Klein bottle for rent -- inquire within.

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Spoke sensor for bicycle

SubjectAuthor
* Spoke sensor for bicycleDimiter_Popoff
+* Re: Spoke sensor for bicycleJoe Gwinn
|+* Re: Spoke sensor for bicycleDimiter_Popoff
||+* Re: Spoke sensor for bicycleJoe Gwinn
|||`* Re: Spoke sensor for bicycleJan Panteltje
||| +* Re: Spoke sensor for bicycleJoe Gwinn
||| +* Re: Spoke sensor for bicycleJoe Gwinn
||| `* Re: Spoke sensor for bicycleClive Arthur
|||  `- Re: Spoke sensor for bicyclePhil Hobbs
||`* Re: Spoke sensor for bicycleClive Arthur
|| +- Re: Spoke sensor for bicycleDimiter_Popoff
|| `- Re: Spoke sensor for bicyclePhil Hobbs
|`* Re: Spoke sensor for bicycleJasen Betts
| `* Re: Spoke sensor for bicyclewhit3rd
|  `- Re: Spoke sensor for bicycleJasen Betts
+- Re: Spoke sensor for bicycleClive Arthur
+* Re: Spoke sensor for bicycleJohn Doe
> [...]
|    |+* Re: Spoke sensor for bicyclerbowman
|    ||`* Re: Spoke sensor for bicycleDon Y
|    || `* Re: Spoke sensor for bicyclerbowman
|    ||  `- Re: Spoke sensor for bicycleDon Y
|    |`* Re: Spoke sensor for bicycleDimiter_Popoff
|    | +- Re: Spoke sensor for bicyclea a
|    | +* Re: Spoke sensor for bicycleDon Y
|    | |`- Re: Spoke sensor for bicyclerbowman
|    | +* Re: Spoke sensor for bicyclerbowman
|    | |`- Re: Spoke sensor for bicycleClifford Heath
|    | `* Re: Spoke sensor for bicyclenone
|    |  `* Re: Spoke sensor for bicyclerbowman
|    |   +* Re: Spoke sensor for bicycleLasse Langwadt Christensen
|    |   |`* Re: Spoke sensor for bicyclerbowman
|    |   | +- Re: Spoke sensor for bicycleLasse Langwadt Christensen
|    |   | `* Re: Spoke sensor for bicycleClifford Heath
|    |   `- Re: Spoke sensor for bicyclenone
|    `* Re: Spoke sensor for bicycleJoe Gwinn
+- Re: Spoke sensor for bicycleDecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
+- Re: Spoke sensor for bicyclebob prohaska
`- Re: Spoke sensor for bicycleFred Bloggs

Pages:12345
Spoke sensor for bicycle

<t8aapr$ab6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99255&group=sci.electronics.design#99255

From: dp...@tgi-sci.com (Dimiter_Popoff)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Spoke sensor for bicycle
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 18:51:21 +0300
 by: Dimiter_Popoff - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 15:51 UTC

I started cycling again (used to as a kid...) some 4 years ago.
And while I know there are plenty of super cheap "bicycle computers"
I have been thinking of making my own.
Thus so far 4 years no speed/mileage indicator for me, obviously.
While this may likely remain the case forever I am still thinking
about it - not the obvious things like the MCU, display etc., just
the rotation sensor. They all use a magnet placed somewhere on one
of the wheels and some sensor, I have used a Hall sensor for
pretty precise positioning of the rotor of our TLD reader etc.,
but I only still keep on thinking of making the thing because I
imagine it sensing just the spokes, i.e. making some inductive sensor.

I know what I will try out etc., I may even get to designing one before
the millennium is over but well, these thoughts seem to be on topic and
I am sure there are people with more experience making inductive
sensors than I have.

Dimiter Popoff, TGI http://www.tgi-sci.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/didi_tgi/

Re: Spoke sensor for bicycle

<ptbhah5sb0g17ufk9dpuqt30cfmh26jmpb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99258&group=sci.electronics.design#99258

From: joegw...@comcast.net (Joe Gwinn)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Spoke sensor for bicycle
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 11:57:18 -0400
 by: Joe Gwinn - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 15:57 UTC

On Tue, 14 Jun 2022 18:51:21 +0300, Dimiter_Popoff <dp@tgi-sci.com>
wrote:

>I started cycling again (used to as a kid...) some 4 years ago.
>And while I know there are plenty of super cheap "bicycle computers"
>I have been thinking of making my own.
>Thus so far 4 years no speed/mileage indicator for me, obviously.
>While this may likely remain the case forever I am still thinking
>about it - not the obvious things like the MCU, display etc., just
>the rotation sensor. They all use a magnet placed somewhere on one
>of the wheels and some sensor, I have used a Hall sensor for
>pretty precise positioning of the rotor of our TLD reader etc.,
>but I only still keep on thinking of making the thing because I
>imagine it sensing just the spokes, i.e. making some inductive sensor.
>
>I know what I will try out etc., I may even get to designing one before
>the millennium is over but well, these thoughts seem to be on topic and
>I am sure there are people with more experience making inductive
>sensors than I have.

..<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_reluctance_sensor>

Joe Gwinn

Re: Spoke sensor for bicycle

<t8ad1s$r5u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99263&group=sci.electronics.design#99263

From: cli...@nowaytoday.co.uk (Clive Arthur)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 17:29:46 +0100
 by: Clive Arthur - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 16:29 UTC

On 14/06/2022 16:51, Dimiter_Popoff wrote:
> I started cycling again (used to as a kid...) some 4 years ago.
> And while I know there are plenty of super cheap "bicycle computers"
> I have been thinking of making my own.
> Thus so far 4 years no speed/mileage indicator for me, obviously.
> While this may likely remain the case forever I am still thinking
> about it - not the obvious things like the MCU, display etc., just
> the rotation sensor. They all use a magnet placed somewhere on one
> of the wheels and some sensor, I have used a Hall sensor for
> pretty precise positioning of the rotor of our TLD reader etc.,
> but I only still keep on thinking of making the thing because I
> imagine it sensing just the spokes, i.e. making some inductive sensor.
>
> I know what I will try out etc., I may even get to designing one before
> the millennium is over but well, these thoughts seem to be on topic and
> I am sure there are people with more experience making inductive
> sensors than I have.

