Truly simple systems... require infinite testing. -- Norman Augustine

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Winter jackets

SubjectAuthor
* Winter jacketsTom Kunich
`- Re: Winter jacketsJeff Liebermann

1
Winter jackets

<50ceb968-6996-4277-848f-a7ff2d746a35n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=96442&group=rec.bicycles.tech#96442

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 11:49:23 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Winter jackets
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 19:49 UTC

I paid $25 for a Chinese winter jacket. I tries it yesterday and in the 40 degree weather (4.5 degrees C) it was warm and pretty wind proof as well. The weather report said that we would have good weather all week but coming out this morning the ground was completely wet. I wonder if that is their most recent definition of good weather.

One of the problems with the Chinese clothing now is that they seem to have the idea that Americans all have Arnold Swartzeneger-like chests. So this makes the clothing a little too wide in the chest for their winter cloths. The summer jersey's don't seem to have this problem.

On the way up Cull Canyon the deep cutaways at the edges of the road from last season's rains must have caused some concerns and they had a road crew out there with a small bull dozer/shovel arm, tearing the side of the raised side of the hill out and filling those long deep ditches in. It happened that they were on the edge of the 9% climb section so that I got over the climb only to stop. On the way back down for some reason they had a lot of traffic backed up so I didn't even notice riding over that short steep downhill and was looking for it until I hit the winery plantings and realized I was past it.

I turned up the Heyer Ave. hill and indeed the bottom 2/3rds was no problem but the top 1/3 over the top was at least 9% and was hard to get over. At least there was no traffic on Tuesday. Over the top I was trying to catch my breath for what I thought was 3 blocks but should have been 4. So I turned down the wrong block which really wasn't a problem since it did connect with a cross street. Rudy's Donuts was closed until this Saturday so I read the notice and continued on to home. I went over Fairmont Hill and did the 1/2 mile of 9% and then the long descent to bay level. You would think after a couple of asses breaking through the fence and busting up some CHP private vehicles in the parking lot that the CHP would watch that intersection more closely but as I approached that blinking red light intersection the car passed me and then pulled into my lane made a right turn without stopping and a car on the left made a left turn without stopping. And Krygowski believes that bicyclists need to take college courses on how to ride a bike. Next he will tell us that car drivers in his area all drive within the law.

In any case, despite a stop at the top of Cull Canyon to relieve myself and stopping at Rudy's to read the closed notice I did 27 miles in 2 hours and 20 minutes. That included a 10 minute or more stop at the road work because the bull dozer was maneuvering all over the road to push dirt into the deep rain gutters. After that the downhill traffic received right of way and we had to wait for it to come down the 500 yards or more. There will be about another quarter of a mile counting three other places where that occurred.

In the end I average 11.5 mph for a 27 mile ride with 1440 feet of climbing.. This is time for Flunky to tell us that he could do it faster. That would be BS because I never for a minute believed that he raced unless you count coming in dead last in a Cat 5 race.

Re: Winter jackets

<2g8gmitk18c00ds371o1cg1i3jh0a46jab@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=96471&group=rec.bicycles.tech#96471

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Winter jackets
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 22:00:43 -0800
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 06:00 UTC

On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 11:49:23 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
<cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

>I paid $25 for a Chinese winter jacket. I tries it yesterday and in the 40 degree weather (4.5 degrees C) it was warm and pretty wind proof as well. The weather report said that we would have good weather all week but coming out this morning the ground was completely wet. I wonder if that is their most recent definition of good weather.

This year, I've found that windy.com is the most accurate for
predicting rain intensity, accumulation, and timing.

>One of the problems with the Chinese clothing now is that they seem to have the idea that Americans all have Arnold Swartzeneger-like chests. So this makes the clothing a little too wide in the chest for their winter cloths. The summer jersey's don't seem to have this problem.

Taking in jackets is possible. Some of articles and videos on how the
alterations are done.
<https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+take+in+a+winter+jacket>
Look for a tailor that will do it for you.

>On the way up Cull Canyon the deep cutaways at the edges of the road from last season's rains must have caused some concerns and they had a road crew out there with a small bull dozer/shovel arm, tearing the side of the raised side of the hill out and filling those long deep ditches in.

Did you take any photos of the mud filled lagoon at the "bottom" of
Cull Canyon? Did you get an accurate lat-long location for the lagoon
on your GPS?

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272