"There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum." -- Arthur C. Clarke

tech / sci.electronics.design / Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your Computer

SubjectAuthor
* Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your ComputerMike Monett
+* Re: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your ComputerJoe Gwinn
|`- Re: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your ComputerDecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
+* Re: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your ComputerJeff Liebermann
|+- Re: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your ComputerMike Monett
|+* Re: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your ComputerDecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
||`* Re: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your ComputerJeff Liebermann
|| `* Re: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your ComputerDecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
||  `- Re: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your ComputerJeff Liebermann
|`- Re: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your ComputerDon Y
+- Re: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your ComputerClifford Heath
+* Re: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your ComputerCydrome Leader
|`* Re: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your ComputerDavid Lesher
| `- Re: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your Computera a
`* Re: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your ComputerCarlos E.R.
 +* Re: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your ComputerLasse Langwadt Christensen
 |`- Re: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your ComputerCarlos E.R.
 +- Re: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your ComputerCydrome Leader
 `- Re: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your ComputerPhil Hobbs

1
Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your Computer

<XnsAE7CE7A64329idtokenpost@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94840&group=sci.electronics.design#94840

From: spa...@not.com (Mike Monett)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your Computer
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 02:46:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mike Monett - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 02:46 UTC

If you live in a cold climate, you may run into problems with low humidity
in the winter. This causes sore throats and colds and flu.

If you look on Amazon, the only humidifiers available are ultrasonic.

These have a serious problem. They emit a great deal of calcium dust. This
covers everything. If you turn the lights out and shine a LED flashlight
straight up, you can see the dust in the air. It goes everywhere.

OK, you think to yourself, it's unsightly, but it's better than the sore
throats and flu from low humidity.

Unfortunately, there is another problem. Unknown to you, the dust is
collecting in the fins of the aluminum heat sink that is cooling your cpu.

Pretty soon, it will overheat and shut off. What do you do without a
computer? Not much.

The solution is a warm mist humidifier. The has a small chamber that heats
water to the boiling point, just like a kettle. The steam contains no
calcium. This collects on the heating element, which you have to remove
periodically with vinegar.

These humnidifiers are hard to find. I bought one on Amazon. The link is

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B089WKB1S2

So far, I am very pleased with the performance. Turning the lights out and
shining the LED flashlight in the air shows absolutely no dust floating
around. My eyeglasses are not covered with a white film every time I sleep.
Highly recommended.

Very important: Top fill warm mist humidifiers are extremely rare. Watch
out for bottom fill units, like the Vicks

https://www.amazon.ca/Vicks-Humidifier-Shut-Off-Gallon-V745A/dp/B001FWXKTA/

Bottom fill units are extremely difficult to deal with. You have to take
the chamber to the sink, wrestle with the unlock cap, fill the unit with
water, screw the cap back on, take the unit back to the humidifier, and try
to get it back on the humidifier. I tried to do this with the Honeywell
HWM845BC humidifier:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07GQ2CF4T/

and gave up. I donated it to the trash bin. Top fill only.

Best regards,

Mike

--
MRM

Re: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your Computer

<vjvq5h5fk7d7c8u3bpt8a4ui53t01ak9ps@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94889&group=sci.electronics.design#94889

From: joegw...@comcast.net (Joe Gwinn)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 11:12:34 -0400
 by: Joe Gwinn - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 15:12 UTC

On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 02:46:19 -0000 (UTC), Mike Monett <spamme@not.com>
wrote:

>If you live in a cold climate, you may run into problems with low humidity
>in the winter. This causes sore throats and colds and flu.
>
>If you look on Amazon, the only humidifiers available are ultrasonic.

Not true. My wife has one. Search for "evaporative humidifier". This
uses a wick and fan, but does not heat the water.

The water tank is removable, and can be filled in the kitchen sink.
One does have to take the bottom of the unit to the sink and wash it
out maybe once a month.