The ones I've had just used an encapsulated reed switch on the fork with
a magnet on a spoke. It woke up the processor as well as providing a
rotation signal.

This was a few years back though.

--
Cheers
Clive

Re: Spoke sensor for bicycle

<t8afc7$cq0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99269&group=sci.electronics.design#99269

From: dp...@tgi-sci.com (Dimiter_Popoff)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 20:09:26 +0300
 by: Dimiter_Popoff - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 17:09 UTC

On 6/14/2022 18:57, Joe Gwinn wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2022 18:51:21 +0300, Dimiter_Popoff <dp@tgi-sci.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I started cycling again (used to as a kid...) some 4 years ago.
>> And while I know there are plenty of super cheap "bicycle computers"
>> I have been thinking of making my own.
>> Thus so far 4 years no speed/mileage indicator for me, obviously.
>> While this may likely remain the case forever I am still thinking
>> about it - not the obvious things like the MCU, display etc., just
>> the rotation sensor. They all use a magnet placed somewhere on one
>> of the wheels and some sensor, I have used a Hall sensor for
>> pretty precise positioning of the rotor of our TLD reader etc.,
>> but I only still keep on thinking of making the thing because I
>> imagine it sensing just the spokes, i.e. making some inductive sensor.
>>
>> I know what I will try out etc., I may even get to designing one before
>> the millennium is over but well, these thoughts seem to be on topic and
>> I am sure there are people with more experience making inductive
>> sensors than I have.
>>

> .<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_reluctance_sensor>
>

> Joe Gwinn

Hmmm, but will that work at really low speed (like when pushing the
bike uphill)? It is an idea to do it this way (I did not even know the
name of the method so the idea is more than welcome), yet what I was
thinking was more in the line of changing some oscillation frequency
(thus detecting the spokes also "at DC").

Re: Spoke sensor for bicycle

<t8afpb$t21$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99272&group=sci.electronics.design#99272

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 17:16:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 17:16 UTC

Dimiter_Popoff <dp@tgi-sci.com> wrote:

> I started cycling again (used to as a kid...) some 4 years ago. And
> while I know there are plenty of super cheap "bicycle computers" I have
> been thinking of making my own. Thus so far 4 years no speed/mileage
> indicator for me, obviously. While this may likely remain the case
> forever I am still thinking about it - not the obvious things like the
> MCU, display etc., just the rotation sensor. They all use a magnet
> placed somewhere on one of the wheels and some sensor, I have used a
> Hall sensor for pretty precise positioning of the rotor of our TLD
> reader etc., but I only still keep on thinking of making the thing
> because I imagine it sensing just the spokes, i.e. making some inductive
> sensor.
>
> I know what I will try out etc., I may even get to designing one before
> the millennium is over but well, these thoughts seem to be on topic and
> I am sure there are people with more experience making inductive sensors
> than I have.

This might be blasphemy, but...

Speed and mileage indication is easily done with a smartphone these days,
at least here in America.

Re: Spoke sensor for bicycle

<c5ca6563-7e71-4ec9-b167-5ffb2b3482e6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99275&group=sci.electronics.design#99275

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 10:25:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Ricky)
 by: Ricky - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 17:25 UTC

On Tuesday, June 14, 2022 at 1:16:34 PM UTC-4, John Doe wrote:
> Dimiter_Popoff <d...@tgi-sci.com> wrote:
>
> > I started cycling again (used to as a kid...) some 4 years ago. And
> > while I know there are plenty of super cheap "bicycle computers" I have
> > been thinking of making my own. Thus so far 4 years no speed/mileage
> > indicator for me, obviously. While this may likely remain the case
> > forever I am still thinking about it - not the obvious things like the
> > MCU, display etc., just the rotation sensor. They all use a magnet
> > placed somewhere on one of the wheels and some sensor, I have used a
> > Hall sensor for pretty precise positioning of the rotor of our TLD
> > reader etc., but I only still keep on thinking of making the thing
> > because I imagine it sensing just the spokes, i.e. making some inductive
> > sensor.
> >
> > I know what I will try out etc., I may even get to designing one before
> > the millennium is over but well, these thoughts seem to be on topic and
> > I am sure there are people with more experience making inductive sensors
> > than I have.
> This might be blasphemy, but...
>
> Speed and mileage indication is easily done with a smartphone these days,
> at least here in America.

People often talk about cell phones as if they had universal coverage. That is true for 99.9% of where people spend their time. But that 0.1% of the time, like biking in the woods, you are out of cell phone range. So any solution needs to not depend on a cell phone connection. If you can use the GPS in your phone without a cell connection, great! But I haven't found such a program as yet. Maybe I just haven't dug deep enough.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: Spoke sensor for bicycle

<t8agsk$o2h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99278&group=sci.electronics.design#99278

From: dp...@tgi-sci.com (Dimiter_Popoff)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 20:35:15 +0300
 by: Dimiter_Popoff - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 17:35 UTC

On 6/14/2022 20:25, Ricky wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 14, 2022 at 1:16:34 PM UTC-4, John Doe wrote:
>> Dimiter_Popoff <d...@tgi-sci.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I started cycling again (used to as a kid...) some 4 years ago. And
>>> while I know there are plenty of super cheap "bicycle computers" I have
>>> been thinking of making my own. Thus so far 4 years no speed/mileage
>>> indicator for me, obviously. While this may likely remain the case
>>> forever I am still thinking about it - not the obvious things like the
>>> MCU, display etc., just the rotation sensor. They all use a magnet
>>> placed somewhere on one of the wheels and some sensor, I have used a
>>> Hall sensor for pretty precise positioning of the rotor of our TLD
>>> reader etc., but I only still keep on thinking of making the thing
>>> because I imagine it sensing just the spokes, i.e. making some inductive
>>> sensor.
>>>
>>> I know what I will try out etc., I may even get to designing one before
>>> the millennium is over but well, these thoughts seem to be on topic and
>>> I am sure there are people with more experience making inductive sensors
>>> than I have.
>> This might be blasphemy, but...
>>
>> Speed and mileage indication is easily done with a smartphone these days,
>> at least here in America.
>
> People often talk about cell phones as if they had universal coverage. That is true for 99.9% of where people spend their time. But that 0.1% of the time, like biking in the woods, you are out of cell phone range. So any solution needs to not depend on a cell phone connection. If you can use the GPS in your phone without a cell connection, great! But I haven't found such a program as yet. Maybe I just haven't dug deep enough.

