobbs - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 20:42 UTC

RichD wrote:
> On April 15, wim...@gmail.com wrote:
>> I was interviewed for the job of well logging engineer. Besides answering
>> common engineering questions, I was asked to solve the problems written
>> on a whiteboard behind my back. The usual stuff, like "what is the next
>> number in this sequence".
>
> 77, 49, 36, 18, ... ?
>

> --
> Rich

8, 0, 0, 0, 0,....

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Re: interviewing

<56a2fe27-30d9-4111-abf6-7d9c5c6dd45bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94753&group=sci.electronics.design#94753

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 14:16:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 21:16 UTC

jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:

==================================

> It was interesting to see not just his intelligence and technical
> range, but how he generated ideas and reacted to other peoples' ideas.
> Perhaps a tad dogmatic,

** So in reality a whole lot and exactly like JL - another autistic.

> but I guess people are stressed in interviews.

** Nope - that is how most autistics permanently ARE.

> He also cooks, and bakes bread, so we took him for Thai lunch outdoors
> and then walked to Tartine and bought him a gigantic sourdough country
> loaf. All that sort of stuff suggests how people might work together.

** No it does not.

> He admits to being autistic, which is if anything an asset in our business.

** My god, what a shitty business you are in.

But I guess being socially awkward and obsessed with tiny details is some sort advantage when doing PCBs.

> Another guy that we zoom interviewed this week is autistic too.

** So PCB design is one step below code scribbling ?

> Visibly so.

** Wonder what that means.

Hesitant speech, makes no eye contact and looks plain odd?
Met more than a few of them.
Otherwise know as " useful idiots ".

> We agreed that if we hire him, it will be as a virtual intern,

** So he is gonna be employing AI?

....... Phil

Re: interviewing

<c21d811e-b9ca-4ac6-949a-371af8d47e8bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94754&group=sci.electronics.design#94754

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 14:33:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 21:33 UTC

On Thursday, April 14, 2022 at 7:40:42 PM UTC-7, John Miles, KE5FX wrote:
> On Thursday, April 14, 2022 at 3:05:59 AM UTC-7, Clive Arthur wrote:
> > Write a bit of generic code to calculate a square root.
> int i=1,root=0; while (input > 0) { input -= i; i += 2; root++; }
>
> Well, you didn't say it had to be FAST...

Isn't FORTRAN generic? Statement function would do it

squareroot(x) = exp(alog(0.5 * x) )

Re: interviewing

<df7cf8d9-9970-4650-97ea-00974b30688cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94755&group=sci.electronics.design#94755

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 14:39:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: r_delane...@yahoo.com (RichD)
 by: RichD - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 21:39 UTC

On April 16, Phil Hobbs wrote:
>>> Besides answering common engineering questions, I was asked to solve the
>>> problems written on a whiteboard behind my back. The usual stuff, like "what
>>> is the next number in this sequence".
>
>> 77, 49, 36, 18, ... ?
>
> 8, 0, 0, 0 ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yscaDkzHqek

Given a Tom Collins glass, 4" high, 6" circumference.
A spider sits on the outside, 1" from the bottom.
A fly lands on the inside, 1" from the top, on the opposite side.
The spider, who aced the calculus of variations, takes the shortest
route and pounces.
What route, what distance?

--
Rich

Re: interviewing

<ce2f3e15-e369-4698-9cc1-aa6b16544b57n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94756&group=sci.electronics.design#94756

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 14:56:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 21:56 UTC

On Saturday, April 16, 2022 at 1:42:48 PM UTC-7, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> RichD wrote:
> > On April 15, wim...@gmail.com wrote:
> >> ...I was asked to solve the problems written
> >> on a whiteboard behind my back. The usual stuff, like "what is the next
> >> number in this sequence".
> >
> > 77, 49, 36, 18, ... ?

> 8, 0, 0, 0, 0,....