Joe Gwinn

Re: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your Computer

<oblr5hhs7cf9cf9asimr7pngni4t15bfio@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94929&group=sci.electronics.design#94929

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 15:32:20 -0700
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 22:32 UTC

wrote:

>If you live in a cold climate, you may run into problems with low humidity
>in the winter. This causes sore throats and colds and flu.
>
>If you look on Amazon, the only humidifiers available are ultrasonic.
>
>These have a serious problem. They emit a great deal of calcium dust. This
>covers everything. If you turn the lights out and shine a LED flashlight
>straight up, you can see the dust in the air. It goes everywhere.
>
>OK, you think to yourself, it's unsightly, but it's better than the sore
>throats and flu from low humidity.

Are you using a humidifier for medical purposes? If so, it's commonly
called a nebulizer:
<https://www.webmd.com/asthma/guide/home-nebulizer-therapy>
There are a variety of technologies available (jet, mesh, ultrasonic,
boiling water, etc). Anything that will produce an aerosol. Lots of
uses ranging from medicine delivery to compensating for the drying
effects of oxygen bottles and concentrators. For recreational use, I
built one long ago while in college that would volatilize alcoholic
beverages. The basic principle is that the water aerosol also carries
the drugs and sometimes whatever is in the humidifier/nebulizer water
tank.

>Unfortunately, there is another problem. Unknown to you, the dust is
>collecting in the fins of the aluminum heat sink that is cooling your cpu.

Up until about a year ago, I was in the computah repair business. I've
seen incredibly filthy computers, including many with power supply and
CPU heat sinks clogged with all manner of airborne crud that did an
excellent job of ruining air flow. Computah manufacturers have known
about this problem for at least 25 years and have protected their
devices with thermal throttling algorithms. OS vendors have done
their part with APM (advanced power management). Slow down the CPU or
video card clock rate and the CPU will not overheat. Google search
and YouTube should produce a variety of CPU/GPU cooling contraptions
ranging from refrigeration to a gasoline driven water pump. Linus
Tech Tips is full of them:
<https://www.youtube.com/c/LinusTechTips/videos>
Here's the gasoline engine powered water cooling system:
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7Pn7_a37W8> (12:43)
With the exception of older AMD CPU's[1], *all* of this century's
CPU's and GPU's do thermal throttling. If you unplug the fan(s), the
clock will slow down as the CPU or GPU gets hot and eventually settles
at around 75C to 85C maximum. If for some reason the temperature goes
above the limit, the computer and power supply will shut down and turn
off. For what it's worth, I haven't seen a dead CPU in the last 20
years (except for early AMD CPU's). I have seen some dead GPU's, but
those were caused by creative overclocking, not overheating.

>Pretty soon, it will overheat and shut off. What do you do without a
>computer? Not much.

I tried avoiding my computer(s) for a few days to see if it was
possible. I lasted about 2 days and gave up. Computers are
addictive.

>The solution is a warm mist humidifier. The has a small chamber that heats
>water to the boiling point, just like a kettle. The steam contains no
>calcium. This collects on the heating element, which you have to remove
>periodically with vinegar.

I have a more tradition version of such a device. During winter, I
heat my house with a wood burning stove:
<http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/home/#img=wood-burner.jpg>
One of the side effects of burning firewood for heat is that it really
dries out the air. So, I leave a tea pot full of tap water to boil. I
can easily evaporate a gallon of water in 12 hrs.

However, there's a nasty side effect to boiling tap water. Some of
the lime (calcium oxide) in the water hitches a ride on the water
aerosol. Only a small percentage of the lime would go airborne, but
it was enough to cover the house with white dust after a few winters
of boiling tap water on the wood burner. The result was a runny noise
that lasted all winter. I switched to boiling de-ionized water (steam
iron water), which solved the problem.

