All your files have been destroyed (sorry). Paul.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Build it and they will come and get smashed

SubjectAuthor
* Build it and they will come and get smashedFrank Krygowski
`* Re: Build it and they will come and get smashedRoger Merriman
 +* Re: Build it and they will come and get smashedFrank Krygowski
 |`* Re: Build it and they will come and get smashedRoger Merriman
 | `* Re: Build it and they will come and get smashedFrank Krygowski
 |  `* Re: Build it and they will come and get smashedRoger Merriman
 |   `* Re: Build it and they will come and get smashedFrank Krygowski
 |    `* Re: Build it and they will come and get smashedRoger Merriman
 |     `* Re: Build it and they will come and get smashedFrank Krygowski
 |      `- Re: Build it and they will come and get smashedRoger Merriman
 `* Re: Build it and they will come and get smashedTom Kunich
  `* Re: Build it and they will come and get smashedFrank Krygowski
   `* Re: Build it and they will come and get smashedRoger Merriman
    +- Re: Build it and they will come and get smashedFrank Krygowski
    `* Re: Build it and they will come and get smashedTom Kunich
     +- Re: Build it and they will come and get smashedZen Cycle
     +* Re: Build it and they will come and get smashedFrank Krygowski
     |`* Re: Build it and they will come and get smashedRoger Merriman
     | `* Re: Build it and they will come and get smashedAMuzi
     |  `* Re: Build it and they will come and get smashedRoger Merriman
     |   `* Re: Build it and they will come and get smashedWolfgang Strobl
     |    +- Re: Build it and they will come and get smashedRoger Merriman
     |    `- Re: Build it and they will come and get smashedTom Kunich
     `* Re: Build it and they will come and get smashedRoger Merriman
      `* Re: Build it and they will come and get smashedTom Kunich
       `* Re: Build it and they will come and get smashedRoger Merriman
        `* Re: Build it and they will come and get smashedAMuzi
         +* Re: Build it and they will come and get smashedTom Kunich
         |`* Re: Build it and they will come and get smashedRoger Merriman
         | `* Re: Build it and they will come and get smashedTom Kunich
         |  `- Re: Build it and they will come and get smashedRoger Merriman
         `- Re: Build it and they will come and get smashedRoger Merriman

Pages:12
Re: Build it and they will come and get smashed

<472a6d15-350c-4009-97e2-7973c1612632n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99638&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99638

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 14:32:42 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Build it and they will come and get smashed
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 22:32 UTC

On Saturday, January 20, 2024 at 8:50:26 AM UTC-8, Wolfgang Strobl wrote:
> Am Sat, 20 Jan 2024 00:11:16 GMT schrieb Roger Merriman
> <ro...@sarlet.com>:
>
> [...]
> >> Less snow, same cyclist gripes:
> >>
> >> https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/londons-cycle-lanes-left-neglected-as-snow-continues-to-fall
> >
> >That’s from 2018 which might be last time it snowed in london? London has
> >only a handful of snowblowers/plows about 1 per borough, so very few
> >roads/pavements/cycleways get cleared it’s unusual for it to snow and
> >settle in london so it’s not set up for it.
> Excuses, excuses. Why is it so difficult to admit that cycle lanes and
> paths are simply the inferior part of roads, everywhere and all the year
> round? They are built inferiorly and then neglected.
>
> Here is a collage from today. It had snowed the whole day long,
> yesterday, and over the night. So everybody and their children where
> outside. Wo got for a walk up an hill nearby, too. I mostly took
> pictures of the nice landscape and view
>
> <https://www.mystrobl.de/ws/pic/20240120/winter.jpg>,
>
> but I also took the opportunity to take a few photos of cycle paths in
> the city, when getting back. These aren't particularly cherry-picked
> examples, but rather the better ones.
>
> <https://www.mystrobl.de/ws/pic/2024-01-20_bonn_germany.jpg>
>
> Bonn has a lot of equipment to clear the roads of dirt and snow, they
> have a lot of salt too - and boy do they use it! :-(
>

> --
> Bicycle helmets are the Bach flower remedies of traffic
Just a couple of points. bicycle paths are everything you say, but bicycle lanes are part of the road and if the roads are ever improved (in California they're not even repaired) then the bicycle lane is as well.

