It's gonna be alright, It's almost midnight, And I've got two more bottles of wine.

interests / sci.anthropology.paleo / Re: How did they dive?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: How did they dive?C. H. Engelbrecht
`* Re: How did they dive?DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves
 `* Re: How did they dive?C. H. Engelbrecht
  `* Re: How did they dive?DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves
   `* Re: How did they dive?C. H. Engelbrecht
    `* Re: How did they dive?DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves
     `* Re: How did they dive?C. H. Engelbrecht
      `* Re: How did they dive?DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves
       `- Re: How did they dive?C. H. Engelbrecht

1
Re: How did they dive?

<710ec09a-efe9-4d52-be6e-8e7a69474a6an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9564&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#9564

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 02:32:05 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: How did they dive?
From: c.h.enge...@gmail.com (C. H. Engelbrecht)
 by: C. H. Engelbrecht - Fri, 21 May 2021 09:32 UTC

torsdag den 20. maj 2021 kl. 00.36.01 UTC+2 skrev littor...@gmail.com:
> AFAWK, early-Pleistocene archaic Homo dived for shellfish (google "coastal dispersal Pleistocene Homo PPT"), but how exactly did they dive?
>
> Stephen Munro (who discovered the Pleistocene shell engravings on Java, google "Joordens Munro") suggested this diving-cycle:
> while back-floating, they hyperventilated several times, then (after about a minute?) exhaled so that the upper part of the body sank, they head-first reached the bottom, collected shellfish (for about a minute?), and then pushed off with the legs, and reached the surface head-first (nose-first), then strongly inhaled so that they naturally back-floated again.

I doesn't need to be that complex, just look at how the Moken or Bajau does it today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIKm3Pq9U8M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmZJyPwbjFk

Re: How did they dive?

<5c84ca73-9466-47f5-9573-c4b5f424999en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9565&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#9565

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 08:30:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves)
 by: DD'eDeN aka not - Fri, 21 May 2021 15:30 UTC

On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 5:32:06 AM UTC-4, C. H. Engelbrecht wrote:
> torsdag den 20. maj 2021 kl. 00.36.01 UTC+2 skrev littor...@gmail.com:
> > AFAWK, early-Pleistocene archaic Homo dived for shellfish (google "coastal dispersal Pleistocene Homo PPT"), but how exactly did they dive?
> >
> > Stephen Munro (who discovered the Pleistocene shell engravings on Java, google "Joordens Munro") suggested this diving-cycle:
> > while back-floating, they hyperventilated several times, then (after about a minute?) exhaled so that the upper part of the body sank, they head-first reached the bottom, collected shellfish (for about a minute?), and then pushed off with the legs, and reached the surface head-first (nose-first), then strongly inhaled so that they naturally back-floated again.
> I doesn't need to be that complex, just look at how the Moken or Bajau does it today.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIKm3Pq9U8M
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmZJyPwbjFk

"Freediving with bull sharks (no scuba gear), to some, might be considered foolish.

The apex predators, which occur in tropical and subtropical waters, have been implicated in at least 100 attacks on humans, according to the International Shark Attack File. More than two dozen attacks resulted in fatalities."

600lb. Bull shark photographed at Florida coast: Google news

Baby human photographed backfloating at Florida coast: ?

Re: How did they dive?

<5b1cf01a-4cfa-4388-b1a7-eb07d2b81fb2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9566&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#9566