Incidentally, I also use vinegar to remove the lime scale from the tea
pot. However, in 2020, I had to use HCl (hydrochloric acid) to remove
the lime scale. Vinegar and CLR were too weak. What changes was that
we had a rather large brush fire that melted many of the plastic water
tanks and pipes in the area. So, the water district switched from
surface water sources (rivers and streams) to underground sources
(wells), which have much more dissolved lime. If the amount of lime
in the water is an issue, there are "water hardness test kits":
<https://inspectapedia.com/plumbing/Hard_Water_Measurement.php>.

>These humnidifiers are hard to find. I bought one on Amazon. The link is
>
>https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B089WKB1S2
>
>So far, I am very pleased with the performance. Turning the lights out and
>shining the LED flashlight in the air shows absolutely no dust floating
>around. My eyeglasses are not covered with a white film every time I sleep.
>Highly recommended.

Ummm... That's fairly extreme. I suggest you have your water tested.
Meanwhile, switch to de-ionized or distilled water for the
humidifier/nebulizer/evaporator.

[1] Old AMD CPU's relied on a thermistor temp sensor on the
motherboard to measure and control the temperature. If the thermistor
was dislodged or the CPU was mounted badly, the CPU would overheat and
die a horrible, but quick, death.
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSGcnRanYMM> (2:17)

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

Re: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your Computer

<16e7249f6713b0a7$5$919266$e8dde262@news.thecubenet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94954&group=sci.electronics.design#94954

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: no.s...@please.net (Clifford Heath)
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 10:27:33 +1000
 by: Clifford Heath - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 00:27 UTC

On 18/4/22 12:46 pm, Mike Monett wrote:
> The solution is a warm mist humidifier. The has a small chamber that heats
> water to the boiling point, just like a kettle. The steam contains no
> calcium. This collects on the heating element, which you have to remove
> periodically with vinegar.
>
> These humnidifiers are hard to find. I bought one on Amazon. The link is
>
> https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B089WKB1S2
>
> So far, I am very pleased with the performance.
I guess that's a big problem with espresso machine steam-makers too?

Not a big problem here, we have bugger-all calcium in our water supply.
The current analysis says 48 - 69 (mgCaCO3/L).

<https://www.sydneywater.com.au/water-the-environment/how-we-manage-sydneys-water/safe-drinking-water/water-analysis.html>

Re: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your Computer

<XnsAE7E9662CDDidtokenpost@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94969&group=sci.electronics.design#94969

From: spa...@not.com (Mike Monett)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 04:55:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mike Monett - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 04:55 UTC

Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 02:46:19 -0000 (UTC), Mike Monett <spamme@not.com>
> wrote:

[...]

> Incidentally, I also use vinegar to remove the lime scale from the tea
> pot. However, in 2020, I had to use HCl (hydrochloric acid) to remove
> the lime scale. Vinegar and CLR were too weak. What changes was that
> we had a rather large brush fire that melted many of the plastic water
> tanks and pipes in the area. So, the water district switched from
> surface water sources (rivers and streams) to underground sources
> (wells), which have much more dissolved lime. If the amount of lime
> in the water is an issue, there are "water hardness test kits":
> <https://inspectapedia.com/plumbing/Hard_Water_Measurement.php>.
>
>>These humnidifiers are hard to find. I bought one on Amazon. The link is
>>
>>https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B089WKB1S2
>>
>>So far, I am very pleased with the performance. Turning the lights out
>>and shining the LED flashlight in the air shows absolutely no dust
>>floating around. My eyeglasses are not covered with a white film every
>>time I sleep. Highly recommended.
>
> Ummm... That's fairly extreme. I suggest you have your water tested.
> Meanwhile, switch to de-ionized or distilled water for the
> humidifier/nebulizer/evaporator.

The water is from an acquifier. It is moderate hardness, not as bad as some
other towns.

Distilled or deionized water is out of the question. Too expensive, and as
I have had a number of strokes, I have lost my legs. I cannot walk, and
have no way of obtaining the water. The warm mist humidifier is working
very well and has solved the problem.

