On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog. -- Cartoon caption

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Kamyr - Norwegian wod.

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Kamyr - Norwegian wod.bitrex
`* Re: Kamyr - Norwegian wod.John Larkin
 +- Re: Kamyr - Norwegian wod.John Larkin
 `* Re: Kamyr - Norwegian wod.bitrex
  `* Re: Kamyr - Norwegian wod.Ricky
   `- Re: Kamyr - Norwegian wod.whit3rd

1
Re: Kamyr - Norwegian wod.

<K_h8K.88723$Kdf.64465@fx96.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=95220&group=sci.electronics.design#95220

Subject: Re: Kamyr - Norwegian wod.
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 15:10:32 -0400
 by: bitrex - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 19:10 UTC

On 4/21/2022 4:24 AM, Anthony William Sloman wrote:
> David Brown has suggested that I don';t know as much about Norway as I ought, but I am a full bottle on one aspect Norwegian industrial history.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johan_Richter_(inventor)
>
> worked for the company Kamyr, which made and sold equipment for the paper industry. I met him when he and his wife visited Tasmania in the 1950s.
>
> Around 1950 Kamyr sold a continuous digester to the Associated Pulp and Paper Mills at Burnie, Tasmania where my father was research manager .
>
> It was the sixth one sold and the only one modified to run my father's patented two stage cook.
>
> Instead of sticking fresh NaOH solution into the top of the digester with the raw wood chips, his scheme stuck it halfway down and took out the depleted solution with the digested wood chips at the bottom, but then piped it up to the top of the digester where it was still strong enough to start the process of digesting the raw wood chip. That let you get by with 16 tons of NaOH per hundred tons of wood chips, rather than 22 tons.
>
> Obviously this was a crude approximation to counter-current cooking.
>
> Mu father eventually worked out a scheme to run his digester fully counter current and it worked, and the company patented the idea. That got by with 12 tons of NaOH per hundred tons of wood chips, and cooked the chips even faster.
>
> Johan Richter had spent ten years trying to get his counter-current scheme to work, and was impressed. Kamyr - as an organisation - wasn't and never paid any royalties, though they did sell their digesters set up to run counter-current.
>
> Johan Richter's history of the company reflects the official line, but the copy he sent to my father had a rather more complimentary handwritten message on the title page.

IDK if it's this way everywhere but paper plants in the US tend to stink
like shit, I'd rather hang out down wind of a sewage treatment facility
than a paper plant.

Re: Kamyr - Norwegian wod.

<j5c36hl21ef33n55ekjtat9mn62k2u8oii@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=95221&group=sci.electronics.design#95221

From: jlar...@highland_atwork_technology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 12:37:18 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 19:37 UTC

On Thu, 21 Apr 2022 15:10:32 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:

>On 4/21/2022 4:24 AM, Anthony William Sloman wrote:
>> David Brown has suggested that I don';t know as much about Norway as I ought, but I am a full bottle on one aspect Norwegian industrial history.
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johan_Richter_(inventor)
>>
>> worked for the company Kamyr, which made and sold equipment for the paper industry. I met him when he and his wife visited Tasmania in the 1950s.
>>
>> Around 1950 Kamyr sold a continuous digester to the Associated Pulp and Paper Mills at Burnie, Tasmania where my father was research manager .
>>
>> It was the sixth one sold and the only one modified to run my father's patented two stage cook.
>>
>> Instead of sticking fresh NaOH solution into the top of the digester with the raw wood chips, his scheme stuck it halfway down and took out the depleted solution with the digested wood chips at the bottom, but then piped it up to the top of the digester where it was still strong enough to start the process of digesting the raw wood chip. That let you get by with 16 tons of NaOH per hundred tons of wood chips, rather than 22 tons.
>>
>> Obviously this was a crude approximation to counter-current cooking.
>>
>> Mu father eventually worked out a scheme to run his digester fully counter current and it worked, and the company patented the idea. That got by with 12 tons of NaOH per hundred tons of wood chips, and cooked the chips even faster.
>>
>> Johan Richter had spent ten years trying to get his counter-current scheme to work, and was impressed. Kamyr - as an organisation - wasn't and never paid any royalties, though they did sell their digesters set up to run counter-current.
>>
>> Johan Richter's history of the company reflects the official line, but the copy he sent to my father had a rather more complimentary handwritten message on the title page.
>>

>IDK if it's this way everywhere but paper plants in the US tend to stink
>like shit, I'd rather hang out down wind of a sewage treatment facility
>than a paper plant.

