Conquest is easy. Control is not. -- Kirk, "Mirror, Mirror", stardate unknown

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: The Ukraine War Will Go On Forever

SubjectAuthor
* The Ukraine War Will Go On ForeverMike Monett
+* Re: The Ukraine War Will Go On ForeverPhil Allison
|`- Re: The Ukraine War Will Go On ForeverDecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
+- Re: The Ukraine War Will Go On ForeverEd Lee
+* Re: The Ukraine War Will Go On Foreverjlarkin
> [...]
|  |     ||+* Re: The Ukraine War Will Go On ForeverDavid Brown
|  |     |||`- Re: The Ukraine War Will Go On ForeverDavid Brown
|  |     ||`- Re: The Ukraine War Will Go On ForeverRicky
|  |     |+- Re: The Ukraine War Will Go On Foreverwhit3rd
|  |     |+- Re: The Ukraine War Will Go On ForeverRicky
|  |     |`- Re: The Ukraine War Will Go On ForeverRicky
|  |     `* Re: The Ukraine War Will Go On ForeverRicky
|  |      `- Re: The Ukraine War Will Go On Foreverwhit3rd
|  +- Re: The Ukraine War Will Go On ForeverJeff Liebermann
|  `- Re: The Ukraine War Will Go On ForeverJeff Liebermann
+* Re: The Ukraine War Will Go On ForeverJeff Liebermann
|`* Re: The Ukraine War Will Go On Foreverwmartin
| +* Re: The Ukraine War Will Go On ForeverJeff Liebermann
| |`- Re: The Ukraine War Will Go On Foreverwmartin
| `- Re: The Ukraine War Will Go On Forevernone
`* Re: OT: The Ukraine War Will Go On ForeverJohn Doe
 +* Re: OT: The Ukraine War Will Go On ForeverEdward Hernandez
 |`* Re: OT: The Ukraine War Will Go On ForeverJohn Doe
 | `- Re: OT: The Ukraine War Will Go On ForeverEdward Hernandez
 +* Re: OT: The Ukraine War Will Go On Foreverwhit3rd
 |+* Re: OT: The Ukraine War Will Go On ForeverJohn Doe
 ||+* Re: OT: The Ukraine War Will Go On ForeverJohn Doe
 |||`* Re: OT: The Ukraine War Will Go On ForeverJohn Doe
 ||| `- Re: OT: The Ukraine War Will Go On ForeverEdward Hernandez
 ||`- Re: OT: The Ukraine War Will Go On Foreverwhit3rd
 |`- Re: OT: The Ukraine War Will Go On ForeverJohn Doe
 +* Re: OT: The Ukraine War Will Go On ForeverCursitor Doom
 |+* Re: OT: The Ukraine War Will Go On ForeverJohn Doe
 ||`* Re: OT: The Ukraine War Will Go On ForeverJohn Doe
 || `* Re: OT: The Ukraine War Will Go On ForeverEdward Hernandez
 ||  `* Re: OT: The Ukraine War Will Go On ForeverJohn Doe
 ||   `- Re: OT: The Ukraine War Will Go On ForeverEdward Hernandez
 |+* Re: OT: The Ukraine War Will Go On Foreverbitrex
 ||`* Re: OT: The Ukraine War Will Go On Foreverbitrex
 || `* Re: OT: The Ukraine War Will Go On ForeverJohn Doe
 |`- Re: OT: The Ukraine War Will Go On ForeverJohn Doe
 `- Re: OT: The Ukraine War Will Go On ForeverJohn Doe

Pages:12345
Re: The Ukraine War Will Go On Forever

<nnd$1dcf005a$44479a9d@66b8f9dfddabc51b>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=95493&group=sci.electronics.design#95493

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: The Ukraine War Will Go On Forever
From: alb...@cherry (none)
Originator: albert@cherry.(none) (albert)
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 12:55:37 +0200
 by: none - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 10:55 UTC

In article <t3p1p8$rlk$1@dont-email.me>,
David Brown <david.brown@hesbynett.no> wrote:
> [...]
>plains - Norway does not. So they can only be put at the tops of hills,
>and even then it has to be relatively accessible hilltops (unlike most
>of our hills) relatively near people and infrastructure (unlike most of
>our hills). And people don't want them there.
>
>There could certainly be more off-shore wind generation in Norway, but
>even that has its challenges here. We have rather sharp slopes to deep
>sea, making it more expensive than when you have shallower seas available.
>
>(We also have a big social challenge for wind power in Norway - no one
>wants to see a windmill disrupting nature hillsides or sea views.
>Norwegians also do not want nuclear power stations anywhere near them,
>or gas power. They want to believe that we could be self-sufficient
>with cheap, clean hydroelectric power if only we stopped selling
>electricity abroad, and that expensive, ugly or polluting electricity
>generation is a problem for other countries. It's not true, of course,
>but it's hard to convince some people.)
>

>>> Nuclear power is, without any doubt in my mind, the right answer for
>>> Norway going forward (it works for Finland and Sweden).
>>
>> You may need to do a bit more work on your mind. Nuclear power is
>quite a bit more expensive than wind power.
>>