OEIS.org lists the 8, 8, 8, 8 variant only; you might want to submit yours for inclusion

Re: interviewing

<dmfm5h5lsbs7aqfdosrten38akfgqnoo63@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94757&group=sci.electronics.design#94757

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 15:19:51 -0700
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 22:19 UTC

On Sat, 16 Apr 2022 14:16:01 -0700 (PDT), Phil Allison
<pallison49@gmail.com> wrote:

>jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>
>==================================
>>
>> It was interesting to see not just his intelligence and technical
>> range, but how he generated ideas and reacted to other peoples' ideas.
>> Perhaps a tad dogmatic,
>
>** So in reality a whole lot and exactly like JL - another autistic.

No, quite different. It's called a "spectrum" for good reason.

>> but I guess people are stressed in interviews.
>
>** Nope - that is how most autistics permanently ARE.

No, quite the opposite. All sorts of things that other people worry
about, I absolutely ignore.

>> He also cooks, and bakes bread, so we took him for Thai lunch outdoors
>> and then walked to Tartine and bought him a gigantic sourdough country
>> loaf. All that sort of stuff suggests how people might work together.
>
>** No it does not.
>
>> He admits to being autistic, which is if anything an asset in our business.
>
>** My god, what a shitty business you are in.

Thinking objectively, inventing things that work. It's fun and pays
well.

>But I guess being socially awkward and obsessed with tiny details is some sort advantage when doing PCBs.

The tiny details matter. There are thousands of possible mistakes on a
complex board, and it takes some obsession to get every one right. As
it takes some dedication to be really good at most anything.

>> Another guy that we zoom interviewed this week is autistic too.
>
>** So PCB design is one step below code scribbling ?
>
>> Visibly so.
>
>** Wonder what that means.

Rocking back and forth into the camera, especially visible with the
close-up cam of a laptop. I let him know so maybe he can try to not do
it in the future.

Mo works with autistics. She suggests he do something out of sight,
like squeeze a rubber ball maybe.

>Hesitant speech, makes no eye contact and looks plain odd?

No that guy was great otherwise. Really smart, but wants to do
wireless stuff, which we don't do.

--

I yam what I yam - Popeye

Re: interviewing

<dfefc78d-8d1b-4495-9988-d5926dae2350n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94759&group=sci.electronics.design#94759

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 15:48:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 22:48 UTC

<
> No, quite different. It's called a "spectrum" for good reason.

** JL misreads, all the time.

His words "... a tad dogmatic" - are clearly an understatement.
So in reality the applicant was a whole lot dogmatic
Like JL is, 100% of the time, including now.

> >> but I guess people are stressed in interviews.
> >
> >** Nope - that is how most autistics permanently ARE.

> No, quite the opposite.

** Fraid that is a totally undeniable fact.

> >> He admits to being autistic, which is if anything an asset in our business.
> >
> >** My god, what a shitty business you are in.

> Thinking objectively,

** Not something JL has ever done.
ASD people cannot be genuinely objective.
Lacking empathy just makes them mean and nasty.

> >But I guess being socially awkward and obsessed with tiny details is some sort advantage when doing PCBs.
>
> The tiny details matter.

** But there is NO need to be autistic and obsessed to deal with details when needed.

> >> Another guy that we zoom interviewed this week is autistic too.
> >
> >** So PCB design is one step below code scribbling ?
> >
> >> Visibly so.
> >
> >** Wonder what that means.
>
> Rocking back and forth into the camera, especially visible with the
> close-up cam of a laptop. I let him know so maybe he can try to not do
> it in the future.

** LOL - better he not LOOK like a nut case - eh ?

> Mo works with autistics.

** She is one, you fool.

> >Hesitant speech, makes no eye contact and looks plain odd?
>
> No that guy was great otherwise.

** Blatant lie.

One autistic has no way to evaluate another.
Be like a blind person trying to evaluate someone's vision.

