For every problem there is one solution which is simple, neat, and wrong. -- H. L. Mencken

interests / sci.anthropology.paleo / mv's snorkel nose found

SubjectAuthor
* mv's snorkel nose foundPrimum Sapienti
+- Re: mv's snorkel nose foundDD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves
`* Re: mv's snorkel nose foundlittor...@gmail.com
 `* Re: mv's snorkel nose foundDD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves
  `* Re: mv's snorkel nose foundlittor...@gmail.com
   `* Re: mv's snorkel nose foundDD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves
    +- Re: mv's snorkel nose foundDD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves
    `* Re: mv's snorkel nose foundlittor...@gmail.com
     `* Re: mv's snorkel nose foundDD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves
      `* Re: mv's snorkel nose foundlittor...@gmail.com
       `- Re: mv's snorkel nose foundDD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves

1
mv's snorkel nose found

<s7nflp$913$2@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9500&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#9500

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Primum Sapienti)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Subject: mv's snorkel nose found
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 21:37:31 -0600
 by: Primum Sapienti - Sat, 15 May 2021 03:37 UTC

https://www.livescience.com/mammals-can-breathe-through-anus-intestine-ventilation.html

Re: mv's snorkel nose found

<92d1f3ee-a7e6-415d-87f4-9493eb55fc59n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9503&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#9503

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 22:35:27 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: mv's snorkel nose found
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves)
 by: DD'eDeN aka not - Sat, 15 May 2021 05:35 UTC

On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 11:37:30 PM UTC-4, Primum Sapienti wrote:
> https://www.livescience.com/mammals-can-breathe-through-anus-intestine-ventilation.html

Turtles do it too, while "hibernating" in cold water I guess, some sort of primitive gill-like operation. Maybe that's how mermaids stay submerged so long before surfacing. Ed Conrad used to post here a pic of a swimmer with a blowhole in the butt...

Re: mv's snorkel nose found

<97c56dea-645e-47ab-a7cf-412d4f5f4ce9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9507&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#9507

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 02:19:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Sat, 15 May 2021 09:19 UTC

OI, BIG NOSE !

New Scientist 2782 p.69
Lastword 16.10.10

Why do humans evolve external noses that don’t seem to serve any useful purpose – our smelling sensors are inside the head. Our nose is vulnerable to damage, and the majority of primates and other mammals manage with relatively flat faces. Traditional explanations are that the nose protects against dry air, hot air, cold air, dusty air, whatever air, but most savannah mammals have no external noses, and polar animals such as arctic foxes or hares tend to evolve shorter extremities including flatter noses (Allen’s Rule), not larger as the Neanderthal protruding nose.

The answer isn’t so difficult if we simply consider humans like other mammals.

An external nose is seen in elephant seals, hooded seals, tapirs, elephants, swine and, among primates, in the mangrove-dwelling proboscis monkeys. Various, often mutually compatible functions, have been proposed, such as sexual display (in male hooded and elephant seals or proboscis monkeys), manipulation of food (in elephants, tapirs and swine), a snorkel (elephants, proboscis monkeys) and as a nose-closing aid during diving (in most of these animals). These mammals spend a lot of time at the margins of land and water.. Possible functions of an external nose in creatures evolving into aquatic ones are obvious and match those listed above in many cases. They can initially act as a nose closure, a snorkel, to keep water out, to dig in wet soil for food, and so on. Afterwards, these external noses can also become co-opted for other functions, such as sexual display (visual as well as auditory) in hooded and elephant seals and proboscis monkeys.

But what does this have to do with human evolution?

The earliest known Homo fossils outside Africa – such as those at Mojokerto in Java and Dmanisi in Georgia – are about 1.8 million years old. The easiest way for them to have spread to other continents, and to islands such as Java, is along the coasts, and from there inland along rivers. During the glacial periods of the Pleistocene – the ice age cycles that ran from about 1.8 million to 12,000 years ago – most coasts were about 100 metres below the present-day sea level, so we don’t know whether or when Homo populations lived there. But coasts and riversides are full of shellfish and other foods that are easily collected and digested by smart, handy and tool-using “apes”, and are rich in potential brain-boosting nutrients such as docosahexaenoic acid (DHA).

If Pleistocene Homo spread along the coasts, beachcombing, wading and diving for seafoods as Polynesian islanders still do, this could explain why Homo erectus evolved larger brains (aided by DHA) and larger noses (because of their part-time diving). This littoral intermezzo could help to explain not only why we like to have our holidays at tropical beaches, eating shrimps and coconuts, but also why we became fat and furless bipeds with long legs, large brains and big noses.