Oh where I bike there is coverage allright, and I think I had seen
references to some apps for biking. Looks like the only thing making
me think of that "project" I am unlikely to ever even start is the
sensor design.... (I am vague because I am not so sure myself why I
keep thinking of this every now and then for 4 years and still have
nothing in use when I bike :).

Re: Spoke sensor for bicycle

<t8ahiq$t5s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99279&group=sci.electronics.design#99279

From: pNaonStp...@yahoo.com (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 17:43:00 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.com/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 17:43 UTC

On a sunny day (Tue, 14 Jun 2022 18:51:21 +0300) it happened Dimiter_Popoff
<dp@tgi-sci.com> wrote in <t8aapr$ab6$1@dont-email.me>:

>I started cycling again (used to as a kid...) some 4 years ago.
>And while I know there are plenty of super cheap "bicycle computers"
>I have been thinking of making my own.
>Thus so far 4 years no speed/mileage indicator for me, obviously.
>While this may likely remain the case forever I am still thinking
>about it - not the obvious things like the MCU, display etc., just
>the rotation sensor. They all use a magnet placed somewhere on one
>of the wheels and some sensor, I have used a Hall sensor for
>pretty precise positioning of the rotor of our TLD reader etc.,
>but I only still keep on thinking of making the thing because I
>imagine it sensing just the spokes, i.e. making some inductive sensor.
>
>I know what I will try out etc., I may even get to designing one before
>the millennium is over but well, these thoughts seem to be on topic and
>I am sure there are people with more experience making inductive
>sensors than I have.

Or you could make something like my gm_pic2:
http://panteltje.com/panteltje/pic/gm_pic2/

It uses GPS and writes to SDcard or EEPROM where you were at any time, logs radiation there too
There is software to replay the trip on google maps.
After all the GPS talk here ..
Simple maaz using the space and time between data points will allow you to find speed and distances.
A GPS module and a Microchip 18F14k22 + EEPROM is all you need.
Oh and a battery...
Now been working 24/7 for 8 years... As clock mostly.
No tinkering with your bike needed.
Also logs trips per bus or train.

Re: Spoke sensor for bicycle

<t8aiai$34s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99280&group=sci.electronics.design#99280

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 17:59:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 17:59 UTC

Ricky <gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> wrote:

> John Doe wrote:
>> Dimiter_Popoff wrote:

>>> I started cycling again (used to as a kid...) some 4 years ago. And
>>> while I know there are plenty of super cheap "bicycle computers" I
>>> have
>
>>> been thinking of making my own. Thus so far 4 years no speed/mileage
>>> indicator for me, obviously. While this may likely remain the case
>>> forever I am still thinking about it - not the obvious things like
>>> the MCU, display etc., just the rotation sensor. They all use a magnet
>>> placed somewhere on one of the wheels and some sensor, I have used a
>>> Hall sensor for pretty precise positioning of the rotor of our TLD
>>> reader etc., but I only still keep on thinking of making the thing
>>> because I imagine it sensing just the spokes, i.e. making some
>>> inductive sensor.
>>>
>>> I know what I will try out etc., I may even get to designing one
>>> before the millennium is over but well, these thoughts seem to be on
>>> topic and I am sure there are people with more experience making
>>> inductive sensors than I have.

>> This might be blasphemy, but...
>>
>> Speed and mileage indication is easily done with a smartphone these
>> days, at least here in America.
>
> People often talk about cell phones as if they had universal coverage.
> That is true for 99.9% of where people spend their time. But that 0.1%
> of the time, like biking in the woods, you are out of cell phone range.
> So any solution needs to not depend on a cell phone connection. If you
> can use the GPS in your phone without a cell connection, great! But I
> haven't found such a program as yet. Maybe I just haven't dug deep
> enough.

On Android? Can anybody name one such Android app (with a decent rating)
that DOESN'T work off-line (at least after you have paid the 1 or $2 for
it)? There are plenty of hiking apps, obviously all of them work off-line.

Another benefit is the logging, keeping a record of your travels. Plus it
can use a phone's altimeter. Disclaimer: I haven't used any for real, just
played with them.

In the iPhone 3 days, I was pleasantly STUNNED by the fact weather radar
was already available on a smartphone. I thought that was futuristic, but
we were already there and there it was! Now the best for that is probably
NOAH's website version. It's not perfectly functional, it could pause on
the last frame and it could allow adjusting the frame rate, but it's easy
to set up. It requires Internet. Use that sort of app on my PC ALL the time.

Re: Spoke sensor for bicycle

<t8aicd$2uq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99281&group=sci.electronics.design#99281

From: dp...@tgi-sci.com (Dimiter_Popoff)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 21:00:44 +0300
 by: Dimiter_Popoff - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 18:00 UTC

On 6/14/2022 20:43, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> On a sunny day (Tue, 14 Jun 2022 18:51:21 +0300) it happened Dimiter_Popoff
> <dp@tgi-sci.com> wrote in <t8aapr$ab6$1@dont-email.me>:
>
>> I started cycling again (used to as a kid...) some 4 years ago.
>> And while I know there are plenty of super cheap "bicycle computers"
>> I have been thinking of making my own.
>> Thus so far 4 years no speed/mileage indicator for me, obviously.
>> While this may likely remain the case forever I am still thinking
>> about it - not the obvious things like the MCU, display etc., just
>> the rotation sensor. They all use a magnet placed somewhere on one
>> of the wheels and some sensor, I have used a Hall sensor for
>> pretty precise positioning of the rotor of our TLD reader etc.,
>> but I only still keep on thinking of making the thing because I
>> imagine it sensing just the spokes, i.e. making some inductive sensor.
>>
>> I know what I will try out etc., I may even get to designing one before
>> the millennium is over but well, these thoughts seem to be on topic and
>> I am sure there are people with more experience making inductive
>> sensors than I have.
>
> Or you could make something like my gm_pic2:
> http://panteltje.com/panteltje/pic/gm_pic2/
>
> It uses GPS and writes to SDcard or EEPROM where you were at any time, logs radiation there too
> There is software to replay the trip on google maps.
> After all the GPS talk here ..
> Simple maaz using the space and time between data points will allow you to find speed and distances.
> A GPS module and a Microchip 18F14k22 + EEPROM is all you need.
> Oh and a battery...
> Now been working 24/7 for 8 years... As clock mostly.
> No tinkering with your bike needed.
> Also logs trips per bus or train.