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 08:48:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: c.h.enge...@gmail.com (C. H. Engelbrecht)
 by: C. H. Engelbrecht - Fri, 21 May 2021 15:48 UTC

fredag den 21. maj 2021 kl. 17.30.39 UTC+2 skrev DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:
> On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 5:32:06 AM UTC-4, C. H. Engelbrecht wrote:
> > torsdag den 20. maj 2021 kl. 00.36.01 UTC+2 skrev littor...@gmail.com:
> > > AFAWK, early-Pleistocene archaic Homo dived for shellfish (google "coastal dispersal Pleistocene Homo PPT"), but how exactly did they dive?
> > >
> > > Stephen Munro (who discovered the Pleistocene shell engravings on Java, google "Joordens Munro") suggested this diving-cycle:
> > > while back-floating, they hyperventilated several times, then (after about a minute?) exhaled so that the upper part of the body sank, they head-first reached the bottom, collected shellfish (for about a minute?), and then pushed off with the legs, and reached the surface head-first (nose-first), then strongly inhaled so that they naturally back-floated again.
> > I doesn't need to be that complex, just look at how the Moken or Bajau does it today.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIKm3Pq9U8M
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmZJyPwbjFk
> "Freediving with bull sharks (no scuba gear), to some, might be considered foolish.
>
> The apex predators, which occur in tropical and subtropical waters, have been implicated in at least 100 attacks on humans, according to the International Shark Attack File. More than two dozen attacks resulted in fatalities."
>
> 600lb. Bull shark photographed at Florida coast: Google news
>
> Baby human photographed backfloating at Florida coast: ?

Isn't it funny how the mere existence of bloodthirsty sharks and crocs in the water makes human semiaquatic ancestry completely impossible, but equally gruesome lions and hyenas in the savannah also tearing your baby limb from limb, that has never been a problem for paleoanthropology.

At the least with sharks, we can flee the damn water to escape the predator.. Yes, we may lose grandma in the initial attack, but I'd say a slow running, bipedal ape species has a much, much better chance of surviving lurking ferocious predators on the beach than on the wide, wide, wide open savannah..

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/06/29/jaws.anniversary/t1larg.jaws.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2odAXog.gif

Re: How did they dive?

<df2c6ca8-2940-4e92-8003-304723775857n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9567&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#9567

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 09:17:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves)
 by: DD'eDeN aka not - Fri, 21 May 2021 16:17 UTC

On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 11:48:43 AM UTC-4, C. H. Engelbrecht wrote:
> fredag den 21. maj 2021 kl. 17.30.39 UTC+2 skrev DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

> > > I doesn't need to be that complex, just look at how the Moken or Bajau does it today.
> > >
> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIKm3Pq9U8M
> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmZJyPwbjFk
> > "Freediving with bull sharks (no scuba gear), to some, might be considered foolish.
> >
> > The apex predators, which occur in tropical and subtropical waters, have been implicated in at least 100 attacks on humans, according to the International Shark Attack File. More than two dozen attacks resulted in fatalities."
> >
> > 600lb. Bull shark photographed at Florida coast: Google news
> >
> > Baby human photographed backfloating at Florida coast: ?
> Isn't it funny how the mere existence of bloodthirsty sharks and crocs in the water makes human semiaquatic ancestry completely impossible, but equally gruesome lions and hyenas in the savannah also tearing your baby limb from limb, that has never been a problem for paleoanthropology.
>
> At the least with sharks, we can flee the damn water to escape the predator. Yes, we may lose grandma in the initial attack, but I'd say a slow running, bipedal ape species has a much, much better chance of surviving lurking ferocious predators on the beach than on the wide, wide, wide open savannah.
>
> http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/06/29/jaws.anniversary/t1larg.jaws.jpg
> http://i.imgur.com/2odAXog.gif

Smile when you say 'crocodile', they'll smile back. But they won't roll over unless they've got good reason.
IIRC, MV "why would they need stick tools?"

Re: How did they dive?