I don't believe one person really believes that a helm,et would safe your life from a car collision. But they can reduce head injuries from falling off.

Re: Build it and they will come and get smashed

<uojbom$7cri$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99654&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99654

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 09:03:50 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 15:03 UTC

On 1/20/2024 3:12 PM, Roger Merriman wrote:
> Tom Kunich <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Seriously you live in California which at the closest area to cull canyon
>>> temperatures in the high to low teens where as Youngstown being rather more
>>> north and I believe the Great Lakes do weather stuff, is -8/9 or so and
>>> light snow predicted and Frank has said there is snow settled.
>>>
>>> Even London is colder than California let alone tomorrow into the Surrey
>>> hills (Gravel ride) which is predicted to be just above freezing all day,
>>> had been -3/4 or so last few days at night.
>>>
>>> Roger Merriman
>>
>> Rodger, in general you are correct that the further north latitude the
>> colder it is on the average. But that certainly depends on weather
>> patterns and last year or the year before it was well below 0 C here for
>> most of the mornings weeks at a time. I think that I related slipping in
>> glare ice and sliding all the way to the side of the road before catching
>> traction again at NOON. And while London is far north at 51 degrees north
>> latitude it is heated by the Gulf Stream whereas we at 37 degrees
>> latitude are cooled by arctic currents.
>>
> Unless the weather reports are way out, and by reputation California is
> significantly warmer than London let alone into the Surrey Hills and London
> yes is kept warm by the Gulf Stream and being a smaller land mass it’s same
> latitude as Moscow.
>
> You live in a warmer drier climate by some degree for both.
>
> I’d assume all here bar perhaps CatTrike have colder winters.
>
> Roger Merriman

+1
London's latitude is about the same as Lake Winnipeg and
since I was listening to Radio Canada this morning I can
safely say Manitoba is much colder now (-20C) and IME
usually. With plenty of snow for extended periods. Average
weather is affected by many things besides latitude!
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org

Re: Build it and they will come and get smashed

<fc4c6156-ad65-4412-ae0a-c1fca28afcb3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99664&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99664

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 09:02:41 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 17:02 UTC

On Sunday, January 21, 2024 at 7:03:54 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
> On 1/20/2024 3:12 PM, Roger Merriman wrote:
> > Tom Kunich <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Rodger, in general you are correct that the further north latitude the
> >> colder it is on the average. But that certainly depends on weather
> >> patterns and last year or the year before it was well below 0 C here for
> >> most of the mornings weeks at a time. I think that I related slipping in
> >> glare ice and sliding all the way to the side of the road before catching
> >> traction again at NOON. And while London is far north at 51 degrees north
> >> latitude it is heated by the Gulf Stream whereas we at 37 degrees
> >> latitude are cooled by arctic currents.
> >>
> > Unless the weather reports are way out, and by reputation California is
> > significantly warmer than London let alone into the Surrey Hills and London
> > yes is kept warm by the Gulf Stream and being a smaller land mass it’s same
> > latitude as Moscow.
> >
> > You live in a warmer drier climate by some degree for both.
> >
> > I’d assume all here bar perhaps CatTrike have colder winters.
> >
> > Roger Merriman
> >
> +1
> London's latitude is about the same as Lake Winnipeg and
> since I was listening to Radio Canada this morning I can
> safely say Manitoba is much colder now (-20C) and IME
> usually. With plenty of snow for extended periods. Average
> weather is affected by many things besides latitude!
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> a...@yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I can't even begin to understand Roger's position when we have long term records of the weather in London and every major city in the USA. And it shows on the whole that London has better weather than most of the northern US.

