From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: US Highway 19 N isn't even safe for cars, not to mention bicycles
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2023 05:42:03 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 09:42 UTC

Three of the 10 most dangerous sections of highway in Florida are on
US Highway 19, through Pinellas and Pasco Counties. I drive them
regularly, but I surely wouldn't do it on a bicycle.

https://www.moneygeek.com/insurance/auto/resources/most-deadly-roads-florida/

PINELLAS PARK, Fla, – Police in Pinellas Park are investigating a
hit-and-run crash that happened on Wednesday night.

On Wednesday, at around 9:00 p.m., Pinellas Park Police Department
responded to the 9500 block of US Highway 19 N for reports of a
vehicle-versus-bicyclist crash.

Deputies say the bicyclist was traveling northbound on US Highway 19 N
on the east side of the roadway, as they approached the off-ramp for
49th St. N.

The vehicle, a 2011 Black Chevrolet Impala, was also traveling
northbound on US Highway 19 N when they made a sudden lane change to
access the ramp for the 49th St. N exit.

While making the lane change, the front of the vehicle struck the
bicyclist.

The vehicle fled the scene and was located a short time later by the
Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office.

The driver of the vehicle was identified as Olajuwon Simmons and was
arrested for driving with a suspended license and leaving the scene of
a crash with serious bodily injury.

The bicyclist was transported to a local hospital where they are
listed as critical but stable condition.

https://www.tampafp.com/pinellas-park-police-department-investigating/

Re: US Highway 19 N isn't even safe for cars, not to mention bicycles

<ui2td1$2pq46$8@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94958&group=rec.bicycles.tech#94958

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 08:42:57 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 13:42 UTC

On 11/3/2023 4:42 AM, Catrike Rider wrote:
> Three of the 10 most dangerous sections of highway in Florida are on
> US Highway 19, through Pinellas and Pasco Counties. I drive them
> regularly, but I surely wouldn't do it on a bicycle.
>
> https://www.moneygeek.com/insurance/auto/resources/most-deadly-roads-florida/
>

> PINELLAS PARK, Fla, – Police in Pinellas Park are investigating a
> hit-and-run crash that happened on Wednesday night.
>
> On Wednesday, at around 9:00 p.m., Pinellas Park Police Department
> responded to the 9500 block of US Highway 19 N for reports of a
> vehicle-versus-bicyclist crash.
>
> Deputies say the bicyclist was traveling northbound on US Highway 19 N
> on the east side of the roadway, as they approached the off-ramp for
> 49th St. N.
>
> The vehicle, a 2011 Black Chevrolet Impala, was also traveling
> northbound on US Highway 19 N when they made a sudden lane change to
> access the ramp for the 49th St. N exit.
>
> While making the lane change, the front of the vehicle struck the
> bicyclist.
>
> The vehicle fled the scene and was located a short time later by the
> Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office.
>
> The driver of the vehicle was identified as Olajuwon Simmons and was
> arrested for driving with a suspended license and leaving the scene of
> a crash with serious bodily injury.
>
> The bicyclist was transported to a local hospital where they are
> listed as critical but stable condition.
>
> https://www.tampafp.com/pinellas-park-police-department-investigating/

Risks vary by location:
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/bicyclist-killed-in-woodlawn-shooting-chicago-police-say/3263381/
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org

Re: US Highway 19 N isn't even safe for cars, not to mention bicycles

<fy91N.701873$iKfd.535861@fx05.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=94973&group=rec.bicycles.tech#94973

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2023 16:51:23 GMT
 by: Roger Merriman - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 16:51 UTC

Catrike Rider <soloman@drafting.not> wrote:
> Three of the 10 most dangerous sections of highway in Florida are on
> US Highway 19, through Pinellas and Pasco Counties. I drive them
> regularly, but I surely wouldn't do it on a bicycle.
>
> https://www.moneygeek.com/insurance/auto/resources/most-deadly-roads-florida/
>

> PINELLAS PARK, Fla, – Police in Pinellas Park are investigating a
> hit-and-run crash that happened on Wednesday night.
>
> On Wednesday, at around 9:00 p.m., Pinellas Park Police Department
> responded to the 9500 block of US Highway 19 N for reports of a
> vehicle-versus-bicyclist crash.
>
> Deputies say the bicyclist was traveling northbound on US Highway 19 N
> on the east side of the roadway, as they approached the off-ramp for
> 49th St. N.
>
> The vehicle, a 2011 Black Chevrolet Impala, was also traveling
> northbound on US Highway 19 N when they made a sudden lane change to
> access the ramp for the 49th St. N exit.
>
> While making the lane change, the front of the vehicle struck the
> bicyclist.
>
> The vehicle fled the scene and was located a short time later by the
> Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office.
>
> The driver of the vehicle was identified as Olajuwon Simmons and was
> arrested for driving with a suspended license and leaving the scene of
> a crash with serious bodily injury.
>
> The bicyclist was transported to a local hospital where they are
> listed as critical but stable condition.
>
> https://www.tampafp.com/pinellas-park-police-department-investigating/

Looks like urban dual carriageway can’t say it’s particularly appealing!
Though would seem this is a driver error, ie didn’t check the carriageway
was clear.

I have some roads like that ish on my commute though I’m on a very old
cycleway or abandoned road or re purposed I guess to bypass though the
roundabout so no junction for bikes!

And yes it’s horrible road hate driving it, where as it’s okay by bike, as
long as the bike can cope with debris and so on as it’s rather unloved
area!

Roger Merriman