>Nuclear power has many advantages over wind power (as well as
>disadvantages). Cost in dollars is not the only measure of the best
>choice of power generation. Usable land space is a premium in Norway -
>nuclear takes a fraction of the space compared to wind. Accident, death
>and injury rates per generated unit are negligible for nuclear power in
>comparison to other methods, including wind. (The few accidents that
>have occurred lead to a lot more publicity - you never year about all
>the accidents involved in mounting or maintaining wind turbines.) The
>impact to the environment and nature, in the way Norwegians want to see
>and use their nature, would be much less with nuclear power than wind power.
>
>Then there is the stability of the supply. For power generation, you
>want a base constant stable supply, with extra generation when there are
>peaks in the demand. Wind power is not stable (unless it is very high
>masts out at sea), and goes up and down independently from demand.
>Nuclear power (which is very stable) combined with hydroelectric (which
>we have, and which can be turned up and down quickly as needed) is an
>ideal combination - far better than covering half the country in
>windmills and massive lithium battery arrays.
>
>>> But solar and wind power combined with good grid storage (maybe
>sodium ion batteries?)
>>> could well be the right answer for Australia.
>>
>> Vanadium flow batteries seem to be correct choice on technical grounds.
>>

>Yes, except that vanadium is poisonous and expensive, and there is
>significant energy inefficiency in the charge/discharge cycle. If
>someone figured out a good basis for flow batteries that avoid these

Beryllium is proposed to use in modern reactor design.
It is likewise extremely toxic, not on a par with lead or cadmium.

Groetjes Albert
--
"in our communism country Viet Nam, people are forced to be
alive and in the western country like US, people are free to

Re: The Ukraine War Will Go On Forever

<nnd$6e215036$0fd096fe@66b8f9dfddabc51b>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=95494&group=sci.electronics.design#95494

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: alb...@cherry (none)
Originator: albert@cherry.(none) (albert)
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 13:13:40 +0200
 by: none - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 11:13 UTC

In article <t3n22a$5dq$2@dont-email.me>, wmartin <wwm@wwmartin.net> wrote:
>On 4/19/22 10:47, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 Apr 2022 05:21:20 -0000 (UTC), Mike Monett <spamme@not.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The Ukraine war is a spiritual war. Spiritual wars are the most dangerous.
>>> It will go on forever.
>>
>> Nope. Methinks it's an economic war. Russia just finished building
>> an $11 billion offshore natural gas pipeline to Germany primarily to
>> bypass transit charges for the existing pipelines crossing Ukraine.
>>
>> "The Engineering Behind Russia's Deadlocked Pipeline: Nord Stream 2"
>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzibtVSamrY>
>>
>> As the process of certifying the pipeline blundered forward, the
>> stumbling block seemed to be getting approval by various countries
>> which stood to lose transit revenue for existing pipelines:
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nord_Stream#Regulatory_clearance>
>>
>> "Russia-Ukraine gas disputes"
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia%E2%80%93Ukraine_gas_disputes>
>>
>> It seems to be an amazing coincidence that Russia would invade Ukraine
>> just after certification negotiations were going too slow. Just
>> connect the (pipeline) dots and follow the money:
>> <https://mondediplo.com/IMG/jpg/lmd_0521_13_gazoducs_rgb.jpg>
>> Maps with much more detail:
>> <http://www.entsog.eu/maps#transmission-capacity-map-2021>
>>
>> "When somebody says it’s not about the money, it’s about the money."
>> H. L. Mencken
>>

>Isn't there supposed to be a huge natural gas reservoir under Eastern
>Ukraine? Another amazing coincidence!

Sure enough, but I find it entirely believable that religion is
used to "inspire" soldiers to fight.

Groetjes Albert
--
"in our communism country Viet Nam, people are forced to be
alive and in the western country like US, people are free to
die from Covid 19 lol" duc ha

Re: The Ukraine War Will Go On Forever

<8f4d0398-cda0-5d73-0392-13e6e5233398@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=95507&group=sci.electronics.design#95507

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 10:20:07 -0400
 by: Phil Hobbs - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 14:20 UTC

albert wrote:

>>> Vanadium flow batteries seem to be correct choice on technical grounds.
>>>

>> Yes, except that vanadium is poisonous and expensive, and there is
>> significant energy inefficiency in the charge/discharge cycle. If
>> someone figured out a good basis for flow batteries that avoid these
>> problems, that would be good news.
>
> Beryllium is proposed to use in modern reactor design.
> It is likewise extremely toxic, not on a par with lead or cadmium.

Heavy metal ions have the very comforting feature that they bind
strongly to clay minerals, and so don't go anywhere in ground water.
The Oklo natural reactor in Gabon went critical (iirc) 1.5E9 years ago,
and its fission products have travelled about a mile in that time.

Dunno about Be.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Re: The Ukraine War Will Go On Forever

<km5g6hpeulphol7ck9h431en1hmv8o1kmk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=95516&group=sci.electronics.design#95516

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 09:03:26 -0700
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 16:03 UTC

On Tue, 26 Apr 2022 10:20:07 -0400, Phil Hobbs

>>> Yes, except that vanadium is poisonous and expensive, and there is
>>> significant energy inefficiency in the charge/discharge cycle. If
>>> someone figured out a good basis for flow batteries that avoid these
>>> problems, that would be good news.
>>
>> Beryllium is proposed to use in modern reactor design.
>> It is likewise extremely toxic, not on a par with lead or cadmium.
>

>Heavy metal ions have the very comforting feature that they bind
>strongly to clay minerals, and so don't go anywhere in ground water.
>The Oklo natural reactor in Gabon went critical (iirc) 1.5E9 years ago,
>and its fission products have travelled about a mile in that time.
>
>Dunno about Be.
>
>Cheers
>
>Phil Hobbs

BeO is an even better heat conductor than AlN, but is deprecated
because its dust may be toxic. That's not a serious real-world issue.

I visited a test site (DHART, a giant linear-induction accelerator
x-ray machine) at Los Alamos. There were Be bits everywhere so we had
to wear booties and stuff to go outside.

--

Anybody can count to one.

- Robert Widlar