...... Phil

Re: interviewing

<16e685c417c6a3ef$5$1100196$26dd2c6e@news.thecubenet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94761&group=sci.electronics.design#94761

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
References: <440ef157-ec3f-4ac1-a846-f5cce6492d56n@googlegroups.com> <t38rm0$2sa$1@dont-email.me> <4524249f-82fc-42e9-aa1b-8a8c0c8714d9n@googlegroups.com> <7chj5hhskvqbelle49vmotlpuhcueij4r5@4ax.com> <1d141399-9d5c-4ac2-86ce-c516ecaabddfn@googlegroups.com> <db941fcd-63fd-4f7e-9c4a-c04c3220e4e6n@googlegroups.com> <t3f9o0$1jj7$1@gioia.aioe.org> <df7cf8d9-9970-4650-97ea-00974b30688cn@googlegroups.com>
From: no.s...@please.net (Clifford Heath)
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 09:56:30 +1000
 by: Clifford Heath - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 23:56 UTC

On 17/4/22 7:39 am, RichD wrote:

>>> 77, 49, 36, 18, ... ?
>>
>> 8, 0, 0, 0 ....
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yscaDkzHqek
>
> Given a Tom Collins glass, 4" high, 6" circumference.
> A spider sits on the outside, 1" from the bottom.
> A fly lands on the inside, 1" from the top, on the opposite side.
> The spider, who aced the calculus of variations, takes the shortest
> route and pounces.
> What route, what distance?

Can it jump across from the opposite lip?

Re: interviewing

<u9sm5hd2t4g9gvlvi72sfadq1fvhbcjfok@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94768&group=sci.electronics.design#94768

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 18:47:19 -0700
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 01:47 UTC

On Sat, 16 Apr 2022 15:48:50 -0700 (PDT), Phil Allison
<pallison49@gmail.com> wrote:

>jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>
>==================================

>> >** So in reality a whole lot and exactly like JL - another autistic.
><
>> No, quite different. It's called a "spectrum" for good reason.
>

>** JL misreads, all the time.
>
>His words "... a tad dogmatic" - are clearly an understatement.
>So in reality the applicant was a whole lot dogmatic
>Like JL is, 100% of the time, including now.

>> >** Nope - that is how most autistics permanently ARE.
>
>> No, quite the opposite.
>
>** Fraid that is a totally undeniable fact.

>> >** My god, what a shitty business you are in.
>
>> Thinking objectively,
>
>** Not something JL has ever done.
> ASD people cannot be genuinely objective.
> Lacking empathy just makes them mean and nasty.
>

>> >But I guess being socially awkward and obsessed with tiny details is some sort advantage when doing PCBs.
>>
>> The tiny details matter.
>
>** But there is NO need to be autistic and obsessed to deal with details when needed.

>> >** So PCB design is one step below code scribbling ?

>> >** Wonder what that means.
>>
>> Rocking back and forth into the camera, especially visible with the
>> close-up cam of a laptop. I let him know so maybe he can try to not do
>> it in the future.
>
>** LOL - better he not LOOK like a nut case - eh ?
>

>> Mo works with autistics.
>
>** She is one, you fool.
>

>> >Hesitant speech, makes no eye contact and looks plain odd?
>>
>> No that guy was great otherwise.
>
>** Blatant lie.
>
>One autistic has no way to evaluate another.
>Be like a blind person trying to evaluate someone's vision.

The issue isn't personality stuff, it's electronics: not in your skill
set.

--

I yam what I yam - Popeye

Re: interviewing

<e6832380-de0e-4796-86f1-7f2bcd4af9b4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94769&group=sci.electronics.design#94769

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 19:08:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 02:08 UTC

jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:

==================================

> ><
> >> No, quite different. It's called a "spectrum" for good reason.
> >

> >** JL misreads, all the time.
> >
> >His words "... a tad dogmatic" - are clearly an understatement.
> >So in reality the applicant was a whole lot dogmatic
> >Like JL is, 100% of the time, including now.

> >> No, quite the opposite.
> >
> >** Fraid that is a totally undeniable fact.

> >> Thinking objectively,
> >
> >** Not something JL has ever done.
> > ASD people cannot be genuinely objective.
> > Lacking empathy just makes them mean and nasty.

> >> The tiny details matter.
> >
> >** But there is NO need to be autistic and obsessed to deal with details when needed.

