Karl's version of Parkinson's Law: Work expands to exceed the time alloted it.

tech / sci.physics.relativity / Re: Deconstruction of Special Relativity

SubjectAuthor
* Deconstruction of Special RelativityTom Capizzi
`* Re: Deconstruction of Special RelativityTom Capizzi
 `* Re: Deconstruction of Special RelativityJ. J. Lodder
  `- Re: Deconstruction of Special RelativityTom Capizzi

1
Deconstruction of Special Relativity

<c22c056f-ac0a-4e28-a9dd-c433407ec5ean@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=98959&group=sci.physics.relativity#98959

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 17:37:24 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Deconstruction of Special Relativity
From: tgcapi...@gmail.com (Tom Capizzi)
 by: Tom Capizzi - Mon, 24 Oct 2022 00:37 UTC

This is the latest installment of a critical analysis of Einstein's signature work, special relativity. As a work in progress, new developments continue to arise. Over the past few months, I have been posting on other media, where I find the comments to be more intelligent, with none of the ad hominem attacks that are so common here. One nitwit here claimed he couldn't understand how the dot product could be a measurement protocol. How informative. In the other forum, a PhD commented that the dot product could not be used in the way that I suggested, but that he could show me a way to extend it so that it applied to an arbitrary number of dimensions. Unfortunately, he never went any further than that, so I can't comment on the accuracy of his remarks. But, it is true that the dot product behaves differently in Euclidean and Minkowski geometries, so I researched further. The first thing that became clear is the dot product is a special case of the more general inner product. And the inner product itself comes in real and complex varieties. Looking into this distinction more closely, I found that the complex inner product based on the square root of -1 had useful properties. Unfortunately, they were not suitable for relativity.

The definition of the complex inner product of two arbitrary vectors, x = a+bi and y = c+di, is <x,y> = xy* = (a+bi)(c-di) = (ac+bd) + (bc-ad)i. Normally, the dot product is a real scalar, but the complex inner product is not. It is also not commutative, as <y,x> = yx* = (c+di)(a-bi) = (ca+db) + (da-cb)i. Comparison of the results shows that the transpose of the factors is the conjugate of the product. While the first term, which is the dot product, is the same, the imaginary term is negated. So, there is a clear distinction between the real and the complex inner product. This in itself is not a problem, but one becomes clear after substituting polar coordinates for the Cartesian ones.

In polar coordinates, the scalars become a = |x| cos(θ), b = |x| sin(θ), c = |y| cos(θ') and d = |y| sin(θ'). We still have two arbitrary vectors, and if we plug their components into the inner product, <x,y> = (|x| cos(θ) * |y| cos(θ') +
|x| sin(θ) * |y| sin(θ')) + (|x| sin(θ) * |y| cos(θ') - |x| cos(θ) * |y| sin(θ'))i |x||y|((cos(θ)*cos(θ')+ sin(θ)*sin(θ')) + (sin(θ)*cos(θ')-cos(θ)*sin(θ'))i) |x||y|(cos(θ-θ')+sin(θ-θ')i) = |x||y|e^(θ-θ')i.
This is perfectly normal polar notation, with the complex exponential phase the difference between the angles of the factors. The two components also match the geometrical definitions of the dot and cross product, with θ-θ' the included angle. This is all well and good if you are interested in rotation around an axis, but it is not suitable for relativity. Since velocity can be specified in terms of a parametric angle, superficially this seems ok. However, in relativity, velocity addition is non-linear, and so is angle addition. It is easy to contrive a situation where the two velocity vectors are large and in opposite directions, such that the combination of their angles amounts to more than Pi/2. This is prohibited, because at Pi/2, v = c.

If we change from circular polar to hyperbolic polar, a = |x| cosh(w), b = |x| sinh(w), c = |y| cosh(w) and d = |y| sinh(w). Then the inner product becomes
<x,y> = (|x| cosh(w) * |y| cosh(w') +|x| sinh(w) * |y| sinh(w')) +
(|x| sinh(w) * |y| cosh(w') - |x| cosh(w) * |y| sinh(w'))i = |x||y|cosh(w)*cosh(w')+sinh(w)*sinh(w')) +
(sinh(w)*cosh(w')-cosh(w)*sinh(w'))i) |x||y|(cosh(w+w')+sinh(w-w')i).
There is no way to put the product into standard exponential form, because the sum and difference arguments are actually orthogonal.