--
MRM

Re: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your Computer

<t3n3jk$1s3$2@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=95020&group=sci.electronics.design#95020

From: prese...@MUNGEpanix.com (Cydrome Leader)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 19:47:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Cydrome Leader - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 19:47 UTC

Mike Monett <spamme@not.com> wrote:
> If you live in a cold climate, you may run into problems with low humidity
> in the winter. This causes sore throats and colds and flu.
>
> If you look on Amazon, the only humidifiers available are ultrasonic.
>
> These have a serious problem. They emit a great deal of calcium dust. This
> covers everything. If you turn the lights out and shine a LED flashlight
> straight up, you can see the dust in the air. It goes everywhere.
>
> OK, you think to yourself, it's unsightly, but it's better than the sore
> throats and flu from low humidity.
>
> Unfortunately, there is another problem. Unknown to you, the dust is
> collecting in the fins of the aluminum heat sink that is cooling your cpu.
>
> Pretty soon, it will overheat and shut off. What do you do without a
> computer? Not much.
>
> The solution is a warm mist humidifier. The has a small chamber that heats
> water to the boiling point, just like a kettle. The steam contains no
> calcium. This collects on the heating element, which you have to remove
> periodically with vinegar.

semi-related. I finally pulled the trigger on a boiling water humidifier
from aprilair. It was moderately complex to install, requiring a dedicated
240v circuit and wiring to an external thermometer (which I never
finished, running it in "dumb" mode now). There are no filters or media to
get moldy. It basically sanitizes itself with boiling water. The only
consumable is the canister, it's alleged they last a year.

If any midwest folks need reliable humidity without mold and minerals, but
have cheap electricity this is the way to go.

Re: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your Computer

<idg3ji-5gl.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=95023&group=sci.electronics.design#95023

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 21:50:42 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 19:50 UTC

On 2022-04-18 04:46, Mike Monett wrote:
> If you live in a cold climate, you may run into problems with low humidity
> in the winter. This causes sore throats and colds and flu.
>
> If you look on Amazon, the only humidifiers available are ultrasonic.
>
> These have a serious problem. They emit a great deal of calcium dust. This
> covers everything. If you turn the lights out and shine a LED flashlight
> straight up, you can see the dust in the air. It goes everywhere.
>
> OK, you think to yourself, it's unsightly, but it's better than the sore
> throats and flu from low humidity.
>
> Unfortunately, there is another problem. Unknown to you, the dust is
> collecting in the fins of the aluminum heat sink that is cooling your cpu.
>
> Pretty soon, it will overheat and shut off. What do you do without a
> computer? Not much.
>
> The solution is a warm mist humidifier. The has a small chamber that heats
> water to the boiling point, just like a kettle. The steam contains no
> calcium. This collects on the heating element, which you have to remove
> periodically with vinegar.

IMHO it is a bit ridiculous using an ultrasonic humidifier on a cold
climate (they cool the room).

> These humnidifiers are hard to find. I bought one on Amazon. The link is
>
> https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B089WKB1S2

In the 90's I saw in Canada humidifier that apparently used electrolysis
of the water with AC. They just put two electrodes into the water, the
gases recombined instantly into warm steam. They were top fill, and they
would stop with no water without needing any sensor. The water tank was big.

The only problem I noticed is that the two electrodes corroded (iron,
apparently) and thus the unit died.

I don't know if this is possible to do with 230 AC mains. Here (Spain) I
have not seen them.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your Computer

<c7f9bcf6-05fe-4592-8a06-2af1b97e12a8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=95028&group=sci.electronics.design#95028