Is the GPS accuracy/latency of the speed measurement close to that of
a car's speed indicator?

Re: Spoke sensor for bicycle

<30a18e92-4997-4c53-86d6-c2a7df551d83n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99282&group=sci.electronics.design#99282

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 11:15:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Ricky)
 by: Ricky - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 18:15 UTC

On Tuesday, June 14, 2022 at 1:59:54 PM UTC-4, John Doe wrote:
> Ricky <gnuarm.del...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > John Doe wrote:

> >> This might be blasphemy, but...
> >>
> >> Speed and mileage indication is easily done with a smartphone these
> >> days, at least here in America.
> >
> > People often talk about cell phones as if they had universal coverage.
> > That is true for 99.9% of where people spend their time. But that 0.1%
> > of the time, like biking in the woods, you are out of cell phone range.
> > So any solution needs to not depend on a cell phone connection. If you
> > can use the GPS in your phone without a cell connection, great! But I
> > haven't found such a program as yet. Maybe I just haven't dug deep
> > enough.
> On Android? Can anybody name one such Android app (with a decent rating)
> that DOESN'T work off-line (at least after you have paid the 1 or $2 for
> it)? There are plenty of hiking apps, obviously all of them work off-line..

I can't get Alltrails to do much offline. It does have a numeric display that shows your lat/long, but that's not much use. To do anything else it's asking me to log in! That's hard to do without a connection. I guess people download stuff in advance of a hike or whatever... or they just use their data connection, when they have one.

--

Rick C.

+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: Spoke sensor for bicycle

<652eecd9-9fd2-47e0-8130-4df83ad241b5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99283&group=sci.electronics.design#99283

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 11:21:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 18:21 UTC

On Tuesday, June 14, 2022 at 8:51:30 AM UTC-7, Dimiter Popoff wrote:
> I started cycling again (used to as a kid...) some 4 years ago.
> And while I know there are plenty of super cheap "bicycle computers"
> I have been thinking of making my own.
> ...use a magnet placed somewhere on one
> of the wheels and some sensor, ... I
> imagine it sensing just the spokes, i.e. making some inductive sensor.

A magnet secured to a spoke, and a reed switch, makes a durable sensor, but
is somewhat clumsy. A sensor of the metal spoke is hard, because spokes
aren't all magnetic, there's stainless steels. Have you considered a reluctance
sensor on a gear-cluster tooth? There's some DC insensitivity, unlike with Hall
sensors, but maybe a low-speed signal dropout isn't going to be a bother.

A reluctance sensor is a coil of wire between a long weak-ish magnet (you don't want to
attract metal bits) and a tooth's circular trajectory. Into a high impedance, it generates a
peak/valley two-lobed pulse at a tooth passage, where the volt-seconds of the peak
and the volt-seconds of the valley are constants (so voltage goes low when speed is slow).
A set/reset flipflop makes a good debouncer for that.

You might consider putting a magnet not on a spoke, but inside
the tire; a button-size rare earth magnet won't show, but a Hall sensor of the non-hysteresis
type should pick it up easily. I'd put the magnet center-of-tread, and affix the sensor near the bottom bracket.

Re: Spoke sensor for bicycle

<jgs1usFt2grU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99284&group=sci.electronics.design#99284

From: new...@analogconsultants.com (Joerg)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 11:22:18 -0700
 by: Joerg - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 18:22 UTC

On 6/14/22 8:51 AM, Dimiter_Popoff wrote:
> I started cycling again (used to as a kid...) some 4 years ago.
> And while I know there are plenty of super cheap "bicycle computers"
> I have been thinking of making my own.
> Thus so far 4 years no speed/mileage indicator for me, obviously.
> While this may likely remain the case forever I am still thinking
> about it - not the obvious things like the MCU, display etc., just
> the rotation sensor. They all use a magnet placed somewhere on one
> of the wheels and some sensor, I have used a Hall sensor for
> pretty precise positioning of the rotor of our TLD reader etc.,
> but I only still keep on thinking of making the thing because I
> imagine it sensing just the spokes, i.e. making some inductive sensor.

There are at least two reasons for the magnet. One is that it triggers a
reed contact on the other side. This allows the whole speedometer to not
have to be turned off by hand for battery conservation. It simply does
that on its own and when the reed switch changes state again it turns
itself back on. So you can just park your bike and walk away. Well,
maybe not in a large city because then it gets stolen.

The second reason is that this system works down to very low speeds.
There isn't actually a lower limit and it will still clock the miles
correctly.

> I know what I will try out etc., I may even get to designing one before
> the millennium is over but well, these thoughts seem to be on topic and
> I am sure there are people with more experience making inductive
> sensors than I have.