______

Op zaterdag 15 mei 2021 om 05:37:30 UTC+2 schreef Primum Sapienti:
> https://www.livescience.com/mammals-can-breathe-through-anus-intestine-ventilation.html

Re: mv's snorkel nose found

<b0667375-d1b0-46a5-a398-8aaecc2cc6c0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9510&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#9510

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 03:00:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves)
 by: DD'eDeN aka not - Sat, 15 May 2021 10:00 UTC

On Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 5:19:37 AM UTC-4, littor...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
>
> If Pleistocene Homo spread along the coasts, beachcombing, wading and diving for seafoods as Polynesian islanders still do, this could explain why Homo erectus evolved larger brains (aided by DHA) and larger noses (because of their part-time diving). This littoral intermezzo could help to explain not only why we like to have our holidays at tropical beaches, eating shrimps and coconuts, but also why we became fat and furless bipeds with long legs, large brains and big noses.
>
> ______
>
> Op zaterdag 15 mei 2021 om 05:37:30 UTC+2 schreef Primum Sapienti:

OI, BIG HANDAXE!
https://youtu.be/0UnJIf_WTQs

Re: mv's snorkel nose found

<18f6862b-67a3-479b-9292-0c050e9a54adn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9512&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#9512

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 10:07:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Sat, 15 May 2021 17:07 UTC

Op zaterdag 15 mei 2021 om 12:00:09 UTC+2 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

My little boy, the title was of NS, but they didn't change anything of my text.
Your idiotic answer shows you have no reply...
:-)

> [...]
If Pleistocene Homo spread along the coasts, beachcombing, wading and diving for seafoods as Polynesian islanders still do, this could explain why Homo erectus evolved larger brains (aided by DHA) and larger noses (because of their part-time diving). This littoral intermezzo could help to explain not only why we like to have our holidays at tropical beaches, eating shrimps and coconuts, but also why we became fat and furless bipeds with long legs, large brains and big noses.

______

> > Op zaterdag 15 mei 2021 om 05:37:30 UTC+2 schreef Primum Sapienti:

Re: mv's snorkel nose found

<b57250fc-0fa4-4876-8a44-38cbe89e4f13n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9513&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#9513

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 12:19:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves)
 by: DD'eDeN aka not - Sat, 15 May 2021 19:19 UTC

On Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 1:07:45 PM UTC-4, littor...@gmail.com wrote:
> Op zaterdag 15 mei 2021 om 12:00:09 UTC+2 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:
>
> My little boy, the title was of NS, but they didn't change anything of my text. .

No, LiveScience article on pig, rat and human butt breathing, see first post.

> Your idiotic answer shows you have no reply...

What did you say about anal respiration?

I have no idea if the savanna saiga's big nose relates to diving and backfloating in Mongolia.

> ______

> > OI, BIG HANDAXE!
> > https://youtu.be/0UnJIf_WTQs

Re: mv's snorkel nose found

<5be57407-483d-4c1e-b2b9-e759f90b8419n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9516&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#9516

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 13:06:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves)
 by: DD'eDeN aka not - Sat, 15 May 2021 20:06 UTC

On Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 3:19:33 PM UTC-4, DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:
> On Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 1:07:45 PM UTC-4, littor...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Op zaterdag 15 mei 2021 om 12:00:09 UTC+2 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:
> >
> > My little boy, the title was of NS, but they didn't change anything of my text. .
>
> No, LiveScience article on pig, rat and human butt breathing, see first post.
> > Your idiotic answer shows you have no reply...
> What did you say about anal respiration?
>
> I have no idea if the savanna saiga's big nose relates to diving and backfloating in Mongolia.
> > ______

> > > OI, BIG HANDAXE!
> > > https://youtu.be/0UnJIf_WTQs

Capybara nostrils, "backfloating" when massaged, tail loss vs beaver
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2Q_tfiP-tQ

Re: mv's snorkel nose found

<71db84fb-c550-42c0-82ab-c0dd6cad7d27n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9518&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#9518

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 13:32:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Sat, 15 May 2021 20:32 UTC

Op zaterdag 15 mei 2021 om 21:19:33 UTC+2 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

> > My little boy, the title was of NS, but they didn't change anything of my text. .

> No, LiveScience article on pig, rat and human butt breathing, see first post.

Yes, with title "mv"s snorkel nose found"...

> > Your idiotic answer shows you have no reply...

> What did you say about anal respiration?
> I have no idea if the savanna saiga's big nose relates to diving and backfloating in Mongolia.

Yes, apparently.
Yet it isn't difficult:

OI, BIG NOSE !
New Scientist 2782 p 69 Lastword 16 October 2010

[...]

