Within a computer, natural language is unnatural.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Shimano Mistakes?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Shimano Mistakes?AMuzi
+- Re: Shimano Mistakes?Tom Kunich
`* Re: Shimano Mistakes?Lou Holtman
 +* Re: Shimano Mistakes?Tom Kunich
 |+* Re: Shimano Mistakes?Lou Holtman
 ||+* Re: Shimano Mistakes?Tom Kunich
 |||`- Re: Shimano Mistakes?Jeff Liebermann
 ||`- Re: Shimano Mistakes?John B.
 |`* Re: Shimano Mistakes?AMuzi
 | +- Re: Shimano Mistakes?Catrike Rider
 | `- Re: Shimano Mistakes?Tom Kunich
 `- Re: Shimano Mistakes?AMuzi

1
Re: Shimano Mistakes?

<ukg6hv$2gm4t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=96600&group=rec.bicycles.tech#96600

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Shimano Mistakes?
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 15:11:26 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 21:11 UTC

On 12/2/2023 2:15 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> The Shimano chrome parts which were largely front derailleurs were made of stainless. stainless does not chrome plate easily and the normal trick is to copper or brass plate them before chrome plating them to get the chrome to stick.
>
> So if you look at the 7800 front derailleurs on Ebay, they have chrome peeling off of them and they are asking ridiculous prices. The 7900 series on the other hand doesn't seem to have these problems so I wonder if they corrected this. Or perhaps the 7900's are still too new for this peeling to have begun.
>
> I have bought a couple of 7800's in perfect shape (as far as the chrome is concerned) as a final purchase from Ebay. Due to their policies of "The customer is always right" I will no longer be purchasing things through them. They HAD the proof that the customer asked for just the frameset and I lowered the price but when the customer complained that he expected the entire bike for the price of just the frameset that was simply too much. I had contacted Ebay via telephone and talked to them and the telephone technician said that it was very clear that I offered the reduced price for just the frameset. So when Ebay took the customers side that was simply too much.
>
> And what's more, if I had bought the levers and front derailleur off of Craigslist I would have saved money even though the local Craigslist is now heavily used by commercial bike shops with prices completely out of sight. If you watch, private sellers for more reasonable prices still happen along.
>
> Why would you buy a "new" Campy 12 speed manual group for $2250 when a private party is selling one for $750 with only one hundred miles on it? Of course it is Chorus rather than Record but I haven't been able to tell the difference except for a couple of ounces difference in weight. Super Record is detectably lighter but meager ounces hardly is going to make or brake a build.

Shimano FD cages are not stainless.

That said, others have noted plating issues:
https://products.roadbikereview.com/product/drivetrain/front-derailleur/shimano/dura-ace-fd-7800.html
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org

Re: Shimano Mistakes?

<cf30a55e-3ef0-4512-9375-90700e04e851n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=96604&group=rec.bicycles.tech#96604

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 13:32:00 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 21:32 UTC

