From: new...@mystrobl.de (Wolfgang Strobl)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: e-bikes are low powered motorcycles, not bicycles
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 21:32:58 +0200
References: <TwgTN.503153$gq2.361163@fx02.ams4> <prhs1j9b7l5a3psqakuca8qteq0i16vrqr@4ax.com> <XoATN.19566734$ee1.1158131@fx16.ams4> <g9qu1j9j7b1t87d2he88j5hmbkro8phr10@4ax.com> <bfXTN.1250207$Rq2.1062355@fx15.ams4> <5vm12jla34bk4obe3sbm4skadbba2nqem4@4ax.com> <KVfUN.498245$Gp2.102438@fx04.ams4> <hem92jl82o8mnaimgfaj8pu0qiqmv1bjjc@4ax.com> <v035mr$aolm$4@dont-email.me> <v03abj$bnbi$3@dont-email.me>
 by: Wolfgang Strobl - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 19:32 UTC

Am Sun, 21 Apr 2024 11:11:47 -0400 schrieb Frank Krygowski
<frkrygow@sbcglobal.net>:

> [...]
>>> ground, even 12 % with 22 km/h is doable, needing 175 W human power plus
>>> 600 W from the motor.
>>>
>>> Are you able to ride longer 12 % grade uphill with a speed of 22 km/h? I
>>> guess not.
>>>
>>> Of course, your average utility or leisure cyclist couldn't and wouldn't
>>> do that, either, not even when switching to an e-bike. He or she would
>>> do what I'd do (and actually tried as an experiment, as you perhaps
>>> remember from my previous answer to your question), I'd reduce the
>>> 120-130 W I'd need for riding 4-5 km/h uphill to those 90 W I can
>>> sustain for hours, let the motor add 340% ~ 306 W, doing an easily
>>> ridden 12 km/h there.
>>>
>>> But that's me. From looking at what people do who _are_ into ebikes I
>>> conclude that people are even more lazy, when given the choice they paid
>>> real money for. They reduce their speed to what they can do without
>>> having to learn to ride really slow, they slow down to about 8 km/h, now
>>> needing about 230 W only for those 12 %, spending  50-60 W human power
>>> plus 170-180 W from the motor.
>>>
>>> Just what they spend when going for a walk, even under extreme
>>> circumstances.
>>>
>>> Usually, e-bikes do what people usually do with motor vehicles, their
>>> cruising speed is limited mostly by regulations, not by the limits of
>>> their own endurance, muscle strength or cardio fitness. Motorists use
>>> all the power their motor and external energy source delivers, within
>>> the regulatory limits.
>>>
>>> Cylists, are lazy too, even more so, because they have to. Ten colories
>>> spent on needlessly accelerating and then braking are ten calories lost
>>> and not available when the gained speed could have been used for just
>>> rooling with speed for a while.
>>>
>>> Riding at your limit without overdoing is, getting strength and
>>> endurance is an art.  But even without all that sport science training
>>> methods, just _using_ your own power when all you have is that power,
>>> for getting around on a bicycle far and fast enough will get you more
>>> strength and endurance, on the long run.  This makes cycling more
>>> usefull and more enjoyable, at the same time.
>>>
>>> Adding a strong motor to a bicycle, as it is done with e-bikes limited
>>> to 25 km/h, eliminates most of that.  Arguing "but this still is
>>> cycling!!" is like selling electric wheelchairs to healthy people and
>>> pointing to the Paralympics to justify it.
>>>

>> "looking at what people do who _are_ into ebikes I conclude that people
>> are even more lazy..."
>>
>> That's what I see as well.  Your post is well considered as an observer
>> of the actual situation now.
>
>Coincidentally, yesterday's the New York Times had an article about a
>young mother whose infant daughter died. The grief was overwhelming, of
>course. Her major point was that she coped largely through riding an
>eBike. Apparently her local terrain and conditioning or experience made
>a conventional bike too difficult for her.

I think it is a bit more complicated. You have to look at the sitution
as the result of a process, not as a momentary, isolated decision.

Before the advent of ebikes, people started cycling as a child, some
early, some a little bit later. Our two boys started cycling even before
elementary school. Some five year olds can do 50 km and enjoy it,
<https://www.mystrobl.de/Plone/radfahren/fahrten/urlaub/emsland1992.jpeg>
most children should be able to do that two year years later, if they
get the chance to learn it. The fascinating feature of cycling is that,
just like with walking and running, skills, the ability to assess and
handle their own strength comes with and by practice and intensity,
taking motivation and time. Skills, both mental and physical ones, grow
while and _because_ a child uses and trains his or her muscles, while
riding more often, faster, longer distances and while handling more
difficult situations needing and using more strength.

Giving a child an ebike, because handling a bicycle is too difficult for
her is like giving her a loaded firearm, because running away or asking
somebody for help is too difficult.

People are able to learn using a motorcycle or a car, without having
used a bicycle, ever. But even if you take into account the trend of
letting young people drive at an earlier and earlier age, we have so far
refrained from letting preschool children drive a car or a motorcycle.

Sensible people know that you can put children on bikes from a very
early age and why you should do this. The belief that a necessarily
long learning and strengh building phase can be cut out by starting with
an ebike on only deprives them of the chance of ever learning to ride a
bike properly. This is most obvious when considering children, but it
applies to adults, too.

>I take that to mean there are special cases out there, as always. (Tails
>of the normal curve.) And eBike riders can be enjoying the outdoors and
>nature.

People can also do this by driving a convertible with open top. Now even
electrically and with a little less noise and no smell. :-) Just don't
call this "cycling". It isn't.

>But I agree, most eBike riders seem to want to avoid actual
>exercise.

The person who quite early coined the term Pedelec for 25 km/h e-bikes
in the German-speaking world was a linguistics student who presented it
as a marketing term in her master thesis and explicitly linked it to the
message "cycling without effort".

Besides that, using a bicycle for utility purposes and getting around,
for example for commuting implies some excercise, whether you like it or
not, it's hard to avoid. On the other hand, using an 25 km/h ebike for
exercise that way is rather difficult. Most people live in urbanized
regions, regular utility trips are rather short and most often on flat
ground. Riding up to 25 km/h needs almost no effort with motor support,
but riding faster than 25 km/h has to be done without any motor support.
So what is it: exercising by carring a dead weight of about 6-8 kg while
riding fast, or not exercising at all by riding slow? Simply
transporting 7 kg of pebbles in the panniers would be easier and serve
the same purpose a lot cheaper. :-)

--
Wir danken für die Beachtung aller Sicherheitsbestimmungen

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o uk 500 watt bikes proposed

By: Roger Merriman on Mon, 15 Apr 2024

69Roger Merriman