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 13:02:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: langw...@fonz.dk (Lasse Langwadt Christensen)
 by: Lasse Langwadt Chris - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 20:02 UTC

tirsdag den 19. april 2022 kl. 21.52.12 UTC+2 skrev Carlos E.R.:
> On 2022-04-18 04:46, Mike Monett wrote:
> > If you live in a cold climate, you may run into problems with low humidity
> > in the winter. This causes sore throats and colds and flu.
> >
> > If you look on Amazon, the only humidifiers available are ultrasonic.
> >
> > These have a serious problem. They emit a great deal of calcium dust. This
> > covers everything. If you turn the lights out and shine a LED flashlight
> > straight up, you can see the dust in the air. It goes everywhere.
> >
> > OK, you think to yourself, it's unsightly, but it's better than the sore
> > throats and flu from low humidity.
> >
> > Unfortunately, there is another problem. Unknown to you, the dust is
> > collecting in the fins of the aluminum heat sink that is cooling your cpu.
> >
> > Pretty soon, it will overheat and shut off. What do you do without a
> > computer? Not much.
> >
> > The solution is a warm mist humidifier. The has a small chamber that heats
> > water to the boiling point, just like a kettle. The steam contains no
> > calcium. This collects on the heating element, which you have to remove
> > periodically with vinegar.
> IMHO it is a bit ridiculous using an ultrasonic humidifier on a cold
> climate (they cool the room).
> > These humnidifiers are hard to find. I bought one on Amazon. The link is
> >
> > https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B089WKB1S2
> In the 90's I saw in Canada humidifier that apparently used electrolysis
> of the water with AC. They just put two electrodes into the water, the
> gases recombined instantly into warm steam. They were top fill, and they
> would stop with no water without needing any sensor. The water tank was big.
>
> The only problem I noticed is that the two electrodes corroded (iron,
> apparently) and thus the unit died.
>
> I don't know if this is possible to do with 230 AC mains. Here (Spain) I
> have not seen them.

https://youtu.be/EViyccc2t9w

Re: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your Computer

<i5m3ji-dlq.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=95091&group=sci.electronics.design#95091

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 23:28:50 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 21:28 UTC

On 2022-04-19 22:02, Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote:
> tirsdag den 19. april 2022 kl. 21.52.12 UTC+2 skrev Carlos E.R.:
>> On 2022-04-18 04:46, Mike Monett wrote:

>> In the 90's I saw in Canada humidifier that apparently used electrolysis
>> of the water with AC. They just put two electrodes into the water, the
>> gases recombined instantly into warm steam. They were top fill, and they
>> would stop with no water without needing any sensor. The water tank was big.
>>
>> The only problem I noticed is that the two electrodes corroded (iron,
>> apparently) and thus the unit died.
>>
>> I don't know if this is possible to do with 230 AC mains. Here (Spain) I
>> have not seen them.
>
> https://youtu.be/EViyccc2t9w

Wow, thanks.

I would not drink those beverages. My chemistry knowledge is not good,
but I seem to remember that the electrolysis of salty water generated
chloride as one of the gases. Who knows what you get with tea, sugar,
milk... I'm certainly not going to try.

However, those humidifiers I saw did not generate that much heat, the
water did not boil (maybe part of it?). Warm, yes, certainly. And there
was no manner to touch the water or the electrodes.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your Computer

<t3oe02$gl2$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=95113&group=sci.electronics.design#95113

From: prese...@MUNGEpanix.com (Cydrome Leader)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 07:50:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Cydrome Leader - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 07:50 UTC

Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
> On 2022-04-18 04:46, Mike Monett wrote:
>> If you live in a cold climate, you may run into problems with low humidity
>> in the winter. This causes sore throats and colds and flu.
>>
>> If you look on Amazon, the only humidifiers available are ultrasonic.
>>
>> These have a serious problem. They emit a great deal of calcium dust. This
>> covers everything. If you turn the lights out and shine a LED flashlight
>> straight up, you can see the dust in the air. It goes everywhere.
>>
>> OK, you think to yourself, it's unsightly, but it's better than the sore
>> throats and flu from low humidity.
>>
>> Unfortunately, there is another problem. Unknown to you, the dust is
>> collecting in the fins of the aluminum heat sink that is cooling your cpu.
>>
>> Pretty soon, it will overheat and shut off. What do you do without a
>> computer? Not much.
>>
>> The solution is a warm mist humidifier. The has a small chamber that heats
>> water to the boiling point, just like a kettle. The steam contains no
>> calcium. This collects on the heating element, which you have to remove
>> periodically with vinegar.
>
> IMHO it is a bit ridiculous using an ultrasonic humidifier on a cold
> climate (they cool the room).
>