On Saturday, December 2, 2023 at 1:11:31 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
> On 12/2/2023 2:15 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > The Shimano chrome parts which were largely front derailleurs were made of stainless. stainless does not chrome plate easily and the normal trick is to copper or brass plate them before chrome plating them to get the chrome to stick.
> >
> > So if you look at the 7800 front derailleurs on Ebay, they have chrome peeling off of them and they are asking ridiculous prices. The 7900 series on the other hand doesn't seem to have these problems so I wonder if they corrected this. Or perhaps the 7900's are still too new for this peeling to have begun.
> >
> > I have bought a couple of 7800's in perfect shape (as far as the chrome is concerned) as a final purchase from Ebay. Due to their policies of "The customer is always right" I will no longer be purchasing things through them. They HAD the proof that the customer asked for just the frameset and I lowered the price but when the customer complained that he expected the entire bike for the price of just the frameset that was simply too much. I had contacted Ebay via telephone and talked to them and the telephone technician said that it was very clear that I offered the reduced price for just the frameset. So when Ebay took the customers side that was simply too much.
> >
> > And what's more, if I had bought the levers and front derailleur off of Craigslist I would have saved money even though the local Craigslist is now heavily used by commercial bike shops with prices completely out of sight.. If you watch, private sellers for more reasonable prices still happen along.
> >
> > Why would you buy a "new" Campy 12 speed manual group for $2250 when a private party is selling one for $750 with only one hundred miles on it? Of course it is Chorus rather than Record but I haven't been able to tell the difference except for a couple of ounces difference in weight. Super Record is detectably lighter but meager ounces hardly is going to make or brake a build.
> Shimano FD cages are not stainless.
>
> That said, others have noted plating issues:
> https://products.roadbikereview.com/product/drivetrain/front-derailleur/shimano/dura-ace-fd-7800.html
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> a...@yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971
It appears to be stainless steel. https://metalexponents.com/blog/factors-corrode-stainless-steel/ That these FD7800 front derailleurs started flaking the chrome off almost immediately should give you a clue - chrome does RUST off of plain steel but it does not corrode off. And you can't tell the difference with a magnet since many grades of stainless steel are magnetic. That is due to the percentage of steel contained in the alloy.

So, you may be correct but what then is it that makes the FD strong enough to wear so well and yet corrode?

Re: Shimano Mistakes?

<90ce9f75-b233-4cde-9ac3-784f395b9a29n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=96605&group=rec.bicycles.tech#96605

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 13:32:22 -0800 (PST)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 21:32 UTC

On Saturday, December 2, 2023 at 10:11:31 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
> On 12/2/2023 2:15 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > The Shimano chrome parts which were largely front derailleurs were made of stainless. stainless does not chrome plate easily and the normal trick is to copper or brass plate them before chrome plating them to get the chrome to stick.
> >
> > So if you look at the 7800 front derailleurs on Ebay, they have chrome peeling off of them and they are asking ridiculous prices. The 7900 series on the other hand doesn't seem to have these problems so I wonder if they corrected this. Or perhaps the 7900's are still too new for this peeling to have begun.
> >
> > I have bought a couple of 7800's in perfect shape (as far as the chrome is concerned) as a final purchase from Ebay. Due to their policies of "The customer is always right" I will no longer be purchasing things through them. They HAD the proof that the customer asked for just the frameset and I lowered the price but when the customer complained that he expected the entire bike for the price of just the frameset that was simply too much. I had contacted Ebay via telephone and talked to them and the telephone technician said that it was very clear that I offered the reduced price for just the frameset. So when Ebay took the customers side that was simply too much.
> >
> > And what's more, if I had bought the levers and front derailleur off of Craigslist I would have saved money even though the local Craigslist is now heavily used by commercial bike shops with prices completely out of sight.. If you watch, private sellers for more reasonable prices still happen along.
> >
> > Why would you buy a "new" Campy 12 speed manual group for $2250 when a private party is selling one for $750 with only one hundred miles on it? Of course it is Chorus rather than Record but I haven't been able to tell the difference except for a couple of ounces difference in weight. Super Record is detectably lighter but meager ounces hardly is going to make or brake a build.
> Shimano FD cages are not stainless.

All of them? I’m pretty sure my FD9070 is stainless steel, it is not chrome plated like my GRX FD.

Lou

Re: Shimano Mistakes?