I can already smell an engineer's solution coming up. Huge sensor,
multiple bus cables, a laptop mounted to the handlebar ... :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Re: Spoke sensor for bicycle

<jgs22pFt2grU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99285&group=sci.electronics.design#99285

From: new...@analogconsultants.com (Joerg)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 11:24:25 -0700
 by: Joerg - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 18:24 UTC

On 6/14/22 10:16 AM, John Doe wrote:
> Dimiter_Popoff <dp@tgi-sci.com> wrote:
>
>> I started cycling again (used to as a kid...) some 4 years ago. And
>> while I know there are plenty of super cheap "bicycle computers" I have
>> been thinking of making my own. Thus so far 4 years no speed/mileage
>> indicator for me, obviously. While this may likely remain the case
>> forever I am still thinking about it - not the obvious things like the
>> MCU, display etc., just the rotation sensor. They all use a magnet
>> placed somewhere on one of the wheels and some sensor, I have used a
>> Hall sensor for pretty precise positioning of the rotor of our TLD
>> reader etc., but I only still keep on thinking of making the thing
>> because I imagine it sensing just the spokes, i.e. making some inductive
>> sensor.
>>
>> I know what I will try out etc., I may even get to designing one before
>> the millennium is over but well, these thoughts seem to be on topic and
>> I am sure there are people with more experience making inductive sensors
>> than I have.
>
> This might be blasphemy, but...
>
> Speed and mileage indication is easily done with a smartphone these days,
> at least here in America.

Then, later in the afternoon during an all-day ride, there will be a low
battery warning, followed by a dark screen.

Why do we always have to make things so complicated? When I grew up
speedometers didn't even need any electrical power. They just worked.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Re: Spoke sensor for bicycle

<10182b40-8502-4f79-9d01-d1792c00bf9dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99286&group=sci.electronics.design#99286

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 11:27:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Ricky)
 by: Ricky - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 18:27 UTC

On Tuesday, June 14, 2022 at 2:00:52 PM UTC-4, Dimiter Popoff wrote:
> On 6/14/2022 20:43, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> > On a sunny day (Tue, 14 Jun 2022 18:51:21 +0300) it happened Dimiter_Popoff
> > <d...@tgi-sci.com> wrote in <t8aapr$ab6$1...@dont-email.me>:
> >
> >> I started cycling again (used to as a kid...) some 4 years ago.
> >> And while I know there are plenty of super cheap "bicycle computers"
> >> I have been thinking of making my own.
> >> Thus so far 4 years no speed/mileage indicator for me, obviously.
> >> While this may likely remain the case forever I am still thinking
> >> about it - not the obvious things like the MCU, display etc., just
> >> the rotation sensor. They all use a magnet placed somewhere on one
> >> of the wheels and some sensor, I have used a Hall sensor for
> >> pretty precise positioning of the rotor of our TLD reader etc.,
> >> but I only still keep on thinking of making the thing because I
> >> imagine it sensing just the spokes, i.e. making some inductive sensor.
> >>
> >> I know what I will try out etc., I may even get to designing one before
> >> the millennium is over but well, these thoughts seem to be on topic and
> >> I am sure there are people with more experience making inductive
> >> sensors than I have.
> >
> > Or you could make something like my gm_pic2:
> > http://panteltje.com/panteltje/pic/gm_pic2/
> >
> > It uses GPS and writes to SDcard or EEPROM where you were at any time, logs radiation there too
> > There is software to replay the trip on google maps.
> > After all the GPS talk here ..
> > Simple maaz using the space and time between data points will allow you to find speed and distances.
> > A GPS module and a Microchip 18F14k22 + EEPROM is all you need.
> > Oh and a battery...
> > Now been working 24/7 for 8 years... As clock mostly.
> > No tinkering with your bike needed.
> > Also logs trips per bus or train.
> >

> Is the GPS accuracy/latency of the speed measurement close to that of
> a car's speed indicator?

"Close" is probably the best you can claim. Each 1 second update is a second old by the time you get it from the GPS. The accuracy can be there, but it depends on the constellation. With some xx feet of accuracy, each calculation can have errors that are significant if you are not moving fast. 30 mph is 44 fps, so 14 foot accuracy (what I'm seeing now and a typical value) is significant. GPS measurements are typically filtered. That's one reason why your car navigation can prompt you rather late sometimes (or early). It is hard for a GPS to know what lane you are in, but can tell if you are on the parallel access road and not the main highway.

--

Rick C.

-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: Spoke sensor for bicycle

<ed2b55db-88d6-4485-be4c-603da9810f6an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99288&group=sci.electronics.design#99288

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 11:31:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Ricky)
 by: Ricky - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 18:31 UTC

On Tuesday, June 14, 2022 at 2:21:58 PM UTC-4, whit3rd wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 14, 2022 at 8:51:30 AM UTC-7, Dimiter Popoff wrote:
> > I started cycling again (used to as a kid...) some 4 years ago.
> > And while I know there are plenty of super cheap "bicycle computers"
> > I have been thinking of making my own.
> > ...use a magnet placed somewhere on one
> > of the wheels and some sensor, ... I
> > imagine it sensing just the spokes, i.e. making some inductive sensor.
> A magnet secured to a spoke, and a reed switch, makes a durable sensor, but
> is somewhat clumsy. A sensor of the metal spoke is hard, because spokes
> aren't all magnetic, there's stainless steels. Have you considered a reluctance
> sensor on a gear-cluster tooth? There's some DC insensitivity, unlike with Hall
> sensors, but maybe a low-speed signal dropout isn't going to be a bother.

Does it have to be magnetic? A conductor moving in a magnetic field creates a current which also creates a magnetic field which can be detected, no?

--

Rick C.

-+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: Spoke sensor for bicycle

<b9f4766f-43c0-4d66-93e1-d81f511b9aaan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99289&group=sci.electronics.design#99289

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 11:36:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: langw...@fonz.dk (Lasse Langwadt Christensen)
 by: Lasse Langwadt Chris - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 18:36 UTC

tirsdag den 14. juni 2022 kl. 20.28.02 UTC+2 skrev Ricky:
> On Tuesday, June 14, 2022 at 2:00:52 PM UTC-4, Dimiter Popoff wrote:
> > On 6/14/2022 20:43, Jan Panteltje wrote:

> > > Or you could make something like my gm_pic2:
> > > http://panteltje.com/panteltje/pic/gm_pic2/
> > >
> > > It uses GPS and writes to SDcard or EEPROM where you were at any time, logs radiation there too
> > > There is software to replay the trip on google maps.
> > > After all the GPS talk here ..
> > > Simple maaz using the space and time between data points will allow you to find speed and distances.
> > > A GPS module and a Microchip 18F14k22 + EEPROM is all you need.
> > > Oh and a battery...
> > > Now been working 24/7 for 8 years... As clock mostly.
> > > No tinkering with your bike needed.
> > > Also logs trips per bus or train.
> > >

