Happiness is twin floppies.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Store bike from the effects of being outside

SubjectAuthor
* Store bike from the effects of being outsideAK
+- Re: Store bike from the effects of being outsideAMuzi
+* Re: Store bike from the effects of being outsideJeff Liebermann
|+- Re: Store bike from the effects of being outsideAK
|`- Re: Store bike from the effects of being outsideJeff Liebermann
`* Re: Store bike from the effects of being outsideFrank Krygowski
 +- Re: Store bike from the effects of being outsideAK
 `- Re: Store bike from the effects of being outsideTim R

1
Store bike from the effects of being outside

<c24db673-7fe4-473b-8863-5dac3865603bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=98571&group=rec.bicycles.tech#98571

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2024 13:44:31 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Store bike from the effects of being outside
From: scientis...@gmail.com (AK)
 by: AK - Sun, 7 Jan 2024 21:44 UTC

I moved to an area where the street outside my residence has a 60 mph speed limit.

Not safe to ride even on the gravel emergency lane.

I can not bring my bike inside, so it is outside.

I cover it with a tarp. The winds seem insistent on blowing the tarp off.

What can I put on the chain and gears to slow down the rusting?

Thanks,
Andy

Re: Store bike from the effects of being outside

<unf980$17uij$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=98573&group=rec.bicycles.tech#98573

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Store bike from the effects of being outside
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2024 16:39:59 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Sun, 7 Jan 2024 22:39 UTC

On 1/7/2024 3:44 PM, AK wrote:
> I moved to an area where the street outside my residence has a 60 mph speed limit.
>
> Not safe to ride even on the gravel emergency lane.
>
> I can not bring my bike inside, so it is outside.
>
> I cover it with a tarp. The winds seem insistent on blowing the tarp off.
>
> What can I put on the chain and gears to slow down the rusting?
>
> Thanks,
> Andy

Tough problem. If you're in a road salt area, everything
within 100 feet of the roadway will be subject to salt spray
corrosion, tarp or not. I see that effect on one side of
steel power line pylons in this area; grey paint on the off
side, bright rust red on the road side to a height of fifty
feet.

Are you riding this winter? If not, store it somewhere else.

If you're riding, regular lubrication and cleaning will help
but every part, screw and scratch will corrode. You can slow
or mitigate that but probably not all of it. Can you park
on the building side away from the road? That in itself
would be a big help.
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org

Re: Store bike from the effects of being outside

<6oampih3afg5sodbpapkokcdein6d5n8hg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=98576&group=rec.bicycles.tech#98576

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2024 15:19:18 -0800
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Sun, 7 Jan 2024 23:19 UTC

On Sun, 7 Jan 2024 13:44:31 -0800 (PST), AK <scientist77017@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I moved to an area where the street outside my residence has a 60 mph speed limit.
>Not safe to ride even on the gravel emergency lane.
>I can not bring my bike inside, so it is outside.
>I cover it with a tarp. The winds seem insistent on blowing the tarp off.
>What can I put on the chain and gears to slow down the rusting?
>Thanks,
> Andy

There are companies that specialize in products that inhibit rust. For
example:
<https://www.zerustproducts.com/products/product-category/sporting-goods-rust-protection/>
<https://www.zerustproducts.com/products/rust-protection-for-cars/bicycle-cover/>
"The rust and corrosion inhibitors will remain active for five (5)
years after the date of purchase."
<https://www.zerust.com/faq/>

I've been parking one of my bicycles on an open balcony for about 3
years. The bicycle doesn't see any rain, but does condense moisture
from the air.

I have a bicycle cover that was originally intended for bicycle
transport on trains. It's similar to the one in the photo. It's not
completely air tight but seems to work anyway. I suck as much air as
the leaks allow using a vacuum cleaner so that my bicycle cover
doesn't begin looking like a balloon.

The system uses a VpCI (vapor phase corrosion inhibitor). I don't use
the ZeRust product and don't know the ingredients in their product.
Instead, I use a VpCI-111, which I assume is an equivalent:
<https://www.theruststore.com/Cortec-VpCI-111-Emitter-P162.aspx>
About $10 to $15/ea in unit quantities.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

Re: Store bike from the effects of being outside

<d3f0e9a4-65ad-4e50-8795-8bcb3d2179bcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=98581&group=rec.bicycles.tech#98581

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2024 16:15:17 -0800 (PST)
From: scientis...@gmail.com (AK)
 by: AK - Mon, 8 Jan 2024 00:15 UTC

On Sunday, January 7, 2024 at 5:19:26 PM UTC-6, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Jan 2024 13:44:31 -0800 (PST), AK <scienti...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >I moved to an area where the street outside my residence has a 60 mph speed limit.
> >Not safe to ride even on the gravel emergency lane.
> >I can not bring my bike inside, so it is outside.
> >I cover it with a tarp. The winds seem insistent on blowing the tarp off..
> >What can I put on the chain and gears to slow down the rusting?
> >Thanks,
> > Andy
> There are companies that specialize in products that inhibit rust. For
> example:
> <https://www.zerustproducts.com/products/product-category/sporting-goods-rust-protection/>
> <https://www.zerustproducts.com/products/rust-protection-for-cars/bicycle-cover/>
> "The rust and corrosion inhibitors will remain active for five (5)
> years after the date of purchase."
> <https://www.zerust.com/faq/>
>
> I've been parking one of my bicycles on an open balcony for about 3
> years. The bicycle doesn't see any rain, but does condense moisture
> from the air.
>
> I have a bicycle cover that was originally intended for bicycle
> transport on trains. It's similar to the one in the photo. It's not
> completely air tight but seems to work anyway. I suck as much air as
> the leaks allow using a vacuum cleaner so that my bicycle cover
> doesn't begin looking like a balloon.
>
> The system uses a VpCI (vapor phase corrosion inhibitor). I don't use
> the ZeRust product and don't know the ingredients in their product.
> Instead, I use a VpCI-111, which I assume is an equivalent:
> <https://www.theruststore.com/Cortec-VpCI-111-Emitter-P162.aspx>
> About $10 to $15/ea in unit quantities.
>
> --
> Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
> PO Box 272 http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
> Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
> Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Thanks for your ideas.