>> These humnidifiers are hard to find. I bought one on Amazon. The link is
>>
>> https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B089WKB1S2
>
> In the 90's I saw in Canada humidifier that apparently used electrolysis
> of the water with AC. They just put two electrodes into the water, the
> gases recombined instantly into warm steam. They were top fill, and they
> would stop with no water without needing any sensor. The water tank was big.
>
> The only problem I noticed is that the two electrodes corroded (iron,
> apparently) and thus the unit died.
>
> I don't know if this is possible to do with 230 AC mains. Here (Spain) I
> have not seen them.

That's a boiling water system. It's not electrolysis at work, but
resistive heating of water that causes it to actually boil. Yes, there's
probably some hydrogen and oxygen give off, but it's minor. Those systems
use canisters with sealed in expanded metal electrodes. They eventually
corrode and fail. That's supposed to happen when there's finally too
many minerals built up anyways. They utilize "rinse" cycles to try to
clear themselves out as well, so it's not a consumables scam, like with
printer cartridges.

Condair (formerly Nortec) makes the big ones which are popular for use in
datacenters. There's the nonstop battle of airconditioning that never
shuts off and the need for humidity. Dry air doesn't conduct heat as well
and can cause static electricity problems.

Re: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your Computer

<t3orme$5ci$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=95125&group=sci.electronics.design#95125

From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 07:44:14 -0400
 by: Phil Hobbs - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 11:44 UTC

Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2022-04-18 04:46, Mike Monett wrote:
>> If you live in a cold climate, you may run into problems with low
>> humidity
>> in the winter. This causes sore throats and colds and flu.
>>
>> If you look on Amazon, the only humidifiers available are ultrasonic.
>>
>> These have a serious problem. They emit a great deal of calcium dust.
>> This
>> covers everything. If you turn the lights out  and shine a LED flashlight
>> straight up, you can see the dust in the air. It goes everywhere.
>>
>> OK, you think to yourself, it's unsightly, but it's better than the sore
>> throats and flu from low humidity.
>>
>> Unfortunately, there is another problem. Unknown to you, the dust is
>> collecting in the fins of the aluminum heat sink that is cooling your
>> cpu.
>>
>> Pretty soon, it will overheat and shut off. What do you do without a
>> computer? Not much.
>>
>> The solution is a warm mist humidifier. The has a small chamber that
>> heats
>> water to the boiling point, just like a kettle. The steam contains no
>> calcium. This collects on the heating element, which you have to remove
>> periodically with vinegar.
>
> IMHO it is a bit ridiculous using an ultrasonic humidifier on a cold
> climate (they cool the room).
>

>> These humnidifiers are hard to find. I bought one on Amazon. The link is
>>
>> https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B089WKB1S2
>
> In the 90's I saw in Canada humidifier that apparently used electrolysis
> of the water with AC. They just put two electrodes into the water, the
> gases recombined instantly into warm steam. They were top fill, and they
> would stop with no water without needing any sensor. The water tank was
> big.
> The only problem I noticed is that the two electrodes corroded (iron,
> apparently) and thus the unit died.