> > Is the GPS accuracy/latency of the speed measurement close to that of
> > a car's speed indicator?
> "Close" is probably the best you can claim. Each 1 second update is a second old by the time you get it from the GPS. The accuracy can be there, but it depends on the constellation. With some xx feet of accuracy, each calculation can have errors that are significant if you are not moving fast. 30 mph is 44 fps, so 14 foot accuracy (what I'm seeing now and a typical value) is significant. GPS measurements are typically filtered. That's one reason why your car navigation can prompt you rather late sometimes (or early). It is hard for a GPS to know what lane you are in, but can tell if you are on the parallel access road and not the main highway.

https://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/performance/accuracy/

Re: Spoke sensor for bicycle

<84f81748-b3bd-4a0b-b19e-6db86e238e55n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99290&group=sci.electronics.design#99290

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 11:44:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: langw...@fonz.dk (Lasse Langwadt Christensen)
 by: Lasse Langwadt Chris - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 18:44 UTC

tirsdag den 14. juni 2022 kl. 20.00.52 UTC+2 skrev Dimiter Popoff:
> On 6/14/2022 20:43, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> > On a sunny day (Tue, 14 Jun 2022 18:51:21 +0300) it happened Dimiter_Popoff
> > <d...@tgi-sci.com> wrote in <t8aapr$ab6$1...@dont-email.me>:
> >
> >> I started cycling again (used to as a kid...) some 4 years ago.
> >> And while I know there are plenty of super cheap "bicycle computers"
> >> I have been thinking of making my own.
> >> Thus so far 4 years no speed/mileage indicator for me, obviously.
> >> While this may likely remain the case forever I am still thinking
> >> about it - not the obvious things like the MCU, display etc., just
> >> the rotation sensor. They all use a magnet placed somewhere on one
> >> of the wheels and some sensor, I have used a Hall sensor for
> >> pretty precise positioning of the rotor of our TLD reader etc.,
> >> but I only still keep on thinking of making the thing because I
> >> imagine it sensing just the spokes, i.e. making some inductive sensor.
> >>
> >> I know what I will try out etc., I may even get to designing one before
> >> the millennium is over but well, these thoughts seem to be on topic and
> >> I am sure there are people with more experience making inductive
> >> sensors than I have.
> >
> > Or you could make something like my gm_pic2:
> > http://panteltje.com/panteltje/pic/gm_pic2/
> >
> > It uses GPS and writes to SDcard or EEPROM where you were at any time, logs radiation there too
> > There is software to replay the trip on google maps.
> > After all the GPS talk here ..
> > Simple maaz using the space and time between data points will allow you to find speed and distances.
> > A GPS module and a Microchip 18F14k22 + EEPROM is all you need.
> > Oh and a battery...
> > Now been working 24/7 for 8 years... As clock mostly.
> > No tinkering with your bike needed.
> > Also logs trips per bus or train.
> >

> Is the GPS accuracy/latency of the speed measurement close to that of
> a car's speed indicator?

a car speedometer is only required to be -0 to +10%

Re: Spoke sensor for bicycle

<t8altd$uqm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99291&group=sci.electronics.design#99291

From: dp...@tgi-sci.com (Dimiter_Popoff)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 22:01:01 +0300
 by: Dimiter_Popoff - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 19:01 UTC

On 6/14/2022 21:21, whit3rd wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 14, 2022 at 8:51:30 AM UTC-7, Dimiter Popoff wrote:
>> I started cycling again (used to as a kid...) some 4 years ago.
>> And while I know there are plenty of super cheap "bicycle computers"
>> I have been thinking of making my own.
>> ...use a magnet placed somewhere on one
>> of the wheels and some sensor, ... I
>> imagine it sensing just the spokes, i.e. making some inductive sensor.
>
> A magnet secured to a spoke, and a reed switch, makes a durable sensor, but
> is somewhat clumsy. A sensor of the metal spoke is hard, because spokes
> aren't all magnetic, there's stainless steels.

Aaaah, the stainless steel is a game changer of course. Had not thought
of that at all - though I know the spokes are not rusty (some at the end
where they are tightened to the wheel but not all and not much). And it
is not like they have not seen water, 1-2 months ago getting back
after waiting for a torrential rain to subside I was nearly in submarine
mode ...

> Have you considered a reluctance
> sensor on a gear-cluster tooth? There's some DC insensitivity, unlike with Hall
> sensors, but maybe a low-speed signal dropout isn't going to be a bother. >
> A reluctance sensor is a coil of wire between a long weak-ish magnet (you don't want to
> attract metal bits) and a tooth's circular trajectory. Into a high impedance, it generates a
> peak/valley two-lobed pulse at a tooth passage, where the volt-seconds of the peak
> and the volt-seconds of the valley are constants (so voltage goes low when speed is slow).
> A set/reset flipflop makes a good debouncer for that.
>
> You might consider putting a magnet not on a spoke, but inside
> the tire; a button-size rare earth magnet won't show, but a Hall sensor of the non-hysteresis
> type should pick it up easily. I'd put the magnet center-of-tread, and affix the sensor near the bottom bracket.

Putting the magnet underneath the tire is an idea. Of course I might
lose it if I have a flat and repair it on the road (you won't believe
how often I was getting a flat until I got my latest tires, they claim
to have some Kevlar and I had just one flat in a year or two (can't
remember if I got them last year or the year before, almost replacement
due now). But then I have a decent supply of coin magnets, too (say 1mm
thick/10mm diameter)...

The Hall sensors I have "in the drawer" are some with hysteresis though,
they need such a magnet really close (within 1mm if not less) to work,
would need some other kind but that should be the easiest part.
But well, it looks I am not going to start the project any time soon.
And I did download some biking app to the phone, this makes the
project's prospects even more bleak...

