"Say yur prayers, yuh flea-pickin' varmint!" -- Yosemite Sam

interests / sci.anthropology.paleo / Re: John Hawks on Sangiran skull thickness

SubjectAuthor
* John Hawks on Sangiran skull thicknessDD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves
+* Re: John Hawks on Sangiran skull thicknesslittor...@gmail.com
|`* Re: John Hawks on Sangiran skull thicknessDD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves
| `* Re: John Hawks on Sangiran skull thicknesslittor...@gmail.com
|  `* Re: John Hawks on Sangiran skull thicknessDD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves
|   `- Re: John Hawks on Sangiran skull thicknesslittor...@gmail.com
`* Re: John Hawks on Sangiran skull thicknessI Envy JTEM
 `- Re: John Hawks on Sangiran skull thicknessDD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves

1
John Hawks on Sangiran skull thickness

<62d4b94e-54bd-4470-972f-e7e2f30a3bacn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9515&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#9515

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 12:44:04 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: John Hawks on Sangiran skull thickness
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves)
 by: DD'eDeN aka not - Sat, 15 May 2021 19:44 UTC

http://johnhawks.net/weblog/topics/artcards/sangiran-31-calvaria.html

Sangiran 31 has some of the thickest cranial bone of any fossil member of our genus. Its nuchal torus, or occipital torus, which sticks out above the origin of the trapezius muscles and the insertion of the splenius capitis muscles on the back of the skull, is thicker and more projecting than any other fossil human relative. The fossil only includes the posterior portion of the cranial vault, so we do not know what the face or jaw of this individual would have looked like.

Likewise many Homo erectus skulls have a projecting and well delineated nuchal torus.

With traits that are so distinctive and so different from most living people, it’s natural to ask why these evolved. These are not traits that Homo erectus inherited from earlier hominin ancestors, they evolved within H. erectus and later hominins evolved differently. What was the advantage of a nuchal torus? Why did Homo erectus have such thick cranial bone?

My personal favorite hypothesis is that H. erectus evolved thick cranial bone because it helped resist injuries. This hypothesis is supported by the quite high frequency of healed lesions on the exterior surface of the skull in H. erectus fossils. But this hypothesis does little to explain a structure like the occipital torus, nor does it explain why other populations of ancient humans like the Neandertals had thinner cranial bone, despite also displaying a good number of healed cranial lesions.
- Obligate habitual regular orthograde terrestrial striding/walking, the rearmost part of the skull is densest as it parallels the bony tail of the bipedal striding giant sloth, short faced kangaroo and T rex. AMHs lost much of this density as mental software was selected for better terrestrial balance at different bipedal gaits including sprinting and running.

Re: John Hawks on Sangiran skull thickness

<c0c42489-41d3-4492-83f2-0efdcd9e93cbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9517&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#9517

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 13:12:52 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: John Hawks on Sangiran skull thickness
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Sat, 15 May 2021 20:12 UTC

Op zaterdag 15 mei 2021 om 21:44:05 UTC+2 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

> http://johnhawks.net/weblog/topics/artcards/sangiran-31-calvaria.html

H.erectus evolved pachy-osteo-sclerosis as all other mammals with POS:
all are slow & shallow divers for shellfish (e.g. walrus) or seagrass (e.g.. seacow).
Such POS bone is fragile (too much calcium): it gave no mechanical protection,
besides it was on the wrong side of the head (occipital).
There's no doubt:
H.erectus also had ear exostoses (only seen in humans who spend a lot of time in colder water).

"Homo erectus at Trinil on Java used shells for tool production and engraving"
Josephine Joordens ... Stephen Munro ... 2015 doi 10.1038/nature13962

The manufacture of geometric engravings is generally interpreted as indicative of modern cognition & behaviour.
Is this innovation restricted to H.sapiens? does it have a uniquely African origin?
Here we report on a fossil fresh-water shell assemblage from the Hauptknochenschicht (HKS 'main bone layer') of Trinil (type locality of H.erectus, discovered by Eugène Dubois in 1891).

In the Dubois collection (Naturalis mus. Leiden, NL) we found
- evidence for freshwater shellfish consumption by hominins,
- one unambiguous shell tool &
- a shell with a geometric engraving.

