From: joegw...@comcast.net (Joe Gwinn)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Here???s What They Don???t Tell You About Tesla???s Reliability
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 16:32:35 -0500
References: <fddbe4d4-dc33-4010-a3e1-b75f3e621597n@googlegroups.com> <dshephppf8sm99ssrqu5v4ls7dtqe3380s@4ax.com> <tn7je4$1khi$1@gioia.aioe.org> <vqleph5tnotv56phqsecinucl622jct30m@4ax.com> <tn9f3q$pp$1@gioia.aioe.org> <0o7hphpgmp357c83lgs0objrm8aeji1p3e@4ax.com> <5cehpht7kcvnppl148c004ublo1220vv8k@4ax.com> <tnahcu$2iqrb$1@dont-email.me> <lo3iphpdokdvto55cqpeq2j3k8elmhijq4@4ax.com> <tnb4qv$2k6h5$1@dont-email.me> <o2rjphl30di2us35oanm1go2er19iasnk9@4ax.com> <tnd2k0$2rcul$2@dont-email.me>
 by: Joe Gwinn - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 21:32 UTC

On Wed, 14 Dec 2022 10:54:02 -0700, Don Y
<blockedofcourse@foo.invalid> wrote:

>>> That's true of other fields, as well. You can't stop an
>>> operation because some bit of kit shit the bed. And, many
>>> product lines consider the cost of down time to be next
>>> to astronomical (though no one *dies* as a consequence).

>>> My point was the relative costs of adding it in *software* vs. a
>>> *hardware* implementation ("recognizer").
>>
>> What is ever increasing is the complexity of what is to be done. How
>
>Exactly. The easy stuff has already been done.
>
>> this complexity is parceled out to software, firmware, and hardware
>> changes with the interplay between various evolving technologies. But
>> the overall complexity never decreases.
>
>Complexity increases largely because expectations of what *can*
>be done are ever increasing.

Definitely. One is driven by one's competitors.

>Garage doors used to be manually raised/lowered.
>Then, along came *openers* (why have they not been called "closers"?)
>Then, *remotes* so you could actuate from your vehicle (approaching/leaving).
>Then, load sensing so it could stop/reverse when encountering an obstacle.
>Then, "electric eyes" to inhibit closure when the path is blocked.
>
>I, now, use *cameras* to check the entirety of the door's path.
>An "electric eye" might detect something directly in it's "beam"
>and completely miss something that *straddles* it or rises above
>(like a kid's wagon or the front/rear end of your vehicle).
>And, there is no protection against the door *rising*! Imagine
>being on a ladder accessing an attic-space above the door and
>having someone (approaching on the street) actuating the door;
>it rises into the erected ladder!
>
>And, what if the obstacles are in the path of the *vehicle* but
>not the door, itself? Is the driver (or obstacles) alerted/protected
>in those cases?
>
>A decade ago, backup cameras, blindspot monitors, etc. were all
>"exotic" options for vehicles. Now, they're a matter of course.

Yep.

> [...]
>
>Instead, you rely on personal experience to make those decisions.
>
>[At the LORAN company, one salesperson made a big deal out of
>*needing* a specific feature in a product. Engineering eventually
>conceded to his requests. He *never* sold a unit with that
>feature. And, thereafter, was ignored in all product design
>meetings.]
>
>>> This is the bane of software-based products; they are seen as so
>>> easy to change that folks don't exhibit the same sort of discipline
>>> in coming up with wishlists that they would with a hardware design.
>>
>> Well, the issue is not "people" in general, its the leadership folk
>> who decide when to stop the fiddling and tweaking. Your average
>> engineer is not in charge of this.
>
>Right. But, many folks in decision making positions aren't
>capable of understanding the technical *or* marketing issues
>at stake. They have to rely on others with those abilities.
>*THEIR* role is to understand the personalities of those
>"others" to know when to listen to their advice and when to
>discount it.
>
>It's hard to predict how "late" a design could be as the result of
>a *specific* decision. OTOH, it's fairly obvious (after the fact)
>when a missing feature has cost you market share!
>
>>> [Can you imagine being asked to add a two way *radio* capability
>>> to your RADAR? "After all, it's already got a TRANSMITTER built in..."]
>>
>> Well, actually military radars have done that for decades, to be able
>> to talk to interceptor missiles in flight.
>>
>> .<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Track-via-missile>
>
>But as a separate product. You're not using the actual maggie to
>send CW.
>
>>> "Agile" just turns that into a religion! <frown> (how the hell can
>>> you start a design if you don't know what you're designing? and,
>>> you expect it to *work*? bug-free??)
>>
>> Agile can work for making small changed to a large existing codebase.
>> But it's pretty much useless for starting from a clean sheet.
>
>Agile seems to cater to indecision. "I don't know what I want
>but I'll know what I *don't* want WHEN I SEE IT!" Who the hell
>would start building a house (car, boat, toaster, etc.) with
>the likely expectation that some number of iterations are going
>to NOT be accepted? No, the *builder* isn't learning much
>that he already didn't know; it's the indecisive client who
>is doing the learning (and stunned at the price to pay for it!)
>
>I've had great success with projects using "traditional" design
>methodologies. "Let's figure out what we *want*. Then, I can
>figure out what to put into recurring hardware costs and what
>to implement in software. And, develop a test metholodogy
>BEFORE the design is released to manufacturing."
>
>As a contractor/consultant, this is a REAL win as it makes
>the deliverables stand out in very clear terms. And, the
>conditions for sign-off very explicit: walk through the
>specification and verify every stated requirement.

Well, this thread also seems to be expanding without limit, well
exceeding my ambition, so I'll bail out now.

Joe Gwinn

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Here’s What They Don’t Tell You About Tesla’s

By: Fred Bloggs on Sat, 10 Dec 2022

32Fred Bloggs