Re: Spoke sensor for bicycle

<c3d92276-a82a-44cf-9432-efda902a04aan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99292&group=sci.electronics.design#99292

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 12:04:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 19:04 UTC

On Tuesday, June 14, 2022 at 11:32:03 AM UTC-7, Ricky wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 14, 2022 at 2:21:58 PM UTC-4, whit3rd wrote:

> > ... a reluctance
> > sensor on a gear-cluster tooth? There's some DC insensitivity, unlike with Hall
> > sensors, but maybe a low-speed signal dropout isn't going to be a bother.

> Does it have to be magnetic? A conductor moving in a magnetic field creates a current which also creates a magnetic field which can be detected, no?

A nonmagnetic gear tooth will (in motion) disturb a magnetic field, and make a pulse.
The eddy current response, though, is less than a ferromagnetic material's, and has a time decay
of its own, added to the coil's DC insensitivity.

An IR (modulated? polarized?) source, aimed at a retroreflector on a spoke, has good range and sensitivity, at a cost
of some power usage. Rejecting ambient light and dirt are other issues there.

Re: Spoke sensor for bicycle

<t8an2j$804$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99294&group=sci.electronics.design#99294

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 12:20:41 -0700
 by: Don Y - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 19:20 UTC

On 6/14/2022 8:51 AM, Dimiter_Popoff wrote:
> I started cycling again (used to as a kid...) some 4 years ago.
> And while I know there are plenty of super cheap "bicycle computers"
> I have been thinking of making my own.

As the COTS units are "super cheap", one has to assume you want
to do something MORE -- or differently...

> Thus so far 4 years no speed/mileage indicator for me, obviously.
> While this may likely remain the case forever I am still thinking
> about it - not the obvious things like the MCU, display etc., just
> the rotation sensor. They all use a magnet placed somewhere on one
> of the wheels and some sensor, I have used a Hall sensor for
> pretty precise positioning of the rotor of our TLD reader etc.,
> but I only still keep on thinking of making the thing because I
> imagine it sensing just the spokes, i.e. making some inductive sensor.

You need to consider your goal. If you simply want to know your
"physical displacement" on the globe, then periodic fixes from a GPS
(with straightline interpolation of route traveled) is a crude
approximation. Advantage: you likely are already carrying a cell
phone that could give you that data. Disadvantage: GPS accuracy
varies (from moment to moment) as does reception. Likely won't
tell you you're moving at all if your pedaling in a tight circle!

A variable reluctance sensor noting the passing of one or more
"slugs" on the wheel gives you an idea of rotation -- if you
aren't concerned with direction of rotation (software to filter out
"jitter" if you're stopped and rocking forwards and backwards on
a "sense point"). A magnet and reed switch can do comparable.

Optical ON THE WHEEL is likely not practical due to weather
conditions.

All of these have issues with proximity of sensor -- an out of
true wheel (wobble) could complicate things.

Personally, if I saw some added value to rolling my own, I'd
opt for a "vintage" speedometer's pickup:

<https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/JkMAAOSws21iGSc9/s-l1600.jpg>

transferring motion through a "cable-in-cable" to a "head
unit" that has been gutted. Mount a toothed gear on the end
of the cable shaft *in* the head unit and sense rotation optically
or variable reluctance. Quadrature detector if you want to
be able to note direction of movement for FINE sensitivity.

Electronics mounted on a little board that also supports the
inductive/optical sensors -- display, controls, etc.

This lets you move the electronics (and display) away
from the wheel -- which is likely kicking up mud, water, etc.

> I know what I will try out etc., I may even get to designing one before
> the millennium is over but well, these thoughts seem to be on topic and
> I am sure there are people with more experience making inductive
> sensors than I have.

Re: Spoke sensor for bicycle

<35822288-58be-40a0-ae48-fb2d5a7e8d73n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99297&group=sci.electronics.design#99297

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 12:39:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: langw...@fonz.dk (Lasse Langwadt Christensen)
 by: Lasse Langwadt Chris - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 19:39 UTC

tirsdag den 14. juni 2022 kl. 21.21.00 UTC+2 skrev Don Y:
> On 6/14/2022 8:51 AM, Dimiter_Popoff wrote:
> > I started cycling again (used to as a kid...) some 4 years ago.
> > And while I know there are plenty of super cheap "bicycle computers"
> > I have been thinking of making my own.
> As the COTS units are "super cheap", one has to assume you want
> to do something MORE -- or differently...
> > Thus so far 4 years no speed/mileage indicator for me, obviously.
> > While this may likely remain the case forever I am still thinking
> > about it - not the obvious things like the MCU, display etc., just
> > the rotation sensor. They all use a magnet placed somewhere on one
> > of the wheels and some sensor, I have used a Hall sensor for
> > pretty precise positioning of the rotor of our TLD reader etc.,
> > but I only still keep on thinking of making the thing because I
> > imagine it sensing just the spokes, i.e. making some inductive sensor.
> You need to consider your goal. If you simply want to know your
> "physical displacement" on the globe, then periodic fixes from a GPS
> (with straightline interpolation of route traveled) is a crude
> approximation. Advantage: you likely are already carrying a cell
> phone that could give you that data. Disadvantage: GPS accuracy
> varies (from moment to moment) as does reception. Likely won't
> tell you you're moving at all if your pedaling in a tight circle!
>
> A variable reluctance sensor noting the passing of one or more
> "slugs" on the wheel gives you an idea of rotation -- if you
> aren't concerned with direction of rotation (software to filter out
> "jitter" if you're stopped and rocking forwards and backwards on
> a "sense point"). A magnet and reed switch can do comparable.
>
> Optical ON THE WHEEL is likely not practical due to weather
> conditions.
>
> All of these have issues with proximity of sensor -- an out of
> true wheel (wobble) could complicate things.
>
> Personally, if I saw some added value to rolling my own, I'd
> opt for a "vintage" speedometer's pickup:
>
> <https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/JkMAAOSws21iGSc9/s-l1600.jpg>
>
> transferring motion through a "cable-in-cable" to a "head
> unit" that has been gutted. Mount a toothed gear on the end
> of the cable shaft *in* the head unit and sense rotation optically
> or variable reluctance. Quadrature detector if you want to
> be able to note direction of movement for FINE sensitivity.

how would that make any sense compared to the simple and ultra reliable reed and magnet?