<42c7dd79-2688-490d-991c-a3d82c09f349n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=96607&group=rec.bicycles.tech#96607

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 13:39:29 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 21:39 UTC

On Saturday, December 2, 2023 at 1:32:24 PM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote:
> On Saturday, December 2, 2023 at 10:11:31 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
> > On 12/2/2023 2:15 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > > The Shimano chrome parts which were largely front derailleurs were made of stainless. stainless does not chrome plate easily and the normal trick is to copper or brass plate them before chrome plating them to get the chrome to stick.
> > >
> > > So if you look at the 7800 front derailleurs on Ebay, they have chrome peeling off of them and they are asking ridiculous prices. The 7900 series on the other hand doesn't seem to have these problems so I wonder if they corrected this. Or perhaps the 7900's are still too new for this peeling to have begun.
> > >
> > > I have bought a couple of 7800's in perfect shape (as far as the chrome is concerned) as a final purchase from Ebay. Due to their policies of "The customer is always right" I will no longer be purchasing things through them. They HAD the proof that the customer asked for just the frameset and I lowered the price but when the customer complained that he expected the entire bike for the price of just the frameset that was simply too much. I had contacted Ebay via telephone and talked to them and the telephone technician said that it was very clear that I offered the reduced price for just the frameset. So when Ebay took the customers side that was simply too much..
> > >
> > > And what's more, if I had bought the levers and front derailleur off of Craigslist I would have saved money even though the local Craigslist is now heavily used by commercial bike shops with prices completely out of sight. If you watch, private sellers for more reasonable prices still happen along.
> > >
> > > Why would you buy a "new" Campy 12 speed manual group for $2250 when a private party is selling one for $750 with only one hundred miles on it? Of course it is Chorus rather than Record but I haven't been able to tell the difference except for a couple of ounces difference in weight. Super Record is detectably lighter but meager ounces hardly is going to make or brake a build.
> > Shimano FD cages are not stainless.
> >
> All of them? I’m pretty sure my FD9070 is stainless steel, it is not chrome plated like my GRX FD.
>
> Lou
Never let it be said that Shimano doesn't learn from their mistakes. Polished stainless looks good but you can tell the difference between stainless and chrome at a glance.

Re: Shimano Mistakes?

<30043b8a-af60-4ba3-af09-f0d123443ee6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=96612&group=rec.bicycles.tech#96612

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 13:50:21 -0800 (PST)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 21:50 UTC

On Saturday, December 2, 2023 at 10:39:32 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Saturday, December 2, 2023 at 1:32:24 PM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote:

> > > Shimano FD cages are not stainless.
> > >
> > All of them? I’m pretty sure my FD9070 is stainless steel, it is not chrome plated like my GRX FD.
> >
> > Lou
> Never let it be said that Shimano doesn't learn from their mistakes. Polished stainless looks good but you can tell the difference between stainless and chrome at a glance.

Mweh, polished stainless can look very shiny. I did an internship at a manufacturer of chicken slaughter machines and they treated all of there stainless steel parts that had a high chrome content. They looked almost like chrome plated.

Lou

Re: Shimano Mistakes?

<f36ad79a-fd85-4988-a0c1-3305c008712fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=96613&group=rec.bicycles.tech#96613

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 13:53:38 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 21:53 UTC

On Saturday, December 2, 2023 at 1:50:23 PM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote:
> On Saturday, December 2, 2023 at 10:39:32 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:

> > > All of them? I’m pretty sure my FD9070 is stainless steel, it is not chrome plated like my GRX FD.
> > >
> > > Lou
> > Never let it be said that Shimano doesn't learn from their mistakes. Polished stainless looks good but you can tell the difference between stainless and chrome at a glance.
> Mweh, polished stainless can look very shiny. I did an internship at a manufacturer of chicken slaughter machines and they treated all of there stainless steel parts that had a high chrome content. They looked almost like chrome plated.
>
> Lou
Yes, but it would NOT corrode and peel the Chrome off in plainly visible layers https://www.ebay.com/itm/325414974693?hash=item4bc43e74e5:g:X0MAAOSwgBljaSHX&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4D7bpIlnlMWSBXB5NvtL3enue%2BT1JevmbNv4d9qMwtHnTUQfVooN69%2Bk65b6KLWH1kEORJMBviDIA7iN5ekiDX5DxK5Ea4mBbtx%2FBigr3cSvdiv4R1d8r4Eapyh41z1xOjShCBn18XzwlhiTP%2F6mzRpyc1FJVSKvwa8YtqOjqs8whcRUhg7p%2F7sXBCQGamtOQuQQ4kszKeTGwmERd7%2FbQ3iYPNVcrguVhGn10Mmaee8HvVr%2B1muizk3mnv1%2B1a1yM1w9qu7cD4WoXrwVd9VvzTutGpl3IfISBM5qsg5uHQYQ%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR4C6qMiFYw

Re: Shimano Mistakes?