<fddaaf25-ed07-479b-a84b-c7b116c306c3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9520&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#9520

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 14:08:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves)
 by: DD'eDeN aka not - Sat, 15 May 2021 21:08 UTC

On Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 4:32:51 PM UTC-4, littor...@gmail.com wrote:
> Op zaterdag 15 mei 2021 om 21:19:33 UTC+2 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:
> > > My little boy, the title was of NS, but they didn't change anything of my text. .
>
> > No, LiveScience article on pig, rat and human butt breathing, see first post.
> Yes, with title "mv"s snorkel nose found"...
> > > Your idiotic answer shows you have no reply...
>
> > What did you say about anal respiration?
> > I have no idea if the savanna saiga's big nose relates to diving and backfloating in Mongolia.
> Yes, apparently.
> Yet it isn't difficult:
>
> OI, BIG NOSE !
> New Scientist 2782 p 69 Lastword 16 October 2010
> Why do humans evolve external noses that don’t seem to serve any useful purpose – our smelling sensors are inside the head. Our nose is vulnerable to damage, and the majority of primates and other mammals manage with relatively flat faces. Traditional explanations are that the nose protects against dry air, hot air, cold air, dusty air, whatever air, but most savannah mammals have no external noses, and polar animals such as arctic foxes or hares tend to evolve shorter extremities including flatter noses (Allen’s Rule), not larger as the Neanderthal protruding nose.
>
> The answer isn’t so difficult if we simply consider humans like other mammals.

Like saiga?

> An external nose is seen in elephant seals, hooded seals, tapirs, elephants, swine and, among primates, in the mangrove-dwelling proboscis monkeys. Various, often mutually compatible functions, have been proposed, such as sexual display (in male hooded and elephant seals or proboscis monkeys), manipulation of food (in elephants, tapirs and swine), a snorkel (elephants, proboscis monkeys) and as a nose-closing aid during diving (in most of these animals). These mammals spend a lot of time at the margins of land and water. Possible functions of an external nose in creatures evolving into aquatic ones are obvious and match those listed above in many cases. They can initially act as a nose closure, a snorkel, to keep water out, to dig in wet soil for food, and so on. Afterwards, these external noses can also become co-opted for other functions, such as sexual display (visual as well as auditory) in hooded and elephant seals and proboscis monkeys.
>
> But what does this have to do with human evolution?
>
> The earliest known Homo fossils outside Africa – such as those at Mojokerto in Java and Dmanisi in Georgia – are about 1.8 million years old. The easiest way for them to have spread to other continents, and to islands such as Java, is along the coasts, and from there inland along rivers. During the glacial periods of the Pleistocene – the ice age cycles that ran from about 1.8 million to 12,000 years ago – most coasts were about 100 metres below the present-day sea level, so we don’t know whether or when Homo populations lived there. But coasts and riversides are full of shellfish and other foods that are easily collected and digested by smart, handy and tool-using “apes”, and are rich in potential brain-boosting nutrients such as docosahexaenoic acid (DHA).
>
> If Pleistocene Homo spread along the coasts, beachcombing, wading and diving for seafoods as Polynesian islanders still do, this could explain why Homo erectus evolved larger brains (aided by DHA) and larger noses (because of their part-time diving). This littoral intermezzo could help to explain not only why we like to have our holidays at tropical beaches, eating shrimps and coconuts, but also why we became fat and furless bipeds with long legs, large brains and big noses.

So what about anal respiration in pigs & turtles? Semi-aquatic feature?

Re: mv's snorkel nose found

<6cee12cb-dc82-42e7-bb62-39f2af36bbd5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9524&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#9524

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 15:11:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Sat, 15 May 2021 22:11 UTC

Op zaterdag 15 mei 2021 om 23:08:35 UTC+2 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

DD's saiga snorkel found :-DDD

> [...]
> >
> > If Pleistocene Homo spread along the coasts, beachcombing, wading and diving for seafoods as Polynesian islanders still do, this could explain why Homo erectus evolved larger brains (aided by DHA) and larger noses (because of their part-time diving). This littoral intermezzo could help to explain not only why we like to have our holidays at tropical beaches, eating shrimps and coconuts, but also why we became fat and furless bipeds with long legs, large brains and big noses.
> So what about anal respiration in pigs & turtles? Semi-aquatic feature?

<74dadc2e-5e66-4dcd-bf0a-e1cdd6052bb5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9525&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#9525

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 18:43:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves)
 by: DD'eDeN aka not - Sun, 16 May 2021 01:43 UTC

On Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 6:11:29 PM UTC-4, littor...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > > If Pleistocene Homo spread along the coasts, beachcombing, wading and diving for seafoods as Polynesian islanders still do, this could explain why Homo erectus evolved larger brains (aided by DHA) and larger noses (because of their part-time diving). This littoral intermezzo could help to explain not only why we like to have our holidays at tropical beaches, eating shrimps and coconuts, but also why we became fat and furless bipeds with long legs, large brains and big noses.

> > So what about anal respiration in pigs & turtles? Semi-aquatic feature?
No answer, of course.