We dated sediment contained in the shells with 40/39Ar & luminescence dating, obtaining
- a max.age of 0.54 Ma ± 0.10,
- a min.age of 0.43 Ma ± 0.05 :
the Trinil HKS is younger than previously estimated.

Our data indicate
- the engraving was made by H.erectus,
- it is considerably older than the oldest geometric engravings described so far.
It is at present not possible to assess the function or meaning of the engraved shell,
but this discovery suggests that engraving abstract patterns was in the realm of Asian H.erectus cognition & neuromotor control.

IOW, only complete imbecils believe H.erectus ran antelopes to exhaustion.

_______

> Sangiran 31 has some of the thickest cranial bone of any fossil member of our genus. Its nuchal torus, or occipital torus, which sticks out above the origin of the trapezius muscles and the insertion of the splenius capitis muscles on the back of the skull, is thicker and more projecting than any other fossil human relative. The fossil only includes the posterior portion of the cranial vault, so we do not know what the face or jaw of this individual would have looked like.
>
> Likewise many Homo erectus skulls have a projecting and well delineated nuchal torus.
>
> With traits that are so distinctive and so different from most living people, it’s natural to ask why these evolved. These are not traits that Homo erectus inherited from earlier hominin ancestors, they evolved within H. erectus and later hominins evolved differently. What was the advantage of a nuchal torus? Why did Homo erectus have such thick cranial bone?
>
> My personal favorite hypothesis is that H. erectus evolved thick cranial bone because it helped resist injuries. This hypothesis is supported by the quite high frequency of healed lesions on the exterior surface of the skull in H. erectus fossils. But this hypothesis does little to explain a structure like the occipital torus, nor does it explain why other populations of ancient humans like the Neandertals had thinner cranial bone, despite also displaying a good number of healed cranial lesions.
> -
> Obligate habitual regular orthograde terrestrial striding/walking, the rearmost part of the skull is densest as it parallels the bony tail of the bipedal striding giant sloth, short faced kangaroo and T rex. AMHs lost much of this density as mental software was selected for better terrestrial balance at different bipedal gaits including sprinting and running.

Re: John Hawks on Sangiran skull thickness

<0faab362-b362-4f85-950b-f7d083708de8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9519&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#9519

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 13:43:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: jte...@gmail.com (I Envy JTEM)
 by: I Envy JTEM - Sat, 15 May 2021 20:43 UTC

DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:

Not one to sweat the minutia, and this is no exception, but this is a
discussion group so I will throw out my 2-cents:

More "Robust" bones means more "robust" muscle use. Period. Seen
anywhere on the skull means their head, neck and/or jaws were
used quite heavily.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/651232370655133696

Re: John Hawks on Sangiran skull thickness

<ebdf8865-8543-4f56-aec0-e93312f90474n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9521&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#9521

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 14:17:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves)
 by: DD'eDeN aka not - Sat, 15 May 2021 21:17 UTC

On Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 4:12:53 PM UTC-4, littor...@gmail.com wrote:
> Op zaterdag 15 mei 2021 om 21:44:05 UTC+2 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:
>
> > http://johnhawks.net/weblog/topics/artcards/sangiran-31-calvaria.html
>
> H.erectus evolved pachy-osteo-sclerosis as all other mammals with POS:

Inland West Central Africans have the highest density bones of all AMHs, higher than Polynesian divers, AMA divers, etc.

> all are slow & shallow divers for shellfish (e.g. walrus) or seagrass (e.g. seacow).
> Such POS bone is fragile (too much calcium):

The manatee rib bone I found was hard like diamond, not fragile at all.

it gave no mechanical protection,
> besides it was on the wrong side of the head (occipital).
> There's no doubt:
> H.erectus also had ear exostoses (only seen in humans who spend a lot of time in colder water).
Odd that POS forms in warm water, while exotoses form in cold water. Perhaps bone forms POS during sleep but exotoses during submersion.
> [...]
> > -
> > Obligate habitual regular orthograde terrestrial striding/walking, the rearmost part of the skull is densest as it parallels the bony tail of the bipedal striding giant sloth, short faced kangaroo and T rex. AMHs lost much of this density as mental software was selected for better terrestrial balance at different bipedal gaits including sprinting and running.