Andy Kennedy

Re: Store bike from the effects of being outside

<n0gmpipg8l32ils9mlqa60v6n0nup6hrq6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=98584&group=rec.bicycles.tech#98584

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2024 16:40:33 -0800
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Mon, 8 Jan 2024 00:40 UTC

On Sun, 07 Jan 2024 15:19:18 -0800, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
wrote:

>I don't use
>the ZeRust product and don't know the ingredients in their product.

Searching for the VpCI-111 SDS works better if I don't mis-spell the
product name.

VpCI®-105/VpCI®-111 MSDS
<https://www1.mscdirect.com/MSDS/MSDS00088/66586686-20200207.PDF>

Proprietary cyclic amino-carboxylate 25 - 50%
<https://www.degruyter.com/document/doi/10.1515/corrrev-2017-0102/pdf?licenseType=free>
"Types of VCIs include nitrite of amines, amine carboxylates..."

Benzotriazole <2.5%
Corrosion inhibitor for copper and copper alloys.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzotriazole#Corrosion_inhibition>

The rest is deemed non-hazardous and therefore not specified in the
SDS.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Re: Store bike from the effects of being outside

<unfiig$192rc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=98586&group=rec.bicycles.tech#98586

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2024 20:19:09 -0500
 by: Frank Krygowski - Mon, 8 Jan 2024 01:19 UTC

On 1/7/2024 4:44 PM, AK wrote:
> I moved to an area where the street outside my residence has a 60 mph speed limit.
>
> Not safe to ride even on the gravel emergency lane.
>
> I can not bring my bike inside, so it is outside.
>
> I cover it with a tarp. The winds seem insistent on blowing the tarp off.
>
> What can I put on the chain and gears to slow down the rusting?

The situation with my motorcycle is only vaguely similar, but here's
what I do:

Since the motorcycle is inside a garage, I don't need a waterproof tarp.
I do cover the bike with old bed sheets. I use large safety pins to hold
them closed, which work well with the zero wind in the garage. If those
wouldn't be strong enough for you, search Amazon for "tarp tie downs."
You should be able to keep it from blowing off.

But before covering it for the winter, I spray the exposed metal of the
motorcycle with WD-40 to prevent or retard corrosion. That's WD-40's
originally intended purpose, after all.

I also run a night light bulb (maybe 4 or 7 watts) under the center of
the motorcycle to keep the air under the sheets just a tiny bit warmer
than the outside. My intent is to prevent condensation on the motorcycle
surfaces.

I've been doing this for ~35 years with this motorcycle. There's almost
zero rust on it.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Store bike from the effects of being outside

<9809190f-e28b-43e3-861a-756c46de49efn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=98588&group=rec.bicycles.tech#98588

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2024 17:26:05 -0800 (PST)
From: scientis...@gmail.com (AK)
 by: AK - Mon, 8 Jan 2024 01:26 UTC

On Sunday, January 7, 2024 at 7:19:16 PM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 1/7/2024 4:44 PM, AK wrote:
> > I moved to an area where the street outside my residence has a 60 mph speed limit.
> >
> > Not safe to ride even on the gravel emergency lane.
> >
> > I can not bring my bike inside, so it is outside.
> >
> > I cover it with a tarp. The winds seem insistent on blowing the tarp off.
> >
> > What can I put on the chain and gears to slow down the rusting?
> The situation with my motorcycle is only vaguely similar, but here's
> what I do:
>
> Since the motorcycle is inside a garage, I don't need a waterproof tarp.
> I do cover the bike with old bed sheets. I use large safety pins to hold
> them closed, which work well with the zero wind in the garage. If those
> wouldn't be strong enough for you, search Amazon for "tarp tie downs."
> You should be able to keep it from blowing off.
>
> But before covering it for the winter, I spray the exposed metal of the
> motorcycle with WD-40 to prevent or retard corrosion. That's WD-40's
> originally intended purpose, after all.
>
> I also run a night light bulb (maybe 4 or 7 watts) under the center of
> the motorcycle to keep the air under the sheets just a tiny bit warmer
> than the outside. My intent is to prevent condensation on the motorcycle
> surfaces.
>
> I've been doing this for ~35 years with this motorcycle. There's almost
> zero rust on it.
>
> --

Your idea of a night light bulb is good.

I used one under the cover of a propane tank to keep the line from freezing up when I had a mobile home .

Andy
> - Frank Krygowski

Re: Store bike from the effects of being outside

<1d8c4a7b-5002-46b2-827e-248436dbcfcfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=98602&group=rec.bicycles.tech#98602

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 04:29:48 -0800 (PST)
From: timothy4...@gmail.com (Tim R)
 by: Tim R - Mon, 8 Jan 2024 12:29 UTC

On Sunday, January 7, 2024 at 8:19:16 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:

> But before covering it for the winter, I spray the exposed metal of the
> motorcycle with WD-40 to prevent or retard corrosion. That's WD-40's
> originally intended purpose, after all.
>
> - Frank Krygowski

I've used STP for a similar purpose. It's sticky enough you have to wash your hands many times, so I figure it will stay on the metal longer than WD-40.