However, as we are working outside the box, there is another option, the hypercomplex inner product. If you google this, you get lots of hits, but in google's inept way, it treats all search key words as or'd, so each hit has at least one key word. But it won't narrow the search by anding the key words. I could not find a reference for hypercomplex inner product, so I had to invent one. Using the complex inner product as a template, all I had to do was change the imaginary unit. You could say that hypercomplex means more than 1 imaginary unit. The quaternions have 3 imaginary units, but their only difference is spatial orientation. In any case, quaternions have only 4 components, which doesn't take us out of the box, since each of the 3 imaginary units behaves the same as the complex inner product above. To get out of the box, we need to replace the real scalars of the quaternion with complex scalars. Then, since linear combinations of the components produce the same 4 components, a new imaginary unit, h, had to be introduced. It is much like the i, j, and k units of the quaternion, but in combination with them, first, it is commutative, and second, their products do not repeat the i, j and k directions. This is a description of the biquaternions, as opposed to the octonions, both 8 dimensional hypercomplex numbers. So the biquaternion has 8 coordinates for its 8 units, {1, i, j, k, h, hi, hj, hk}. The reason I chose biquaternions instead of octonions is that all 7 imaginary units of the octonion have squares that equal -1, while (hi)² = (hj)² = (hk)² = +1. This is consistent with (hi)² = h²i² = (-1)(-1) = +1. The hypercomplex inner product then becomes:
<x,y> = xy* = (a+bhi)(c-dhi) = (ac-bd(hi)²)+(bc-ad)hi = (ac-bd)+(bc-ad)hi. At this point, if we substitute circular polar coordinates, we get the same kind of mismatch as above. But if we use hyperbolic polar coordinates, the game changes. Let a = |x| cosh(w), b = |x| sinh(w), c = |y| cosh(w') and d = |y| sinh(w'). Then, <x,y> = |x||y|((cosh(w-w')+sinh(w-w'))hi) = |x||y| e^(w-w')hi.

This is correct form for hyperbolic polar coordinates. It follows from the following identities:
e^w = cosh(w) + sinh(w)
e^wh = cosh(wh) + sinh(wh) = cos(w) + sin(w)h
e^wi = cosh(wi) + sinh(wi) = cos(w) + sin(w)i
e^wj = cosh(wj) + sinh(wj) = cos(w) + sin(w)j
e^wk = cosh(wk) + sinh(wk) = cos(w) + sin(w)k
e^whi = cosh(whi) + sinh(whi) = cosh(w) + sinh(w)hi
Then, e^whi*e^(-whi) = (cosh(w) + sinh(w)hi)(cosh(w) - sinh(w)hi) cosh²(w) - sinh²(w)(hi)² = cosh²(w) - sinh²(w) = 1.

Since the product is the same form as the factors, we can ask what happens when we take the hypercomplex inner product of the product with itself. For a simple hypercomplex vector, a and b are the same as above, but |y| = |x|, c = a and d = b. The inner product is (a*a-b*b) + (b*a-a*b)hi = a²-b² |x|²cosh²(w) - |x|²sinh²(w) = |x|². So, <<x,y>,<x,y>> |x||y|((cosh(w-w')+sinh(w-w'))hi) * |x||y|((cosh(w-w')-sinh(w-w'))hi) |x|²|y|²(cosh²(w-w') - sinh²(w-w')(hi)²) = |x|²|y|²(cosh²(w-w') - sinh²(w-w')) |x|²|y|² = (ac-bd)² - (bc-ad)²
If we require that neither x nor y be the zero vector, we can divide both sides of this equation by |x|²|y|², yielding 1 = (ac-bd)²/(|x|²|y|²) - (bc-ad)²/(|x|²|y|²)
Term by term comparison tells us that cosh(Δw) = (ac-bd)/(|x||y|) and sinh(Δw) = (bc-ad)/(|x||y|), for some arbitrary Δw. If we start with the same equation and move the negative term to the other side of the equal sign,
|x|²|y|² + (bc-ad)² = (ac-bd)². In hyperbolic coordinates, a and c are always positive and always greater than b and d, so this term can never be zero. Divide through by the RHS, and the result is:
|x|²|y|²/(ac-bd)² + (bc-ad)²/(ac-bd)² = 1, the equation of the unit circle. By symmetry, cos(Δθ) = |x||y|/(ac-bd) and sin(Δθ) = (bc-ad)/(ac-bd). Comparison with the previous case indicates that
cosh(Δw) = (ac-bd)/(|x||y|) = 1/cos(Δθ) = sec(Δθ) = γ.
This is one of the 6 identities of the gudermannian of Δw. The rest are:
sinh(Δw) = (bc-ad)/(|x||y|) = tan(Δθ) = βγ
tanh(Δw) = (bc-ad)/(ac-bd) = sin(Δθ) = β
sech(Δw) = (|x||y|)/(ac-bd) = cos(Δθ) = 1/γ
csch(Δw) = (|x||y|)/(bc-ad) = cot(Δθ) = 1/βγ
coth(Δw) = (ac-bd)/(bc-ad) = csc(Δθ) = 1/β