I have toured the sewers of Paris and the giant wastewater treatment
plant in se San Francisco. The sf tour was much more interesting and
smelled a lot better.

SF has one combined sewage and runoff system, but it doesn't rain a
lot here so that's not too unreasonable.

--

If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end with doubts,
but if he will be content to begin with doubts he shall end in certainties.

Re: Kamyr - Norwegian wod.

<qin36htrnn4rshqu503fs84ndqqk64snlq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=95228&group=sci.electronics.design#95228

From: jlar...@highland_atwork_technology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 15:45:51 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 22:45 UTC

On Thu, 21 Apr 2022 12:37:18 -0700, John Larkin
<jlarkin@highland_atwork_technology.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Apr 2022 15:10:32 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:
>
>>On 4/21/2022 4:24 AM, Anthony William Sloman wrote:
>>> David Brown has suggested that I don';t know as much about Norway as I ought, but I am a full bottle on one aspect Norwegian industrial history.
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johan_Richter_(inventor)
>>>
>>> worked for the company Kamyr, which made and sold equipment for the paper industry. I met him when he and his wife visited Tasmania in the 1950s.
>>>
>>> Around 1950 Kamyr sold a continuous digester to the Associated Pulp and Paper Mills at Burnie, Tasmania where my father was research manager .
>>>
>>> It was the sixth one sold and the only one modified to run my father's patented two stage cook.
>>>
>>> Instead of sticking fresh NaOH solution into the top of the digester with the raw wood chips, his scheme stuck it halfway down and took out the depleted solution with the digested wood chips at the bottom, but then piped it up to the top of the digester where it was still strong enough to start the process of digesting the raw wood chip. That let you get by with 16 tons of NaOH per hundred tons of wood chips, rather than 22 tons.
>>>
>>> Obviously this was a crude approximation to counter-current cooking.
>>>
>>> Mu father eventually worked out a scheme to run his digester fully counter current and it worked, and the company patented the idea. That got by with 12 tons of NaOH per hundred tons of wood chips, and cooked the chips even faster.
>>>
>>> Johan Richter had spent ten years trying to get his counter-current scheme to work, and was impressed. Kamyr - as an organisation - wasn't and never paid any royalties, though they did sell their digesters set up to run counter-current.
>>>
>>> Johan Richter's history of the company reflects the official line, but the copy he sent to my father had a rather more complimentary handwritten message on the title page.
>>>

>>IDK if it's this way everywhere but paper plants in the US tend to stink
>>like shit, I'd rather hang out down wind of a sewage treatment facility
>>than a paper plant.
>

>I have toured the sewers of Paris and the giant wastewater treatment
>plant in se San Francisco. The sf tour was much more interesting and
>smelled a lot better.
>
>SF has one combined sewage and runoff system, but it doesn't rain a
>lot here so that's not too unreasonable.

The Paris sewer visit includes a cafe, which makes lunch interesting.

--

If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end with doubts,
but if he will be content to begin with doubts he shall end in certainties.
Francis Bacon

Re: Kamyr - Norwegian wod.

<rrn8K.88773$Kdf.15678@fx96.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=95230&group=sci.electronics.design#95230

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 21:22:29 -0400
 by: bitrex - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 01:22 UTC