> >> Rocking back and forth into the camera, especially visible with the
> >> close-up cam of a laptop. I let him know so maybe he can try to not do
> >> it in the future.
> >
> >** LOL - better he not LOOK like a nut case - eh ?
> >

> >> Mo works with autistics.
> >
> >** She is one, you fool.

> >> No that guy was great otherwise.
> >
> >** Blatant lie.
> >
> >One autistic has no way to evaluate another.
> >Be like a blind person trying to evaluate someone's vision.
>
> The issue isn't personality stuff,

** It is and YOU raised it, in direst relation to " interviewing".
FFS READ your own words !!!.

> it's electronics:

** Anyone can see " electronics" was never even mentioned.

What an absurd lie and pathetic obfuscation.
How typically autistic of JL....

........ Phil

Re: interviewing

<67508d40-335d-4dcd-b7f5-369990f0e23dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94770&group=sci.electronics.design#94770

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 19:46:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 02:46 UTC

On Saturday, April 16, 2022 at 2:33:40 PM UTC-7, whit3rd wrote:
> On Thursday, April 14, 2022 at 7:40:42 PM UTC-7, John Miles, KE5FX wrote:
> > On Thursday, April 14, 2022 at 3:05:59 AM UTC-7, Clive Arthur wrote:
> > > Write a bit of generic code to calculate a square root.

> Isn't FORTRAN generic? Statement function would do it
>
> squareroot(x) = exp(alog(0.5 * x) )

Drat, those parentheses moved
squareroot(x) = exp( 0.5 * alog(x))

Re: interviewing

<t3ge4b$17k5m$1@portraits.wsisiz.edu.pl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94775&group=sci.electronics.design#94775

From: bomb...@protonmail.com (Piotr Wyderski)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 09:03:16 +0200
 by: Piotr Wyderski - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 07:03 UTC

Phil Hobbs wrote:

> 8, 0, 0, 0, 0,....

The sequence is unnecessarily long. The next number in any sequence is
always zero and it invariably is my answer to this type of questions.
Easy peasy to prove this claim with Newton interpolation polynomial.

Best regards, Piotr

Re: interviewing

<t3ge8f$nsn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94776&group=sci.electronics.design#94776

From: pNaonStp...@yahoo.com (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 07:04:15 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.com/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 07:04 UTC

On a sunny day (Sat, 16 Apr 2022 16:42:38 -0400) it happened Phil Hobbs
<pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote in
<t3f9o0$1jj7$1@gioia.aioe.org>:

>RichD wrote:
>> On April 15, wim...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> I was interviewed for the job of well logging engineer. Besides answering
>>> common engineering questions, I was asked to solve the problems written
>>> on a whiteboard behind my back. The usual stuff, like "what is the next
>>> number in this sequence".
>>
>> 77, 49, 36, 18, ... ?
>>

>> --
>> Rich
>>
>8, 0, 0, 0, 0,....
>
>Cheers
>
>Phil Hobbs

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,11

Re: interviewing

<ip8o5hlfdmppeqchv15ab493ilgpj593um@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94785&group=sci.electronics.design#94785

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 07:33:10 -0700
References: <440ef157-ec3f-4ac1-a846-f5cce6492d56n@googlegroups.com> <t38jqm$137g$1@gioia.aioe.org> <41cg5hd52bhpo6tpg4afbiop5k41tr0fru@4ax.com> <t3e69v$1nuk$1@gioia.aioe.org> <55ml5hlqf106mkhn3ekmifjb5h4pqufn0a@4ax.com> <56a2fe27-30d9-4111-abf6-7d9c5c6dd45bn@googlegroups.com> <dmfm5h5lsbs7aqfdosrten38akfgqnoo63@4ax.com> <dfefc78d-8d1b-4495-9988-d5926dae2350n@googlegroups.com> <u9sm5hd2t4g9gvlvi72sfadq1fvhbcjfok@4ax.com> <e6832380-de0e-4796-86f1-7f2bcd4af9b4n@googlegroups.com>
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 14:33 UTC

On Sat, 16 Apr 2022 19:08:55 -0700 (PDT), Phil Allison
<pallison49@gmail.com> wrote:

>jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>
>==================================

>> ><
>> >

>> >** JL misreads, all the time.
>> >
>> >His words "... a tad dogmatic" - are clearly an understatement.
>> >So in reality the applicant was a whole lot dogmatic
>> >Like JL is, 100% of the time, including now.