This gives us the relationships between each hyperbolic trig function and its corresponding circular function. Since the squares of these 12 functions are members of a 6-group, {λ, λ/(λ-1), 1/(1-λ), 1/λ, (λ-1)/λ, (1-λ)} all 12 can be determined from a single function, without even knowing the relationship between the angles. But we are interested in the relationship between the angles. These are 6 different ways to express it. But if we differentiate each with respect to either angle, the result in all cases is the same differential equation, dw/dθ = sec(θ) or dθ/dw = cos(θ). (Since Δw and Δθ are both arbitrary labels, we can drop the Δ.) The first form can be integrated directly by moving dθ from the LHS to the RHS, dw = sec(θ) dθ. Then, w ln(sec(θ)+tan(θ)), or e^w = sec(θ)+tan(θ). And, e^-w = sec(θ)-tan(θ). Further,
½(e^w+e^-w) = cosh(w) = sec(θ) and ½(e^w-e^-w) = sinh(w) = tan(θ), confirming the identities cited above.

The second form is even more interesting. It tells us that for equal small increments of w, the increment of θ is its cosine projection, based on the current value of θ. As w ranges from 0 to a final value, θ is the integral of all these cosine projections. Using the same diffeq, we can make it integrable by substituting sech(w) for cos(θ). Then the integral of sech(w) dw is θ = arctan(sinh(w)), or tan(θ) = sinh(w), one of the above identities. If we carry the integration out to w = infinity, we find that the value of θ at that limit is Pi/2, and sinh(∞) = tan(Pi/2) or tanh(∞) = sin(Pi/2), implying that c sinh(∞) = c tan(Pi/2) and c tanh(∞) = c sin(Pi/2). Infinite Proper velocity maps to measurable lightspeed. The speed of light is the limit of the cosine projections of Proper velocity as rapidity approaches infinity. This is why the speed of light is invariant and the same for all observers regardless of relative velocity. Infinity is the same everywhere. And compared to infinity, any finite Proper velocity is essentially zero.. It is an intrinsic, mathematical property of infinity and has nothing to do with physics, nor does it require time dilation and length contraction to make it true. Einstein's postulate is irrelevant. It is just a restatement of the math. The properties of apparent time dilation and length contraction are artifacts of the math, too.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Deconstruction of Special Relativity

<09c3d07b-e347-43e5-879c-113c91718993n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=98960&group=sci.physics.relativity#98960

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 17:39:52 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Deconstruction of Special Relativity
From: tgcapi...@gmail.com (Tom Capizzi)
 by: Tom Capizzi - Mon, 24 Oct 2022 00:39 UTC

<1q0btl3.1jez43koib1t9N%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=98993&group=sci.physics.relativity#98993

From: nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 11:31:41 +0200
 by: J. J. Lodder - Mon, 24 Oct 2022 09:31 UTC

Tom Capizzi <tgcapizzi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Same post as before, but a few minor typos corrected. Is there a way to
> edit a post other than replacing it?

Yes, there is 'Supersedes' and 'Replaces' for that.
Many servers don't honour it,

Jan
(but no one will read your ramblings anyway, try to edit down)

Re: Deconstruction of Special Relativity

<193ef279-c081-4122-a4b7-a2383ed93753n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=98999&group=sci.physics.relativity#98999

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 05:13:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: tgcapi...@gmail.com (Tom Capizzi)
 by: Tom Capizzi - Mon, 24 Oct 2022 12:13 UTC

On Monday, October 24, 2022 at 5:31:43 AM UTC-4, J. J. Lodder wrote:
> Tom Capizzi <tgca...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Same post as before, but a few minor typos corrected. Is there a way to
> > edit a post other than replacing it?
> Yes, there is 'Supersedes' and 'Replaces' for that.
> Many servers don't honour it,
>
> Jan
> (but no one will read your ramblings anyway, try to edit down)

You can call it rambling. I call it thoroughness. Don't care if you are only interested in superficial generalizations. It takes you a lot less time to read than it takes me to write. On my website, I convert a lot of the details to pop-ups so the details are there but not on top. Usenet is not that sophisticated.