<5b781aa4-e507-43b3-aff6-84e0f6db61f8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9568&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#9568

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 09:29:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: c.h.enge...@gmail.com (C. H. Engelbrecht)
 by: C. H. Engelbrecht - Fri, 21 May 2021 16:29 UTC

fredag den 21. maj 2021 kl. 18.17.24 UTC+2 skrev DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:
> On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 11:48:43 AM UTC-4, C. H. Engelbrecht wrote:
> > fredag den 21. maj 2021 kl. 17.30.39 UTC+2 skrev DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

> > > "Freediving with bull sharks (no scuba gear), to some, might be considered foolish.
> > >
> > > The apex predators, which occur in tropical and subtropical waters, have been implicated in at least 100 attacks on humans, according to the International Shark Attack File. More than two dozen attacks resulted in fatalities."
> > >
> > > 600lb. Bull shark photographed at Florida coast: Google news
> > >
> > > Baby human photographed backfloating at Florida coast: ?
> > Isn't it funny how the mere existence of bloodthirsty sharks and crocs in the water makes human semiaquatic ancestry completely impossible, but equally gruesome lions and hyenas in the savannah also tearing your baby limb from limb, that has never been a problem for paleoanthropology.
> >
> > At the least with sharks, we can flee the damn water to escape the predator. Yes, we may lose grandma in the initial attack, but I'd say a slow running, bipedal ape species has a much, much better chance of surviving lurking ferocious predators on the beach than on the wide, wide, wide open savannah.
> >
> > http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/06/29/jaws.anniversary/t1larg.jaws.jpg
> > http://i.imgur.com/2odAXog.gif
> Smile when you say 'crocodile', they'll smile back. But they won't roll over unless they've got good reason.
> IIRC, MV "why would they need stick tools?"

Yeah, that didn't address my point at all, did it?

There are gruesome predators in all habitats eager to slaughter and eat us. Why are sharks and crocs a much bigger problem for human evolution than, say, lions and hyenas?

Re: How did they dive?

<82b57f0d-4a4a-4396-9b02-941d00258697n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9570&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#9570

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 09:37:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves)
 by: DD'eDeN aka not - Fri, 21 May 2021 16:37 UTC

On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 12:29:21 PM UTC-4, C. H. Engelbrecht wrote:
> fredag den 21. maj 2021 kl. 18.17.24 UTC+2 skrev DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

> > > Isn't it funny how the mere existence of bloodthirsty sharks and crocs in the water makes human semiaquatic ancestry completely impossible, but equally gruesome lions and hyenas in the savannah also tearing your baby limb from limb, that has never been a problem for paleoanthropology.
> > >
> > > At the least with sharks, we can flee the damn water to escape the predator. Yes, we may lose grandma in the initial attack, but I'd say a slow running, bipedal ape species has a much, much better chance of surviving lurking ferocious predators on the beach than on the wide, wide, wide open savannah.
> > >
> > > http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/06/29/jaws.anniversary/t1larg.jaws.jpg
> > > http://i.imgur.com/2odAXog.gif
> > Smile when you say 'crocodile', they'll smile back. But they won't roll over unless they've got good reason.
> > IIRC, MV "why would they need stick tools?"
> Yeah, that didn't address my point at all, did it?
>
> There are gruesome predators in all habitats eager to slaughter and eat us. Why are sharks and crocs a much bigger problem for human evolution than, say, lions and hyenas?

Pygmies don't chase kudu antelope and don't get chased by lions or hyenas, but are occasionally killed by crocodiles and venomous snakes, mostly while within 200 meters of open water and far away from open savannas.

Re: How did they dive?

<1dd1cbd7-b806-4e28-9d0a-649e80261627n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9571&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#9571

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 11:02:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: c.h.enge...@gmail.com (C. H. Engelbrecht)
 by: C. H. Engelbrecht - Fri, 21 May 2021 18:02 UTC

fredag den 21. maj 2021 kl. 18.37.37 UTC+2 skrev DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:
> On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 12:29:21 PM UTC-4, C. H. Engelbrecht wrote:
> > fredag den 21. maj 2021 kl. 18.17.24 UTC+2 skrev DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

> > > Smile when you say 'crocodile', they'll smile back. But they won't roll over unless they've got good reason.
> > > IIRC, MV "why would they need stick tools?"
> > Yeah, that didn't address my point at all, did it?
> >
> > There are gruesome predators in all habitats eager to slaughter and eat us. Why are sharks and crocs a much bigger problem for human evolution than, say, lions and hyenas?
> Pygmies don't chase kudu antelope and don't get chased by lions or hyenas, but are occasionally killed by crocodiles and venomous snakes, mostly while within 200 meters of open water and far away from open savannas.