That's like the DeVilbiss 145 I mentioned upthread. Works like the
bomb. Somebody mentioned that the electrodes are nickel-free stainless,
so not a huge deal to replace if you keep the surface area constant.
They used to sell replacements, but good luck finding them in 2022.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Re: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your Computer

<t3q01s$1gkb$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=95162&group=sci.electronics.design#95162

From: Decadent...@decadence.org
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 22:04:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Decadent...@decadence.org - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 22:04 UTC

Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net> wrote in

> On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 02:46:19 -0000 (UTC), Mike Monett
> <spamme@not.com> wrote:
>
>>If you live in a cold climate, you may run into problems with low
>>humidity in the winter. This causes sore throats and colds and
>>flu.
>>
>>If you look on Amazon, the only humidifiers available are
>>ultrasonic.
>
> Not true. My wife has one. Search for "evaporative humidifier".
> This uses a wick and fan, but does not heat the water.
>
> The water tank is removable, and can be filled in the kitchen
> sink. One does have to take the bottom of the unit to the sink and
> wash it out maybe once a month.
>
> Joe Gwinn

They will definitely 'kill' your 3D printer filaments if you do not
keep them in a dry box between uses.

Re: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your Computer

<t3q42t$qb1$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=95170&group=sci.electronics.design#95170

From: Decadent...@decadence.org
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 23:13:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Decadent...@decadence.org - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 23:13 UTC

Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com> wrote in

> Up until about a year ago, I was in the computah repair business.

Tere's that goddamned "lamah" word again, which completely destroys
any crdibility you ever had. Simply by embracing and never abandoning
such a stupid term.

And the really sad part is that I KNOW you have more character than
that stupid shit term you refuse to give up even after decades of
looking stupid for using it. Such a lamah.

Re: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your Computer

<scb16htbk5bo4uhvndbm8pv812q1mms9n5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=95184&group=sci.electronics.design#95184

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 18:34:34 -0700
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 01:34 UTC

On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 23:13:33 -0000 (UTC),
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote:

>Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com> wrote in
>
>> Up until about a year ago, I was in the computah repair business.

> Tere's that goddamned "lamah" word again, which completely destroys
>any crdibility you ever had. Simply by embracing and never abandoning
>such a stupid term.

What's a credibility? If that was accidental, please repair the "e"
key on your keyboard.

> And the really sad part is that I KNOW you have more character than
>that stupid shit term you refuse to give up even after decades of
>looking stupid for using it. Such a lamah.

Thanks. Hopefully, nobody in S.E.D. relies solely on the proper use
of the English language as a credibility indicator. I certainly
don't.

Bad news. The abusers of the term are slowly gaining traction. We
now have an official song:
"Lealani & SnakeFoot - Kid Computah (Official Video Clip)"
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lefN5Q-OsAU>
There's also a singer who has adopted the name:
<https://soundcloud.com/computah>
We are winning.

56,900 Google search hits and climbing. Soon everyone will be using
the word:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=%22computah%22>

It hasn't made much of an impact on the world word usage hit list
quite yet. Maybe in a few years:
<https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=computah>

I don't recall exactly when I first started using the word, but my
guess(tm) is around 1990. I was not the originator of this
intentional mis-spelling, but was probably one of the early promoters.
"Anyone who can only think of one way to spell a word obviously lacks
imagination."
- Mark Twain

"The success of any technology is largely determined by how
effectively it can be abused and misused."
- Me

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Re: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your Computer

<t3s2vh$945$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=95214&group=sci.electronics.design#95214

From: Decadent...@decadence.org
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 17:06:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Decadent...@decadence.org - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 17:06 UTC

> It hasn't made much of an impact on the world word usage hit list
> quite yet. Maybe in a few years:

Like the canuks and "eh"?

Stupidah argumentah dumbshitah, googletardah. Eh?

Re: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your Computer

<gu436hdmlon4hvn2uetv8emtd0oek4apk7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=95216&group=sci.electronics.design#95216

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 10:42:15 -0700
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 17:42 UTC

On Thu, 21 Apr 2022 17:06:57 -0000 (UTC),

<https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=canuck>
<https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/canuck>

> Stupidah argumentah dumbshitah, googletardah. Eh?