Walking from Pinnacle Point to Java mostly along the rift valley?

Re: John Hawks on Sangiran skull thickness

<ba754af0-bf70-414a-8b3a-79688ffbc45dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9522&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#9522

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 14:24:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves)
 by: DD'eDeN aka not - Sat, 15 May 2021 21:24 UTC

On Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 4:43:32 PM UTC-4, I Envy JTEM wrote:
> DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:
>
> Not one to sweat the minutia, and this is no exception, but this is a
> discussion group so I will throw out my 2-cents:
>
> More "Robust" bones means more "robust" muscle use. Period. Seen
> anywhere on the skull means their head, neck and/or jaws were
> used quite heavily.
>

> -- --
>
> https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/651232370655133696

Early terrestrial tail-less striders had to develop new gaits, see babies trying to walk. That heavy brain needed good muscle anchor attachment, swiveling in 3D, complicated evolution featuring ability to carry fang-spears, coat-domeshield, infants, later embers. Hella complicated.

Re: John Hawks on Sangiran skull thickness

<f7b1a508-1b2d-42f9-935b-caf597ad391fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9523&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#9523

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 15:09:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Sat, 15 May 2021 22:09 UTC

Op zaterdag 15 mei 2021 om 23:17:57 UTC+2 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

> > > http://johnhawks.net/weblog/topics/artcards/sangiran-31-calvaria.html
> > H.erectus evolved pachy-osteo-sclerosis as all other mammals with POS:

> Inland West Central Africans have the highest density bones of all AMHs, higher than Polynesian divers, AMA divers, etc.

My litle little boy, Polynesian divers acquire ear exostoses, but not thicker bone: this is genetic.
Your inland WC-Africans have normal thick bone, not POS of course, please inform befofe talking.

> > all are slow & shallow divers for shellfish (e.g. walrus) or seagrass (e.g. seacow).
> > Such POS bone is fragile (too much calcium):

> The manatee rib bone I found was hard like diamond, not fragile at all.
> it gave no mechanical protection,

No?

> > besides it was on the wrong side of the head (occipital).
> > There's no doubt:
> > H.erectus also had ear exostoses (only seen in humans who spend a lot of time in colder water).

> Odd that POS forms in warm water, while exotoses form in cold water. Perhaps bone forms POS during sleep but exotoses during submersion.

Inform, then talk.

> > "Homo erectus at Trinil on Java used shells for tool production and engraving"
> > Josephine Joordens ... Stephen Munro ... 2015 doi 10.1038/nature13962
> > The manufacture of geometric engravings is generally interpreted as indicative of modern cognition & behaviour.
> > Is this innovation restricted to H.sapiens? does it have a uniquely African origin?
> > Here we report on a fossil fresh-water shell assemblage from the Hauptknochenschicht (HKS 'main bone layer') of Trinil (type locality of H.erectus, discovered by Eugène Dubois in 1891).
> > In the Dubois collection (Naturalis mus. Leiden, NL) we found
> > - evidence for freshwater shellfish consumption by hominins,
> > - one unambiguous shell tool &
> > - a shell with a geometric engraving.
> > We dated sediment contained in the shells with 40/39Ar & luminescence dating, obtaining
> > - a max.age of 0.54 Ma ± 0.10,
> > - a min.age of 0.43 Ma ± 0.05 :
> > the Trinil HKS is younger than previously estimated.
> > Our data indicate
> > - the engraving was made by H.erectus,
> > - it is considerably older than the oldest geometric engravings described so far.
> > It is at present not possible to assess the function or meaning of the engraved shell,
> > but this discovery suggests that engraving abstract patterns was in the realm of Asian H.erectus cognition & neuromotor control.

> > IOW, only complete imbecils believe H.erectus ran antelopes to exhaustion.

Re: John Hawks on Sangiran skull thickness

<152bd762-463e-403f-bb18-e49751ad4733n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9526&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#9526

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 18:52:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves)
 by: DD'eDeN aka not - Sun, 16 May 2021 01:52 UTC

On Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 6:09:56 PM UTC-4, littor...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > H.erectus evolved pachy-osteo-sclerosis as all other mammals with POS:
Not per John Hawks.