I would very much like to know your source for that pile of bullshit.

Re: How did they dive?

<d6d5c26d-9ffb-4f3a-bea5-98f00c4eb4d9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9572&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#9572

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 15:21:22 -0700 (PDT)
References: <cd76f8aa-190d-46d5-9cc7-fa1d160a83adn@googlegroups.com> <710ec09a-efe9-4d52-be6e-8e7a69474a6an@googlegroups.com> <5c84ca73-9466-47f5-9573-c4b5f424999en@googlegroups.com> <5b1cf01a-4cfa-4388-b1a7-eb07d2b81fb2n@googlegroups.com> <df2c6ca8-2940-4e92-8003-304723775857n@googlegroups.com> <5b781aa4-e507-43b3-aff6-84e0f6db61f8n@googlegroups.com> <82b57f0d-4a4a-4396-9b02-941d00258697n@googlegroups.com> <1dd1cbd7-b806-4e28-9d0a-649e80261627n@googlegroups.com>
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves)
 by: DD'eDeN aka not - Fri, 21 May 2021 22:21 UTC

On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 2:02:28 PM UTC-4, C. H. Engelbrecht wrote:
> fredag den 21. maj 2021 kl. 18.37.37 UTC+2 skrev DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

> > > Yeah, that didn't address my point at all, did it?
> > >
> > > There are gruesome predators in all habitats eager to slaughter and eat us. Why are sharks and crocs a much bigger problem for human evolution than, say, lions and hyenas?
> > Pygmies don't chase kudu antelope and don't get chased by lions or hyenas, but are occasionally killed by crocodiles and venomous snakes, mostly while within 200 meters of open water and far away from open savannas.
> I would very much like to know your source for that pile of bullshit.

No, you wouldn't.

Re: How did they dive?

<452e9c80-3b7d-478d-ba83-1a66c27fb15fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9573&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#9573

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 15:36:27 -0700 (PDT)
References: <cd76f8aa-190d-46d5-9cc7-fa1d160a83adn@googlegroups.com> <710ec09a-efe9-4d52-be6e-8e7a69474a6an@googlegroups.com> <5c84ca73-9466-47f5-9573-c4b5f424999en@googlegroups.com> <5b1cf01a-4cfa-4388-b1a7-eb07d2b81fb2n@googlegroups.com> <df2c6ca8-2940-4e92-8003-304723775857n@googlegroups.com> <5b781aa4-e507-43b3-aff6-84e0f6db61f8n@googlegroups.com> <82b57f0d-4a4a-4396-9b02-941d00258697n@googlegroups.com> <1dd1cbd7-b806-4e28-9d0a-649e80261627n@googlegroups.com> <d6d5c26d-9ffb-4f3a-bea5-98f00c4eb4d9n@googlegroups.com>
From: c.h.enge...@gmail.com (C. H. Engelbrecht)
 by: C. H. Engelbrecht - Fri, 21 May 2021 22:36 UTC

lørdag den 22. maj 2021 kl. 00.21.23 UTC+2 skrev DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:
> On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 2:02:28 PM UTC-4, C. H. Engelbrecht wrote:
> > fredag den 21. maj 2021 kl. 18.37.37 UTC+2 skrev DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:

> > > Pygmies don't chase kudu antelope and don't get chased by lions or hyenas, but are occasionally killed by crocodiles and venomous snakes, mostly while within 200 meters of open water and far away from open savannas.
> > I would very much like to know your source for that pile of bullshit.
> No, you wouldn't.

Bubba, you wanna take that bass outta your voice, when you talking to me?