Re: Build it and they will come and get smashed

<nBcrN.387993$05d8.27279@fx06.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99667&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99667

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
<fc4c6156-ad65-4412-ae0a-c1fca28afcb3n@googlegroups.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 17:35:15 GMT
 by: Roger Merriman - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 17:35 UTC

Tom Kunich <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, January 21, 2024 at 7:03:54 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:

>>> Unless the weather reports are way out, and by reputation California is
>>> significantly warmer than London let alone into the Surrey Hills and London
>>> yes is kept warm by the Gulf Stream and being a smaller land mass it’s same
>>> latitude as Moscow.
>>>
>>> You live in a warmer drier climate by some degree for both.
>>>
>>> I’d assume all here bar perhaps CatTrike have colder winters.
>>>
>>> Roger Merriman
>>>
>> +1
>> London's latitude is about the same as Lake Winnipeg and
>> since I was listening to Radio Canada this morning I can
>> safely say Manitoba is much colder now (-20C) and IME
>> usually. With plenty of snow for extended periods. Average
>> weather is affected by many things besides latitude!
>> --
>> Andrew Muzi
>> a...@yellowjersey.org
>> Open every day since 1 April, 1971
>
> I can't even begin to understand Roger's position when we have long term
> records of the weather in London and every major city in the USA. And it
> shows on the whole that London has better weather than most of the northern US.

Then you need to reread what I’ve posted, yes many American cities have
harsh winters, but where you are in California isn’t one of them, and is
costal anyway which tends to moderate extreme temperatures in both
directions.

Roger Merriman

Re: Build it and they will come and get smashed

<CScrN.388178$05d8.206827@fx06.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99673&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99673

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 17:53:38 GMT
 by: Roger Merriman - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 17:53 UTC

AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
> On 1/20/2024 3:12 PM, Roger Merriman wrote:
>> Tom Kunich <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Rodger, in general you are correct that the further north latitude the
>>> colder it is on the average. But that certainly depends on weather
>>> patterns and last year or the year before it was well below 0 C here for
>>> most of the mornings weeks at a time. I think that I related slipping in
>>> glare ice and sliding all the way to the side of the road before catching
>>> traction again at NOON. And while London is far north at 51 degrees north
>>> latitude it is heated by the Gulf Stream whereas we at 37 degrees
>>> latitude are cooled by arctic currents.
>>>
>> Unless the weather reports are way out, and by reputation California is
>> significantly warmer than London let alone into the Surrey Hills and London
>> yes is kept warm by the Gulf Stream and being a smaller land mass it’s same
>> latitude as Moscow.
>>
>> You live in a warmer drier climate by some degree for both.
>>
>> I’d assume all here bar perhaps CatTrike have colder winters.
>>
>> Roger Merriman
>>

> +1
> London's latitude is about the same as Lake Winnipeg and
> since I was listening to Radio Canada this morning I can
> safely say Manitoba is much colder now (-20C) and IME
> usually. With plenty of snow for extended periods. Average
> weather is affected by many things besides latitude!

I’m from the Brecon Beacons ie Welsh hills which in winter can vary hugely
over very short distances due to the hills and the micro climate and so on.

Ie can drive/cycle down to the local market town though snowy lanes and low
clouds to find the town having a nice warm sunny snow free day! Though
occasionally get the reverse in that the river holds low clouds, which you
can climb out of into the sun and so on.

Roger Merriman

Re: Build it and they will come and get smashed

<c093a5e7-15fe-412d-996a-62276c3ad86dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99703&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99703

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 09:12:40 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 17:12 UTC

On Sunday, January 21, 2024 at 9:35:19 AM UTC-8, Roger Merriman wrote:
> Tom Kunich <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> +1
> >> London's latitude is about the same as Lake Winnipeg and
> >> since I was listening to Radio Canada this morning I can
> >> safely say Manitoba is much colder now (-20C) and IME
> >> usually. With plenty of snow for extended periods. Average
> >> weather is affected by many things besides latitude!
> >> --
> >> Andrew Muzi
> >> a...@yellowjersey.org
> >> Open every day since 1 April, 1971
> >
> > I can't even begin to understand Roger's position when we have long term
> > records of the weather in London and every major city in the USA. And it
> > shows on the whole that London has better weather than most of the northern US.
> >
> Then you need to reread what I’ve posted, yes many American cities have
> harsh winters, but where you are in California isn’t one of them, and is
> costal anyway which tends to moderate extreme temperatures in both
> directions.
>
> Roger Merriman
I said that there are winters here in which weeks at a time the weather can be a great deal more harsh than the London average. And that is completely true.

Re: Build it and they will come and get smashed

<37BrN.2052372$ee1.1824714@fx16.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99713&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99713

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 21:29:35 GMT
 by: Roger Merriman - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 21:29 UTC

Click here to read the complete article