>> >** Fraid that is a totally undeniable fact.

>> >** Not something JL has ever done.
>> > ASD people cannot be genuinely objective.
>> > Lacking empathy just makes them mean and nasty.

>> >** But there is NO need to be autistic and obsessed to deal with details when needed.

>> >** LOL - better he not LOOK like a nut case - eh ?

>> >** She is one, you fool.

>> >** Blatant lie.
>> >
>> >One autistic has no way to evaluate another.
>> >Be like a blind person trying to evaluate someone's vision.
>>
>> The issue isn't personality stuff,
>
>** It is and YOU raised it, in direst relation to " interviewing".
> FFS READ your own words !!!.
>
>> it's electronics:
>
>** Anyone can see " electronics" was never even mentioned.

When we interview EEs, of course we talk about electronics. We did
that for 5 hours on Friday.

I prefer in-person interviews, where we can whiteboard architectures
and circuits and things. Work together.

Personalities matter too of course, and that is best evaluated by
working together for a while.

> What an absurd lie and pathetic obfuscation.
> How typically autistic of JL....

There is no typical autism. It's not an OGOD (one gene, one disease)
like Huntington's, but it's the sum of hundreds of genetic effects.
Some trends are called "autism" by some people, but that's an
arbitrary prejudice.

You hate engineers because you can't understand the magic that we do.
Lots of techs have that syndrome.

--

I yam what I yam - Popeye

Re: interviewing

<5c25dd63-eb45-4c83-8c13-860faccb8503n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94817&group=sci.electronics.design#94817

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 15:05:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 22:05 UTC

ljla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
==================================

> >> The issue isn't personality stuff,
> >
> >** It is and YOU raised it, in direst relation to " interviewing".
> > FFS READ your own words !!!.
> >
> >> it's electronics:
> >
> >** Anyone can see " electronics" was never even mentioned.
>>

> When we interview EEs, of course we talk about electronics.

** Yaawwwnnn - more obfuscation.

Plus JL resorts to the Royal Plural.

> Personalities matter too of course,

** Never mentioned either - what desperate liar.

( Autism is NOT a personality trait )

> What an absurd lie and pathetic obfuscation.
> > How typically autistic of JL....
>
> There is no typical autism.

** Yet another dumb obfuscation - plus 100% false.

> like Huntington's, but it's the sum of hundreds of genetic effects.

** But just ONE overriding one.
> You hate engineers ....

** FFS, I am an engineer !!!

What I hate are smug, narcissistic, bullshitting liars like YOU.
Everybody hates them.

..... Phil

Re: interviewing

<99d1945d-ea34-4970-b574-50f62b23c917n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94849&group=sci.electronics.design#94849

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 20:28:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 03:28 UTC

Total IDIOT & Raving Ratbag bill....@ieee.org wrote:

> > > There is no typical autism.
>
> > ** Yet another dumb obfuscation - plus 100% false.
>
> > > like Huntington's, but it's the sum of hundreds of genetic effects.
> >
> > ** But just ONE overriding one.
>
> Completely wrong.
>
> https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fncel.2019.00385/full

** Only CONGENITAL LIARS post links like that.
And clueless Google Monkeys like Da Slowman demented idiot.

It's really just the same as saying:

" .. proof of my (very likely wrong assertion is in their somewhere - so go find it Rover. "

Well, NO it fucking ain't:

WOOF WOOF !!!

....... Phil

Re: interviewing

<ef2e130b-caf5-4b86-b38e-9c5c10e58404n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94857&group=sci.electronics.design#94857

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 20:56:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 03:56 UTC

IEEE Bill rides ( his fat hobby horse) again: bill....@ieee.org wrote:

** Re autism, JL postulated:

> but it's the sum of hundreds of genetic effects.