Rube Goldberg would be proud

Re: Spoke sensor for bicycle

<t8apms$s2j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99298&group=sci.electronics.design#99298

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 13:05:40 -0700
 by: Don Y - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 20:05 UTC

On 6/14/2022 12:39 PM, Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote:
> tirsdag den 14. juni 2022 kl. 21.21.00 UTC+2 skrev Don Y:
>> On 6/14/2022 8:51 AM, Dimiter_Popoff wrote:
>>> I started cycling again (used to as a kid...) some 4 years ago.
>>> And while I know there are plenty of super cheap "bicycle computers"
>>> I have been thinking of making my own.
>> As the COTS units are "super cheap", one has to assume you want
>> to do something MORE -- or differently...
>>> Thus so far 4 years no speed/mileage indicator for me, obviously.
>>> While this may likely remain the case forever I am still thinking
>>> about it - not the obvious things like the MCU, display etc., just
>>> the rotation sensor. They all use a magnet placed somewhere on one
>>> of the wheels and some sensor, I have used a Hall sensor for
>>> pretty precise positioning of the rotor of our TLD reader etc.,
>>> but I only still keep on thinking of making the thing because I
>>> imagine it sensing just the spokes, i.e. making some inductive sensor.
>> You need to consider your goal. If you simply want to know your
>> "physical displacement" on the globe, then periodic fixes from a GPS
>> (with straightline interpolation of route traveled) is a crude
>> approximation. Advantage: you likely are already carrying a cell
>> phone that could give you that data. Disadvantage: GPS accuracy
>> varies (from moment to moment) as does reception. Likely won't
>> tell you you're moving at all if your pedaling in a tight circle!
>>
>> A variable reluctance sensor noting the passing of one or more
>> "slugs" on the wheel gives you an idea of rotation -- if you
>> aren't concerned with direction of rotation (software to filter out
>> "jitter" if you're stopped and rocking forwards and backwards on
>> a "sense point"). A magnet and reed switch can do comparable.
>>
>> Optical ON THE WHEEL is likely not practical due to weather
>> conditions.
>>
>> All of these have issues with proximity of sensor -- an out of
>> true wheel (wobble) could complicate things.
>>
>> Personally, if I saw some added value to rolling my own, I'd
>> opt for a "vintage" speedometer's pickup:
>>
>> <https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/JkMAAOSws21iGSc9/s-l1600.jpg>
>>
>> transferring motion through a "cable-in-cable" to a "head
>> unit" that has been gutted. Mount a toothed gear on the end
>> of the cable shaft *in* the head unit and sense rotation optically
>> or variable reluctance. Quadrature detector if you want to
>> be able to note direction of movement for FINE sensitivity.
>
> how would that make any sense compared to the simple and ultra reliable reed and magnet?

"As the COTS units are "super cheap", one has to assume you want
to do something MORE -- or differently..."

He can *buy* the "ultrareliable reed switch and magnet". Presumably,
that doesn't meet his needs. It doesn't, for example, register correctly
if the magnet happens to be CLOSE (rotationally) to the switch and
you are stopped -- chatting with someone -- while rocking forwards and
backwards with the bicycle. (it has no sense of direction)

It doesn't register variations in speed within a single revolution
(e.g., cranking up hill) or the instantaneous WHEEL acceleration from
the rider's efforts.

It also requires the wheel to be true (no wobble) to ensure the distance
from magnet to switch is sufficient to reliably engage -- while not getting
*whacked* by some other portion of the wheel as it passes that isn't
true.

The magnet can be dislodged, sensor alignment botched, etc. If
you swap out the wheel, you have to remount a new magnet on the
replacement wheel, ensure proper alignment, etc.

And, you're still going to have to run a (electrical) cable up
to some sort of display/control unit. And, protect that input
to the electronics (i.e., you wouldn't want to directly expose a
pin to that external signal) lest the device die with the first
bit of ESD.

Instead, bring the motion (ALL of it) up to that unit and let *it* decide
what criteria are appropriate to measure. Instead of cable-in-cable plugging
into the back of a legacy "speedometer" (indicator), let it drive a slotted
wheel/gear mounted on a board already aligned with the sensors (which need
not worry about the same environmental issues that sensing ON the wheel
imposes) and UNBUFFERED inputs to whatever processing/display/control logic.

> Rube Goldberg would be proud

Most of his designs worked!

Re: Spoke sensor for bicycle

<t8arej$8ve$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99301&group=sci.electronics.design#99301

From: amd...@knology.net (amdx)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 15:35:30 -0500
 by: amdx - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 20:35 UTC

On 6/14/2022 12:35 PM, Dimiter_Popoff wrote:
> On 6/14/2022 20:25, Ricky wrote:

>>> This might be blasphemy, but...
>>>
>>> Speed and mileage indication is easily done with a smartphone these
>>> days,
>>> at least here in America.
>>
>> People often talk about cell phones as if they had universal
>> coverage.  That is true for 99.9% of where people spend their time.
>> But that 0.1% of the time, like biking in the woods, you are out of
>> cell phone range.  So any solution needs to not depend on a cell
>> phone connection.  If you can use the GPS in your phone without a
>> cell connection, great!  But I haven't found such a program as yet.
>> Maybe I just haven't dug deep enough.
>>

> Oh where I bike there is coverage allright, and I think I had seen
> references to some apps for biking. Looks like the only thing making
> me think of that "project" I am unlikely to ever even start is the
> sensor design.... (I am vague because I am not so sure myself why I
> keep thinking of this every now and then for 4 years and still have
> nothing in use when I bike :).
Google tracks me all over, it knows if I drive, bike or walk. I'm not
sure the times that has come in handy is worth being tracked.
But at least if a bank is robbed my phone should be able to prove it
didn't do it.

Re: Spoke sensor for bicycle

<t8arhl$35r$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99303&group=sci.electronics.design#99303

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 20:37:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 20:37 UTC

Okay then, just clip a playing card to the fork.

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Spoke sensor for bicycle