Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 14:08:32 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Roads
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 22:08 UTC

Yesterday I was riding through Fremont and Union City and the roads are becoming more and more like Oakland, San Leandro and San Lorenzo. Swerving to miss pole holes and having passing traffic going 45-50 mph honking at you to stay out of their way is really irritating when there is plenty of room and in Fremont the bike lanes are twice as wide as elsewhere so that you get nowhere near the traffic lanes while doing this. I did do something that irritated traffic. There is one place in south Hayward where there is a stop light and ahead of this four or so stoplights is another light on a busy street with the lanes going my way split in three - left, right turns only and straight. With no traffic at the stop light I pulled across and into the center lane When the light changes I go straight while pulling over to the bike lane but some cars don't like the idea of me running a stop light even though that light has no traffic except when there is a BART shift change which is hours after I go through that area. When I do this I don't block the right turn lane which I would be forced to do if I allow the other traffic to go on the light change and that is where all of the Hispanic drivers commute and they hate not being able to drive through a right turn on red.

Riding Saturday and Sunday leaves me with a real tired Sunday and I take any advantage I can. Wait till you get older.