Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Fri, 27 May 2022 09:11:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Add an infinitesimal to .999 repeating
From: ross.fin...@gmail.com (Ross A. Finlayson)
 by: Ross A. Finlayson - Fri, 27 May 2022 16:11 UTC

On Thursday, May 26, 2022 at 12:59:14 PM UTC-7, Chris M. Thomasson wrote:
> On 5/26/2022 8:54 AM, Ross A. Finlayson wrote:

> >> reals are by definition archimedian. There are no infinitesimals. If there are, they are not the real numbers.
> >
> > For foundations, we mostly look to "derive" instead of, "define", things.
> >
> > There isn't anywhere on the line for infinitesimals to be
> > that aren't already real numbers: that of course this
> > usual simple f(n) = n/d, n->d, d->oo, defines the extent,
> > bounds, density, LUB, and various measures (sigma algebras,
> > after length assignment), that result a model of reals
> > from what isn't not "infinitesimals".
> >
> > That fundamental theorems of calculus arrive from those
> > properties same for "field reals" and these "line reals", ...,
> > of course a formalist would demand. (If they are each
> > models, "sets of all reals", in an organization of set theory.)
> >
> > Really mostly about the continuous and discrete:
> > each from the other.
> >
> How small does a real number have to get in order for it to become
> "infinitesimal"? Or is that just a stupid question to begin with?
>
> I know this gets infinitesimal:
>
> [n] = .1^n
>
> And it's infinite set is comprised of real numbers. And yes, they can be
> plotted on a line.

An infinitesimal is what is smaller than 1/x for any positive, finite x.

Clearly, it's not 1/x for positive, finite x, because, 1/2x is 1/2 it, smaller.

So, the usual only infinitesimal is "zero", but actually, the very notion
of infinitesimal is "non-zero, smaller than the smallest increment,
is the smallest increment".

I.e. "smaller-than-itself" is about the nilpotent and nilsquare infinitesimals.
There are infinitesimals with properties as the nilpotent and nilsquare, just
like (or at least in metaphor) that there are infinites with properties as of
having various arthimetics, like (infinite) cardinals and ordinals.

Here the idea is that each 1/d has that {1+1+... d-many 1's} / d = 1.
As d goes to infinity, the idea is that the sum of the differences
that each make by dividing, what make these infinitesimals or
"iota-values", is always 1, and also that it's actually a sum or defined
on these iota-values pretty much exactly as if they were integers.

Of course pretty much everywhere when there's instructed calculus,
real analysis or calculus where of course there are any number of "calculi",
it's explained before Riemann sums that "these are not sums, and we have
a language of limit and the infinite limit so that infinite summability doesn't
possibly become non-sensible or non-sensical", not because "these sums
are not sums".

Then I suppose most people have infinitesimal as "width of a point".

Or, here, "side of a point that is in a line", or "sides of a point that is
on a line" - basically that an infinite is regular in [0,1], dense and, you know,
self-similar in all dimensions as it were: then those are infinitesimals,
besides something like iota-values with "iota-sums" and "iota-multiples",
about the nilpotent and nilsquare and so on, that these are infinitesimals
equipped in their space with arithmetic. (Iota-values.)

I heard of smooth infinitesimals before I heard of uncountable cardinals.

There are these iota-values between zero and one.

The differential and its notation "d": is most fundamental,
the derivative, what of course is the usual expression of a
real-valued variable like time, or length, dx/dy and the nilpotent
and nilsquare, differential, mostly reflect that "d" is read as
"an infinitesimal segment of".

Which of course is same as length assignment and iota-values.

Ahem.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Add an infinitesimal to .999 repeating

By: mitchr...@gmail.com on Thu, 19 May 2022

118mitchr...@gmail.com