> > Inland West Central Africans have the highest density bones of all AMHs, higher than Polynesian divers, AMA divers, etc.
> My litle little boy, Polynesian divers
Surfers, they invented surfing and get surfer's ear, parsimony please.

acquire ear exostoses,

Aka surfer's ear

but not thicker bone: this is genetic.
> Your inland WC-Africans have normal thick bone,

the thickest if all living Homo.

not POS of course,
John Hawks did not apply that label to Sangiran.
please inform befofe talking.
> > > all are slow & shallow divers for shellfish (e.g. walrus) or seagrass (e.g. seacow).
> > > Such POS bone is fragile (too much calcium):
>
> > The manatee rib bone I found was hard like diamond, not fragile at all.

> > it gave no mechanical protection,
> No?
> > > besides it was on the wrong side of the head (occipital).
> > > There's no doubt:
> > > H.erectus also had ear exostoses (only seen in humans who spend a lot of time in colder water).
Surfer's ear.

> > Odd that POS forms in warm water, while exotoses form in cold water. Perhaps bone forms POS during sleep but exotoses during submersion.
> Inform, then talk.
I did. You'll ignore it again, as it doesn't fit your claim.

> > > "Homo erectus at Trinil on Java used shells for tool production and engraving"
> > > Josephine Joordens ... Stephen Munro ... 2015 doi 10.1038/nature13962
> > > The manufacture of geometric engravings is generally interpreted as indicative of modern cognition & behaviour.
> > > Is this innovation restricted to H.sapiens? does it have a uniquely African origin?
> > > Here we report on a fossil fresh-water shell assemblage from the Hauptknochenschicht (HKS 'main bone layer') of Trinil (type locality of H.erectus, discovered by Eugène Dubois in 1891).
> > > In the Dubois collection (Naturalis mus. Leiden, NL) we found
> > > - evidence for freshwater shellfish consumption by hominins,
> > > - one unambiguous shell tool &
> > > - a shell with a geometric engraving.
> > > We dated sediment contained in the shells with 40/39Ar & luminescence dating, obtaining
> > > - a max.age of 0.54 Ma ± 0.10,
> > > - a min.age of 0.43 Ma ± 0.05 :
> > > the Trinil HKS is younger than previously estimated.
> > > Our data indicate
> > > - the engraving was made by H.erectus,
> > > - it is considerably older than the oldest geometric engravings described so far.
> > > It is at present not possible to assess the function or meaning of the engraved shell,
> > > but this discovery suggests that engraving abstract patterns was in the realm of Asian H.erectus cognition & neuromotor control.
>
> > > IOW, only complete imbecils believe H.erectus ran antelopes to exhaustion.
Trinil: inland, shallow stream.

Re: John Hawks on Sangiran skull thickness

<7f260c6b-a0f9-449e-8568-9c47b54b45a6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9527&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#9527

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 01:15:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Sun, 16 May 2021 08:15 UTC

Op zondag 16 mei 2021 om 03:52:59 UTC+2 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

> Not per John Hawks.

Yes, Hawks is still running after kudus.

> > > Inland West Central Africans have the highest density bones of all AMHs, higher than Polynesian divers, AMA divers, etc.

> > My litle little boy, Polynesian divers

> Surfers, they invented surfing and get surfer's ear, parsimony please.

The food is underwater, not at the surface.

> > acquire ear exostoses,

> Aka surfer's ear

> > but not thicker bone: this is genetic.
> > Your inland WC-Africans have normal thick bone,

> the thickest if all living Homo.

Yes, different from archaic Homo.

> > not POS of course,

> John Hawks did not apply that label to Sangiran.

Yes, Hawks is still running after kudus.

> > please inform before talking.

> > > The manatee rib bone I found was hard like diamond, not fragile at all.

??
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pachyosteosclerosis

> > > it gave no mechanical protection,

> > No?

Brittle.

> Surfer's ear.

Yes, cold(er) water.

> > > Odd that POS forms in warm water,

??
POS forms inside the body.

> > > while exotoses form in cold water. Perhaps bone forms POS during sleep but exotoses during submersion.

> > Inform, then talk.

> I did.

You'll ignore it again, as it doesn't fit your claim.

> Trinil: inland, shallow stream.

Shallow??