** The IEEE horseman got on his high one:.

> > > Completely wrong.
> > >
> > > https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fncel.2019.00385/full
> > >
> > ** Only CONGENITAL LIARS post links like that.
> > And clueless Google Monkeys like Bill Sloman.

> > " .. proof of my (very likely wrong assertion is in their somewhere - so go find it Rover. "

> "As is often the case with complex diseases, individuals with similar pathogenic variants may have drastically varying phenotypes".

** Purest ** gobbledegook ** having ZERO to do with my simple and very true claim.

That autistics have one characteristic thing in common.

....... Phil

Re: interviewing

<t3jdn2$8cj$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94869&group=sci.electronics.design#94869

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 11:14:58 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 10:14 UTC

On 16/04/2022 16:12, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2022 11:37:50 +0100, Martin Brown
> <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 14/04/2022 15:35, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:

>>> To find out how someone will work with your design team, just do it.
>>
>> Although I draw the line at the nasty modern practice of tasking some
>> bunch of poor unfortunate would be recruits with solving one of your
>> tricky real world problems for nothing in an attempt to win the job.
>>
>> You can generally tell pretty quickly whether or not someone really
>> knows their stuff as claimed on the CV or has mugged it up from "Ace the
>> technical interview for Dummies" or even done no prep at all.
>>
>> "What would you like to ask me about the job?" can be informative too.
>>
>> We had a couple of short test pieces of code ~20 lines for each language
>> and the test was to explain what the code does. Much like you would with
>> a circuit diagram in hardware. Quite a few had no real understanding of
>> the language(s) that they claimed to know fluently. Saved a lot of time.
>>
>> One of the key requirements is to have a balanced team.
>>
>> You need the odd completer finisher to ensure that the last remaining
>> uninteresting bits do get done when the people who break new ground are
>> off doing the next interesting big project. Resource is always finite.
>
> We did a job interview yesterday. The guy arrived at 11 AM and left
> just after 6 PM. I walked him over the I80 footbridge back to his car.
>
> We brainstormed the architecture and details of a planned product
> line, including things that we haven't yet resolved. Free consulting.

If you are going to offer a job to one of the candidates at the end of
the interview process then fair enough. What I don't like are vapourware
jobs just intended to obtain free consulting from would be candidates.

Right now it isn't a problem in the UK almost everywhere is short
staffed coming out of lockdown and it is very much a sellers market.
> He admits to being autistic, which is if anything an asset in our
> business. Another guy that we zoom interviewed this week is autistic
> too. Visibly so.

High functioning autistic engineers can be very good if suitably
motivated and pointed at the right problems (as various security
breaches of various US military computers will attest).

> We agreed that if we hire him, it will be as a virtual intern, in
> other words we'd try it for few months to see how it works and part
> friends if not. That was his suggestion, and I like it.

They can be a bit of a handful. Hope it works out for both sides.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: interviewing

<2erq5h5etkgi71qo3h1nllmhpqknfqr99q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94876&group=sci.electronics.design#94876

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 06:57:57 -0700
References: <t3e69v$1nuk$1@gioia.aioe.org> <55ml5hlqf106mkhn3ekmifjb5h4pqufn0a@4ax.com> <56a2fe27-30d9-4111-abf6-7d9c5c6dd45bn@googlegroups.com> <dmfm5h5lsbs7aqfdosrten38akfgqnoo63@4ax.com> <dfefc78d-8d1b-4495-9988-d5926dae2350n@googlegroups.com> <u9sm5hd2t4g9gvlvi72sfadq1fvhbcjfok@4ax.com> <e6832380-de0e-4796-86f1-7f2bcd4af9b4n@googlegroups.com> <ip8o5hlfdmppeqchv15ab493ilgpj593um@4ax.com> <5c25dd63-eb45-4c83-8c13-860faccb8503n@googlegroups.com>
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 13:57 UTC

On Sun, 17 Apr 2022 15:05:09 -0700 (PDT), Phil Allison
<pallison49@gmail.com> wrote:

>ljla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>==================================

>> >** It is and YOU raised it, in direst relation to " interviewing".
>> > FFS READ your own words !!!.

