Writing software is more fun than working.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Shimano Mistakes?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Shimano Mistakes?Lou Holtman
`- Re: Shimano Mistakes?Tom Kunich

1
Re: Shimano Mistakes?

<ae424606-6504-44bd-90aa-ed1aa94cd287n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=96603&group=rec.bicycles.tech#96603

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 13:30:12 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Shimano Mistakes?
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 21:30 UTC

On Saturday, December 2, 2023 at 9:15:48 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
> The Shimano chrome parts which were largely front derailleurs were made of stainless. stainless does not chrome plate easily and the normal trick is to copper or brass plate them before chrome plating them to get the chrome to stick.
>
> So if you look at the 7800 front derailleurs on Ebay, they have chrome peeling off of them and they are asking ridiculous prices. The 7900 series on the other hand doesn't seem to have these problems so I wonder if they corrected this. Or perhaps the 7900's are still too new for this peeling to have begun.
>
> I have bought a couple of 7800's in perfect shape (as far as the chrome is concerned) as a final purchase from Ebay. Due to their policies of "The customer is always right" I will no longer be purchasing things through them.. They HAD the proof that the customer asked for just the frameset and I lowered the price but when the customer complained that he expected the entire bike for the price of just the frameset that was simply too much. I had contacted Ebay via telephone and talked to them and the telephone technician said that it was very clear that I offered the reduced price for just the frameset. So when Ebay took the customers side that was simply too much.
>
> And what's more, if I had bought the levers and front derailleur off of Craigslist I would have saved money even though the local Craigslist is now heavily used by commercial bike shops with prices completely out of sight. If you watch, private sellers for more reasonable prices still happen along..
>
> Why would you buy a "new" Campy 12 speed manual group for $2250 when a private party is selling one for $750 with only one hundred miles on it? Of course it is Chorus rather than Record but I haven't been able to tell the difference except for a couple of ounces difference in weight. Super Record is detectably lighter but meager ounces hardly is going to make or brake a build.

If they are crome plated they are most likely not stainless. What is the point of chrome plating stainless steel? My DA FD9070 is stainless steel I think (not or very light magnetic) and the finish doesn’t look chrome plated. It has a matte polished finish.

Lou

Re: Shimano Mistakes?

<614e596a-b409-42c9-937c-f8c85f2a6a0en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=96606&group=rec.bicycles.tech#96606

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 13:35:40 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 21:35 UTC

On Saturday, December 2, 2023 at 1:30:14 PM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote:
> On Saturday, December 2, 2023 at 9:15:48 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > The Shimano chrome parts which were largely front derailleurs were made of stainless. stainless does not chrome plate easily and the normal trick is to copper or brass plate them before chrome plating them to get the chrome to stick.
> >
> > So if you look at the 7800 front derailleurs on Ebay, they have chrome peeling off of them and they are asking ridiculous prices. The 7900 series on the other hand doesn't seem to have these problems so I wonder if they corrected this. Or perhaps the 7900's are still too new for this peeling to have begun.
> >
> > I have bought a couple of 7800's in perfect shape (as far as the chrome is concerned) as a final purchase from Ebay. Due to their policies of "The customer is always right" I will no longer be purchasing things through them. They HAD the proof that the customer asked for just the frameset and I lowered the price but when the customer complained that he expected the entire bike for the price of just the frameset that was simply too much. I had contacted Ebay via telephone and talked to them and the telephone technician said that it was very clear that I offered the reduced price for just the frameset. So when Ebay took the customers side that was simply too much.
> >
> > And what's more, if I had bought the levers and front derailleur off of Craigslist I would have saved money even though the local Craigslist is now heavily used by commercial bike shops with prices completely out of sight.. If you watch, private sellers for more reasonable prices still happen along.
> >
> > Why would you buy a "new" Campy 12 speed manual group for $2250 when a private party is selling one for $750 with only one hundred miles on it? Of course it is Chorus rather than Record but I haven't been able to tell the difference except for a couple of ounces difference in weight. Super Record is detectably lighter but meager ounces hardly is going to make or brake a build.
> If they are crome plated they are most likely not stainless. What is the point of chrome plating stainless steel? My DA FD9070 is stainless steel I think (not or very light magnetic) and the finish doesn’t look chrome plated. It has a matte polished finish.
>
> Lou

The FD 7800 is brightly chromed on the front with Dura Ace etched into the chrome and then colored black The FD 7900 appears to have corrected that problem.