<ukg9rd$2h4nk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=96615&group=rec.bicycles.tech#96615

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 16:07:43 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 22:07 UTC

On 12/2/2023 3:32 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:
> On Saturday, December 2, 2023 at 10:11:31 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
>> On 12/2/2023 2:15 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>>> The Shimano chrome parts which were largely front derailleurs were made of stainless. stainless does not chrome plate easily and the normal trick is to copper or brass plate them before chrome plating them to get the chrome to stick.
>>>
>>> So if you look at the 7800 front derailleurs on Ebay, they have chrome peeling off of them and they are asking ridiculous prices. The 7900 series on the other hand doesn't seem to have these problems so I wonder if they corrected this. Or perhaps the 7900's are still too new for this peeling to have begun.
>>>
>>> I have bought a couple of 7800's in perfect shape (as far as the chrome is concerned) as a final purchase from Ebay. Due to their policies of "The customer is always right" I will no longer be purchasing things through them. They HAD the proof that the customer asked for just the frameset and I lowered the price but when the customer complained that he expected the entire bike for the price of just the frameset that was simply too much. I had contacted Ebay via telephone and talked to them and the telephone technician said that it was very clear that I offered the reduced price for just the frameset. So when Ebay took the customers side that was simply too much.
>>>
>>> And what's more, if I had bought the levers and front derailleur off of Craigslist I would have saved money even though the local Craigslist is now heavily used by commercial bike shops with prices completely out of sight. If you watch, private sellers for more reasonable prices still happen along.
>>>
>>> Why would you buy a "new" Campy 12 speed manual group for $2250 when a private party is selling one for $750 with only one hundred miles on it? Of course it is Chorus rather than Record but I haven't been able to tell the difference except for a couple of ounces difference in weight. Super Record is detectably lighter but meager ounces hardly is going to make or brake a build.
>> Shimano FD cages are not stainless.
>>

> All of them? I’m pretty sure my FD9070 is stainless steel, it is not chrome plated like my GRX FD.
>
> Lou

Oh, sorry you are right. I meant Mr Kunich's FD-7800 not
'all Shimano FD'.
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: Shimano Mistakes?

<ukga5k$2h4nk$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=96616&group=rec.bicycles.tech#96616

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 16:13:10 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 22:13 UTC

On 12/2/2023 3:39 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Saturday, December 2, 2023 at 1:32:24 PM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote:

>>> Shimano FD cages are not stainless.
>>>
>> All of them? I’m pretty sure my FD9070 is stainless steel, it is not chrome plated like my GRX FD.
>>
>> Lou
> Never let it be said that Shimano doesn't learn from their mistakes. Polished stainless looks good but you can tell the difference between stainless and chrome at a glance.

'Looks good' to you, which is fine.

The various stainlesses can show a multitude of finishes,
for example:

https://www.tesla.com/cybertruck

(which does not shift, BTW)

Stainless surgical tools are usually polished as shiny and
smooth as anything chromed.

--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: Shimano Mistakes?