>> >** Anyone can see " electronics" was never even mentioned.
>>>

>> When we interview EEs, of course we talk about electronics.
>
>** Yaawwwnnn - more obfuscation.
>
> Plus JL resorts to the Royal Plural.

The interview was one applicant and 5 of us. Also known as "we".

I do need people to share the blame.

--

I yam what I yam - Popeye

Re: interviewing

<8lrq5hl7kri4kn0mim9e3hh89febl9v2m4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94877&group=sci.electronics.design#94877

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 07:04:33 -0700
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 14:04 UTC

On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 11:14:58 +0100, Martin Brown
<'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:

>On 16/04/2022 16:12, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Apr 2022 11:37:50 +0100, Martin Brown
>> <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Although I draw the line at the nasty modern practice of tasking some
>>> bunch of poor unfortunate would be recruits with solving one of your
>>> tricky real world problems for nothing in an attempt to win the job.
>>>
>>> You can generally tell pretty quickly whether or not someone really
>>> knows their stuff as claimed on the CV or has mugged it up from "Ace the
>>> technical interview for Dummies" or even done no prep at all.
>>>
>>> "What would you like to ask me about the job?" can be informative too.
>>>
>>> We had a couple of short test pieces of code ~20 lines for each language
>>> and the test was to explain what the code does. Much like you would with
>>> a circuit diagram in hardware. Quite a few had no real understanding of
>>> the language(s) that they claimed to know fluently. Saved a lot of time.
>>>
>>> One of the key requirements is to have a balanced team.
>>>
>>> You need the odd completer finisher to ensure that the last remaining
>>> uninteresting bits do get done when the people who break new ground are
>>> off doing the next interesting big project. Resource is always finite.
>>
>> We did a job interview yesterday. The guy arrived at 11 AM and left
>> just after 6 PM. I walked him over the I80 footbridge back to his car.
>>
>> We brainstormed the architecture and details of a planned product
>> line, including things that we haven't yet resolved. Free consulting.
>
>If you are going to offer a job to one of the candidates at the end of
>the interview process then fair enough. What I don't like are vapourware
>jobs just intended to obtain free consulting from would be candidates.

Don't be silly. It would make no sense to spend time and money
interviewing job seekers (which includes flying them to California for
a few days and paying all the expenses) to get a few hours of
questonable consulting. If we need consulting, we'd get someone good
and pay them their rate.

>Right now it isn't a problem in the UK almost everywhere is short
>staffed coming out of lockdown and it is very much a sellers market.
>> He admits to being autistic, which is if anything an asset in our
>> business. Another guy that we zoom interviewed this week is autistic
>> too. Visibly so.
>
>High functioning autistic engineers can be very good if suitably
>motivated and pointed at the right problems (as various security
>breaches of various US military computers will attest).
>
>> We agreed that if we hire him, it will be as a virtual intern, in
>> other words we'd try it for few months to see how it works and part
>> friends if not. That was his suggestion, and I like it.
>
>They can be a bit of a handful. Hope it works out for both sides.

Hiring is always scary. I hate to fire people, or have people walk
out, but sometimes things don't work.

--

I yam what I yam - Popeye

Re: interviewing

<3d875aa1-1a08-4b07-9439-35d436dbcf4fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94926&group=sci.electronics.design#94926

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 15:08:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 22:08 UTC

jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:

===================================

> >> When we interview EEs, of course we talk about electronics.
> >
> >** Yaawwwnnn - more obfuscation.
> >
> > Plus JL resorts to the Royal Plural.
>
> The interview was one applicant and 5 of us. Also known as "we".

** Jesus fucking Christ Almighty !!!!!!

So now JL tells us he lines up a panel of * 5 smug autistics * like himself to interrogate and intimidate individual victims.
What a living nightmare, Kafka would be impressed.

Worst possible method of finding actually competent staff.
Might as well flip a coin.

...... Phil