On 4/21/2022 3:37 PM, John Larkin wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Apr 2022 15:10:32 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:
>
>> On 4/21/2022 4:24 AM, Anthony William Sloman wrote:
>>> David Brown has suggested that I don';t know as much about Norway as I ought, but I am a full bottle on one aspect Norwegian industrial history.
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johan_Richter_(inventor)
>>>
>>> worked for the company Kamyr, which made and sold equipment for the paper industry. I met him when he and his wife visited Tasmania in the 1950s.
>>>
>>> Around 1950 Kamyr sold a continuous digester to the Associated Pulp and Paper Mills at Burnie, Tasmania where my father was research manager .
>>>
>>> It was the sixth one sold and the only one modified to run my father's patented two stage cook.
>>>
>>> Instead of sticking fresh NaOH solution into the top of the digester with the raw wood chips, his scheme stuck it halfway down and took out the depleted solution with the digested wood chips at the bottom, but then piped it up to the top of the digester where it was still strong enough to start the process of digesting the raw wood chip. That let you get by with 16 tons of NaOH per hundred tons of wood chips, rather than 22 tons.
>>>
>>> Obviously this was a crude approximation to counter-current cooking.
>>>
>>> Mu father eventually worked out a scheme to run his digester fully counter current and it worked, and the company patented the idea. That got by with 12 tons of NaOH per hundred tons of wood chips, and cooked the chips even faster.
>>>
>>> Johan Richter had spent ten years trying to get his counter-current scheme to work, and was impressed. Kamyr - as an organisation - wasn't and never paid any royalties, though they did sell their digesters set up to run counter-current.
>>>
>>> Johan Richter's history of the company reflects the official line, but the copy he sent to my father had a rather more complimentary handwritten message on the title page.
>>>

>> IDK if it's this way everywhere but paper plants in the US tend to stink
>> like shit, I'd rather hang out down wind of a sewage treatment facility
>> than a paper plant.
>

> I have toured the sewers of Paris and the giant wastewater treatment
> plant in se San Francisco. The sf tour was much more interesting and
> smelled a lot better.
>
> SF has one combined sewage and runoff system, but it doesn't rain a
> lot here so that's not too unreasonable.

I think sewage treatment plants have gotten a lot better about hydrogen
sulfide and other noxious fume releases, I can't think of a time I've
driven past one where it smelled very foul. Maybe paper plants are
better now too, the one I'm remembering is from maybe 20 years ago in
northern New Hampshire, a really large facility and boy did it stink
that day from several miles away.

When I was a kid there was a chocolate bar factory a few towns over from
the town I grew up in, it often smelled like hot cocoa on summer days
driving by with my late father. But imagine being a neighbor and
smelling the hot cocoa for hours, days, weeks at a time...probably gets
old fast

Re: Kamyr - Norwegian wod.

<ead2904d-7aff-496b-ba72-353729dadc8an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=95254&group=sci.electronics.design#95254

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 09:21:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Ricky)
 by: Ricky - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 16:21 UTC

On Thursday, April 21, 2022 at 9:22:38 PM UTC-4, bitrex wrote:
> On 4/21/2022 3:37 PM, John Larkin wrote:

> >> IDK if it's this way everywhere but paper plants in the US tend to stink
> >> like shit, I'd rather hang out down wind of a sewage treatment facility
> >> than a paper plant.
> >

> > I have toured the sewers of Paris and the giant wastewater treatment
> > plant in se San Francisco. The sf tour was much more interesting and
> > smelled a lot better.
> >
> > SF has one combined sewage and runoff system, but it doesn't rain a
> > lot here so that's not too unreasonable.
> >
> I think sewage treatment plants have gotten a lot better about hydrogen
> sulfide and other noxious fume releases, I can't think of a time I've
> driven past one where it smelled very foul. Maybe paper plants are
> better now too, the one I'm remembering is from maybe 20 years ago in
> northern New Hampshire, a really large facility and boy did it stink
> that day from several miles away.
>
> When I was a kid there was a chocolate bar factory a few towns over from
> the town I grew up in, it often smelled like hot cocoa on summer days
> driving by with my late father. But imagine being a neighbor and
> smelling the hot cocoa for hours, days, weeks at a time...probably gets
> old fast

I think it is Seattle that has a pulp mill near the airport. You walk out of the building and WHAM! Welcome to Seattle!

I'll take hot cocoa any day!

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: Kamyr - Norwegian wod.

<1c218037-d64d-4f33-83e2-6ac6cb671f68n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=95612&group=sci.electronics.design#95612

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 13:01:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 20:01 UTC

On Friday, April 22, 2022 at 9:21:22 AM UTC-7, Ricky wrote:

> I think it is Seattle that has a pulp mill near the airport. You walk out of the building and WHAM! Welcome to Seattle!

The main airport (Seattle-Tacoma international) did get some of the famed Aroma of Tacoma...