From: chris.m....@gmail.com (Chris M. Thomasson)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Subject: Re: Add an infinitesimal to .999 repeating
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 12:59:03 -0700
 by: Chris M. Thomasson - Thu, 26 May 2022 19:59 UTC

On 5/26/2022 8:54 AM, Ross A. Finlayson wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 24, 2022 at 10:26:01 PM UTC-7, zelos...@gmail.com wrote:
>> tisdag 24 maj 2022 kl. 18:02:15 UTC+2 skrev Ross A. Finlayson:

>>> There are at least three models of reals, different sets,
>>> and one of them is infinitesimals ("iota-values") zero to one.
>>>
>>> And, in their own way, the line reals are "Regular" and "Standard":
>>> for example standardly modelling the Equivalency Function as a limit
>>> of real functions.
>>>
>>> So, mathematics writ large is missing out from that the
>>> properties of "real" infinites/infinitesimals: are direct and
>>> consequent from the properties of the objects the numbers
>>> their values themselves.
>>>
>>> If we can agree that "retro-finitism": is backward, then I hope
>>> that you can see that ignoring these features, is also.
>>>
>>> I.e. for theories where these things exist, consistently of
>>> course, not knowing them or ignoring them: is as bad as
>>> retro-finitism.
>>>
>>> Which points all sorts arguments/rhetoric strongly back around - ....
>> reals are by definition archimedian. There are no infinitesimals. If there are, they are not the real numbers.
>
> For foundations, we mostly look to "derive" instead of, "define", things.
>
> There isn't anywhere on the line for infinitesimals to be
> that aren't already real numbers: that of course this
> usual simple f(n) = n/d, n->d, d->oo, defines the extent,
> bounds, density, LUB, and various measures (sigma algebras,
> after length assignment), that result a model of reals
> from what isn't not "infinitesimals".
>
> That fundamental theorems of calculus arrive from those
> properties same for "field reals" and these "line reals", ...,
> of course a formalist would demand. (If they are each
> models, "sets of all reals", in an organization of set theory.)
>
> Really mostly about the continuous and discrete:
> each from the other.

How small does a real number have to get in order for it to become
"infinitesimal"? Or is that just a stupid question to begin with?

I know this gets infinitesimal:

[n] = .1^n

And it's infinite set is comprised of real numbers. And yes, they can be
plotted on a line.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Add an infinitesimal to .999 repeating

By: mitchr...@gmail.com on Thu, 19 May 2022

118mitchr...@gmail.com