If you intend to demonstrate your linguistic abilities and immortalize
your terminology, it might be helpful if you would contrive terms that
are more memorable and clever. Your habit of attaching "tard" as a
suffix to everything you fail to appreciate is not particularly clever
or imaginative. Keep trying, or simply borrow some of the terms that
pre-teenagers are prone to invent. English is a dynamic and ever
changing language. Adapt to the changes or resign yourself to joining
the fate of static or dead languages:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinct_language>
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_time_of_extinction>

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Re: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your Computer

<t3sds0$l75$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=95223&group=sci.electronics.design#95223

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 13:12:30 -0700
 by: Don Y - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 20:12 UTC

On 4/18/2022 3:32 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>> Unfortunately, there is another problem. Unknown to you, the dust is
>> collecting in the fins of the aluminum heat sink that is cooling your cpu.
>
> Up until about a year ago, I was in the computah repair business. I've
> seen incredibly filthy computers, including many with power supply and
> CPU heat sinks clogged with all manner of airborne crud that did an
> excellent job of ruining air flow.

+42

I see about ~2000 (used) computers each year. I've yet to find one that
didn't have a heatsink coated (or filled!) with dust-bunnies, etc.
Laptops are the worst!

I can understand folks being lazy and not wanting to open/disassemble
a machine for better access to the heatsink(s). But, you can remove *some*
of it just by forcefully pulling air through the heatsink from outside
the machine (not true of bigger machines with "active" heatsinks).

OTOH, aside from laptops, most (quantities deployed) modern machines open
without resorting to tools. So, it's not a HUGE burden to undertake
that bit of PM.

> Computah manufacturers have known
> about this problem for at least 25 years and have protected their
> devices with thermal throttling algorithms. OS vendors have done
> their part with APM (advanced power management). Slow down the CPU or
> video card clock rate and the CPU will not overheat.

You also have to look at memory temperatures.

Most users don't know what to expect from their machines, in terms of
performance. So, won't notice if it is operating at full speed or not.

Re: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your Computer

<t8f651$gcp$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99468&group=sci.electronics.design#99468

From: wb8...@panix.com (David Lesher)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 12:02:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: David Lesher - Thu, 16 Jun 2022 12:02 UTC

Cydrome Leader <presence@MUNGEpanix.com> writes:

>> Unfortunately, there is another problem. Unknown to you, the
>> dust is collecting in the fins of the aluminum heat sink
>> that is cooling your cpu.

And that dust includes the trace asbestos often found in
drinking water.

>> The solution is a warm mist humidifier. The has a small
>> chamber that heats water to the boiling point, just like a
>> kettle. The steam contains no calcium. This collects on the
>> heating element, which you have to remove periodically with
>> vinegar.

There is another choice. An evaporative unit; such as a "water
wheel" with a fan, where all the solids are left on the foam or
fiber belt/pad. Lasko, alas, discontinued the one they made.

--
A host is a host from coast to coast...............wb8foz@panix.com

Re: Ultrasonic Humidifiers Will Kill Your Computer

<ddc2e5f0-e1cd-4c21-912b-63006ce23b3fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99469&group=sci.electronics.design#99469

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 05:23:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
 by: a a - Thu, 16 Jun 2022 12:23 UTC

On Thursday, 16 June 2022 at 14:02:48 UTC+2, David Lesher wrote:
> Cydrome Leader <pres...@MUNGEpanix.com> writes:
>
> >> Unfortunately, there is another problem. Unknown to you, the
> >> dust is collecting in the fins of the aluminum heat sink
> >> that is cooling your cpu.
> And that dust includes the trace asbestos often found in
> drinking water.
> >> The solution is a warm mist humidifier. The has a small
> >> chamber that heats water to the boiling point, just like a
> >> kettle. The steam contains no calcium. This collects on the
> >> heating element, which you have to remove periodically with
> >> vinegar.
> There is another choice. An evaporative unit; such as a "water
> wheel" with a fan, where all the solids are left on the foam or
> fiber belt/pad. Lasko, alas, discontinued the one they made.
>

> --
> A host is a host from coast to coast...............wb8foz@panix.com
> & no one will talk to a host that's close..........................
> Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433
> is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433
fake