<jbbnmidbhcq4897sk08k9dsrd3bal44d99@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=96617&group=rec.bicycles.tech#96617

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2023 17:20:08 -0500
 by: Catrike Rider - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 22:20 UTC

On Sat, 2 Dec 2023 16:13:10 -0600, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>On 12/2/2023 3:39 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

>>> All of them? I’m pretty sure my FD9070 is stainless steel, it is not chrome plated like my GRX FD.
>>>
>>> Lou
>> Never let it be said that Shimano doesn't learn from their mistakes. Polished stainless looks good but you can tell the difference between stainless and chrome at a glance.
>
>'Looks good' to you, which is fine.
>
>The various stainlesses can show a multitude of finishes,
>for example:
>
>https://www.tesla.com/cybertruck
>
>(which does not shift, BTW)
>
>Stainless surgical tools are usually polished as shiny and
>smooth as anything chromed.

My Catrike mirrors are polished stainles Steel.

Re: Shimano Mistakes?

<q0enmid3c1qit0mmf1qrmdevd5432tmso7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=96621&group=rec.bicycles.tech#96621

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2023 06:09:15 +0700
 by: John B. - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 23:09 UTC

On Sat, 2 Dec 2023 13:50:21 -0800 (PST), Lou Holtman
<lou.holtman@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Saturday, December 2, 2023 at 10:39:32?PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:

>> > All of them? I’m pretty sure my FD9070 is stainless steel, it is not chrome plated like my GRX FD.
>> >
>> > Lou
>> Never let it be said that Shimano doesn't learn from their mistakes. Polished stainless looks good but you can tell the difference between stainless and chrome at a glance.
>
>Mweh, polished stainless can look very shiny. I did an internship at a manufacturer of chicken slaughter machines and they treated all of there stainless steel parts that had a high chrome content. They looked almost like chrome plated.
>
>Lou

A fairly common "make up" of "stainless steel" is 0.015 to 0.10%
carbon, 16 to 21% chromium, 6 to 26% nickel, 0 to 7% molybdenum.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Shimano Mistakes?

<c19cd82b-a9ef-4b6b-be47-08dd469ec176n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=96627&group=rec.bicycles.tech#96627

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 17:19:44 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 01:19 UTC

On Saturday, December 2, 2023 at 2:13:12 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
> On 12/2/2023 3:39 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

> >> All of them? I’m pretty sure my FD9070 is stainless steel, it is not chrome plated like my GRX FD.
> >>
> >> Lou
> > Never let it be said that Shimano doesn't learn from their mistakes. Polished stainless looks good but you can tell the difference between stainless and chrome at a glance.
> 'Looks good' to you, which is fine.
>
> The various stainlesses can show a multitude of finishes,
> for example:
>
> https://www.tesla.com/cybertruck
>
> (which does not shift, BTW)
>
> Stainless surgical tools are usually polished as shiny and
> smooth as anything chromed.
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> a...@yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971
Andrew, I'm still waiting for what you believe the FD 7800 to be made of. Stainless of some types rusts just like normal steel but usually spotty. The back of an FD 7800 does exactly that. And chrome sticks fine to regular steel but not to stainless - just like on the FD 7800.

BTW, I now have no sources of parts with my bowing out of Paypal, Amazon and Ebay. Craigslist is too spotty. I am looking for a set of 1" carbon spacers and a 1" carbon fiber expander for the new fork. cyclintom@yahoo.com

Re: Shimano Mistakes?

<ep3omi9r8tf1vaas870h8qb545tectait5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=96634&group=rec.bicycles.tech#96634

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2023 21:19:55 -0800
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 05:19 UTC

On Sat, 2 Dec 2023 13:53:38 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
<cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

>Yes, but it would NOT corrode and peel the Chrome off in plainly visible layers https://www.ebay.com/itm/325414974693

Wrong (as usual). The Dura-Ace 7800 front deraaileur cage is nickel
plated:
<https://www.landiscyclery.com/product/shimano-dura-ace-clamp-on-front-derailleur-31001.htm>
"Plus, the lightweight, replaceable aluminum cage is nickel plated for
durability."
More links that say basically the same thing:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=shimano+dura+ace+7800+front+derailleur+nickel+plating>

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272