Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 14:22:19 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Basso Loto
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 22:22 UTC

Well, the medium Arm 105 rear derailleur came in. I guess to prevent losing the limit screws, they tighten them in all the way so it was something of a pain getting them loose. It takes a lot larger Philips than you would think to fit them.

So I screwed the derailleur on, set the limits by eye, and hooked up the inner and outer shift wires and pulled it tight and set the wire and it only needed the large cog limit screw set. I had an old 11 speed chain laying around So I connected that on. The cassette is 11/36 and the cranks 34/50. Old means it was on the bike I converted to 12 speed, not worn out. The crank and cassette are both new and the chain fits perfectly I believe the tooth width on 8,9,10 and 11 speeds are the same and 12 is narrower, In any case the waxed 11 speed chain is almost soundless though before riding it I would use the Silca bottled wax on it.

I clipped and capped all of the control wires (I need to order some more shift wire ends) and then installed the handlebar tape.

Right on schedule it began raining so I can't takie pictures of it, But it is finished, the brzakes are correct (better than Campy I might add) and I have to wait for a perdect weather day to take it for a ride. Robinson wants to see my build. It would be nice if I was better on the handlebar tape but unless you're a real snob you can't tell anything is wrong.

Most of the build time is absorbed in the details like the tape and fitting the proper chain length. So actual time on the build is 5 hours.

And I did it again, I forgot to tighten the filler valve lock and the tire went flat.

Lou, you are corrct that you can save a lot of space packing the TCP tubes rather than the rubber tubes though I prefer using rubber tubes from home.